• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Just... anything to help out poor Typhlosion would be welcome, it's the only one of the fully evolved Fire types that I actually like! Even some sort of reliable recovery for those times when Eruption's hitting with the overpowering force of a wet noodle...

Personally, I feel like it's got enough coverage with Solar Beam and Thunder Punch, but adding in Thunderbolt and Energy Ball to free up choices (don't have to force it to be a mixed attacker or to get sunlight) would help it get more use!

I like the idea of giving Typhlosion Earth Power. EQ is good, but runs off its weaker Attack stat. I agree with TBolt and Energy Ball for more options - the latter could also free up a slot used for Sunny Day.

Personally, I feel like it's got enough coverage with Solar Beam and Thunder Punch, but adding in Thunderbolt and Energy Ball to free up choices (don't have to force it to be a mixed attacker or to get sunlight) would help it get more use!

As a avid Typhlosion user, I like to invest Typhlosion in special Attack and speed for those fast eruptions. Phycial isn't a nice option for Typhlosion when a special one makes perfect sense on it. Solar Beam takes one turn, a turn which can often get Typhlosion OHKOed (unless you have a drought set up).

4 type coverage moves, normal, ground, grass and poison only?
2 Times less then both Blastoise and Charizard and lower total base stats then those...
those two learn steel, dragon, ghost and fighting moves...
If thats unfair then what?
ghost, fighting, dark, is it too much?

and something, its a toad and a ninja based poke stated in the anime like Greninja...

4 type coverage moves, normal, ground, grass and poison only?
If it's just types you're looking for, Hidden Power exists for a reason.
2 Times less then both Blastoise and Charizard and lower total base stats then those...
A difference of literally five stat points for Blastoise and nine for Charizard. Stats are important, but not so much that being less than ten points higher is gonna make or break a Pokemon.
those two learn steel, dragon, ghost and fighting moves...
Yes, but:
Blastoise has only one type that it receives STAB on, compared to Venusaur's two STAB, and does not gain coverage against its weakness with any of those types. (also, you're incorrect-Blastoise does not learn any Ghost moves)

Charizard has a double weakness and very little benefit to learning a Ghost-type move (Ghost and Dark are super effective on the same types, you only need one).

And that's not even pointing out the huge differences in their design.

You're also making an unfair comparison by pointing out what Venusaur lacks in comparison, and not what Venusaur has that Charizard and Blastoise don't. Venusaur has stat-boosting moves like Amnesia, Growth, and Curse, and healing moves like Giga Drain, Leech Seed, and Ingrain, all of which are moves that Blastoise and Charizard can't learn. You've focused solely on what types it can use offensively, when there's so much more to a Pokemon's movepool.

Starters aren't all gonna be the same. That's kinda the point of the choice.
and something, its a toad and a ninja based poke stated in the anime like Greninja...
??????????
?????????
Venusaur?????? A ninja????

Hidden Power is ehhh you know why.

-both learn 2 Times more type coverage moves not stats, that was my intention.

-Blastoise gets Aqua Ring maybe Charizard should get Roost for healing?

Yes but boosting moves take a turn and could coast you HP+ we all know what water and fire resist and are SE and how grass has to work hard to beat that.

Brutal swing and Payback would be good for the Bulbasaur line?
signal beam? it learns already a beam move why not this?
For fighting coverage maybe Revenge and Circle throw made in the air with the vines?
If it learns rock smash then wwhy not brick break?
Reversal or Seismic Toss?
Lick should be posibble for a toad.
If it gets Banefull Buncker some how by using its body to make dorns then I would be happy.

- ninja motive was stated in the anime.

Hidden Power is ehhh you know why.
I really don't. Hidden Power has a base power of 60, which is literally twice that of Lick, and you've been pushing Lick as Ghost coverage for Bulbasaur quite a lot.
Then why did you bring up stats at all?
-Blastoise gets Aqua Ring maybe Charizard should get Roost for healing?
I feel like my point went completely over your head. I didn't list Venusaur's healing moves because I thought the other two needed healing moves as well, I listed them to show that Pokemon don't all get the same moves. Venusaur can do some things Charizard can't, and Charizard can do some things Venusaur can't. Pokemon are supposed to be different.
Yes but boosting moves take a turn and could coast you HP
Amnesia and Curse boost Venusaur's defenses, thus lowering the damage it takes. And are you seriously going to pretend that losing health undermines those moves' value when I just listed Venusaur's healing moves?
+ we all know what water and fire resist and are SE and how grass has to work hard to beat that.
Do you mean to compete with, or to face off against?

Also, you completely ignored PokemonTrainerV's earlier point:
Last time I checked Mega Venusaur is the most viable Mega starter as a stall and fairy-slayer.
http://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/venusaur/

In fact, Blastoise is the only Kanto mega starter that isn't OU. And Charizard's the weakest non-mega Kanto starter. It's PU and Venusaur and Blastoise are RU.
Venusaur's already doing quite well for itself. Types aren't everything.
If it learns rock smash then wwhy not brick break?
Because Rock Smash is an HM, and HMs are put in more Pokemon's movepools so players don't have to catch specific Pokemon to use them.
Reversal or Seismic Toss?
Seismic Toss deals direct damage, it's not Fighting-type coverage. You can't suggest moves if you don't even know how they work.
If it gets Banefull Buncker some how by using its body to make dorns then I would be happy.
A little fast to be hoping for signature moves to be given out, isn't it?
- ninja motive was stated in the anime.
Please be more specific. I looked through Venusaur's article, there's no mention of ninjas in its design at all.

I really don't. Hidden Power has a base power of 60, which is literally twice that of Lick, and you've been pushing Lick as Ghost coverage for Bulbasaur quite a lot.

I know, but atleast I could determine it and paralyze the foe.
"Hidden Power inflicts damage using a type and power determined by the user's IVs."

Then why did you bring up stats at all?
Becuse total stats also matter a little in tha proces.
If you look at all detail enough.

Pokemon are supposed to be different.
Know and love that.
and starters not?
Why then not buff a little, I dont say too much, but a little coverage.

Amnesia and Curse boost Venusaur's defenses, thus lowering the damage it takes. And are you seriously going to pretend that losing health undermines those moves' value when I just listed Venusaur's healing moves?

good then why not add it Leech life? I know that defense is important but you know that it depends what kind of oponet you have % Chance to meet with in battle.

Do you mean to compete with, or to face off against?
both.

Venusaur's already doing quite well for itself. Types aren't everything.

yes , but coverage means it could do a little more, not all. Did I say something about ice, flying moves? did I???
I wanted some more coverage, if you analyse other grass starters and other starters you will see what I see.
check it out first but realy with details.

Because Rock Smash is an HM, and HMs are put in more Pokemon's movepools so players don't have to catch specific Pokemon to use them.

but if it can do that then why not more? lame excuse.

Seismic Toss deals direct damage, it's not Fighting-type coverage. You can't suggest moves if you don't even know how they work.

that was a test for reflex, but nicely handled. good job.

A little fast to be hoping for signature moves to be given out, isn't it?

hope is the mother of the damned, but who looses it is lost.
Why not? It would be nice replacement for Protect.

Please be more specific. I looked through Venusaur's article, there's no mention of ninjas in its design at all.

pokemon XY anime ninja village episodes and ninjas.
In Johto there was also a episode with Ash bulbasaur in a ninja trening camp.

I know, but atleast I could determine it and paralyze the foe.
"Hidden Power inflicts damage using a type and power determined by the user's IVs."
There are Hidden Power readers and IV readers in the game. It is entirely possible to get the Hidden Power you want.
Becuse total stats also matter a little in tha proces.
If you look at all detail enough.
You're flipflopping here. First you bring up stats, then when I point out that the difference between them is small, you said:
Either it matters or it doesn't, pick a side.
Know and love that.
and starters not?
I've been pointing out the differences in the starters movepools, and saying that Pokemon are not going to have the same capabilities. You've been pushing for Venusaur to get moves just because it can't do the same things as Charizard and Blastoise. You can't ask "are starters not supposed to be different?" when you've been trying to make them the same.
good then why not add it Leech life? I know that defense is important but you know that it depends what kind of oponet you have % Chance to meet with in battle.
Why does it need Leech Life? Giga Drain has nearly the same base power, gets STAB, and is a special move. It's much more suited for Venusaur than Leech Life, and it served the same purpose.
So when you said
+ we all know what water and fire resist and are SE and how grass has to work hard to beat that.
You meant for both competing in general, and if a Grass-type went up against a Water or Fire type?

Because Grass doesn't have to "work hard to beat" Water. It's super effective. Done and done. And of course Grass would have to work hard to beat Fire-Fire's super effective against it. That's just how types work. Why send out a Grass-type against a Fire-type in the first place?
I wanted some more coverage, if you analyse other grass starters and other starters you will see what I see.
check it out first but realy with details.
Now we're back to "make Venusaur more like other Pokemon" again.

I checked the other Grass-type starters, and we have:
  • Meganium-learns one Dragon move, two Ground moves, and one Rock move by breeding. (While it does learn Counter, a Fighting-type move, Counter deals direct damage, and so does not give coverage)
  • Sceptile-Grass, Dragon (its two STABs), Bug, Dark, Fighting, Ground, Rock. Before this becomes a "gotcha!" moment, I'd like to point out its stats-Sceptile has a much lower Defense and Special Defense than Venusaur-its stats are clearly showing that it was designed to be an attacker. It's got more types to attack with because it was designed to. (and that's skipping over the fact that its Attack and Special Attack are nearly the same as Venusaur, too)
  • Torterra-Grass, Ground (its two STABs), Rock, two Dark-type moves, and one Fighting-type move. (Superpower is not exactly stellar for coverage, with 5 PP and 70 accuracy) Worth mentioning that Torterra isn't weak to Psychic like Venusaur, so it does not get coverage against a weakness with Dark.
  • Serperior-Grass, Dark (two moves, one by breeding), Flying (one by TM) Dragon (one move by TM, one by breeding with previous gen mons), and one Steel move that must be chainbred.
  • Chesnaught-Grass, Fighting (its two STABs), Rock, Bug, Dark, Dragon, Flying, Ghost, Ground, Poison, Steel. Certainly a lot more than the other Grass-type starters. It also holds the record for most weaknesses.
  • Decidueye-Grass, Ghost (its two STABs), Bug, Dark, Flying, Fighting. (I think it's worth mentioning for Decidueye that the only coverage Dark-type moves have that Ghost-type moves don't is that they can hit Normal-types. Decidueye's not getting any more coverage with Dark.)
But notice the problems these Pokemon have to deal with that Venusaur doesn't:
  • Meganium-It cannot learn any Poison-type attacking moves, unlike Venusaur, and it only has one type that it receives STAB on. It also does not have a Mega Form like Venusaur, and has five weaknesses, one more than Venusaur and three more than Mega Venusaur.
  • Sceptile-Regular Sceptile has only one STAB, five weaknesses (one more than Venusaur, three more than Mega Venusaur), and no Poison moves. Mega Sceptile has two STABs, but also gains another weakness on top of it (technically two, but it loses its weakness to Fire), and it becomes doubly weak to Ice.
  • Torterra-No Mega form, double weakness, no Poison-type attacking moves. Four weaknesses, the same as Venusaur but two more than Mega Venusaur.
  • Serperior-No Mega form, no Poison-type attacking moves, only one STAB. Five weaknesses, one more than Venusaur and three more than Mega Venusaur.
  • Chesnaught-No Mega form, double weakness, and the most weaknesses of all starters. (that's all starters ever, not just Kalos or Grass-types)
  • Decidueye-No Mega form, no Poison-type attacking moves. Five weaknesses, one more than Venusaur and three more than Mega Venusaur.
You're lamenting Venusaur's lack of coverage compared to others and ignoring the fact that it doesn't need any. Its a Grass-type with two weaknesses-it's not exactly suffering.

but if it can do that then why not more? lame excuse.
"It can do this, why not do more?" is an absolutely ridiculous justification. Eevee can learn Shadow Ball-why not let it learn Shadow Force? "Why not more?" is a question that has already answered itself-because it is more.

And Venusaur's not the only Pokemon that learns Rock Smash but not Brick Break. Take a look at their pages.
that was a test for reflex, but nicely handled. good job.
Reflexes? On an online forum, where I can reply at my own pace? Just admit you didn't know how the move worked. There's nothing wrong with making mistakes.
hope is the mother of the damned, but who looses it is lost.
Somehow, I don't think it'll be the end of the world if people stop hoping for signature moves to be passed out.
Why not? It would be nice replacement for Protect.
Why does it need a replacement for Protect at all?
pokemon XY anime ninja village episodes and ninjas.
In Johto there was also a episode with Ash bulbasaur in a ninja trening camp.
....A ninja using a Pokemon does not mean that ninjas influenced its design. (especially when they're not even from the generation Venusaur debuted in)

Blastoise gets Aqua Ring maybe Charizard should get Roost for healing?
Here's the part of that post which really bugs me. Charizard can already learn Roost. TM51 in Generation IV and TM19 in Generations VI and VII. I'm trying not to come across as openly rude or demeaning towards you but it's starting to look like you're just barely skimming over Pokémon learnsets in Bulbapedia.

If we were talking about giving Zapdos Hurricane instead of things like Lick for Venusaur then yeah, I'd be right on board. Goodness knows the poor thunderchicken needs an specially oriented Flying STAB not named Air Cutter and having Hurricane alongside Rain Dance and Thunder would be a great way to give it more of an offensive bite. That's just one example of a suggestion which actually helps the Pokémon in question. Even gaining Lugia's Aeroblast wouldn't be too bad after Entei randomly got Sacred Fire from Ho-Oh last gen.

Another idea? Giving Play Rough to Xerneas, Diancie (for the Mega), and Tapu Koko, three Fairy types with good Attack stats yet no physical STAB for that type. I personally hated having to go mixed with Mega Diancie before it got Power Gem, while Koko is forced to use its weaker Special Attack. I'll admit that Xerneas probably doesn't need this though, it's just me wishing that 131 base Attack stat saw more use.

Oh, gosh, yes! I know legendaries aren't supposed to have a huge movepool (though that seems a little dumb, given they can't be used in PVP), but at least let them use their best stats with their STAB, for goodness sakes!

I found a whole list of these I had so here's some interesting ones:

Pidgeot is actually pretty lacking in Special Attacks with Hurricane and Hyper Beam as the best of its STABs. Its next best Normal move is Uproar which just like Hyper Beam isn't so appealing. Since it can learn some sound-based moves I think Pidgeot could get Hyper Voice or possibly even Boomburst. Pidgeot can get Ominous Wind and Heat Wave through move tutors supposedly due to associations with wind. If that's the case for Pidgeot getting these moves of other types then, along with it also being known to create powerful windstorms, I propose that it could also get Blizzard. Like Hurricane in power and accuracy Blizzard would greatly benefit from Mega Pidgeot's No Guard. And if you're still itching for more great coverage to take advantage of No Guard then why not throw in Focus Blast for very good measure.

I like the idea of Donphan learning Flame Wheel possibly by egg more or maybe even level up. Donphan already has better Fire coverage with Fire Fang but it just makes sense to give it access to Flame Wheel in some way if it's gonna be curling up into a wheel to attack.

Being based on butterfly fish I feel that Lumineon is more than qualified enough to learn Quiver Dance. It isn't gonna start wrecking fools any time soon if it does learn it but it would at least be a big help for such an underwhelming Pokemon.

With the buff it got this generation Eelektross can make great use of Leech Life. Eelektross is based on animals that are known for latching onto other animals and sucking their blood so it's pretty surprising it doesn't already learn this move. Y'know looking at the page for Leech Life it's kinda scary just how many creatures that are not bloodsuckers as we know them do so in the Pokemon world.

Last edited:
You're flipflopping here. First you bring up stats, then when I point out that the difference between them is small, you said:
read all I wrote before.

Either it matters or it doesn't, pick a side.
you are mocking me? it does.

trying to make them the same.
why the same? only bacause I wanted more coverage? you are funny with this one. Stop saying me what I do and think.
You are very conservative you know that?

Why does it need Leech Life? Giga Drain has nearly the same base power, gets STAB, and is a special move. It's much more suited for Venusaur than Leech Life, and it served the same purpose.

but could complete its hp draning capabilities against psychic and dark types. You know its weak to psychic.

Because Grass doesn't have to "work hard to beat" Water. It's super effective. Done and done. And of course Grass would have to work hard to beat Fire-Fire's super effective against it. That's just how types work. Why send out a Grass-type against a Fire-type in the first place?

most water types learn ice moves.
It's a pitty that we have no information on bulbapoedia about how many % of pokemon are slower or fater then the ones we already have.

sending something weak , is then when you want to surprise your foe with a unknown strategy that he cant predict if we count ale pokemon movesets and abilities currently.

Torterra-Grass, Ground (its two STABs), Rock, two Dark-type moves, and one Fighting-type move. (Superpower is not exactly stellar for coverage, with 5 PP and 70 accuracy) Worth mentioning that Torterra isn't weak to Psychic like Venusaur, so it does not get coverage against a weakness with Dark.
bite and crunch?

Decidueye-No Mega form, no Poison-type attacking moves. Five weaknesses, one more than Venusaur and three more than Mega Venusaur.
Seriously its very lame that only 2 or 3 from 7 grass type starters learn good poison moves. thats a little frustraiting, but most get toxic or so,mething it that kind.

suffering.
compare also them to the water and fire starters now.
I know that you think all is alright but look at them and think if Serperior, Meganium and Sceptile should not really learn a poison damage dealing type move?

There's nothing wrong with making mistakes.

It wasnt a big one, this is only a game forum.

Why does it need a replacement for Protect at all?

why do we have diffrent kind of "protects" , the shielding moves?(quick guard, protect, detect, banneful buncker, kings shield, spiky shield???)

Somehow, I don't think it'll be the end of the world if people stop hoping for signature moves to be passed out.

we now have Z-moves, but hope they dont overdoo it to much with signaturness.
We want more pokemon(abilities, type couplings, forms) not only super powered moves.

I think the anime staff works strictly with the game staff and they know mostly what they are doing, or maybe they should start do do that.

read all I wrote before.
I did. I literally quoted what you said.
you are mocking me? it does.
I'm not mocking you. I'm asking you to stay with one opinion and not switch it mid-conversation.
why the same? only bacause I wanted more coverage?
Yes. You've said that because these other Pokemon have X amount of coverage, Venusaur should also have that amount. That's making them more similar. And when I pointed out that Venusaur had access to more healing moves than Blastoise and Charizard, your reaction was to immediately look for ways that they could get healing moves, too.
you are funny with this one. Stop saying me what I do and think.
You are very conservative you know that?
Do you realize how hypocritical you're being here? Right after saying "stop saying me what I do and think", you tell me how I'm thinking. (I don't understand what conservative is supposed to even mean in this context) If you don't want people to assume things of you (and I fail to see how I was assuming anything, given I was quoting your previous posts), then you should do the same for others.
but could complete its hp draning capabilities against psychic and dark types. You know its weak to psychic.
Giga Drain works just fine against a Psychic-type, Psychic and Dark don't resist Grass. It's better to have one move that serves its purpose than to try take up two slots and spend EVs in more stats (Leech Life is a physical attack) just because one move is supereffective.
most water types learn ice moves.
And? If we're basing the battle just on which type can learn moves that are super-effective against the other, Grass still wins. (STAB+Super effective is stronger than super effective alone)
It's a pitty that we have no information on bulbapoedia about how many % of pokemon are slower or fater then the ones we already have.
What do you mean by the Pokemon we already have?
sending something weak , is then when you want to surprise your foe with a unknown strategy that he cant predict if we count ale pokemon movesets and abilities currently.
....No, sending in something weak on purpose just to confuse people isn't going to help you win. If I brought a knife to a gun fight, I'd get maybe five seconds of "what is he thinking?" before being shot. Look at past VGC winners-have any of them given up a slot on their team just to confuse people? (And it's worth mentioning that the element of surprise would only get you so far before people knew you brought in an intentionally weak Pokemon.)
bite and crunch?
Yes, Bite and Crunch are its two Dark-type moves. I don't know what you're trying to say here.
compare also them to the water and fire starters now.
I think I've done more than enough research for you. I'm not going to go down a list of starters just to prove that Fire and Water starters are different from Grass starters.
I know that you think all is alright but look at them and think if Serperior, Meganium and Sceptile should not really learn a poison damage dealing type move?
We're back to the same situation we were when I brought up Venusaur's healing moves. As soon as I point out another difference in a Pokemon's moveset, you want the other Pokemon to have that as well. Rather than accept that there are things that Venusaur can do that Serperior can't, and things Serperior can do that Venusaur can't, you want them to have the same coverage.

It wasnt a big one, this is only a game forum.
Exactly. There's nothing with mistakes, and that was a small one. You don't have to pretend it was an intentional trick, we can just move on from it.
why do we have diffrent kind of "protects" , the shielding moves?(quick guard, protect, detect, banneful buncker, kings shield, spiky shield???)
Quick Guard only affects priority moves, King's Shield is only given to one Pokemon, and Spiky Shield is only given to four. Detect is given to Pokemon that can't learn Protect.

Baneful Bunker is certainly useful, but it doesn't have to be given to Venusaur to replace anything.
we now have Z-moves, but hope they dont overdoo it to much with signaturness.
Exactly what do Z-moves have to do with giving signature moves to other Pokemon?
We want more pokemon(abilities, type couplings, forms) not only super powered moves.
Shockingly, both new Pokemon and new moves can created.
I think the anime staff works strictly with the game staff and they know mostly what they are doing, or maybe they should start do do that.
Of course they know what's going on in the games-they literally work for the Pokemon company. That doesn't mean that every trainer a Pokemon appears with was a factor in its design.

Blastoise and Charizard, your reaction was to immediately look for ways that they could get healing moves, too.
because they have them.

then you should do the same for others
remember your own words.
Plus you dindt answer my question what moves would you add to its moveset?
Technically a pokemon if they introduce next generations should be abble to learn moves from those.
+we get more and more competition every generation for it.

hypocritical
that wasnt hypocritical. wait till you see your own failures more.

Plus what gives you attacking my and my opinion. If we make a poll about venusaur?

And it's worth mentioning that the element of surprise would only get you so far before people knew you brought in an intentionally weak Pokemon

Theoretically the games themselvs and tthe anime want us to try to beat type advantages too and not only choose the lazy path of using them.

Of course they know what's going on in the games-they literally work for the Pokemon company. That doesn't mean that every trainer a Pokemon appears with was a factor in its design.

but you know about the failures made in the anime?

Ok I will make a poll about Bulbasaur line and it getting more coverage moves, this way we will see what people think really.

Theoretically the games themselvs and tthe anime want us to try to beat type advantages too and not only choose the lazy path of using them.

If that were really the case in the games then all VGC champions would be using Pikachu, Piplup and Oshawott.

The anime does anything that gives it TRP while promoting the games, even is it means giving Ash a Magikarp.

There is literally no way they're going to win. Any experienced player after seeing such Pokémon will be first surprised, but then get their act together again and OHKO them. Any Raichu can comfortably defeat Ash's Pikachu in the games, for instance.
not if you have male/female situation with sweet kiss or attract.
Fake Out, Encore, Nasty Plot, Swagger, Sleep Talk, Substitute, Rest, Facade, Toxic.
Depends what Pikachu... Ashes is not the only one and the species knows more moves.

because they have them.
Funny, because what you said was:
maybe Charizard should get Roost for healing?
You didn't know that Charizard could get Roost. You didn't check.
Plus you dindt answer my question what moves would you add to its moveset?
I did, as a matter of fact.
Perhaps in the future you could try to read through my entire post before saying I didn't respond?
that wasnt hypocritical.
Yes, it was. If you tell me to not assume how you think, and then tell me how I'm thinking, you're being hypocritical. There's no way around it.
wait till you see your own failures more.
Excuse me?
Plus what gives you attacking my and my opinion.
There's a big difference between attacking an opinion and debating it. I'm not saying your idea is stupid, I'm stating facts that I believe show Venusaur does fine without having to have its moveset expanded.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom