• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Misty & Brock Confirmed for Pokemon Sun & Moon Anime

I think it's fair to worry about anything from previous series being contaminated by what SM has done to the franchise. Their designs are already bad enough.

'contaminated' is a strong word.

Not directed at anyone at all, but some people seem to think that either the Sun/Moon anime; or the TPCI dub are their mortal enemies.

'contaminated' is a strong word.

Not directed at anyone at all, but some people seem to think that either the Sun/Moon anime; or the TPCI dub are their mortal enemies.

Well I understand people like the SM series and that's fine; to each their own and we all have different tastes. But I was specifically talking about character designs there moreso. Even though I don't care for the SM series I understand its positive points, but the character designs aren't one of them. I for one just don;t like seeing my childhood transformed into warped shells of their former selves.

Sorry I'm late to the party, haven't had a chance to sit down at my computer.

But oh my gosh, I can't even believe it. You know my friend and i were discussing something lie this? We were in the cafe at the college we go to, just discussing Ash's old companions and how we'd love to see them all again, and all his old Pokemon. Like an hour after this discussion I check over youtube and I see a video announcing this. This is actually amazing!

I wonder how them reuniting will be treated, because right now it looks like this confirms that yes, this Ash is the same Ash we've known. I had a theory that the Sun and Moon Ash was a different one, but if this is really them reuniting, than I think it confirms that this is the Ash from every other series before. In this talk i was having with my friend, I mentioned how I missed them bringing old characters back for an episode, or at least the little cameos and easter eggs, to previous series, and now BAM! We get this.

I knew they were eventually going to have to do something with Kanto in the actual show, since the games have a heavy focus on it, I just didn't know it would be this soon! I'm excited to see what they'll do :) I hope we can see some of Ash's old Pokemon too.

Its a very touchy topic.

Do not bring the older characters back: the fanbase becomes toxic since they want to see their childhood heroes.

Bring the character back: there is x issue with the characters and it spoils them. The fanbase becomes toxic.

I think there will be hate no matter what.

Which of Ash's old Pokémon do you think we'll get to see? Doubt there'd be enough time for all of them and I'm sure that we'll get Charizard. I'm hoping we finally get some clarity on if Primeape is there after the BW opening. From there I hope to see Oshawott, Gible, Corphish, and Muk.

Also do you think maybe Ash will bring someone back to Alola with him? ;o
Edit: someone as in a Pokémon. I know Brock and Misty are staying in Kanto lol

Maybe Totodile to tie in with the GS VC release.

Bring the character back: there is x issue with the characters and it spoils them. The fanbase becomes toxic.
I don't think anyone has problems with Misty and Brock returning to the anime. It's just the SM art style that is driving people toxic, myself included. Especially, when you consider that said art style is a complete 180 degree take on the previous one, and is inadvertently spoiling precious memories of the old character designs. My word, it is clearly not an issue with the characters, per se, but with the current anime series instead.

Its a very touchy topic.

Do not bring the older characters back: the fanbase becomes toxic since they want to see their childhood heroes.

I think there will be hate no matter what.

I'll be frank. I would have been much happier if they came back during the XY saga. I actually liked their BW restyle, and I personally find the general tone and art style of SM… off-putting. So it shouldn't come to a surprise that some people, myself included, have some reserves and doubts about their return.

They look much closer to their original selves than Ash and TRio, but the new cartoonish style isn't something that I can simply ignore. Just tolerate, at most.

Am I the only one who is too excited to really care what they look like lol
This is exactly how I feel. I can understand that the fact they look somewhat different may be off-putting to a lot of people but personally I couldn't care less. Ash is meeting his old friends again and that's what counts for me.

Actually, despite how I feel about the overall style of this saga and how I feel about the redesign, I'm more than willing to let it slide as long as the plot is satisfying, just like I was willing to let it slide when Gladion debuted (even if that faith went unrewarded, since the episode itself was really lackluster).

To put it simply, I don't want them to be reduced to simple nostalgia bait and fan service, but rather to have some sort of role and impact in the overall plot of the saga. I don't want them to become a repeat of BW Dawn, who came back just because of "tradition", and to be brought back in the series just because of "anniversary fan service". As much as I appreciate that the writers are bringing back some fan favorites, I wouldn't want this chance to go to waste with the mere purpose of creating a clash between Z-Crystals and Mega Stones. If it was only for the Mega Evolution stuff, they could have just brought back Alain, rather than pull this nostalgic stunt.

This is merely my view of the matter, so I don't expect anyone to agree with me. I simply don't want to be left with a sour taste in my mouth just so they can get some easy bonus audience. If they want to do a reunion episode, they'd better do it properly.

Last edited:
I have an of the potential why this is happening from the show's perspective, based on the facts we have so far. What if the "class project" stemmed from some sort of discussion revolving around unfinished business/completing something that was left unattended. And Ash thinks of the fact that his gym battle in Cerulean was never actually complete, because the battle was interrupted by Team Rocket. Maybe the project isn't meant to be so significant, but he gets inspired by remembering he didn't actually earn that badge (because his attitude about badges has changed significantly over the years from just wanting the badge handed to him to wanting to earn it against a gym leader trying their absolute hardest) so he goes above and beyond and decides to go back to Kanto and challenge Misty. I think this would be the best way to explain why he would have a gym battle at a gym he already earned the badge of when he isn't even trying to earn badges. Then of course he wants to invite Brock to watch the battle, since he was mysteriously not watching the first one (bonus: maybe we even find out what the heck he was doing in a flashback, but I doubt it), and once he finds out Brock can use mega evolution as well, of course he wants to battle him too.

Anyway, probably not going to be what actually happens, but its a theory. I think this would make more sense than something like, say a fake togepi convention or a junior cup battle tournament that a coordinator travels halfway across the world with a champion to attend. Either way, I honestly won't be too upset about the reason (let the ones above slide) as long as the content of the episode is satisfying.

Well I hope they won't miss this opportunity to reintroduce Samurai! In fact the reason they bring back Misty is probably so she'll be able to watch the rematch between Ash and Samurai's Mega Pinsir that he obviously owns. And Brock is in the episodes so he can finally get to meet the legend himself!

Last edited:
I think it's just the class researching more about Alolan forms by seeing their regular forms in their natural habitat, which given that the only Pokemon that have Alolan forms are Gen 1, is Kanto.
That could very well be the excuse they use, but it doesn't really make sense. Why would Ash be the only one to return to Kanto, when he has already seen all of these Pokemon in their natural habitat, and his classmates don't go with him even though they are the ones that actually haven't? Although one interesting thing that could stem from Ash visiting Kanto Pokemon that have Alolan forms in their natural habitat could be that he might bring his Muk back to Alola with him, and maybe Muk could finally travel with Ash.

SM042.png
Seeing them together reminds me of this song. :cry:
[video]
]View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iqvBT9fSEHw[/video]

Ash: Come on you guys, I gotta get another badge!
Misty: You better figure out how to repay me for my broken bike Ash Ketchum!
Brock: Oh no, not this again!
Pikachu: Pikachu...

They obviously didn't stay together forever, but they will be together again.

Literally the first thing I ever saw of Pokémon as a 6-year old was these three kids going over Cycling Road in "The Bridge Bike Gang". I don't care if this may turn out to be a nostalgiafest, it's exactly what I want.

I actually dislike SM's artstyle but that doesn't mean I don't want for it to deliver good stuff like these.
Gee, it's like some people genuinely don't want a series they don't like doing something good.

I don't have high hopes the the comedy-driven SM doing anything that significant with their characters BUT they may surprise me yet. I admittedly haven't been keeping up with episodes for a bit now but I'll probably be checking these out.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom