• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves & abilities that need buffing/nerfing

I feel like boosting the slashing moves (Slash, Night Slash, Cross Poison, Shadow Claw) from 70 to 90 might fix some of the problems some types have with not having high powered physical moves. Then throw in new ones for Electric and Steel and that takes care of pretty much every type's physical moveset problems (except Fairy, which flat out needs more physical moves).

I recently thought of something that has been bugging me for sometime. A move that should be very heavily nerfed...

Toxic.

Seriously, it's just too powerful in the hands of many Pokemon that shouldn't have access to it. I'm fine with it when a Poison Mon uses it, because that's part of their natural abilities, but something like CHANCEY!? I don't think so. It's too widely distributed among too many Pokemon, and it's just too powerful in the hands of walls and stallers. It needs to be downsized. Maybe reduce its accuracy to 50% when not used by a Poison-type and cut back on its distribution. And maybe even outright ban it from tournaments, force people to rely on other moves like Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave (the latter of which DID get a nerfing this gen due to overuse). But I propose that Toxic get a serious downsizing when not in the hands of an actual Poison-type, as it's just running rampant in the hands of Mons that shouldn't be allowed to have it. That's my 2 cents.

Snow Warning and Hail should cause a 50% Defense boost to Ice types. Just to get even.
Return all the special moves nerfed in Gen 6 back to their original power (why do you hate Sp Attk GF?)
We need more physical Psychic, Fairy, Ghost and Electric type moves that don't cause recoil or have low BP. And same for Fighting, Ground and Dark special moves.

Last edited:
how many flinching moves we got? for poison? and the other types?

what moves and abilities till now dont have enough good effects?

for me personally Mummy should also cause the first turn immobilization if gained in battle because a Pokemon like Slaking only gains from it with out loosing anything.

Last edited:
how many flinching moves we got? for poison? and the other types?
List of moves that cause flinching - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
what moves and abilities till now dont have enough good effects?
Not everything needs to be extra powerful. There's nothing wrong with moves like Tackle not getting special effects.
for me personally Mummy should also cause the first turn immobilization if gained in battle because a Pokemon like Slaking only gains from it with out loosing anything.
The only Pokemon with specifically negative abilities like that are Slaking and Regigigas. I don't think Mummy needs a buff like that for just two Pokemon.

List of moves that cause flinching - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

only some ghost types learn fling and fake out?
weird that ghost types dont get more flinching moves? where is the fear the ghost types?

though that Phantom Force could be a posibble candidate for flinching.(10% or 30%)
Fly, Dig and Dive also should be able to confuse or flinch. (Bounce can paralyze)

poison and fairy has any by now? thats weird.

Grass, fire, water, electric and would need more of that really.
especially the first three. Maybe whirlpool, leech seed and fire spin could have a 10% every turn?

Not everything needs to be extra powerful. There's nothing wrong with moves like Tackle not getting special effects.

but something like teleport really should free from frozen and leech seed, stealth rocks.

The only Pokemon with specifically negative abilities like that are Slaking and Regigigas. I don't think Mummy needs a buff like that for just two Pokemon.

yes for them but mummy is good vs medicham, but not vs wishiwashi or aegislash?
why cant it take away their abilities too? that doesnt make sense for me.
I dont say taking most oponents abilities is a bad one, but it should be abble to do a little more like reduce one of their stats when gaining it or making them flinch or loose a turn when gaining it.
It wraps them in mummy bandages for sake, that should lower speed or takea turn out.

Last edited:
only some ghost types learn fling and fake out?
To my knowledge, there's no move in existence that can learned by every Pokemon of one type. It shouldn't come as a shock that not every Ghost type can learn some moves.
weird that ghost types dont get more flinching moves? where is the fear the ghost types?
There are more ways to scare than startling someone. Given that flinching causes the opponent to lose their turn, it makes sense that GameFreak wouldn't want flinching to be the Ghost types gimmick.
Fly, Dig and Dive also should be able to confuse or flinch. (Bounce can paralyze)
Bounce has the attacker slam down on the target, that's why it causes paralysis. Fly, Dig, and Dive do not. Bounce also has 85% accuracy, while Fly has 95%, and Dig and Dive have 100%.
poison and fairy has any by now? thats weird.
Fairy's only been around for a few generations, I don't think that's quite shocking. But I do agree that it's strange they're the only types without any. (though Ground barely has one-Bone Club is a signature move. Steamroller and Needle Arm are pretty scarce, too)
especially the first three. Maybe whirlpool, leech seed and fire spin could have a 10% every turn?
Damage each turn and a chance for the target to lose five turns? That's way too overpowered. (and Leech Seed has no turn limit-the flinch could go on forever)
but something like teleport really should free from frozen and leech seed, stealth rocks.
Nobody is going to want to use Teleport competitively. Some moves suck, and that's okay.
yes for them but mummy is good vs medicham, but not vs wishiwashi or aegislash?
Why are you looking at how the ability interacts with only three Pokemon?
why cant it take away their abilities too? that doesnt make sense for me.
Because Schooling and Stance Change are about form changes, and are tied too closely to the Pokemon's physical makeup. It's the same for all other abilities that aren't affected by Mummy. (Multitype, RKS System, Shields Down, Battle Bond, and Disguise) And Mummy's not the only thing that's affected by this-moves like Skill Swap and Entrainment don't affect them, either.
I dont say taking most oponents abilities is a bad one, but it should be abble to do a little more like reduce one of their stats when gaining it or making them flinch or loose a turn when gaining it.
Why should it? It's not the only ability with only one purpose. Intimidate can only lower the opponent's stat. Poison Point can only poison the opponent if they make contact. Why are you singling out Mummy?

Also, Mummy only takes effect if the opponent makes contact with the bearer of Mummy. The opponent has already had their turn, they can't flinch on the next one.
It wraps them in mummy bandages for sake, that should lower speed or takea turn out.
The ability description says nothing whatsoever about wrapping the opponent in bandages.

To my knowledge, there's no move in existence that can learned by every Pokemon of one type. It shouldn't come as a shock that not every Ghost type can learn some moves.

that was rather about the low amount of flinching moves that ghost types get, even of their own type there exist only 1, and ghost types should be more fearsome. There should be more ghost type flinching moves.
gimmick? psychic types have 3 and ghost only one?
the other types like ground, grass, bug, there is right, there should be more done for them.
would be cool to have a pokemon that would gain something extra too from the oponents flinching via its ability.
Like that ability that you gain from oponets fainting.

Bounce has the attacker slam down on the target, that's why it causes paralysis. Fly, Dig, and Dive do not. Bounce also has 85% accuracy, while Fly has 95%, and Dig and Dive have 100%.

but I would change that still give effects and take away accuracy.

Damage each turn and a chance for the target to lose five turns? That's way too overpowered. (and Leech Seed has no turn limit-the flinch could go on forever)
or make a flinching with turn limit.
10% is that too much? 5 turns in a row? that wouldnt be that bad taking they are weak moves.
Especially if they would make more posibilities of megating them with your own moves.
Imagine a bulbasaur uses Leech seed, and the other uses Beak Blast, in my opion when its used , then it should burn the leech seed of . Then more of this with other moves.

Nobody is going to want to use Teleport competitively. Some moves suck, and that's okay.

thats not ok, many people want battle usement, should we do a nother poll? seriously?
I have found on google many people and wishesh of this.
Check it out.

Why are you looking at how the ability interacts with only three Pokemon?

why not? we have signature Z-moves? why not this? why not make some changes between some pokemon and moves?
theoretically shed skin should have 30% chance of surviving a contact with mummy or get rid of it.

Because Schooling and Stance Change are about form changes, and are tied too closely to the Pokemon's physical makeup. It's the same for all other abilities that aren't affected by Mummy. (Multitype, RKS System, Shields Down, Battle Bond, and Disguise) And Mummy's not the only thing that's affected by this-moves like Skill Swap and Entrainment don't affect them, either.

then why bother creating a ability that negates abilities if so many can survive it with their forms?
ok let it be. But it would make sense to interact with Aegi and Wishi.
maybe reduce speed or attack if not be abble to take away their ability.

The ability description says nothing whatsoever about wrapping the opponent in bandages.

One word.
Mummy.

that was rather about the low amount of flinching moves that ghost types get, even of their own type there exist only 1, and ghost types should be more fearsome. There should be more ghost type flinching moves.
Ghost-types can learn Dark Pulse, Zen Headbutt, Air Slash, Fling, Fake Out, Headbutt, Rock Slide, and Iron Head. Not exactly a low amount.
gimmick? psychic types have 3 and ghost only one?
None of these moves are exclusive to their type. The Psychic-type moves are learned by plenty of other Pokemon-there are even some Ghost-types that learn Zen Headbutt.
10% is that too much? 5 turns in a row? that wouldnt be that bad taking they are weak moves.
It doesn't matter how strong they are-the problem is that there's a chance to flinch 5 turns in a row, during which plenty of stronger moves could be used.
Imagine a bulbasaur uses Leech seed, and the other uses Beak Blast, in my opion when its used , then it should burn the leech seed of . Then more of this with other moves.
I agree it would make sense, but I don't think it'd be very good for the Grass type-most moves burning Leech Seed off would be Fire-type, so all it does is give Grass's weakness a stronger power over it.
thats not ok, many people want battle usement
We're not exactly suffering from a lack of usable moves, are we?
should we do a nother poll? seriously?
I've never suggested polls-that's always been your idea. If you want to make one to settle an argument, be my guest, but I'd suggest looking at your last poll, which had only four responses. Just because you make a poll doesn't mean everyone's going to respond to it.
I have found on google many people and wishesh of this.
Check it out.
"Found on Google" doesn't mean anything. Google searches a huge part of the internet-you can't expect me to try to hunt down what you're talking about. Why not just link me to what you found.
why not? we have signature Z-moves? why not this? ]why not make some changes between some pokemon and moves?
You're getting completely off-subject. I asked why you were focusing on how an ability interacts with three Pokemon, and you switch to talking about moves and signature Z-Moves that are completely unrelated.
then why bother creating a ability that negates abilities if so many can survive it with their forms?
"So many"? That's a total of seven Pokemon, out of 800+ others. Mummy is doing just fine.
One word.
Mummy.
Surprisingly, not all abilities do exactly what their name implies. Do you see Kecleon literally changing color? Does Corrosion literally eat at the Pokemon's flesh? Are Pokemon with Clear Body actually transparent?

I think Core Enforcer should hit fairy types at 1x effectiveness, like Thousand Arrows does for Flying types. It makes sense that Zygarde's moves can hit the types of Xerneas and Yevtal. And since they did this for Yevtal, why not Xerneas?

Ghost-types can learn Dark Pulse, Zen Headbutt, Air Slash, Fling, Fake Out, Headbutt, Rock Slide, and Iron Head. Not exactly a low amount.
but why not make some new ghost type flinching moves? I dont think all ghost types learn the same moves.

It doesn't matter how strong they are-the problem is that there's a chance to flinch 5 turns in a row, during which plenty of stronger moves could be used.
Yes I understand that. Only a though. But what about 5% per turn? what exactly % chance is that you get a 5 turn row?
I think it would be very low. Plus only trapping the foe isn't that simple ssince ghost got trap immunity.

don't think it'd be very good for the Grass type-most moves burning Leech Seed off would be Fire-type, so all it does is give Grass's weakness a stronger power over it.

Yes I know, but on the other way around maybe grass could get also something like this against a other type?
Imagine how many grass type moves react to earth, ground, water and other things.
But it would be justified to take out Leech seed, Investation if the whole body would burn or be hot like flame wheel , nitro charge and others doo.

Lets think , would it really hurt grass that much? think that they could make add Leech seed a flinching chance.
Imagine Petal Dance (this move should work like Phantom Force) where the user could free himself from whirlpool or fire spin.

Hmmm what if a grass type when using growth or sintesis could also heal their status condition?
if gaining hp why not heal a burn?

We're not exactly suffering from a lack of usable moves, are we?
thats not a argument... many moves and abilities got in battle usement change after many generations.

"Found on Google" doesn't mean anything. Google searches a huge part of the internet-you can't expect me to try to hunt down what you're talking about. Why not just link me to what you found.
buff teleport pokemon
About 105,000 results (0.47 seconds)

Surprisingly, not all abilities do exactly what their name implies. Do you see Kecleon literally changing color? Does Corrosion literally eat at the Pokemon's flesh? Are Pokemon with Clear Body actually transparent?

Disquise does what Kecleon should, that means hide in its habbitat.
Corrosion and flesh, thats too sadistic and thats not an argument.
Clear Body, yes we would need really a more Transparent ability that actually could do that.
"Clear", or "Clean"???

Last edited by a moderator:
thats not a argument...
Yes, it is. You don't have to like it, but that doesn't mean it's not a basis to object on.
many moves and abilities got in battle usement change after many generations.
No move got such a drastic change as the one you're suggesting.
buff teleport pokemon
About 105,000 results (0.47 seconds)
In these links, we have:
How would you buff teleport...? - Pokemon X Message Board for 3DS - GameFAQs
Most of these just suggest a mechanic like Protect. The only posts that aren't suggest switching entry hazards or switching what side a Pokemon is on. (which I don't think is even possible)
This suggests mechanics similar to Protect (save for the initial suggestion of boosting evasiveness) and overworld applications.
This link only says Teleport should let the user switch.
reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/53ssz2/pokemon_buffs_you_would_like_to_see/
This link says the same thing.
reddit.com/r/pokemonduel/comments/62it9u/alakazam_line_concept/
This link isn't about battles in the video game, it's about battles in the trading figure game. (Did you not look at the part discussing spaces?)

In all of these links, nobody suggests what you did. Most of them suggest letting the user switch, and some suggest letting the next Pokemon in evade entry hazards. (but they don't suggest clearing them)

Disquise does what Kecleon should, that means hide in its habbitat.
Kecleon's ability is Color Change, not Disguise. I used this as an example to point out that not all abilities do what their name implies.
Corrosion and flesh, thats too sadistic and thats not an argument.
You claimed that because Mummy is named Mummy, it must wrap the opponent in bandages, based on only its name.
I said that abilities do not always do what their name implies, and gave the example of the ability Corrosion, which does not literally corrode anything.

How is that not an argument?
Clear Body, yes we would need really a more Transparent ability that actually could do that.
That is not what I was suggesting.
"Clear", or "Clean"???
It's Clear Body. These things aren't hard to look up.

How is that not an argument?

then what if I name something "fire flower" or "flame rose"? what is it then? a plant or a fire in form of a plant?

think of it.

There are also suggestions to make Teleport work like Detect and reduce the foes accuracy or like phantom force but allowinng you to choose the next attack and gain priority the next turn.

Are all girls named Rose actually plants?

A name isn't all there is to something.

but a mummy is a mummmy if it uses a mummy coffin.
Really, now i understand why they avoid showing some pokemon in the anime.

its dex entry: Cofagrigus, the Coffin Pokémon and the evolved form of Yamask. People who approach Cofagrigus are swallowed and turned into mummies. It loves to eat gold.

What are mummies?

dex entry: They pretend to be elaborate coffins to teach lessons to grave robbers. Their bodies are covered in pure gold.

why isnt it a steel type if its covered in gold and eats gold?

dex entry: Grave robbers who mistake them for real coffins and get too close end up trapped inside their bodies.

swallow move or ability?

I think Toxic when used by a non-poison type shouldn't badly poison the target.
Toxic should inflict regular poison when used by a non-poison type and should inflict bad poison when used by a poison type.

And Baneful bunker should have a 75% chance of poisoning the Pokemon hitting it with contact move instead of 100%.

And Baneful bunker should have a 75% chance of poisoning the Pokemon hitting it with contact move instead of 100%.
nope, only this makes problem that you have already a 50% chance of physical/special split, why nerf something that is only physical activating? 75%, why not 90%?

Ok new idea. We saw the new Stone edge Z move for Lycanroc that neutralizes terrains, what if more Z-moves could destroy or change terrains or weather?
could see Z-Heat Wave casting sunny day or that harsh sun for 5 turns that primal Groudon can do.

Kyruems , Z-Glaciate, should theoretically be able to destroy terrains. (or they will create a ice type terrain and maybe a ground one?)
or they could make regular Glaciate have this effect on terrains.

nope, only this makes problem that you have already a 50% chance of physical/special split, why nerf something that is only physical activating? 75%, why not 90%?

Because it's giving too much advantage to stall as a whole, as a much more OP version of protect. And Alola has more amount of viable physical attackers than special attackers so the ratio isn't 50%. You're much more likely to use physical moves in the current meta.

Physical attackers are also crippled by Ferrowthorn, another staller. Toxapex and Ferrowthorn in conjunction can destroy most offensive teams.

The chance of poison should be less than 100% imo.

The chance of poison should be less than 100% imo.

yes if we get a corrosion user that has it.
Then make it 90% like Thunder Wave,

Steel types and Long reach user dont need to fear it at all.
Its also very slow, you would take its greatest advantage away.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom