• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

Origins has the same problems as the main series.
Black and White is an ok theme
DP is good because of the plotlines, not Ash's competency.
Game logic is overrated
Talonflame is Ash's best bird Pokemon
Wobbuffet is the most battle capable in the show

Generations is even worse than the Anime
Pokemon Theme XY is terrible in the dub, as is V-Volt
TPCi's voice acting and dub are continuously getting worse over time (on this site at least, off this site it's a very popular opinion)
4Kids' dub doesn't/didn't get enough credit where it's due

Bonnie was a much better "female companion" than Serena could have ever hoped to be without even being a trainer. She had much more character development with her episodes of focus than Serena got in the entire series as the lead female and she was much more interesting. I didn't have a problem with Serena's crush on Ash but I would have liked her more if that wasn't seemingly the only thing she had going for her. Even when they tried to give her a rival, it ended up boiling back down to her crush on Ash.

Bonnie's obsession with finding a wife for Clemont wasn't that annoying and I hardly noticed it after a while.

Replacing the dub VAs didn't bother me (but then, when I was a kid, I was watching Pokémon in Canadian French).

Misty is overrated.

Paul is overrated.

Pikachu is overrated.

Serena is overrated.

The TRio is overrated.

I never liked Brock's gag with women even as a kid.

That's what comes to my head right now.

I only like Misty because of the nostalgia, and while I find her short temper amusing, she has some major "flaws". Namely, as somebody who wanted to become a water type expert, she spent very little time battling or even learning about the water types. Brock wanted to become the world's best breeder and the anime showed that perfectly; he was always so curious about pokemon, their eating habits, also making up his own special recipes for particular pokemon species... Misty could've tried harder throughout the series.
Imo, Dawn's the best poke-girl.

Feels like saying that I liked Serena might be the unpopular comment here but she was probably my favorite Pokegirl to date. The dub version made me strongly dislike Bonnie but watching the subs, she was actually way better. While Misty is a strong shot of nostalgia for me, she was hardly developed while with Ash and maybe we would see something in the S/M version hopefully. Iris seemed like a bit of a Misty rip off with wanting to be a Dragon master instead of a water, had the same fiery temper, called Ash a kid and was generally annoying in quite a few episodes. May was decent to me (Max totally ruined whatever acceptance I tried to have with this team and their chemistry) but Dawn was arguably much better. I for one, liked the romantic addition that they tried with Serena and Ash and giving them a little back story. Also found her growth throughout the series to be well done although it was slow at that start but it made sense when hearing that the writers were rushed for XY/XYZ hence the lack of fillers. I found Serena easy to relate to with going against your parents wishes and trying to forge a path for yourself in life, Personally found it way deeper than just following her crush and their chemistry throughout the series was great as they helped to make each other better. Ideally, this is all what the writers wished to happen but it was done best imo.

Misty sucks.
PokeShipping is full of holes.
Mallow sucks.
I prefer the new cast over the original, except certain characters.
Cilan doesn't suck
The Lily of the Valley was less hype than everyone thinks, except Ash vs Paul that was good
The Johto arc sucks

I'm not certain how unpopular this even is, but I prefer M19 to M20. The Alola cast got screwed over in favour of this blatant nostalgia bait. Things never got this bad ten years ago.

Last edited:
Ash is a terrible protagonist. I fail to see how he is an interesting character when the characters around him can do his "nice guy with a big heart" shtik while having more to him.

Not sure if it's an unpopular opinion, but I prefer old attack animations to new ones. Air Slash's DP portrayal was perfect, I'll never know why they bothered to change it in BW. Same with Dragon Pulse's and Dragon Claw's animations prior to XY. The only moves that look better in XY are Stone Edge and Dragon Tail (but they ruined it in SM).

Not sure if it's an unpopular opinion, but I prefer old attack animations to new ones. Air Slash's DP portrayal was perfect, I'll never know why they bothered to change it in BW. Same with Dragon Pulse's and Dragon Claw's animations prior to XY. The only moves that look better in XY are Stone Edge and Dragon Tail (but they ruined it in SM).

I get where you are coming from in relation to certain moves. For me, Aerial Ace was one I missed. Well when his birds used it anyways, the best to me was Swellow, loved how they showed it like he disappeared due to speed and reappeared right in front the target before wrecking them. Wished that never changed.

I'm glad Satoshi lost the Kalos league. It was a good decision writing-wise and I'm not sure why people are still upset by it.

If they ever let Ash take 1st it should be set up as the actual climax of the series (and bring back some of his old Pokemon like DP), which wasn't the case with the Kalos League.

Though I think Lysandre starting his attack while Ash and Alain were still fighting and interrupting the match would have been thematically fitting; Lysandre was trying to end that world after all.

Not sure if it's an unpopular opinion, but I prefer old attack animations to new ones. Air Slash's DP portrayal was perfect, I'll never know why they bothered to change it in BW.
Because it didn't even look remotely like a slash before BW. Watching the original Japanese without subs, I couldn't ever guess that this ball of wind was meant to be Air Slash.
Dawn_Togekiss_Air_Slash.png
Skyla_Unfezant_Air_Slash.png
Doing the comparisons, BW's version fits the name "Air Slash" much better.

Because it didn't even look remotely like a slash before BW. Watching the original Japanese without subs, I couldn't ever guess that this ball of wind was meant to be Air Slash.

Doing the comparisons, BW's version fits the name "Air Slash" much better.

I personally like Suicune's Air Slash the best.

tumblr_lj73pdfx1d1qfyz1jo1_400_by_nape4-d78wl96.gif

In this case, it looks a lot like a circular blade made of air, rather than a weird glowing transparent bladed disk.

Please note: The thread is from 10 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom