• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What are your feelings on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

What is your opinion on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's reveal? [Max. 2 Choices]

• It's an attempt at a quick cash grab

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Reserving judgement till more information

Votes: 73 49.3%
  • I like this reveal

Votes: 53 35.8%
  • A third version/third version pair on the Switch would be better

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I'd have preferred ANY other reveal, for any console, but not Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Votes: 19 12.8%

• Total voters
XY had its problems but for me personally it felt like every area you moved to just had so many pokemon.

That whole game I was excited because each area I moved to I was finding so many pokemon I wanted.

XY also had superior internet features and ingame things you could do post game compared to SM.

On the note of SM being story driven....Story is great but no excuse to limit in game features or have inaccessible or just unfinished in game area's.

You can get story from anywhere,books,comics,TV movies,but games are the only places you can play games.

The playing aspect should be first place and never drawfed by story like SM,the anime is the place for big stories not in game.

The games should be about you making your story.

I don't think that video games being story driven or having their own storylines is really bad. I understand wanting to just play the game and make your own story to go with it, but there are plenty of video games out there that do use the medium to tell good stories too and I don't think that should be dismissed just because they're video games. There are also still plenty of games where the story isn't the focus, such as platforming games like Mario, so both options are available. Pokemon games do have their own storylines. That's always been the case, although the storylines for the first couple of generations were a bit bare boned compared to what we have now. I do like the storyline in Sun/Moon and I thought it was paced generally well.

My only problem with SM's cutscene is how friggin' long the ending before you could try and catch Tapu Koko was.

Yeah, that was the only cutscene I had an issue with as well. Most of the other ones were short and I was engaged enough with the storyline/characters to not mind them. That one just made me worry that I'd miss my chance to catch Tapu Koko if I ran out of balls or knocked it out. They really should have had an automatic save after you became the Alola Champion.

A concern I'm having with USUM is that they'll use the alternate timeline excuse to retcon the story. I quite liked the story and wouldn't want it to be changed too much. As such, I'm hoping they further the story in this alternate timeline as opposed to changing the story completely.

My problem with SM story is that it felt like this hand was constantly over my shoulder, just guiding me. A lot of the story transitions didn't feel natural and there were never these rather large gaps of me just going through several areas battling trainers and catching pokemon with next to no interruptions.

It was just reach a new area, cutscene, reach a new area, cutscene. Just over and over and it got tiring after a while.

If there's a realistic expectation i have for these games, it's that they make the story transitions feel more natural and leave gaps in the story progression where is just you going through several areas with next to no interruptions.

All gameplay and little to no story is what got me bored of this franchise in the first place causing me to fall off for two gens. Gen 6 and 7 got me interested again so I for one appreciate heavy story. I can understand having periods with just game play a bit more I suppose, but I think it's boring just to have a static formula where you just do the same thing every game in a straight line.

Pokemon isn't owned by Nintendo either.
YW is third party while Pokémon isn't.
Nintendo owns Creatures, has investment in Game Freak and co-owns the Pokémon brand with them, and the three of them manage and license the brand through equal shares in TPC.
They have the biggest share when it's all said and done.

Last edited:
A concern I'm having with USUM is that they'll use the alternate timeline excuse to retcon the story. I quite liked the story and wouldn't want it to be changed too much. As such, I'm hoping they further the story in this alternate timeline as opposed to changing the story completely.

USUM being a different story in an alternative timeline is about the furthest you can get from retconning SM. They'd be meant to coexist, not overwrite the other.

I'd love it if they changed the story so you get to team up with Team Skull against Aether or something. It'd be pandering to the fans who wanted that to happen (like me, admittedly), but it'd be neat if the third version changed up the story more to A) show off that it's an alternate universe, and B) make it so you don't know the plot before playing because you played the originals. Like they actually put hints in the plot that lead you to think Aether's behind Team Skull's actions, but after Yungoos is stolen, you confront Guzma and mention it to him and it turns out those hints were just red herrings and Team Skull stole Yungoos just to cause trouble.

Again, it'd be blatant pandering to all the Team Skull fans, but it'd still be a neat way to differentiate USUM from SuMo so you're not playing the same plot all over again.

Last edited:
YW is third party while Pokémon isn't.
Nintendo owns Creatures, has investment in Game Freak and co-owns the Pokémon brand with them, and the three of them manage and license the brand through equal shares in TPC.
They have the biggest share when it's all said and done.
It doesn't really make much of a difference though.

My point is: Nintendo could still forbid Level 5 from making a third version as they allegedly did with Game Freak, and they chose not to.

It doesn't really make much of a difference though.

My point is: Nintendo could still forbid Level 5 from making a third version as they allegedly did with Game Freak, and they chose not to.
I'm just saying that they don't own Lvl 5 or YW so it's not like they could tell them what to do anyhow.
They actually own Pokémon however.
Ultimately it doesn't matter though since they're assured to make bank on both the 3ds and Switch now.

Last edited:
How are you so sure about this?

Because that is what an alternative timeline is.

If USUM represent an alternative timeline, then they, by nature, are not in the same timeline as SM, and so have no bearing on that story. Just like how the "Mega Evolution universe" games don't change anything about the "Non-Mega Evolution universe" games.

The only way they could affect the SM story is if there were some kind of time-travel mechanics involved; i.e., somebody goes back in time to a point before SM took place and enacts a change that causes things to unfold differently. But that'd also be blindingly overwrought and pointless, so it's pretty much not going to happen.

Nintendo have no right to forbid Level 5 from making a game, but they have rights to try and do so with GF. And iirc Nintendo didn't stop them from making Grey, but GF themselves scrapped the idea (if there even was any such idea. I don't think Grey existed) since they wanted to be unpredictable.

Nintendo have no right to forbid Level 5 from making a game, but they have rights to try and do so with GF. And iirc Nintendo didn't stop them from making Grey, but GF themselves scrapped the idea (if there even was any such idea. I don't think Grey existed) since they wanted to be unpredictable.
Masuda: As for why we’re releasing two, we thought of a game mechanic to include when we were developing Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version, but we didn’t have enough time to do it. We needed two games for that, so this time we decided to make two.

Iwata: So that’s why you made two.

Masuda: Yes. A little later, we thought of making them sequels. When you told me that if we were going to release something for the Nintendo DS system, we had to come up with something new, I was really worried. (laughs) Then I thought, “How about sequels?”

Now that Iwata is dead Masuda doesn't need to worry as much as before... Kimishima probably just cares about the last 3DS games being profitable enough without stealing too many resources from the Switch project.

Nintendo can do whatever they like,if they don't want to publish a game it won't necessarily stop a company from making it but when it comes to lvl 5 or GF where Nintendo owns the license on the games they can't release those particular titles on another system.

So if Nintendo says no it's a no

My opinion on UltraMoon: Sweet now I can nuzlocke alola without having to delete my moon save and losing all my pokemon... or deleting my moon save after spending a whole day trading back and forth with my friend in another state to save my pokemon.

but when it comes to lvl 5 or GF where Nintendo owns the license on the games they can't release those particular titles on another system.

So if Nintendo says no it's a no
Level-5 can release games on whatever platform they want. They're working on mobile ports of Yokai Watch and Snack World. What made you think Nintendo could own the Yokai Watch license? Just for the record, they're even publishing the third version of YW 2 by themselves.

I hope that any kind of third version bombs hard.

Last edited:
And iirc Nintendo didn't stop them from making Grey, but GF themselves scrapped the idea (if there even was any such idea. I don't think Grey existed) since they wanted to be unpredictable.
This is more believable. Nintendo telling GF not to make a third version seemed iffy to me either way. Either way, I'm not the person who insisted that.

Edit: Or not. I don't care anymore.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom