• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What are your feelings on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

What is your opinion on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon's reveal? [Max. 2 Choices]

• It's an attempt at a quick cash grab

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Reserving judgement till more information

Votes: 73 49.3%
  • I like this reveal

Votes: 53 35.8%
  • A third version/third version pair on the Switch would be better

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • I'd have preferred ANY other reveal, for any console, but not Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Votes: 19 12.8%

• Total voters
It isn't the first time they take their time to bring news for games that turn out to be among the best entries in the franchise.. I won't judge until more info is released

Anything that rehashes the Sun/Moon games has a giant mountain to climb to even be able to begin to be among the best in the franchise, IMO.

I suppose it's a little harsh to judge the lack of news for this game so far, though. This isn't quite like The Sims 4 where no news was revealed for a whole year until right until the game was just about to be released. I'm just very skeptical of games that see droughts of information. It has always been my experience that if a company isn't showing news, they don't have much to show (that certainly was true with TS4 - from a different company, I know). Given that Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is by default a rehash of a previous title, I'm extra skeptical of the title.

Not with BW2. Only got 2 months of pre-release coverage and it added more than any third version or remake ever has.
I agree that lack of news means nothing at this point, however, I do feel like it should be pointed out that back in DS days, the marketing strategy was rather different than the gen6 onwards array of trailers and literally revealing 80% of the games before they're released.

It certainly feels at the very least odd that they're holding off news so long, but let's not forget that the 1st real trailer for SM was released in May and all we had were the game titles from Feb 27 until May. Needless to say, SM were the new generation so that was not worrying back then, but still, it ain't the first time we have to wait 2 months for news and we already know that they could dump 4 trailers a month on us if they so wished. I think August is a safe bet on when the news will start coming

The lack of news on the game is quite telling. You always see this happen with games that don't have much new to offer.
No matter how we spin-it these are a follow-up to games that we're already familiar with and it's not like this is a new start of a generation. That said they've done this before with games like Emerald and BW2 and those games are hailed in high regard by many.

That said they've done this before with games like Emerald and BW2 and those games are hailed in high regard by many.
i mean, as i've said on past pages, a game can be "good" while still being something bad. no matter how you spin it, after Gen V and VI where GameFreak showed they didn't have to do generic third versions here we are again with a generic third version. and of course they'll be the peak of Gen 7; i'm not cynical enough nor do i think Game Freak is dumb enough to ship a game that would just be SM "but a little different story" without fleshing out a fair amount of content.

i mean, as i've said on past pages, a game can be "good" while still being something bad. no matter how you spin it, after Gen V and VI where GameFreak showed they didn't have to do generic third versions here we are again with a generic third version. and of course they'll be the peak of Gen 7; i'm not cynical enough nor do i think Game Freak is dumb enough to ship a game that would just be SM "but a little different story" without fleshing out a fair amount of content.
I hope that you're right

On a side note, while BW2 are hailed as the best games in the franchise by many (myself included), it's also true that the bad marketing did hurt their overall sales to a degree, since they started marketing it 2 months before release

I hope that you're right

On a side note, while BW2 are hailed as the best games in the franchise by many (myself included), it's also true that the bad marketing did hurt their overall sales to a degree, since they started marketing it 2 months before release
What really hurt them was that XY came immediately after them.
The Pokémon Direct being announced in December really took away attention from them.

Seeing what happened with the championships makes me think they should change the name of the games to "UltraDon'tBuyMe" and "UltraWaitForTheSwitchGame" and have Bidoof in the boxart. Not only this gives the competitive players less reasons to buy the game, also it lowers our chances of getting an impactful and solid group of new forms. As if that wasn't bad enough, we've already surpassed ORAS and B2W2 news droughts.

I'd still wait for august to come around before despairing, though... we don't really know anything for certain and only have worry-induced speculation

Seeing what happened with the championships makes me think they should change the name of the games to "UltraDon'tBuyMe" and "UltraWaitForTheSwitchGame" and have Bidoof in the boxart. Not only this gives the competitive players less reasons to buy the game, also it lowers our chances of getting an impactful and solid group of new forms. As if that wasn't bad enough, we've already surpassed ORAS and B2W2 news droughts.
Platinum was announced May 2008, then released September 2008.
We only had Giratina's Origin Forme. Information didn't come until June, which was 3 months before launch.

B2W2 was announced February 2012, then released June 2012.
We only had Kyurem's Formes. Information didn't come until April, which was 2 months before launch.

With USUM, there's nothing to worry about.
At least we got a trailer which showed something .

The wait is concerning me mostly because it makes me feel like they don't have anything to show. There are new forms, some new locations we've seen two seconds of footage of, and that's it. Sun and Moon were excellent installments in the franchise that were fun to play, so I don't doubt that these games will be at least somewhat enjoyable, but what's new? Why should I put money into USUM right now when the Switch hype is already started?

Platinum was announced May 2008, then released September 2008.
We only had Giratina's Origin Forme. Information didn't come until June, which was 3 months before launch.

B2W2 was announced February 2012, then released June 2012.
We only had Kyurem's Formes. Information didn't come until April, which was 2 months before launch.

With USUM, there's nothing to worry about.
At least we got a trailer which showed something .
Except 30 second of footage is not enough, the fans want some more news so we can speculate, I'm not saying they'll release a lot of news, but give something a little more to build up hype.

Except 30 second of footage is not enough, the fans want some more news so we can speculate, I'm not saying they'll release a lot of news, but give something a little more to build up hype.
Nonetheless, it's more than we've got in the past.
The only reason why everything feels slow is because with SM they gave us news every other week.

Nonetheless, it's more than we've got in the past.
The only reason why everything feels slow is because with SM they gave us news every other week.
Looking back at pre-3ds marketing, I guess XY, ORAS and SM really did spoil us. This month corocoro comes out on the 12th, so we should get leaked scans sooner than usual. I'm sure it won't be long now, August is just around the corner and there are a bunch of revelations waiting to happen for merch, so some of them might just be USUM-related news

We need some move tutors to spice things up (Ice punch/fire punch Tapu Koko please). I wonder if they'll update the battle tree? I have full confidence they'll deliver something real good, probably just don't want things to be data mined again. They spoiled us on the last game with the onslaught of news we feasted on, now its a famine lol It'll make us appreciate the game more I think, but one little tiny piece of news would be nice... Maybe they'll show something during worlds, I saw somewhere that every year for the past 4 years, they showed at least one thing, last year was Crabrawler.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom