• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GO Do you attempt Nice/Great/Excellent, curveballs, or dodging?

Reaction score
Do you guys go for the extra EXP points and catch rates with curving or going for a nice/great/excellent throw? Do you try that with everything you see or only the best stuff?

Also, do you guys do dodging in gym and raid battles? Personally I can never seem to predict the defender's charge attack, so I usually get hit anyway :(

I've tried learning curveballs because the catch rate bonus is significant, but I'm so bad at them and don't seem to be improving any time soon so I'd rather not keep doing it and waste Poke Balls.
I always try to go for a Great/Excellent throw, I can do Great somewhat consistently most of the time and Excellent only rarely.

Dodging isn't my strong suit either, I've just stopped doing it these days because I also tend to get hit anyway and just lose DPS.

Contrary to the other response, I find dodging comfortable. This can be largely attributed to the time when my Pokemon were of lower CP than the gym defenders. Dodging actually gave me a chance to win, and prolonged the battle. I use it now too, firstly to prevent my Pokemon to be hit from potentially lethal charge moves, as well as when my Pokemon is at a type disadvantage.

Sometimes I'll try dodging if I know that a big hit is going to one-shot or otherwise cripple my attacker, but otherwise I just kind of take it and focus on attacking all out. I guess in raids I can always jump in with a new team, even though it decreases my rewards.

I can't throw a curveball the way other people do it. So, I drag it to the lower right corner and throw it in a 45 degree and allow it curve back to target.

I've recently decided that I can't really stand not doing curveballs anymore, the catch rate bonus is quite significant. Besides I had Bag space problems anyway so wasting Poke Balls wasn't a problem since I'dbe unable to spin PokeStops anyway had I not wasted enough. So now I have finally found a way to do curveballs and even do it on Raikou, the last one I caught (the 7th, 96%) was actually a Curve + Great + Golden Razz catch.

Yet I just realized the trick I've found has actually been posted before lol:
I can't throw a curveball the way other people do it. So, I drag it to the lower right corner and throw it in a 45 degree and allow it curve back to target.
Exactly what I do, but I drag to the lower left and throw it 45 degrees from the other side :) Only use the other corner when a Pokemon like Geodude moves to the right.

Sometimes I go for nice/great/excellent throws, but I can't get the hang of curveballs. I always seem to do them by accident.

I try to dodge if the defending pokemon is using a charge attack. If the game is lagging I usually get hit anyway though. If it isn't lagging, I find that if I alternate between swiping to the side and tapping I can dodge a lot of regular attacks.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom