• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"Wow, I was an IDIOT!" moments

Playing singles over Wi-Fi, this was my thought process:

'Ah sweet, he's gonna switch into Gastrodon, I know how to cripple that!'
xxxx withdrew xxxx
xxxx sent out Gastrodon
Klefki used Thunder Wave
It doesn't affect the opposing Gastrodon
'Dang it Lance, you're so high.......'

I have 2 of those... One, I remember when playing Emerald, I looked EVERYWHERE for a Beldum,and started to get desperate, until I looked in Steven´s house and found a present Beldum waiting for me!

An other moment is recently, I was battling online, and I had my Pokemon (dragon type I think) attacked by a Mega Gardevoir´s Hyper Voice. I was very delighted, until the game said "ITS SUPER EFFECTIVE", and I couldn´t underrstand what the f*ck was happening! It was only later I remembered Pixilate changes normal type moves to fairy type xD

I've always been lazy to farm money in every damn game, the same habit occurs for me in Pokemon games. So.. I was broke as usual, got an idea I could go to challenge Pokemon league again to get some fast cash.
So, I took few level ~70-80's and put Amulet coin on the leading Pokemon, then took two Pokemon to leech some xp because that's efficient... so I put lucky eggs on them and walked through the door. And right before the message about closing doors behind you appeared, my brain starts loading: "waitwhat..? do I have any recovery items just in case...?"

Guess if I had them or not. What made it even worse, I didn't remember when I last saved. >.<'

I used to re-start my games pretty regularly since I never did much in regards to post-game play, up until XY/ORAS. Sapphire was my favorite game at the time and during one of my play-throughs many years ago I randomly encountered a shiny Whismur---my first shiny! I caught it and stuffed it in a PC box, but then promptly forgot about it in my excitement of the new Pokemon game that had just come out.

A while later I decided to play through Sapphire again so I restarted my game and only later realized that I'd never transferred the shiny Whismur so it was lost forever. ;__; Oops.

Last edited:
When I first played Crystal. I thought Unown was a legendary. Full. Fucking. Stop.

I was doing a Battle Tree Singles challenge to scout more trainers, and at the 45th streak, I was distracted and simply clicked on Earthquake since my borrowed Dragonite was locked into that move.

By the time I looked at the screen, it was paralyzed, confused, and using Earthquake on a Magmortar holding a Ballooon. That was the opponent's final pokemon, and after Dragonite died, I had to send out Aegislash and promptly lost. I'm not really upset because I already got to 50 streaks before and I was only going through the Tree for scouting purposes, but the fact that I messed up what could have been an easy win due to my own lack of concentration made me feel stupid.

the first time I played gold I thought swinub was a beetle and that sentret was a cyclops bee

161.png
220.png

I guess I can...kind of see it..?

The way I had my childhood GameBoy Color taken away was that I threw a temper tantrum after accidentally knocking out Ho-Oh when I wanted to catch it. No, being a little kid is not an excuse! I miss that GameBoy!

I was something like 30 battles into a run at the Maison when I ran into a Hypnosis Gengar. Me, being a stubborn friggin' idiot, didn't switch the hell out and got freaking swept. I nearly spiked my 3DS against the concrete floor of my den that day. UGH.

Every time I have my Aegislash use Shadow Sneak when Psychic Terrain is active.

Or against Normal-type enemies.

Or when Tsareena is on the field.

Or really a lot of the times I use Shadow Sneak.

I put my event Munchlax into the daycare to breed it with my Ditto, after a while I realized that baby Pokemon can't breed.

I JUST accidentally closed Shuffle after beating Banette and getting a 72 combo
Why is this a WOW! I was an idiot moment? I closed it before got bonus score, rendering the battle pointless *facepalm*

All of my battles against Trick Room teams. Trick Room teams should be painfully predictable to me since everything on the opposing team have low Speed stats and they have at least one user that knows Trick Room. However, I tend to gang up on what I feel is a larger threat, not the one who would carry Trick Room (almost always Slowbro). I also get impatient and in one match I managed to miss a message that Trick Room's time ended the next turn (probably because in X and Y's online messages, I taught myself to ignore them because they would tell me stupid junk information that I didn't care about), so I missed the opportunity to knock out the Trick Room user and that allowed my opponent to use it again, which cost me the match.

I'm also still not used to terrain changes. I make stupid mistakes when the terrain changes all the time.

I had caught a female Emboar today via the Island Scan, and she has some pretty good IVs in the right places, so I figured I'd do some breeding and use them for Wonder Trades. So I put her in the daycare with a Turtonator I traded over from my Sun version, since I knew Mons with different IDs are more likely to breed. Plus I had the Oval Charm. About an hour later and I realized I wasn't getting a single egg. The reason... I forgot that Turtonator ISN'T in the Field Group! It's part of the Monster and Dragon groups! *face-meets-table* And here I used to think of myself as a good, competent breeder... scratch that one out. *sigh*

I once tried to breed two Pokemon (couldn't remember which), and waited for awhile thinking to myself that it was taking an awfully long time. Then I realized that both Pokemon were female.

Then there were all those times as a kid where I trained only one Pokemon (always the starter) and how I kept their old moves of the same element even as they learned better ones, or taught them HM moves. Though in fairness, that was more childhood naivety than anything.

Ghost type trial, thought it would be a good idea to wack the Mimikyu with steelium Z...
1. Did it first turn, no damage.
2. 2nd attempt, pressed wrong button, Z move used against the Haunter instead of Mimikyu, then Mimikyu summons a Gengar instead.

I had no idea what EVs were during my second playthrough of Emerald. Ended up giving all my Pokémon 10-15 of each vitamin.

Absentmindedly going through Vast Poni Canyon while doing other things on my computer and came across a shiny Golbat. Hit run and then realized my mistake.

In Silver version, only leveled up my Feraligatr through the entire Johto region, and thought Rage was the best move ever. Quit when Rage didn't OHKO Will's Exeggcutor. My Feraligatr was level 72. (Then I lost the cartridge so I never got to go back and finish.)

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom