• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The International Dub Thread

Wait, seriously? How many other dubs are dead now in total? And hopefully the dead ones can be revived. Not everyone speaks english and/or Japanese.
The Hindi dub has got an amazingly incredible amount of years to catch up. The only sort of dub I've ever seen in terms of Hindi dubs was the original series, that's it.

It is a money issue?
I'm not too sure. And I was wrong a bit, they've gone up to XY: Kalos Quest and for some reason they've stopped. XYZ and Sun & Moon have not been dubbed yet. Maybe it's due to the popularity waning or another random thing.

CN discontinued the first Hindi dub after 14th season.

The 2nd one is up to season 10 at least (from eight onward are yet to air), in addition to however far they're into XY.
Along with movies, they're doing two series simultaneously, XY and AG (presumably done with latter, since Ash's VA confirmed that they're working on DP).

Wait, seriously? How many other dubs are dead now in total? And hopefully the dead ones can be revived. Not everyone speaks english and/or Japanese.

Well, the Italian dub is as alive as always, with almost all VAs coming all the way from OS.

The only thing that is dead about the Italian dub is the exclusive openings, which vanished after the DP arc, probably because the original singers retired.

I really miss that. The newest "Americanized" openings feel so bland and emotionless in comparison…

One of the strongest parts of our dub is the Team Rocket's motto, in my opinion. It is always very powerful and a nice display of the VA quality. Maybe I can share some of the mottoes so you can tell whether you like them or not (when I am hearing them I feel like I'm in heaven, though I am not sure if non-Portuguese people can feel it too). Here, here, here, here and here.
Those are some great mottos. It's amazing how the motto remains the same even with the lack of a director and the actors being switched so much. Did any of their voice actors reprise their roles for the Double Trouble theme, by the way? There's an interesting contrast with Jessie sounding so hot-blooded while James sounds so calm and collected there.

I'll take this chance and leave a couple of Latin American mottos with nice voice acting here and here (there are way more but it's mostly about the local jokes so...) The voice acting for Sinnoh League Victors and the BW series was awesome, they had a really good director. I think one of the best motto performances is the one from the Audino episode, but no one has uploaded it. I do have it in my computer, so I may upload it if someone's interested.

I know it's still the English dub but on CITV airings sometimes the brightness is lowered when Pikachu uses Thunderbolt or if there's a fast paced scene then sometimes it's slowed down. I believe it's also the same thing on Disney XD airing of the XY series.
Cartoon Network also lowers the brightness in Latin America. Kinda weird, to be honest.

CN discontinued the first Hindi dub after 14th season.

The 2nd one is up to season 10 at least (from eight onward are yet to air), in addition to however far they're into XY.
Along with movies, they're doing two series simultaneously, XY and AG (presumably done with latter, since Ash's VA confirmed that they're working on DP).
Is the 2nd one the Hungama dub that Bulbanews had been covering so much? They've been dubbing the entire series at such a fast pace it's hard to believe. But I do wonder why they decided to discontinue the first dub despite going so far into the series already (unless they skipped seasons or something...?) I don't know much about this, but considering how much it seems to have been marketed, it almost sounds like Hungama is giving CN a huge middle finger by doing the job way better than they ever did.

The only thing that is dead about the Italian dub is the exclusive openings, which vanished after the DP arc, probably because the original singers retired.
I thought that was because the exclusive openings were made by the channel network that aired Pokémon at the time? I assumed season 11 was when they switched to Cartoon Network (or Disney XD, I don't remember :p) I like the Italian voice acting a lot, by the way. I mean, I don't speak Italian but whenever I'd watch clips from their dub the acting would stick on me, compared to other languages.

Is the 2nd one the Hungama dub that Bulbanews had been covering so much? They've been dubbing the entire series at such a fast pace it's hard to believe. But I do wonder why they decided to discontinue the first dub despite going so far into the series already (unless they skipped seasons or something...?) I don't know much about this, but considering how much it seems to have been marketed, it almost sounds like Hungama is giving CN a huge middle finger by doing the job way better than they ever did.
No one knows, but it would be as good a guess as any that CN was more interested in airing original and regional shows. Some of the shows that did get dubbed in Hindi never aired on CN India (DBZ Kai being one of the examples. Its first 2 seasons aired on CN Pakistan instead... They use the same Hindi dubs).

Presumably, the licensing rights for the first two series eventually expired and UTV/Disney/Hungama got their hands on them. At that time, CN still had Black & White. Similar to how Disney XD is doing now in US, Hungama dedicated multiple blocks to Pokemon with reruns and new episodes. The anime is on a season hiatus at the moment.

It is saddening to see the situation of the Hindi dub. I used to watch the Diamond and Pearl Series when I was younger, and later the OS dub started, and then AG series was partially airing. The XY series was being advertised to be aired at a weekend slot. As I've now joined Bulbagarden and all, I can thankfully avoid the inconsistent dubs.

(In a side note: maybe it was due to my being young and all- I always thought the Hindi dub pronounced "Staraptor" as "Starantar". It's cries sort of seemed like "Starantah!" to me, so that pronounciation was sort of ingrained into me when I was younger. Was it my bad hearing skills or the dub was wrong?)

Did any of their voice actors reprise their roles for the Double Trouble theme, by the way? There's an interesting contrast with Jessie sounding so hot-blooded while James sounds so calm and collected there.
That's an amazing sounding localisation! I have to admit that whilst I'm not a fan of the 4Kids dub per se, I love this song and at one point I listened to it in any language I could get my hands on! Is it me or are the TRio's actors more invested & passionate in pretty much all dubs?
I think one of the best motto performances is the one from the Audino episode, but no one has uploaded it. I do have it in my computer, so I may upload it if someone's interested.
I am!

(In a side note: maybe it was due to my being young and all- I always thought the Hindi dub pronounced "Staraptor" as "Starantar". It's cries sort of seemed like "Starantah!" to me, so that pronounciation was sort of ingrained into me when I was younger. Was it my bad hearing skills or the dub was wrong?)
Maybe you misheard. They pronounce it the same way as the English dub.

That's an amazing sounding localisation! I have to admit that whilst I'm not a fan of the 4Kids dub per se, I love this song and at one point I listened to it in any language I could get my hands on! Is it me or are the TRio's actors more invested & passionate in pretty much all dubs?
What I find so interesting about that song is that each language has some unique stuff in there. Some are sung with a different melody, some arrange voice clips differently during the final refrain, etc. While that's not really uncommon for localizations, it doesn't happen much with other dubbed Pokémon songs, from what I've heard. And while I do like several of 4Kids' songs, that's the only good one from its album IMO.

Here you go.

I thought that was because the exclusive openings were made by the channel network that aired Pokémon at the time? I assumed season 11 was when they switched to Cartoon Network (or Disney XD, I don't remember :p) I like the Italian voice acting a lot, by the way. I mean, I don't speak Italian but whenever I'd watch clips from their dub the acting would stick on me, compared to other languages.

Yes, the Italian original Opening (By Giorgio Vanni & Cristina D'Avena) are the songs that Mediaset did when the anime was on their channels.
From Battle Dimension we have the english translated opening, and the anime was broadcasted on Jetix / k2 / Disney XD.
Giorgio Vanni it's a fan of Pokémon brand, he did a special opening for Sun & Moon (not official for Pokémon Company), and he did a song for Pokémon Go! too...
With the re-dub of the first 2-3 season of Pokémon we had all the other English Opening in Italian too, so now we have for all the season from 1 to DP , 2 opening theme (Mediaset + Pokémon Company translated)
:)

From what I saw of a Chinese dub, it was just a bunch of people talking over the Japanese voice acting. I'm still not completely sure if it's official.

I was in Vietnam for two weeks. The only channel I saw Pokemon on was the Disney Channel, and it was just the English dub subbed into Vietnamese. I heard there was a Vietnamese dub though, though I'm assuming it's the same two people that dub every other anime there. I saw Slam Dunk and Detective Conan in Vietnamese during my stay and it was fucking hilarious.

Those are some great mottos. It's amazing how the motto remains the same even with the lack of a director and the actors being switched so much. Did any of their voice actors reprise their roles for the Double Trouble theme, by the way? There's an interesting contrast with Jessie sounding so hot-blooded while James sounds so calm and collected there.

I'll take this chance and leave a couple of Latin American mottos with nice voice acting here and here (there are way more but it's mostly about the local jokes so...) The voice acting for Sinnoh League Victors and the BW series was awesome, they had a really good director. I think one of the best motto performances is the one from the Audino episode, but no one has uploaded it. I do have it in my computer, so I may upload it if someone's interested.

Double Trouble (and the rest of that first CD) was dubbed at a different studio iirc, so actually all the voices are from actual singers and not from the voice actors of the anime (though some of them are also voice actors, but they are mainly singers). Jessie was dubbed by Wanda Stuart, a very famous musical theatre actress, and James was dubbed by Henrique, who is also a very famous musical theatre actor here in Portugal (but he is also a voice actor, and actually one of the most popular ones here because he is the Portuguese voice of Son Goku). This is a very common practice in our dubs, the same character has a speaking voice and a different voice actor does the singing voice, so we weren't exactly shocked by this. And they kind of try to imitate the original Portuguese voices for Jessie and James - which were also very interesting, mainly for Jessie, because our first Jessie was an older, very menacing Jessie. You can listen to her here, While this may not be everyone's favorite interpretation of Jessie (and I haven't seen many older Jessies in other dubs), it certainly is very interesting.

Regarding those two mottos you shared here, they're also very good. Aside from the European Portuguese dub (and aside from the JP and ENG dubs, obviously), the international dubs I pay more attention to are definitively the Latin American dub and the Brazilian Portuguese dub. I am well aware of Equipo Rocket and I love those jokes at the motto from James. I also know of a time the voice actors switched roles for the motto, during that Lugia episode during Johto, I thought it was hilarious! am very sad to hear that nowadays your dub is not like it was, that really is a pity!

Charles Emmanuel voices Ash now. His voice is okay, but it takes a little while to get used to, especially when you have been hearing Lucindo's voice for so long. Lucindo stopped voicing Ash because he moved to Portugal, and The Pokémon Company International used this opportunity to move the dub from São Paulo to Rio de Janeiro, replacing all the voice actors in the process.

I was totally unaware that Fabio Lucindo is now living in Portugal, and I looked a bit into it and he is actually studying in my city, Coimbra! Nice!
I also read how he still gave his voice to Ash when he was already here in Portugal, using a Portuguese studio. Do you happen to know the name of the dubbing studio that was used?

Your dub is now at Rio de Janeiro, while I was also surprised to see your voice actors change after voicing them for such a long time, as a Portuguese person I find it interesting to listen to your dub nowadays, as the accent from Rio de Janeiro is very similar to the European Portuguese accent. But I am totally with you, Isabel de Sá and Márcio Araújo were very good as Jessie and James, it's a shame they were replaced.

From what I saw of a Chinese dub, it was just a bunch of people talking over the Japanese voice acting. I'm still not completely sure if it's official.
Voice-over dubs aren't unheard of in Asia, but since China even gets original opening songs from time to time, I doubt their dub's budget is low enough for them to do that. Perhaps the one you heard is not official.

This is a very common practice in our dubs, the same character has a speaking voice and a different voice actor does the singing voice, so we weren't exactly shocked by this.
We used to get this in our dubs too. For example, the TRio actually got different actors for Team Rocket Forever, and some shows had a batch of singers who would do the songs instead of the regular actors (like Phineas and Ferb in season 1, though they later decided to keep the regular cast and just use auto-tune when needed). By the way, I can't say I like that voice for Jessie much, though it is certainly an interesting interpretation.

I also know of a time the voice actors switched roles for the motto, during that Lugia episode during Johto, I thought it was hilarious!
You mean this one, right?

That one was so over-the-top I'm surprised they got away with it! If they did this now they would get insta-fired for sure.

Yes, the Italian original Opening (By Giorgio Vanni & Cristina D'Avena) are the songs that Mediaset did when the anime was on their channels.
I love them! Some of them sound too similar to each other (I bet it's the same composer), but I think that's okay when they're all so good. My favorite is Advance Battle, especially the verses "Quando un Pokémon vero si alza nel cielo // Cerca battaglia e l'attacco si scaglia". The whole refrain's rhyming is simply amazing.

As for Giorgio Vanni's Sun and Moon song, I think it's pretty good too. I've actually never heard a non-sexual reggaeton song before. Is the second voice singing in Spanish, by the way? Both languages aren't that different, but I can understand those lines way better than the main vocals.

I'll leave the song here, for those interested:

Last edited:
As for Giorgio Vanni's Sun and Moon song, I think it's pretty good too. I'm from Latin America, so I've actually never heard a non-sexual reggaeton song before. Is the second voice singing in Spanish, by the way? Both languages aren't that different, but I can understand those lines way better than the main vocals.

Well I could understand most of the lines sung in 1:40-1:55 so I'm sure it's spanish. Really nice song, I didn't expect to see Team Skull cosplays.

You mean this one, right?

That one was so over-the-top I'm surprised they got away with it! If they did this now they would get insta-fired for sure.

OMG THAT WAS BEYOND HILARIOUS! :ROFLMAO: Thanks buddy!

Russia just got Sun and Moon like a week ago.
There was a promo on the Children's Channel (actual channel name) for Sun and Moon's Hebrew dub airing between this Sunday and Wednesday

View: https://youtu.be/a6AJZAhwkH8

Since I used to live in Israel for like 2 years, I learned that the Hebrew dub was stopped for Black and White but was revived with XY in 2016. They quickly caught up and already are on Season 19. Ash had 2 voice actors, this guy who was a kid, and then his brother, who was a kid but they let him age and you can hear Ash age over time.

Russia just got Sun and Moon like a week ago.
There was a promo on the Children's Channel (actual channel name) for Sun and Moon's Hebrew dub airing between this Sunday and Wednesday

View: https://youtu.be/a6AJZAhwkH8

Since I used to live in Israel for like 2 years, I learned that the Hebrew dub was stopped for Black and White but was revived with XY in 2016. They quickly caught up and already are on Season 19. Ash had 2 voice actors, this guy who was a kid, and then his brother, who was a kid but they let him age and you can hear Ash age over time.

Funny thing is there used to be a channel here in the UK called The Children's Channel (then TCC), it then shut down around 1997 or 1998 to make way for Challenge.

Back
Top Bottom