• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP20: Partner Promises!

Still not a fan of this episode. I just don't feel that Ash and Pikachu needed another bonding episode. This should have been for Lillie and Snowy, imo. The only part I liked was Ash mimicking the Alolan Exeggutor.

I found it both funny and weird that a. Rotom dex sneezed just because Ash was talking about him and b. Kukui didn't even know that Ro-dex could sneeze. And speaking of Rotom, the fact that he just up and ditched Ash shows how having a living Pokedex can have an effect on him. If Rotom ever decides to willingly separate from Ash again for whatever reason, once again he'd be totally in the dark when interacting with any new Pokemon. Of course, knowing this show, that'll never end up being a life or death situation, but would be a total possibility if this was a more mature show.

Still not a fan of this episode. I just don't feel that Ash and Pikachu needed another bonding episode. This should have been for Lillie and Snowy, imo. The only part I liked was Ash mimicking the Alolan Exeggutor.

I found it both funny and weird that a. Rotom dex sneezed just because Ash was talking about him and b. Kukui didn't even know that Ro-dex could sneeze. And speaking of Rotom, the fact that he just up and ditched Ash shows how having a living Pokedex can have an effect on him. If Rotom ever decides to willingly separate from Ash again for whatever reason, once again he'd be totally in the dark when interacting with any new Pokemon. Of course, knowing this show, that'll never end up being a life or death situation, but would be a total possibility if this was a more mature show.

This was the 20th anniversary episode, so of course it focused on Ash and Pikachu.

This was a cute, if uneventful, episode. I enjoyed watching it.

I'm still very impressed with how they've been handling the classmates. I actually really enjoy the island homebase feature they're running with right now, because the companions don't overstay their welcome. So many times in the past, it's felt like companions have been shoehorned into episodes solely because there's no place else to put them, and it becomes quite grating and wears the characters out very quickly. I love that here, we can see the classmates for a bit, and then they can all go their separate ways and we don't necessarily have to see them for the entire 22 minutes. It feels so much more natural.

It also helps that the classmates themselves are fun and so far have been pretty well written. Kiawe and Sophocles peacing out on the girls as quickly as possible was absolutely hilarious, as was Rotomdex's own excuse ("only 17 minutes and 30 seconds until Detective Laki!") It was also nice to see the girls bonding and shopping together. I still just love the positive female relationship these three have been presenting!

The dub dialogue was exceptionally bad this episode, however. It actually got worse as the episode went on. I liked the dialogue during the shopping scenes, and then as Ash and Pikachu headed towards the island and adventured there, it just became absolutely brutal. Too many phrases are repeated way too much in the span of a single episode, which is like one of the prime writing no-nos. I wish the script writers would be a little more vigilant about how much they use certain words or phrases in one episode.

Loved seeing Tapu Lele! Probably my favorite of the island guardians and that scene with the mysterious scales raining down on Ash was so pretty. The animation in this episode really made up for the awful dub dialogue.

Final thought: I really, really liked seeing Ash trying to be this hero...and failing. This stems off the last episode where I was rolling my eyes after he jumped after Pikachu. I don't want to see Ash as this big time hero 24/7, pulling all of these stunts that are just outlandish and really not possible. The fact that Ash was trying to climb up the rocks, and kept failing, and eventually had to find another way to get to Wimpod, was very refreshing. I like Ash when he has flaws and isn't capable of doing every little thing he attempts, and I feel like SM has delivered so much better on this.

I agree with Sopocles tbh, screw women and their shopping! but you have to put up with it, in the hopes you can one day date them. One day, Lille-chan, Mallow-chan or Lana-chan will notice you. Wait, three boys and three girls. Heh heh heh. I wonder what the three pairings would be.

Damn Kiawae cheated. And that was a terrible excuse Sopchles. Now Ash has everyone to himself >:]. I'd be like >:]. Or not, as I'm actually way too shy to actually up flirting with any of them. ...Rotom's excuse was fine.

I hope he buys them all jewlery, heheheh. Damn what is this episode doing to me, all this damn shipping in 3 minutes.

Ash blushed :O. ...and who's this random woman. and treasure islands, there's gonna be pirates. and why is this woman being randomly nice. Stranger danger. Probably works for Team Rocket. Or maybe I finally fell for a Jessie disguise. Or James. I really don't know who she is. Am I supposed to? if I am, then crap.

Why did one of the Crabrwaler have rabies

Rotom/Pika sneeze was lame

"what Pokemon is it?" - just listen to it talk, Ash.

This is Ash's dream paradise... but I see no other humans so I get the feeling he isn't supposed to be there. Probably trespassing. Or am I being way too over the top about this random woman.

Ash... don't drink out of random lakes like that. This episode has been a bad episode for the kids, teaching them to accept random gifts from random strangers and to drink river water face first

It's been 20 episodes Ash, your memories wont be that strong.

Just Thunderbolt them all, they're Water type. Even though they're Water type... Wimpod in water seems weird to me. I guess because you get them by attacking them with Tarous.

Pikachu, trying to get in there is a REALLY bad idea. Do you wanna get stuck too?

Feel like Ash should take the Z-Ring off before his falls break it.

Well, Piakchiu is finally smart at least. I really agree with the people who say he's just turned from an actual character to... an animal so I guess it's cool he's doing something good for once in this series. Also what's Ash's plan to get out. Oh, random vandalism, cool.

Ash not catching it is pretty standard. Adding Water and Bug would've been good.

Huh random Legendary in Tapu LeLe.

I guess most of the episode was fun but this was basically just 20 minutes of nothing. I still don't think they taught children any good lessons, though. I wouldn't wanna watch this episode again other than the first three minutes of shopping.

Terrible terrible episode. Dull as a normal ordinary episode but absolutely disgraceful as a 20th anniversary episode. The dub version doesn't change any matters, this is easily one to dump by the nearby skip bucket.

This episode does not deserve to be watchable, I mean, it's terrible at first! This was the bad episode they would come out with!

Well, I can at least say it started off strong. Now you know how us guys feel when girls want to go shopping. :giggle:

But yeah, for the 20th anniversary episode, it was pretty lame. I would've liked a short flashback to all the regions Ash has gone through or at least a name drop.

The rest was meh. The Ash/Pikachu interactions were cute enough, but the Wimpod subplot was boring, especially as he has no reason to help him out after he just had his lunch stolen.

My favorite part of this episode was Professor Kukui's reaction to Rotom's "sneeze". That was priceless.

Oh, so the group is out shopping this day. Okay... Nice seeing Poké Beans being introduced in the anime though. Rotom's excitement at seeing the Floral pattern ones was priceless.

Yeah, I was definitely reminded of Princess vs. Princess while watching this part of the episode.

So the Alola Sunrise employee randomly gives her kayak to Ash. Not sure what to feel about it. :rolleyes:

Nice Cutiefly debut in the anime. I honestly was surprised when I heard its cry; I thought it would be similar to Beautifly's, cuz you know... similar names. Am real glad this isn't the case though. :)

Argh... Ash imitating that Alolan Exeggutor walk made me cringe TBH. :rolleyes:

Yes, some alone time for Ash and Pikachu is welcome for sure. (y)(y)(y)

WIMPOD! :X3::X3:

And yet the employee is fine with Ash taking way her kayak for the most part of the day now.

The Wimpod rescuing scene was pretty nice. Typical Ash behavior there! It was great seeing Pikachu get Alolan Exeggutor's help for the purpose. (y)

I had a feeling Ash might catch that Wimpod, but eh... maybe not.

TAPU LELE?! YES!!! :love::love: Wonder if anyone from the group will meet it again. I do hope it appears during the time of Akala Island challenges.

All in all, it was a fun and lively episode. It wasn't very plot heavy for sure, but that made me like it even more TBH.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom