• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Thoughts on Lycanroc Dusk

Cheetowolf of to a bad start.

Anyway have more fanart:
tumblr_ou8q5cDeGN1wpmwxoo1_r1_500.png

from lycanrocdaily on tumblr
new_lycanroc_form_by_igphhangout-dbj0d34.jpg

by IGPHHangout on deviantart
tumblr_ou91yxqxpo1wuw6qlo1_1280.jpg

by Sumisune on tumblr

Well, given the confirmation that Dusk-roc is event exclusive, I'd have to say my thoughts are that maybe Gamefreak didn't really want to create it in the first place, but the anime wanted another special snowflake like Ash-Greninja so they pulled a lazy design out and went "Here you go." because they had more important things to do than make more absurdly special pokemon for perpetual child trainer Ash Ketchum.

It kinda explains why the model is so barely altered from Midday-roc.

Yeah, they wanted to give Ash midday but couldn't because it wouldn't be special then, and so carrotwolf exists. Screw this

Honestly, you might be right... The anime creators created Ash Greninja on their own, if I remember correctly. They could've done the same for Dusk Lycanroc, which would explain a lot. God dammit.
An interview confirmed gamefreak created it because the anime people wanted them to give it a mega so Ash can have a mega, but they refused, so Ash-frog was born instead
Crap. Why do we need another Ash-Greninja situation? More importantly, how the heck can they limit an evolution to one Pokémon? It sounds very hard to program something like that.
It's as easy as altering the code on that one special rockruff I think ?

I really need to know will their be dawn evolution form for ultra moon version to be two legged

Dusk is more for the ultra sun version for four legged

After we confirmed the carrotwolf is an event distribution exclusive evo, it's safe to say nope, no dawn, because Ash doesn't need a dawn version to exist..

This being an event exclusive pokemon just makes USUM all the more... lamer? This pokemon is supposed to be an incentive to buy USUM...?

Yeah don't ask me, looks like they're not even giving us "new forms". Even this carrotwolf doesn't really mean anything for there being actual new forms or alolan variants cause it's just Ash-wolf without the Ash in it

Cheetowolf of to a bad start.

Anyway have more fanart:

This will hurt forever, won't it?

It'll probably become non-event exclusive in future generations, like Zoroark and the Rotom Forms did.

It'll probably become non-event exclusive in future generations, like Zoroark and the Rotom Forms did.
not that it's gonna make its existence better or anything...but probably, unless its meant to be like ash-frog

Wow, they really overestimated Dusk's appeal if they think that it's worthy of being an event. But it's Ash's anime dog, so I can see kids being hyped for it.
Gotta have something to distribute on release day. Just like Victini, Torchic, Beldum and Munchlax. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Hang on. something just occurred to me. We know that in the anime, Ash got Kukui's Rockruff which then became Dusk Lycanroc. What if this isn't just some Ash-exclusive gimmick? I think there's a chance that in-universe, Duskroc is going to be Kukui-exclusive instead. It's kind of like how Eternal Flower Floette is AZ-exclusive.

There was some post on here (I can't find it anymore, can someone help?) that detailed how some sort of strange light was affecting the Pokémon of Alola, and it fits with how Ash's Rockruff evolved under a strange green light. Since this clearly isn't a natural phenomenon, maybe the player's first experience with this phenomenon is going to be watching Kukui's Rockruff become influenced by that strange light. This form also thematically fits Prof. Kukui's study of Pokémon moves since CoroCoro hinted at Duskroc having access to moves of both Midday and Midnight Lycanroc forms, which would make Kukui's move research more convenient. Plus, he gets to witness a Lycanroc's true potential with the ability Tough Claws.

tl;dr summary: I think Duskroc will be Kukui-exclusive in USUM as several details line up with current information we have gotten, as well as thematically fitting Kukui's research. GF just happened to learn from the lack of an AZ Floette distribution and are doing this event promotion since it wouldn't make sense for the player to have it in-universe.

It sucks that it's event exclusive. But at the same time they wanted to connect the games and anime in some way. I guess stepping up the Ash pokemon and giving them new forms is one way to do it. Even if it means throwing the 18-40 demographic under the bus because we're either tired of Ash and want the forms with our names or want to breed the special forms for shinies or stats or just to have extra.

Frankly I would have preferred 6 more Yellow type games than event exclusive Ash forms. It just seems...more fair in a way and it's probably the better way to connect the anime to the games.

Game Freak at it again. They've done this nonsense before. You could only get Mega Blaziken in X/Y with the event but it was available in game in OR/AS. Generally these things are available in the next game but then again Deerling and Sawsbuck's forms are unobtainable in Gen VI and Gen VII (so far). Game Freak has had every opportunity to make those forms available again and have outright refused. We don't know whether Ash-Greninja will be obtainable by any other means. Game Freak needs to stop doing this. It's just stupid.

Crap. Why do we need another Ash-Greninja situation? More importantly, how the heck can they limit an evolution to one Pokémon? It sounds very hard to program something like that.

Simple. They code a Rockruff that can evolve into Dusk as another form with no visual differences. They've already done this with Greninja with Battle Bond. They've also coded Zygarde with Power Construct as a different Pokemon than the ones with Aura Break.

Now the question is, what sets this Rockruff apart from the ones that can be obtained normally? Does it have a different ability?

I definitely agree that they could have been a lot more realistic with the design. And if it's an event-exclusive Pokémon, it probably won't be distributed to everyone.

Where did you get that idea? Ever since Gen 4, the events that are relevant to said Gen have been made easily accessible worldwide. The fact that this is like Torchic/Beldum/Munchlax means everyone will be able to get it easily.

Besides, no form or species has been released only in Japan. And if they were released in Japan first, that's because they were promotion for the movie, which arrives here sometime in the fall or winter.

Hang on. something just occurred to me. We know that in the anime, Ash got Kukui's Rockruff which then became Dusk Lycanroc. What if this isn't just some Ash-exclusive gimmick? I think there's a chance that in-universe, Duskroc is going to be Kukui-exclusive instead. It's kind of like how Eternal Flower Floette is AZ-exclusive.

Rockruff never belonged to Kukui in the anime. It was just a wild Rockruff that stayed around.

Rockruff never belonged to Kukui in the anime. It was just a wild Rockruff that stayed around.

Oops. Well, it still lived with Kukui at least, right? It still seems to be the equivalent of Kukui's Rockruff in the games as far as I can tell. Still, what about the other points I made? It fits pretty well with the information we have so far, so at the very least I can see Duskroc be a character-exclusive 'mon regarding existing or new characters within USUM. All I really want is to encourage discussion beyond complaining that USUM might not be worth it.

Game Freak at it again. They've done this nonsense before. You could only get Mega Blaziken in X/Y with the event but it was available in game in OR/AS. Generally these things are available in the next game but then again Deerling and Sawsbuck's forms are unobtainable in Gen VI and Gen VII (so far). Game Freak has had every opportunity to make those forms available again and have outright refused. We don't know whether Ash-Greninja will be obtainable by any other means. Game Freak needs to stop doing this. It's just stupid.

If Duskroc was more akin to Mega Blaziken than Ash Greninja then I think the best hope for it would maybe... maybe be if Duskroc became a regional variant for something like the Sinnoh remakes.

EXCEPT this idea is also extremely stupid given what we have because 1) it's still rock-type, all Alolan variants at least changed their typing, so there's really no point to it, 2) its design is too lazy, people would outrage if that was the Lycanroc that we got stuck with- especially everyone on the Midnight side.

So, acknowledging that it's super unlikely, I'm still putting the thought out there because wouldn't it have been nice if this special Lycanroc form WAS made into a regional variant- assuming that they changed the type and didn't half-ass making it to such a degree.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom