• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What are your feelings on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

What is your opinion on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's reveal? [Max. 2 Choices]

• It's an attempt at a quick cash grab

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Reserving judgement till more information

Votes: 73 49.3%
  • I like this reveal

Votes: 53 35.8%
  • A third version/third version pair on the Switch would be better

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I'd have preferred ANY other reveal, for any console, but not Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Votes: 19 12.8%

• Total voters
A bad pun? Here is what he says: "New features will allow you to enjoy your adventure even more, making this truly an ultra title."

No reason to assume that he's referring to the mascots in that sentence.
I know, I'm pointing out that the games have Ultra in them because Solgaleo and Lunala are UB.
Pokémon Emerald and Platinum where described to be essentially the Director's Cut of their respective games.
Here it seems to be different since no third version was hailed as a alternate story ( In Japan anyways).
It wouldn't surprise me either since GF has gone on and on about different realities as of late.

Okay. I think that it amounts to the same thing, except they're using somewhat different terminology because they've already been more open about the idea of a multiverse.

Whether or not USUM have more radical story differences than third versions remains to be seen.

Okay. I think that it amounts to the same thing, except they're using somewhat different terminology because they've already been more open about the idea of a multiverse.

Whether or not USUM have more radical story differences than third versions remains to be seen.
I'm just throwing that out there . The new movie was described nearly the same way.

Last edited:
It's also worth noting that games the third versions were typically marketed as the 究極のバージョン ( Ultimate version) of what ever game they followed up while BW2 was obviously stated to be the series first 続編 ( Sequels).
USUM are being coined as a 互い違い物語 (alternate story) so were probs dealing with some AU stuff.

This alternate story thing really worries me. I don't want some AU where Gladion is suddenly a soft and Hau a baddie. Don't change the characters please.

Same. This is the least hyped I've ever been for a main series Pokemon game.
Looking at the bright side, at least we get something... eh?

I'm just waiting until more information come out to put a final verdict. I don't think all 3rd versions are that bad (Emerald is still my favorite), so I ain't gonna jump on the hype train for now.

I think that the main reason so many people don't seem to be all that hyped for Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is the fact that there has been so little information revealed about it so far. I was really expecting something at E3. We still don't even have a Pokémon Direct scheduled for it as of this posting. All we know is that it exists. I really want to be hyped for this game, but it's hard to be when we know so little about it, especially since it's still on the 3DS rather than the Switch so we kind of know what to expect, at least in terms of graphics and gameplay. I also think the fact that there is a main Pokémon game being developed for the Switch is taking some air out of US/UM as well.

Just seems like a filler cash grab before they put out the Switch main series game in a "let's get one last bit of money out of the 3DS"

Is it really just USUM or is there more to it? I'm seeing a lot of people saying they were disappointed with SM because it didn't have enough content and USUM will undoubtedly have more and yet they're not interested. Plus as far as content goes, SM is better off than XY was and not too far off from ORAS. So is this really just about one or two games or the direction the series has gone in general? Because it's seeming a lot more like the latter.

Is it really just USUM or is there more to it? I'm seeing a lot of people saying they were disappointed with SM because it didn't have enough content and USUM will undoubtedly have more and yet they're not interested. Plus as far as content goes, SM is better off than XY was and not too far off from ORAS. So is this really just about one or two games or the direction the series has gone in general? Because it's seeming a lot more like the latter.
XY had supieor internet features which really killed SM for me.

I'm not interested in an SM with more content because I didn't like SM at all and even if I did its too soon to replay the same region.

I know BW2 did really well as did other 3rd games but I prefer replaying a region years later in remakes.

In today's society with endless entertainment options available just on your phone much less everywhere else putting out similar games seems like a horrible strategy.

It screams not caring about what the fan base wants and just cashing in with minimal effort.

I'm not interested in an SM with more content because I didn't like SM at all and even if I did its too soon to replay the same region.

I know BW2 did really well as did other 3rd games but I prefer replaying a region years later in remakes.

In today's society with endless entertainment options available just on your phone much less everywhere else putting out similar games seems like a horrible strategy.

It screams not caring about what the fan base wants and just cashing in with minimal effort.
Yeah, Game Freak hasn't really evolved with times and are just too focused on traditions. I wish that they would spread their net wider and try new features. They did a bit with Sun and Moon. But it still felt like the same old for me.

Yeah, I definitely think they should change up how they approach third versions, it seems like people are getting tired of the old formula. Having an initial pair of barren games introducing a new region and then fleshing them out later with a full new game that forces you to replay the same thing all over again to get to the new content is starting to get on people's nerves.

They would be better off trending towards DLC for this sort of thing, preferably in more of a New Super Luigi U setup. Have your initial paired version with as much as you can afford to fix, but instead of forcing you to get a separate version, just let people download the upgrade to the game they already have for $10-$20. And then for people that don't have the original you still have the option to get the upgraded version with all of the DLC. That would definitely be more satisfying to the fanbase and probably make them more money as well since the amount of people that would be more willing to pay for cheaper DLC than a full separate game would likely outweigh the loss in revenue for each individual purchase.

I think they're following up how B2W2 news was release, expect B2W2 was release in the Summer 2012 and US/UM will be release in Fall 2017. I just hope we get something next month.

Yeah, I definitely think they should change up how they approach third versions, it seems like people are getting tired of the old formula. Having an initial pair of barren games introducing a new region and then fleshing them out later with a full new game that forces you to replay the same thing all over again to get to the new content is starting to get on people's nerves.

They would be better off trending towards DLC for this sort of thing, preferably in more of a New Super Luigi U setup. Have your initial paired version with as much as you can afford to fix, but instead of forcing you to get a separate version, just let people download the upgrade to the game they already have for $10-$20. And then for people that don't have the original you still have the option to get the upgraded version with all of the DLC. That would definitely be more satisfying to the fanbase and probably make them more money as well since the amount of people that would be more willing to pay for cheaper DLC than a full separate game would likely outweigh the loss in revenue for each individual purchase.
Yeah, there's no reason for Game Freak to not jump on the DLC hype train as far as adding content goes at this point. I think they're afraid to do so because they fear we might lose said content should something involving switching systems or data storage issues occur. If GF can get over that, or even find some kind of work-around, then we might see DLC replacing third versions in the future!

Last edited:
With no Information on USUM, I'm starting to lose fate on USUM, I just hope we'll get some news next month.

I feel similarly.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm gonna skip this year.

SM got boring to me really quickly due to all of the XY/ORAS improvements and features that were removed (or replaced), and there's only so much that this game can do to address that. A continuation of the story might've been the thing to catch my interest despite that, but an AU just isn't as interesting.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom