• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Misty & Brock Confirmed for Pokemon Sun & Moon Anime

Wow. Just...wow. I saw posts about an "original trio reunion" all over the place but I thought it was the usual wistful thinking. Then I realized it wasn't...it was real.

I'm honestly speechless. I really, really never thought we'd see old companions again. I thought that whole idea was (unfortunately) dropped. I actually teared up when I saw it was real. Misty is my favorite character in the entire show. I haven't been this genuinely shocked and happy about an anime reveal in a long, long, LONG time. I still have a huge smile on my face from this news!

Hopefully this means we might see other old companions along the line as well. Either way, I was already really enjoying SM, but this adds on major points for me. I'm honestly just ecstatic.

How is it too early? Didn't May and Dawn make their appearance in DP and BW already at this point of time?

No, only Misty came back around this early (she came back at almost the same number of episodes, 44, in Hoenn). May was back at about 75 episodes (although DP moved relatively slow) and Dawn was back at about 85 episodes - but also after Ash had collected all his badges, so generally speaking way later. I wouldn't be too worried about Serena, there is still plenty of opportunity, and at the very least she will almost certainly appear in something again, even Iris got a special (although that happened about 20 episodes into XY - have no idea why because the timing seemed irrelevant - point being she was far less popular and still got something).

I can't wait for the inevitable Serena cameo where everyone is mad because Satoshi is no longer the dull, typical shounen protagonist so Amourshipping is fundamentally different (though props to the writers if they pick up on this and play it for shits and giggles by having Serena have grown out of her childhood crush like most children do in real life).
Interesting thought, but the interview with the dierector says they intended the viewers to assume Ash and Serena being a couple in the future so I don't think Serena is going to "grow" out of it.

I do have some concerns about these episodes though... Hasn't it been a pokemon anime tradition where they hype up an episode and it turns out to be disappointing? This is going to boost their ratings and merchandise sales no doubt - but I'm a bit worried they might be playing with the nostalgia feelings without really much of a care for the quality of the episodes. Just the mere ad of them appearing has certainly garnered attention, and people are going to flock toward the screen on that date just to see Misty and Brock. It wouldn't be a stretch for the production to think people are going to be happy with the two coming back even if the episode plot turns out horribly bad and boring.

Knowing Serena, she'll accept any Ash as long as he's kind, bold and inspirational. And considering that Ash is still like that even when being goofier, Serena is going to accept him.

Speaking of which, how will the dynamics of the old gang play out? Will it be a continuation of what was started before? Or will it be a throwback to their original dynamics (Ash and Misty bickering for example).

Speaking of which, how will the dynamics of the old gang play out? Will it be a continuation of what was started before? Or will it be a throwback to their original dynamics (Ash and Misty bickering for example).

I'm thinking probably a watered-down version of their Kanto dynamic. It's what's most well-remembered but I don't think it would exactly fit into Sun&Moon's tone so they'll probably tone it down a bit.

thanks for the clarification guys <3

Knowing Serena, she'll accept any Ash as long as he's kind, bold and inspirational. And considering that Ash is still like that even when being goofier, Serena is going to accept him.

Well let's just say that physical abuse is not a cute look anymore <3

My reaction to this news is like that The Office meme. Everybody remain calm!! :D

This is great. I thought the writers screwed both Misty and Brock over with their departures from the show and their omissions from the M20. Now, they are back again in canon!!!

Rejoice people, OUR CHILDHOOD is back.
Who would have ever thought that Brock and especially Misty are returning in main anime?:D

Don't get me wrong im very happy Brock is coming back and on top of that with mega evolution. But, im way more excited for Misty return. Putting aside fact from being my favorite nmain character in pokemon, we haven't seem tomboyish mermaid(pun intended) for more than 11 years. THIS is glorious and majestic day.

My greedy side wants them to be returned for entire season, but i gues two episodes will be sufficient for now. Especially given how little we get regarding this characters in this show with even 20th anniversary movie not giving them love and recognition.

I cant wait to see Misty and Lana bond over water pokemon and their siblings. See her and Brock make new friendships with SM cast(Misty used to fear Gyarados and she has lot of inhibitions regarding bug pokemon so she could perhaps better relate to Lillie general fear of touching pokemon helping her to extent) , revisit feelings and bond they had with Ash remembering on older days and how much they mean to each other. Witnessing to dance of sarcasm, teasing, comedy, love and mutual support and understanding prevailing betsween those three. All in good spirited nature of course.

Most importantly i would like to hear about Brock and Misty solo adventures, how much things changed for them. Where they have been to;aterall this opens possibility of Misty leaving Kanto in padt to learn about mega evolution and acquire key and mega stone. Implying she may have resumed her water pokemon master career resolving problems with sisters lack of responsibility.

And im very pleased that Ash is gonna battle his two old friends.
Brock having mega Steelix and Misty having mega Gyarados makreds them more powerful and respectable as trainers on a whole new level. And mega Gyarados in case of going vs at times overpowered Pikachu could logically actually stand a chance.

EDIT:On a side note; I read some speculate how this episodes might be compensation for Misty and Brock omission in anniversary movie. Being directors way of responding to backlash trying to mitigate it.

Usually pokemon episodes are planned 6 months in advance so that seem unlikely. Unless Misty and Brock coming back are reactionary episodes being quickly written and prepared after writers and executives done research on general mood surrounding 20th anniversary both in Japan and overseas changing plans for some before scheduled to air episodes.

However reactionary episodes happening without being planned much more in advance are extremely rare occurrence for any series, so im not sure how much this is even possibility?

I mean Steelix wasn't even really Brock's anymore (Forrest was using it as Gym Leader).
The Steelix technically still belongs to Brock; he just lent it to Forrest. It will always be his to own.

I am VERY GLAD :X3::X3: to see Misty and Brock make a return, but... *sighs* as always, the character designing of SM is still a bane in my happiness. Guess, my fears were not unfounded. :( Still, I hope this return will not just be a nostalgia trigger, and we actually get to know more about their off-screen adventures and development. Bonus points if we get to see characters like Misty's Starmie and Seadra (yes, I said it) and Brock's Chansey.:X3: And while they are it, it would be nice to see other characters make a return as well. I am still looking for my Iris cameo, writers. Though it would be appreciated if they do away with their art-style before doing any other character returns!

Sprites & Episode Titles
New info!
Here's the episode titles for the episodes they will be in:

Sept 14: "Kanto in Alola! Brock and Misty!!"
Sept 21: "Gym Battle! Z-Moves vs Mega Evolution!!"

And here's a full look at them + them with Ash:

DIYwvggUIAAqSIg.png%3Aorig
DIYxODRV4AAjgQU.jpg:large

I hope the fanbase remains happy with this alone. "We NEED x too!" Is just setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.

We as a fanbase keep increasing our expectations. "We NEED more previous references in Sun and Moon!" > "We NEED NEED TO SEE MISTY AND BROCK otherwise I'll leave!" >"I HOPE ALL OF OAKED POKEMON APPEAR!" > "I HOPE [Random Character] APPEARS" > HOPE MISTY AND BROCK BECOME COMPANIONS AGAIN AND BE WITH ASH FOR WHOLE SAGA AND THE SAGA AFTER NEXT HAHAHHAHA"

Geez people, these are just 2 20min episodes...

I wonder why Brock chose to delve into mega-evolution? I can see Misty since she is a gym leader, but Brock when on the Pokemon Doctor route... so I don't see why he'd go for it?

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom