• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Yeah it might've been ridiculous to us that Michael Haigney didn't know Charmander would show up more after the debut episode and I remember hearing that commentary back in the day and being confused by it. But I think this was back when they first started and the whole thing was still a new concept. And it isn't like his portrayal of Charmander was bad because of it. Quite the contrary.

Well I think the most noteworthy thing TPCi does that 4Kids didn't do is their butchering of the Rocket trio. Yes, 4Kids definitely changed their character and I can absolutely see how people (especially fans of the original) would be turned off by 4Kids Team Rocket but at least they were watchable whereas TPCi Team Rocket is a trainwreck. But I think Dogasu has brought up his dislike for TPCi Team Rocket in like 90% of his TPCi dub comparisons?

That he has. Even he sometimes admits it's annoying complaining about them, but it's the Wailord in the room. Especially since TPCI makes a bad situation SO much worse than it has to be... :(

M20 is doing better than the XY Movies thus far. Makes me wonder where they'll go from here with the movies...
Though I wonder if the international screenings will have an effect. :unsure:

My biggest concern about the two dubs is the fact they hire a single guy to voice numerous characters, or voice more than one main character.
As... Why Brock and James have to have the same VA in 4kids time? Why Maddie Blaustein gave her voice to almost all male COTDs in Kanto? For Pokemon it's understandable, but not for humans... TPCI didn't change it either as far as I've seen, the same thing happens.

Yeah I feel like in the 4Kids dub, especially in the original series, if there were a female COTD (or any random BG character for that matter) they would almost definitely be voiced by Veronica Taylor, Rachael Lillis, Lisa Ortiz, or Meghan Hollingshead. At least from what I can tell the TPCi dub seems to have more variety in its cast.

Yeah I feel like in the 4Kids dub, especially in the original series, if there were a female COTD (or any random BG character for that matter) they would almost definitely be voiced by Veronica Taylor, Rachael Lillis, Lisa Ortiz, or Meghan Hollingshead. At least from what I can tell the TPCi dub seems to have more variety in its cast.
That's only within the last 2 years or so. When TPCI first did it they had Jimmy Zoppi and bill Rogers do a ton of COTD's.

And 4Kids did start mixing things up around Master Quest. Dan Green was more prominent and Andrew Rannel who actually started at least as early as Season 3.

I don't think that having voice actors doing multiple roles is necessarily a bad thing. If they have a good amount of voice differentiation, then I think giving them different roles is fine. It may be a way to save on money, but it can also show that the people in the dub cast have enough talent to do more than one voice or one role.

I don't think that having voice actors doing multiple roles is necessarily a bad thing. If they have a good amount of voice differentiation, then I think giving them different roles is fine. It may be a way to save on money, but it can also show that the people in the dub cast have enough talent to do more than one voice or one role.
Maybe for four or five characters, but to do that constantly for hundreds of episodes is inhumanly possible.

I remember back when I was a kid, when 4Kids was dubbing the anime. Every character that Liza Ortiz voiced sounded virtually the same. It was particularly bad during the Jouto seasons where she voiced so many filler characters.

For the record, I don't even watch dubs anymore. I doubt it's much different for TPCi.

Last edited:
Maybe for four or five characters, but to do that constantly for hundreds of episodes is inhumanly possible.

I remember back when I was a kid, when 4Kids was dubbing the anime. Every character that Liza Ortiz voiced sounded virtually the same. It was particularly bad during the Jouto seasons where she voiced so many filler characters.

I don't think it bothered me when I recognized the voices. I don't know if I picked up Liza Ortiz voice during the Johto saga when I first watched it, but it doesn't bother me when I've rewatched the series. I remember liking it when I could recognize voice actors from different shows. Hearing Dan Green was always a treat since it reminded me of Yu-Gi-Oh! and thinking of both series at the same time practically always makes me happy. I can still see the issue in cases like Liza Ortiz voicing so many one shot characters and some voice actors only have one or two voices they use for their roles too, but the concept of giving voice actors different roles isn't necessarily a bad one. It depends on the direction and the talent from the voice actors more than anything else.

Unless you knew ahead of time or listen insanely carefully, the average person couldn't tell you Eric Stuart is James and Brock and Rachael Lillis is Jessie and Misty.

There is also the issue of cost. It'd be outrageously expensive to hire new actors each time some one shot character pops up.

That's only within the last 2 years or so. When TPCI first did it they had Jimmy Zoppi and bill Rogers do a ton of COTD's.

And 4Kids did start mixing things up around Master Quest. Dan Green was more prominent and Andrew Rannel who actually started at least as early as Season 3.
And also, TPCi has used Tom Wayland and Marc Thompson a lot in DP and BW dubbed, not a 4Kids dub only thing with Lisa Ortiz in Johto (and in Hoenn, they got tons of new people on board). Thompson is still used a lot in the SM dub, too.

Also Pokemon Origins has a lot of Cristina Vee and Generations, lots of Lucien Dodge, I like how again 4Kids is blamed for something TPCi was and still is, just as guilty of.

Last edited:
Seymour and Oswald were also both voiced by Blaustein using the exact same voice, making this episode more derivative in the dub. :p I wonder if that's why the last half of Kanto isn't as remembered as fondly by nostalgic 20-30 somethings as the first half; the show's episode plots didn't seem as fresh and new?

4Kids got rid of this amazing arrangement of the Trainer Battle theme during the rocket launch scene. :(

Last edited:
I wonder if that's why the last half of Kanto isn't as remembered as fondly by nostalgic 20-30 somethings as the first half; the show's episode plots didn't seem as fresh and new?

The hiatus after the seizure incident more or less killed the momentum.
What's more, the later parts of Kanto is when the Show started to lose the energy, edginess, emotion, and insanity of the earlier episodes, thanks in no small part of how the producers started making the show more appealing to an international audience, and easier for their censors.

Last edited:
Seymour and Oswald were also both voiced by Blaustein using the exact same voice, making this episode more derivative in the dub. :p I wonder if that's why the last half of Kanto isn't as remembered as fondly by nostalgic 20-30 somethings as the first half; the show's episode plots didn't seem as fresh and new?

4Kids got rid of this amazing arrangement of the Trainer Battle theme during the rocket launch scene. :(

1) That's...just....stupid. :p How does (hypothetically speaking) reusing a voice for a COTD we'll never have to see again make it derivative? Plus, Oswald has a German style accent and is a bit deeper in tone, Seymour did not sound "exactly the same" at all. Not even close...Blaustein clearly tried to at least sound different here. On that note, may she RIP, poor woman.
2) Not as creative, most likely. Doesn't mean it's worse, though.
3) Clefairy Tales kept more than Dogasu has let on, as usual, 7.5/14 so I don't consider 53.6% "awful" as he put it since he conveniently left out the second half of the episode on music, but that's just me. More than half isn't bad, and it'll get better on that, he and the rest of you should know that for Season "2" music wise since we still go by broadcast standards here.
4) Not to you, but to Dogasu, I have never, nor will I ever care about them erasing text on a sign in the background I will not have to care for in any way- unnecessary, yeah, but nothing important either. I am kind of shocked there's no editing though in this episode, I'll give you that, and the script was a lot better for this one than the last few or the next Kanto ep will be (are you really going to re-review the next one when you already ripped it to shreds as always?).

Last edited:
1) That's...just....stupid. :p How does (hypothetically speaking) reusing a voice for a COTD we'll never have to see again make it derivative? Plus, Oswald has a German style accent and is a bit deeper in tone, Seymour did not sound "exactly the same" at all. Not even close...Blaustein clearly tried to at least sound different here. On that note, may she RIP, poor woman.
2) Not as creative, most likely. Doesn't mean it's worse, though.
3) Clefairy Tales kept more than Dogasu has let on, as usual, 7.5/14 so I don't consider 53.6% "awful" as he put it since he conveniently left out the second half of the episode on music, but that's just me. More than half isn't bad, and it'll get better on that, he and the rest of you should know that for Season "2" music wise since we still go by broadcast standards here.
1. Well, I thought they sounded similar to me to make a comment on. :)
2. I agree. I just remember talking to some people who were reminiscing on how the remember watching the show when they were 7 (and mentioning Butterfree's release and the Menokurage/Tentacool episodes as favorites. When I brought up the Pokémonia/Pokémopolis episode (a late Kanto ep) as one of my favorites growing up they looked at me like I was crazy. :p
3. I was just miffed that they got rid of it because that battle theme is a favorite of mine. IIRC, 4Kids usually keeps battle music for actual battles, but I thought it was used for this episode pretty well.

1. Well, I thought they sounded similar to me to make a comment on. :)
2. I agree. I just remember talking to some people who were reminiscing on how the remember watching the show when they were 7 (and mentioning Butterfree's release and the Menokurage/Tentacool episodes as favorites. When I brought up the Pokémonia/Pokémopolis episode (a late Kanto ep) as one of my favorites growing up they looked at me like I was crazy. :p
3. I was just miffed that they got rid of it because that battle theme is a favorite of mine. IIRC, 4Kids usually keeps battle music for actual battles, but I thought it was used for this episode pretty well.
1. That's fair, I'm just saying, I can hear a clear difference: I can hear traces of her Seymour to be fair, but the timbre is deeper and this Oswald take has a psuedo German accent to it, Seymour was kind of unaccented in comparison.
2. Makes sense.
3. Fair again, but I'm just saying, this amount of music kept is great compared to modern times regardless. I'm impressed 4Kids didn't edit anything and wrote a good script for this one since the last 3 Kanto eps were worse than usual, as is the next one, I hope the ones after the 8th Gym battle fared better script wise.

Last edited:
Wow :eek: . It's doing better than the last FOUR Movies. May even surpass the other BW Movies if they keep this up. Especially if the Fathom screenings tip the scales. :cautious:

So yeah, I get the feeling we'll be seeing this kind of thing again...:unsure:

Last edited:
Wow. It's doing better than the last FOUR Movies. May even surpass the Keldo and Victini movies if they keep this up. Especially if the Fathom screenings tip the scales. :cautious:

So yeah, I get the feeling we'll be seeing this kind of thing again...:unsure:
Oh man, another nostalgia retreading Movie after 20? I was hoping they'd go back to the regular Sun and Moon Movie format, so I hope this isn't the case. :(

It may not impact the next movie since they would most likely already have it well into development, but that also depends on what the next movie is exactly. While we could see some more movie retellings of older series, they may want to save it for special events like anniversaries.

Back
Top Bottom