• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

US/UM Trailers and News Discussion

Uh, Necrozma is also an Ultra Beast, confirmed, I guess. Dude pops outta wormhole in the Japanese Trailer. I wonder if it has an Ultra Space of its own, to find in the postgame, much like Kyurem. Also the blackhole could be something diffferent from it, the way its looking like. Damn games are making me think.

I'm guessing one of the mysterious figures in background is Annabelle based on the hair

I'm guessing that Mantine Surf will only be used between islands and for that minigame. Lapras will probably still be used on the islands.

I'm guessing one of the mysterious figures in background is Annabelle based on the hair
I yhink it most definitely isn't anabel because her hair is longer than that and....sorry Anabel, but... she's flat :p

https://i.********/vp/1506088151081.png
It seems that the characters have hair colors that are of the same family of colors e.g. pink-pale red? orangeish? purple and yellowish? The pokemon website says we will encounter troubles related to necrozma and meet mysterious characters and pokemon. I presume these to be original new characters, possibly even the rumored royal family? Their hairstyle features all seem pretty fancy-posh to me...

Either way, cool trailer, disappointed that mantine isn't for diving, but the surfing feature is basically a water version of soaring, which is pretty cool. I feel like they had the perfect opportunity to reveal johto alolan forms today, but they didn't so...my hopes are greatly diminished.

Good to see they expanded on trials and gave Mina her own. Alolan Marowak replaces salazzle, Mallow's trial features Sudowoodo now, we get to battle Mina at some point, Ghost/ele trials changed. I wonder if we still have 7 trials or will they add more? We still don't know what roles Kahili and Ryuki have. No mention of kahunas apart from the website showing Hala is still one.

Apparently Lillie is still the same, I don't know at what point she'd become a trainer if she does at all. Hau, however, seems to have a divergent story from the one in SM.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like they had the perfect opportunity to reveal johto alolan forms today, but they didn't so...my hopes are greatly diminished.

Yeah, I'll admit I'm beginning to lose hope for that. :( Which would pretty much kill any of the goodwill that I have toward these games. I cannot adequately express what an idiotic decision it would be to miss the chance for more Alola Forms.

I don't think it would be wise to read too much into this because the site could just as easily update to say something else later if they reveal any new ones, but this is all that the official site currently has to say about Alola Forms, alongside a picture of Alolan Exeggutor and Raichu and their normal counterparts:

> There are Pokémon that have adapted to the Alola region’s unique environment and become regional variants, which look different from the same species in other regions. They’ll be returning from their appearance in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon.

Last edited:
It seems Hala and Hau also have the Z-Power ring. If everyone uses it instead of the original Z-Ring, then there really wasn't much of a point to the different Z-Ring designs in Sun and Moon - unless there's also different Z-Power Ring colors for the different islands.

Yeah, I'll admit I'm beginning to lose hope for that. :( Which would pretty much kill any of the goodwill that I have toward these games. I cannot adequately express what an idiotic decision it would be to miss the chance for more Alola Forms.

I don't think it would be wise to read too much into this because the site could just as easily update to say something else later if they reveal any new ones, but this is all that the official site currently has to say about Alola Forms, alongside a picture of Alolan Exeggutor and Raichu and their normal counterparts:

> There are Pokémon that have adapted to the Alola region’s unique environment and become regional variants, which look different from the same species in other regions. They’ll be returning from their appearance in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon.
The wording here is too vague to make judgement. I seriously hope for new forms (and if it's just Johto mon, fine with me, give em some time in the spotlight).

But anyway, either you could read that as "the kanto mons with a regional variant will also be in this game" or "the concept is returning, incl the mons we've introduced already"

To everyone who hoped for following pokemon, abandon those hopes

3f4fd87a2c.jpg

Saw on serebiiguy's twitter, apparently that Rockruff doesn't follow you (never harbored such hopes to begin with but yeah)

I yhink it most definitely isn't anabel because her hair is longer than that and....sorry Anabel, but... she's flat :p

https://i.********/vp/1506088151081.png
It seems that the characters have hair colors that are of the same family of colors e.g. pink-pale red? orangeish? purple and yellowish? The pokemon website says we will encounter troubles related to necrozma and meet mysterious characters and pokemon. I presume these to be original new characters, possibly even the rumored royal family? Their hairstyle features all seem pretty fancy-posh to me...

Either way, cool trailer, disappointed that mantine isn't for diving, but the surfing feature is basically a water version of soaring, which is pretty cool. I feel like they had the perfect opportunity to reveal johto alolan forms today, but they didn't so...my hopes are greatly diminished.

Good to see they expanded on trials and gave Mina her own. Alolan Marowak replaces salazzle, Mallow's trial features Sudowoodo now, we get to battle Mina at some point, Ghost/ele trials changed. I wonder if we still have 7 trials or will they add more? We still don't know what roles Kahili and Ryuki have. No mention of kahunas apart from the website showing Hala is still one.

Apparently Lillie is still the same, I don't know at what point she'd become a trainer if she does at all. Hau, however, seems to have a divergent story from the one in SM.

There is a chance they could be descendants of the Royal family. These three people somewhat resemble samurai.

So, we have Manectric, Houndoom, Heracross, Tyranitar, and Ampharos in the regional dex now. I hope this means all of the Mega Stones available in the game.
I hope they have Mega Stone in the Main Story instead of being locked in the Post-game, along with Type:Null.

Wow, okay, not expecting a new trailer today. Jeez I just woke up and my hand is still numb, how I supposed write this?

This trailer got me hype. Like I watched it and couldn't freaking believe it. I just sat there, staring at the screen as it autoplayed to another video.

First off, that Mantine surf though! Like, yeah dive would have been really cool to have, and still something I want, but I can live with being able to surf between islands. Gosh I'll probably be playing that mini game a ton. It looks awesome.

Hau looks much more serious this time around. Especially with his art, he also looks like he's going to be in a few more places than last time. I love the little touch with his Torracat running beside him. Lillie also has brand new art, and it epcits her in her Z-Powered outfit. I had wondered if she was going to be a trainer from early on in the game, but still having the cutscene of her standing outside of Aether Paradise, and the fact that the website says she is Kukui's assistant, makes me believe she won't be yet, at least not in the beginning of the game. But I still wonder. Back to the clip with an Alolan Vulpix in one of those Aether homes. Maybe Lillie decides to take care of it, and she has it as a Pokemon she can use to protect herself, and Nebby with. Since it seems like she still had run away from Lusamine though, I don't suspect her going in that Aeither home. Maybe we give it to her as a gift or something...

The trials look like they will be changed up this time around, and it looks like we'll have a lot more Pokemon in the overworld. I'm really excited for Acerola's Trial, because it seems like there's an actual ghost in there. It also looks like if Alola has gyms, they are not the main focus clearly. Tied with the fact that Kukui doesn't seem to be following you as much this time around (he sailed you over to Akala on his boat, and now we can Mantine surf to other islands). Maybe it's something he gets to form one of at the very end of the game. He's spending more time trying to make this Alolan Pokemon league this time around, and since the room Ryuki is in looks like Vermillion Gym, maybe he designed it off said gym. Just a thought.

Alolan Photo Club looks really cool this time around. I loved being able to take pictures actually with my own Pokemon in HeartGold/Soulsilver, but now doing this, this will be fun. The biggest thing I saw from this trailer though is how the male Trainer looks to be dressed in a Team Skull uniform, even complete with the hat. So it does look like Team Skull is around in this game. I wasn't expecting the game to give them the boot or anything, but I'm pretty sure this is the only thing so far showing that they'll be there, unless I missed something in one of the last trailers.

Biggest thing for me though, is having more Pokemon i the Dex. As a shiny hunter, one that really loves SOS method, there were not a lot I felt I really wanted to hunt for. But I've aways wanted a Shiny Mareep, and a Shiny Zorua, so I'll be able to hunt them it seems. The only thing that this game still has me wondering, is if they'll have new Alolan forms. So far we've seen a few Johto born Pokemon, without an Alolan form. Honestly, like Essersise said, it would be idiotic of them not to make any new forms. Yes, Z moves are supposed to be the big things of Alola, but a lot of people really love these Alolan forms. And with the GS Virtual Console releasing just a couple months before the games, it really doesn't make sense if we don't see at least a few new Alolan forms. But, GF does like to surprise us. maybe the reason they revealed the two new UBs was because they just needed to gain some attention to the games. Maybe they're wanting to hold off on revealing new forms though, so we could suddenly encounter them in game and freak out then. The website also shows that Manectric and Houndoom, as well as Vulpix and Sandshrew still being version exclusive. I don't mind this, because I have a friend getting Ultra Sun, so if i really want one of them that badly for my team, I can ask if she can trade one over to me, and then I can breed it. Or I can always go to the GTS.

Okay, that was fun. All and all, these trailers have officially hyped me up towards the games. While my Super Mario Oddysey hype is still a little higher (because it's been so many years since we've gotten a true 3D mario, and oh my gosh it's a sandbox Mario game!), but once I've had that game for a couple weeks, the hype for it will die down, and while I'll still be playing the heck out of it, I'll still have Ultra Sun and Moon to look forward too.

Found some evidence of Team Skull's existence (or at least the retention of Team Skull-related assets) via the Photo Club:

MtKvnCH.jpg

It appears as though you can wear their hats now, too.

Looks as if we may actually be able to explore more freely in USUM, which will make the excessive cut scenes less annoying.

Well, this is why I voted "reserving judgement until more information" in the poll about how excited you are for USUM, even though originally on that scale of 1 to 10 I was about a 6.

As of watching these last few trailers, I'd say my excitement level is now up to an 8 or 9. A couple more interesting teasers, and I could actually end up buying these games at launch! I'll probably play them eventually regardless, but now I'm starting to take back what I said before about this not being that great of news.

Did anybody else notice how some of those surfing tricks have Pokémon-inspired names, like Primarina Twist! :LOL:

Last edited:
To everyone who hoped for following pokemon, abandon those hopes

3f4fd87a2c.jpg

Saw on serebiiguy's twitter, apparently that Rockruff doesn't follow you (never harbored such hopes to begin with but yeah)

It's still cute that you can play with certain overworld pokemon now though. Instead of just talking to them, I mean.

Maybe if you go back to the rockruff or the pikachu later they'll find random items for you?

With all the speculation in various threads about Pokedex additions and the potential changed order of things that already appeared in Sun and Moon, I wonder if we'll visit certain areas in a different order this time.

I don't necessarily mean entire islands swapping (though that would be cool) but since Melemele and Akala in particular are roughly circular, we could maybe go around them in a different order. This would be especially cool in Akala, since we could go do the trials in an order like Fire>Grass>Water, which could help the game feel a little different in terms of difficulty and pacing.

I also wonder if Alolan Marowak replacing Salazzle will be the only changed Totem - though we can probably assume there will be a new Fairy Totem for Mina's trial (side note, will Totem Kommo-o still be in the game?). I think the Fairy Totem will be either Shiinotic, Comfey, or most likely, Ribombee (since that's the only one that actually appeared on Poni in Sun and Moon).

that music during the mantine surf part of the trailer has me really hyped up!
also yay improved trials. They were so god-awful

Back
Top Bottom