• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP31: The Island Whisperer!

Olivia is kind of annoying. I'm not blaming it on the voice actor - I think it's just bad writing. I don't like the klutz personality that was given to her, I like the strong female she is in the games.

Olivia is kind of annoying. I'm not blaming it on the voice actor - I think it's just bad writing. I don't like the klutz personality that was given to her, I like the strong female she is in the games.
Moreover, why does she wear a shirt with short sleeves in Anime? In the game, she doesn't any shirt with short sleeves but her pink shirt.

Moreover, why does she wear a shirt with short sleeves in Anime? In the game, she doesn't any shirt with short sleeves but her pink shirt.

Well, she also has a nice body in the game, whereas I'm not sure the animators wanted her to have such a sexualized image in the anime "because of the kids"

I'd really like to know how many people that play Pokemon are actually kids.

Who's That Pokemon!?:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4780ZIfOMNI&feature=youtu.be

Bruxish Pokedex Entry

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muLAjqZcEd0&feature=youtu.be

Cast List
Sarah Natochenny
Laurie Hymes
Jessica Paquet
Rosie Reyes
Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld
Marc Swint
Rodger Parsons
Kate Bristol
Roger Callagy
Carter Cathcart
Abe Goldfarb
Emily Jenness
Marisa Kennedy
Michele Knotz
Michael Liscio Jr.
Suzy Myers
Lisa Ortiz
Jake Paque
Haven Paschall
H.D. Quinn
Eileen Stevens
Marc Thompson

Ash sing chanting "Akala, Akala, Akala" over and over again at the beginning of the episode was so darn adorable.

This was a pretty good episode! I love that Kiawe and Olivia have a pre-established relationship. I also really liked Olivia's personality. I thought the klutz aspect was interesting, especially with Lana kind of being skeptical of her and Mallow just thinking she's the coolest. Oh, and Kiawe's embarrassing Akala guide photos + Mallow's teasing was amazing. I love those two.

Olivia's dub voice I thought was very good. It fit the character well. Lillie's "I'll get the medicine" line was so crimgingly bad. I don't understand why they're sticking with this ear splitting, high pitched tone. I actually am glad they downplayed Wailmer's tortured screaming though because in the Japanese it was honestly kind of horrifying.

Something I hated: Ash thinking it's the same Nurse Joy from Melemele. There are Nurse Joys in every freaking region and we're still gonna have Ash play dumb over it? Not impressed. Also bad:

Nurse Joy: You think I'm the Joy from Melemele! That's my older sister!
Rotomdex: Are you two twins?! You look 99% identical!

:rolleyes:

Well, the episode starts with Ash getting killed by a Tarous. I suppose he's use to it since he owns 30 of them.

Why is Oliva on the first island and why is she making out with bulls? "who is she?" crap, am I not supposed to know? I played the game!

and now kissing Charizard I guess. Weird woman. Her voice really fits her at least.

Can't say I remember Oliva being a klutz in the games but I guess we don't really see her that much.

Huh, wonder if Kiawe won then? or if he just lost cuz of his Fire types. He prob lost.

Lol, nice face Kiawe.

Would suck if they didn't see anything and accidentally went to a different region. Dragonair did seem like my guess. and :O lightning.

Why did the Shellder on the Slowpoke already have a different appearance before it became Slwobro? weird. Was also random.

Lmao Lugia. I love Lana. Although knowing their names don't make you a Water type expert. Unless I'm an... every type expert?

Couldn't Pikachu just Iron Tail it out? and er, I guess if they weren't there the Bruxish would've eaten that Wailmer. ALmost RIP.

Well at least Lana is smart enough to take her clothes off. ...damn, imagine that out of context.

Why is Psychic even still effecting it? I guess the Bruxish is still around. And I guess Psychic is even more dangerous than it should be. Scary. I thought it got stuck trying to evolve at first tbh.

Lana seemed jealous of Olivia in this episode tbh. Don't worry Lana, I like you.

Ash ffs, you should know about Nurse Joy's by now it's been not 20 years and you've seen all the ones in those other regions.

Eh okay episode I guess. But, Ash is gonna fight her before doing the other trials? this seems stupid. I guess he could do them whilst they're there and I guess the Pokemon run them. Salazzle dancing with random Marowaks I guess.

I've read before that Lana, Mallow, Kiawe etc do them in place of Ash which still makes it seem dumb?

Olivia's entertaining personality is the only thing this episode had going for it. I mean, I guess Ash singing Akala at the start was...interesting. (As was the revelation that he smells his Pokemon.) And I guess it was funny how everyone had a different opinion of Olivia with Mallow and Ash admiring her while Lana and Sophocles were more skeptical. And Lana's Lugia prank was really cute. But really, Olivia is the one who stole the show. Seeing her get emotional over befriending the other Pokemon was cute. Other than that...not much else happened. Kind of disappointing that the episode that was supposed to open the doors to the Akala journey had such a weak start.

Also, I'm still not pleased with Olivia having the Midday Lycanroc form. It just looks so wrong with her, and this is coming from someone who despises the Midnight form with a passion. I just really can't stand when they change a major character's ace. And speaking of weird changes, I was super confused when Olivia called her store accessory and stone shop an arts and crafts shop? Anyway, 6/10.

This was a good intro episode for the Akala arc and man I'm already going to love Olivia's voice because man it fits so well! Now about the episode, so this is a field trip huh? Looks like a long one to me, wonder how many episodes this''ll last for. Not much happened here but, at least we get to saw Tapu Lele again and Bruxish... screw it because of a few Wi-fi battle encounters I had with it. I will keep this short and give this episode an 8/10.

This episode was...OK, I guess? I don’t know what to make of it when it ultimately amounted to exposition and a Wailmer rescue. I will say that I’m not a fan of Olivia’s constant tripping – it’s an overused anime gag and really doesn’t have any basis in the games.
-Ash singing “Akala, Akala!” was great. And then being disappointed when he couldn’t take on the Grand Trial right away... Poor guy’s just too dense for his own good.
-Olivia with a Midday Lycanroc just feels...wrong. Just sayin’.
-You know, as common as the equivalent is in real life, I don’t think we’ve seen a Trainer actually kiss a Pokémon until now. Unless you count Gary kissing his Poké Balls.
-Oh look, Komala finally fell off the bell tower. I was wondering when they’d do that.
-I know I just said I disliked Olivia’s “tripping” gag, but I loved it when she literally bumped into Samson Oak and laughed at his lame joke. And then Magikarp joining in on his send-off.
-Uh...Lugia’s not a Water-type, Lana. Even though it really should be. Though I thought they might actually show one just to throw everyone off.
-I gotta say the way the team handled rescuing Wailmer was pretty creative, even if I wish they didn’t devote so much time to it.
-Ash still doesn’t know that there are multiple Nurse Joys?! I know he gets a soft reboot every series, but come on.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom