• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My issue isn't with having Pokemon that weren't included in the original games-Pokemon from new gens are added in every remake. My issue is with having entirely new Pokemon that had never appeared before, even in the other games of the generation the remake was introduced in. It just doesn't make sense from a gameplay perspective-a Pokemon that only exists in a remake is going to have considerably less time to be enjoyed by fans until the next generation.

Introducing new pokemon in Sinnoh remake is highly unlikely, having form changes For example, New Megas, and possibly some Sinnoh form would be likely. I don't see them introducing new pokemon in a remake, the UBs are an exception, because they're not consider pokemon, but they are.

My issue isn't with having Pokemon that weren't included in the original games-Pokemon from new gens are added in every remake. My issue is with having entirely new Pokemon that had never appeared before, even in the other games of the generation the remake was introduced in. It just doesn't make sense from a gameplay perspective-a Pokemon that only exists in a remake is going to have considerably less time to be enjoyed by fans until the next generation.

I mean isn't it the same for version exclusive Pokemon? How does it make sense that Seal is only found in Diamond and that Slowpoke is only found in Pearl?

I mean isn't it the same for version exclusive Pokemon? How does it make sense that Seal is only found in Diamond and that Slowpoke is only found in Pearl?
You're missing my point. Read my last statement again-
a Pokemon that only exists in a remake is going to have considerably less time to be enjoyed by fans until the next generation.
It's not about story, it's about gameplay. Diamond and Pearl weren't the remakes of their gen, and Seal and Slowpoke weren't only in those games-they could be obtained in HGSS,too.

If a Pokemon was included only in the remakes of a generation, it wouldn't be compatible with the main games of the generation, and would not be able to be enjoyed by as many people. It would also have less time to be noticed compared to the other Pokemon of its generation-remakes are always after the initial generation has debuted, after all-until the next gen started. (While the new UBs have been getting a lot of popularity, they also haven't had much to compete with-the only other information on USUM has been new forms and vague details about the story. Remakes for Gen 4, on the other hand, would surely have more information advertised)

I understand your point even less now. A newly introduced pokemon to Sinnoh for DP remakes can still be included in the next generation for fans to continue enjoying that new pokemon. Also by virtue of it being a new pokemon, I think many would be eager to use it in the games that it is introduced, even if it is just a mid generation game.

If a Pokemon was included only in the remakes of a generation, it wouldn't be compatible with the main games of the generation, and would not be able to be enjoyed by as many people. It would also have less time to be noticed compared to the other Pokemon of its generation-remakes are always after the initial generation has debuted, after all-until the next gen started. (While the new UBs have been getting a lot of popularity, they also haven't had much to compete with-the only other information on USUM has been new forms and vague details about the story. Remakes for Gen 4, on the other hand, would surely have more information advertised)

They can include those Pokemon at any point after their introduction, it doesn't really matter when it's introduced as long as it gets enough attention in the games. Hell, some new Pokemon in new generations are so rare that casual players probably don't know about them, would you say Pokemon like Mareanie would be able to be enjoyed by many people considering what it takes to get one in SM?

I understand your point even less now. A newly introduced pokemon to Sinnoh for DP remakes can still be included in the next generation for fans to continue enjoying that new pokemon. Also by virtue of it being a new pokemon, I think many would be eager to use it in the games that it is introduced, even if it is just a mid generation game.
Yes, but remakes are meant to be a reincarnation of the original games with some added features. Whole new Pokémon wouldn't suffice with being in line with the originals.

Why? People are suddenly getting this idea that this new Pokémon mid-generation action is going to happen every generation now. But what if it's only a one-time deal?

Certainly could be the case, but the point is the possibility exists now and is worth discussing. What SinnohEevee suggested wasn't even that presumptuous, it was just a simple "what if they did this?"

Certainly could be the case, but the point is the possibility exists now and is worth discussing. What SinnohEevee suggested wasn't even that presumptuous, it was just a simple "what if they did this?"

Game Freak opened the floodgates. God knows what previously-though impossible thing they may do next. It might be a one-time thing only, but it might happen again.

If they do introduce a new pokemon, I would like it to be based on something that has cultural significance to the actual place that the region is based on, i.e. Hokkaido in the case of Sinnoh.

I understand your point even less now. A newly introduced pokemon to Sinnoh for DP remakes can still be included in the next generation for fans to continue enjoying that new pokemon.
Again, read what I quoted to you before.
a Pokemon that only exists in a remake is going to have considerably less time to be enjoyed by fans until the next generation.
I mentioned "until the next generation" for a reason. Of course it can be included in later generations, but another generation of Pokemon is going to take years to develop.
Also by virtue of it being a new pokemon, I think many would be eager to use it in the games that it is introduced, even if it is just a mid generation game.
But not everyone is willing or able to buy mid generation games.
They can include those Pokemon at any point after their introduction, it doesn't really matter when it's introduced as long as it gets enough attention in the games. Hell, some new Pokemon in new generations are so rare that casual players probably don't know about them, would you say Pokemon like Mareanie would be able to be enjoyed by many people considering what it takes to get one in SM?
Yes, because even if Mareanie is difficult to obtain in the wild, it can still be traded to players. Again, this is an out-of-game situation. It's not about how the Pokemon can be obtained in the game-it's the problem that it'd be literally impossible to use the Pokemon in half the games in its generation.

Which type(s) do you think would fit it best?

Hokkaido crab? A cow or even a butter pokemon lmfao. IDK.

I'm just curious, are the generations a classification method used by the fandom or is it something official?

I'm just curious, are the generations a classification method used by the fandom or is it something official?

I don't think they explicitly refer to the concept of generations very much, but it is inherently baked in to their standard procedure. The introduction of a new region and a new wave of Pokémon including new Starters + new Legendary Pokémon that occupy boxarts always coincides with a break in compatibility; a point where Pokémon from a previous point can be transferred forward to newer games, but not backward. So even if it's not used outright as a classification method, it still fundamentally exists on a mechanical level because of how they lay out the compatibility.

Yea but ORAS has already challenged our understanding of a generation by virtue of it not being compatible with XY. I don't think there's much value in holding on to such segregation by generation lines anymore.

Yea but ORAS has already challenged our understanding of a generation by virtue of it not being compatible with XY. I don't think there's much value in holding on to such segregation by generation lines anymore.

I don't think ORAS did that at all. There's still a pretty clear difference in terms of compatibility between XY/ORAS and XY/SM. The only things that ORAS can't send to XY are stuff with the new moves and items; everything else can go back and forth. Conversely, nothing can go back to either Gen 6 game once it has been transferred to Gen 7. This is entirely clear-cut.

I don't think there's much value in trying to muddy up a readily apparent, consistent, useful style of categorization in response to minor technicalities.

I don't think there's much value in trying to muddy up a readily apparent, consistent, useful style of categorization in response to minor technicalities.

Isn't GF indeed muddying up this so-called readily apparent, consistent, useful style of categorization with how they went from introducing incompatible new forms to completely new Pokemon? Especially since this generation thing was never something official nor cast in stone. I just think that holding on to our assumptions of what makes a generation is no longer useful since GF is doing almost everything to tear up this allegedly rule book the fans have been swearing by. So yes I accept that XY and SM are indeed of different generations, I just don't think arguments on what GF can or cannot do based on generation lines hold any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom