• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

POTW Pokémon of the Week #54: Rotom

Reaction score
In the World of Pokémon, there lives a vast number and variety of amazing creatures to befriend and collect. Every week, we will be focusing on a single one of these Pokémon or evolutionary line and talking about what makes it special. This week we will be looking at a Pokémon near and dear to my heart, Rotom.
240px-479Rotom.png
240px-479Rotom-Heat.png
240px-479Rotom-Wash.png
240px-479Rotom-Frost.png
240px-479Rotom-Fan.png
240px-479Rotom-Mow.png

Ordinarily an Electric/Ghost type, Rotom was introduced in Generation IV, debuting in Diamond and Pearl versions. Its name is the word motor backwards, due to its ability to possess certain machinery, leading to it gaining five new exclusive forms in Platinum, and became the only Pokémon, to date, that has had its type changed to an already pre-existing type in Gen V. Interestingly enough, despite its fan form gaining an immunity to Ground types due to its secondary Flying type, Rotom-Fan still retains its ability of Levitate. While useless in normal battling, it does have a niche in Inverse battling, since Rotom-Fan becomes the only Flying type to retain an immunity to Ground type moves.

Rotom has had several major appearances in the anime. Its first appearance was in the episode Get Your Rotom Running!. In that episode, Rotom was hanging around the Old Chateau and enjoyed playing pranks on Ash and the gang, transforming into its various forms throughout the episode. In another appearance, Rotom's Wish, a Rotom appears under the ownership of Weston, the owner of the Lost Hotel, wherfe it reveals another handy trick that it can perform, namely traveling through time. Professor Oak caught a Rotom in the episode To Catch a Rotom! and has appeared most recently in its Dex form in the new Sun and Moon series, helping Ash navigate his way through Alola.

Rotom and its five forms appears in the Pokémon Adventures manga, causing trouble for Diamond and Pearl, although it ultimately helps them defeat Charon and then decides to travel with Diamond. Rotom and its forms also appear in the Pokémon Pocker Monsters manga.

In the games, Rotom first appears in Diamond and Pearl, where it can be found in the aftergame lurking in a television at the old Chateau during the night. In Platinum, Rotom is catchable after obtaining HM01 Cut and the Forest Badge. Additionally, the Secret Key grants the player access to a secret room in the Eterna Galactic HQ, where a number of appliances for Rotom to possess are stored. In said room, there are also two notebooks that give some background to the discovery of Rotom and may hint that Rotom was, in fact, discovered by the Team Galactic Commander Charon. For a while, Rotom was speculated to be a Legendary Pokémon, since there was only one of it in the game and it played the Legendary Battle theme when encountered, however, Rotom is not a Legendary.

There are many competitive strategies one could use with Rotom, depending on the form used. No other Pokémon has the same type combination as Heat Rotom, Frost Rotom, or Mow Rotom, and it has access to such moves as Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Will-o-Wisp, Confuse Ray, Thunder Wave, Light Screen, Reflect, Trick, and Dark Pulse in Normal form, as well as access to Overheat, Hydro Pump, Blizzard, Air Slash, or Leaf Storm depending on which alternate form it is using. It's usually better to use an alternate form competitively since they all have higher base stats. However, this was impossible in Platinum, since Rotom's alternate forms were incompatible with Diamond and Pearl.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
  • How is this Pokémon in-game?
  • How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
  • Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
  • How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
  • Which Rotom form is your favorite?
  • If you could create one new form for Rotom, what would it be? What type would it have, and what form exclusive move would it learn?
  • Do you think other Pokémon should have their types changed to already existing types?
  • As seen in the anime, Rotom possesses the ability to travel through time. Do you think this devalues Celebi as a Legendary?
  • Do you think that Rotom Forms should be given signature moves of their secondary types?
Previous Pokémon of the Week:
Pokémon of the Week #1: Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, & Venusaur
Pokémon of the Week #2: Scraggy & Scrafty
Pokémon of the Week #3: Gulpin & Swalot
Pokémon of the Week #4: Porygon, Porygon2, & Porygon-Z
Pokémon of the Week #5: Emolga
Pokémon of the Week #6: Rufflet & Braviary
Pokémon of the Week #7: Ditto
Pokémon of the Week #8: Wynaut & Wobbuffet
Pokémon of the Week #9: Sneasel & Weavile
Pokémon of the Week #10: Murkrow & Honchkrow
Pokémon of the Week #11: Houndour & Houndoom
Pokémon of the Week #12: Exeggcute & Exeggutor
Pokémon of the Week #13: Gastly, Haunter, & Gengar
Pokemon of the Week #14: Smoochum & Jynx
Pokémon of the Week #15: Beldum, Metang, & Metagross
Pokémon of the Week #16: Bidoof
Pokémon of the Week # 17: Deerling & Sawsbuck
Pokémon of the Week #18: Munchlax & Snorlax
Pokémon of the Week #19: Hoppip, Skiploom, & Jumpluff
Pokémon of the Week #20: Nincada, Ninjask, & Shedinja
Pokémon of the Week #21: Pumpkaboo & Gourgeist
Pokémon of the Week #22: Mudkip, Marshtomp, & Swampert
Pokémon of the Week #23: Froakie, Frogadier, & Greninja
Pokémon of the Week #24: Rattata & Raticate
Pokémon of the Week #25: Mimikyu
Pokémon of the Week #26: Mareep, Flaaffy, & Ampharos
Pokémon of the Week #27: Delibird
Pokémon of the Week #28: Espeon
Pokémon of the Week #29: Rowlet, Dartrix, & Decidueye
Pokémon of the Week #30: Popplio, Brionne, & Primarina
Pokémon of the Week #31: Litten, Torracat, & Incineroar
Pokémon of the Week #32: Woobat & Swoobat
Pokémon of the Week #33: Vulpix & Ninetales
Pokémon of the Week #34: Mewtwo
Pokémon of the Week #35: Shellos & Gastrodon
Pokémon of the Week #36: Weedle, Kakuna, & Beedrill
Pokémon of the Week #37: Alomomola
Pokémon of the Week #38: Pidove, Tranquill, & Unfezant
Pokémon of the Week #39: Darkrai
Pokémon of the Week #40: MissingNo.
Pokémon of the Week #41: Pikachu
Pokémon of the Week #42: Bonsly & Sudowoodo
Pokémon of the Week #43: Wingull & Pelliper
Pokémon of the Week #44: Swirlix & Slurpuff
Pokémon of the Week #45: Lotad, Lombre, & Ludicolo
Pokémon of the Week #46: Kangakhan
Pokémon of the Week #47: Riolu and Lucario
Pokémon of the Week #48: Raichu
Pokémon of the Week #49: Magikarp & Gyarados
Pokémon of the Week #50: Horsea, Seadra & Kingdra
Pokémon of the Week #51: Elgyem & Beheeyem
Pokémon of the Week #52: Scyther & Scizor
Pokémon of the Week #53: Crabrawler & Crabominable

Do you like or dislike this Pokémon? Why?
Like. Awesome concept and design.
How is this Pokémon in-game?
Haven't ever used it in-game but it's probably good.
How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Rotom-W is the best, just being a Electric/Water-type with good stats, offensive and bulk, makes it nice.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
The Rotom episodes in DP, the one in BW Da! and the Rotom Pokedex in SuMo are all awesome.
How do you think this Pokémon would interact with our world?
Some people would be afraid of it or annoyed when their appliances are taken over. But others would love it.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Better stats and maybe some slightly better moveset for the forms' unique STAB.
Which Rotom form is your favorite?
Wash!
If you could create one new form for Rotom, what would it be? What type would it have, and what form exclusive move would it learn?
How about an Electric/Ground drill with Drill Run?
Do you think other Pokémon should have their types changed to already existing types?
Some of them would warrant that, sure.
As seen in the anime, Rotom possesses the ability to travel through time. Do you think this devalues Celebi as a Legendary?
Not at all, lots of other Pokemon have powers over time, for example Palkia.
Do you think that Rotom Forms should be given signature moves of their secondary types?
That would probably work better than the moves they currently have, most of which are strong but have some form of drawback.

I love the little Plasma Pokémon! The whole concept is great. Also, it reminds me of Fawful.
Do you like this Pokémon's representation in the anime? Are there any moments or qualities in particular you enjoy/dislike?
I remember liking that one episode with the Old Chateau's Rotom as a kid. I also think it's cool that Professor Oak got one.
It would probably be a cute inconvenience. So, a cat that can possess machinery, basically.
If given the power to, would you change anything about this Pokémon and if so, what would you change?
Better movepool for each of its forms would work. Or if you wanna get really crazy, a seperate evolution for each form that gets a better movepool than Rotom itself.
Frost and Mow!
If you could create one new form for Rotom, what would it be? What type would it have, and what form exclusive move would it learn?
I think a Electric/Dragon-type vacuum cleaner with Dragon Pulse would be funny.
How about an Electric/Ground drill with Drill Run?
Holy crap that's awesome
Do you think other Pokémon should have their types changed to already existing types?
I'm sure some species could use it.
As seen in the anime, Rotom possesses the ability to travel through time. Do you think this devalues Celebi as a Legendary?
Wait, really? Well that's cool, I like Rotom infinitely better anyways.
You mean Dialga, my good sir
Do you think that Rotom Forms should be given signature moves of their secondary types?
If they could instead get preexisting moves that are good and fit them well enough, I don't see the need.

After I first found about Rotom I thought he was just a filler mon with a weird comination, but after his forms were revelated I found some charm and a lot of creativity in him. My favorite form is Wash because of the water type, but Mow is decent too. He is in my Sinnoh Top 20.

I once designed a Rotom evolution that instead of inserting himself in appliances he would do it in Vehicles: Train for fire, Truck for ice, Tractor for Grass, Boat and Airplane.

In the anime, he's just as overused as Lucario. His DP and BW appareances were justified, but in XY he got first his own segment in every japanese episode, and also his own filler where only 3 of his forms apparead. And then came SM...

Rotom Pokedex gives me a lot of mixed feelings. In the games, he is outright bad, as he doesn't have a personality and is always positive and handholds the player a lot. In the anime, he is a bit more complete, but most of the time he makes the series childish. Either way, I think Rotom Pokedex is bad concept. There's Meowth, in which the fact he thinks he is a human is part of the fun, and there is Rotom Dex, which is pretty much a funny robot that NEVER thinks of he as a Pokemon or about his past life. His identity crisis is creepy.

At first I didn't care for Rotom. When I first found out of him in D/P, I thought nothing too much of him other than how creepy the Old Chateau was. I didn't dislike Rotom. I just thought he was a gimmick and that's that. When he was able to get other forms by taking over various electronics, that's when I started to really like it. Very unique at the time and especially useful in-game and in competitions. I mostly use his Wash and Heat forms as they provide a lot of coverage for any team, but they are especially great in my Drizzle/Drought teams. Frost and Mow I rarely use, but they are great in-game. The Fan form is the only one I really do not care for using, since his Flying-type and Levitate ability are redundant unless you are going up against a Pokemon with Mold Breaker and Earthquake, and those chances aren't too high, so yeah. Fan form is a no-go for me.

Rotom is mischievous in the D/P series and I loved that. The Rotom Pokedex is especially lovable. I like the personality they gave him and his Japanese voice is cute. He makes me laugh and I love characters that make me laugh.

If Rotom were in the real world, I would imagine it would be a real nuisance. It would be playing pranks everywhere and I don't think a lot of people would have the patience for it.

If I could change anything about it, give the Fan form a useful ability that isn't redundant. I guess give all the forms some kind of extra ability, if allowed, just so the Fan form could get some usefulness out of it and it wouldn't look like the programmers are favoring Fan only.

My favorite form is Heat.

If I could create a new form, Electric/Steel. He'd take over some kind of powertool and know Flash Cannon.

Nah. I think all Pokemon are fine the way they are.

I don't know about devaluing Celebi. I just see it as another plot hole created by too many writers and too many episodes down the line.

Signature moves would be cool, but I'm okay with them learning just something powerful of their typing.

• Staff
As for me, I have two pretty good ideas for a new Rotom form:

Time Machine Rotom: Electric/Psychic (learns Future Sight or Psychic)
Guitar Rotom: Electric/Rock (learns Rock Blast)

I'll admit, the "unique" moves to those forms may not be the greatest, but, flavorwise, they work out very well. Plus, I love the pun with Guitar Rotom being Electric/Rock.

I like Rotom, but I never truly used one because it would share types with a Pokemon already on my team.

I would give different stats to the different forms and give them more than just one move for each form.

New Rotom form could be Action Figure Rotom it keeps its electric/ghost powers and the figure's abilities.

I hate Rotom for taking away the unique type status from any future Ice-, Fire- or Grass- Electric Pokemon. I always think that those are unique combos but Rotom took them away (and with bad designs)

I rather like it, but I never seriously considered using one until Gen V changing the appliance forms Ghost typing.

How is this Pokémon in-game?
Pretty nifty, I've used them a few times before.

How is this Pokémon in competitive play? Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for them?
Wash Rotom is a solid player, but I'm an absolute sucker for Spin Rotom with Trick and a Ring Target to squirm around Ground types.

Not a fan of the time travelling one but it's all good otherwise.

Setting aside the incredibly rare and informative Rotom Pokédex, I think it would be a common pest.

I would exchange Spin Rotom's Air Slash for Hurricane. If Hurricane had existed in Gen IV then I know it'd have that move instead.
Alternatively, I'd give it Hurricane and keep Air Slash too, then distribute Scald, Lava Plume, Leaf Tornado, and Freeze-Dry to give the rest of them a more accurate or spammable STAB too, each with a good chance for an additional effect (or a unique quirk for Frost's case).

Either Heat or Wash. I'm quite partial to both.

Hear me out, ok? Inhabit some fairy lights, like the sort you wrap around Christmas trees. Electric/Fairy with Dazzling Gleam.

Nope. Can Rotom do this in the games? It isn't the first time the anime has just up and invented something odd.

No, the moves they already have aren't all as bad as this question might imply.

No, the moves they already have aren't all as bad as this question might imply.
I certainly wasn't meaning to imply that the moves that the current Rotom forms get are "bad."
I just was wondering if, perhaps, there could be some moves with better "flavor" for them to use.
For example:
Spin Cycle: (Rotom Wash) 80-85 BP, 30% chance of confusion (a stronger Water Pulse/Scald that confuses instead of Burns)

I'll think of others at another time. This mostly came up because of my aforementioned "new" Rotom forms I came up with and how, while flavorwise there are moves that fit with the motif of a time machine and an electric guitar, those aren't moves I would want as the only STAB moves on a dual typed Pokémon, and no other moves really existed to go along with the "flavor" of a time machine or electric guitar.

I certainly wasn't meaning to imply that the moves that the current Rotom forms get are "bad."
I just was wondering if, perhaps, there could be some moves with better "flavor" for them to use.
For example:
Spin Cycle: (Rotom Wash) 80-85 BP, 30% chance of confusion (a stronger Water Pulse/Scald that confuses instead of Burns)

I'll think of others at another time. This mostly came up because of my aforementioned "new" Rotom forms I came up with and how, while flavorwise there are moves that fit with the motif of a time machine and an electric guitar, those aren't moves I would want as the only STAB moves on a dual typed Pokémon, and no other moves really existed to go along with the "flavor" of a time machine or electric guitar.
Ohhh, right. My honest mistake then. :/

Rotom is one of the most interesting Generation IV Pokemon. The concept is really cool and unique, Levitate is helpful considering its typing(with the obvious exception of Fan Rotom), and I like the method of obtaining one in the Sinnoh games. I really disliked that you needed an event item to access its forms in Platinum, but they fixed it in later games.
I think the Fan Rotom should get Hurricane instead of Air Slash for its special move. It also has next to no use for Levitate, so something like Motor Drive could be more fitting.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom