• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

for me its weird that ember can burn and other starters dont get type based moves with effects early on.
Hoped that Vine whip would be like double chop or maybe something that causes flinching and that water gun could cause confusion or something in that kind.

The same goes for Leafage.

think of it not every grass starter learns early needle arm.

fire types get good rather moves like ember(damage+10%burning), flame chargé(speed+1), flame wheel(damage+freeze free+10% burn)

would rather want Beak Blast early on for the Rowlet line.

taking that water and fire get their trapping moves whirlpool and fire spin late, good that leech seed is with grass more early in many cases.
But would be cool if early grass moves would get some buff. Tackle has extra damage and its a normal type move.

Last edited:
Solrock Shel Trap
Lunatone Surf(during moon water level grows) and all "moon" moves

Mimykyu should learn a flying type move, maybe Bounce then it could take down Pheromosa.

Last edited:
zing zap is a rolling move, maybe make that also for the alolan geodude line?

BUT even if it were a rolling move and Geodude got it, Galvanise-Golem has much better options in Double edge and explosion.

yes , but if you battle a water type then sturdy golem could revenge hit them.

They really could make it a rolling move and make a rolling and spinning category of moves.

What about Delphox learning all terrain and weather moves?
that could be something for team play?
Would need a bette switching move then Baton Pass, but why could a wizard not summon a whirwind?
(Magic Bounce then mega with Psychic Surge and we got a winner)

Last edited:
I was disappointed that Alolan Raichu doesn't learn Surf by levelup or TM. You got the whole surfing motif going on, and it's not given access to one of, if not the, best Water-type move in the game.

Also when I was lowkey planning my team in my 2nd run of Platinum, i was surprised that Infernape didn't learn Drain Punch from TM, and to this day, doesn't even get it from ORAS move tutor. It would benefit from Iron Fist so much!

I was under the impression for a while that Marshadow could learn Power-Up Punch. It can't. Might be a good move by Game Freak to not include it, cuz STAB+Technician boosted Power-Up Punch which brings it to 80 (if the calcs check out), and for a move that raises Attack 1 stage after every use, it might be a little broken for someone already tearing up the place in Ubers. Otherwise it's a great contender for the move.

I was under the impression for a while that Marshadow could learn Power-Up Punch. It can't. Might be a good move by Game Freak to not include it, cuz STAB+Technician boosted Power-Up Punch which brings it to 80 (if the calcs check out), and for a move that raises Attack 1 stage after every use, it might be a little broken for someone already tearing up the place in Ubers. Otherwise it's a great contender for the move.
Calcs actually bring it to 90 (40 + Technician's 20 = 60, then STAB becomes 30), I've used Technician boosted Power-Up Punch with Breloom last generation and it really was quite good. Granted, Breloom also had Spore to buy some free time for punching away. :whistle:

My next suggestion: Coil Steelix (and Onix too, but I'm thinking more about Steelix). Appropriate for any serpent, this boosts its good Attack and ridiculous Defense like Curse already does but also raises Accuracy instead of lowering Speed, which makes Iron Tail less of a "swing and miss" sorta move for those who don't trust Gyro Ball's variable power.

I'm sure someone has said this already, but let's reiterate. Talonflame should learn Blaze Kick, given its Pokedex information, as well as Mega Kick and Double Kick through level up. I know these moves pale in comparison to its usual Flare Blitz and Brave Bird setup, but I'm a sucker for game play and story integration. It also would give in-game users an alternative to the recoil of Flare Blitz, being able to use Blaze Kick instead.

Blaze Kick
no, rather would see other/new physical option for it.

what a pitty that we have no moves that could lets say fail if used with succesion(the same move twice in a row) or moves that lower the moves posibility of hitting with evey next usage.
(this would get interresting)

Sableye got Stall? right? that means that moves like mirror coat, counter, avalanche, revenge, shel trap, beak blast wont work properly on it? would be cool if it could heal itself when not getting attack by the oponent or get some defense or sp. defense boost through it.

if it got a ability to move always last then it should get moves like revenge and others to use it properly. Torment, and others should be taken in aknowledge when its moving last.

It can learn Counter that makes it perfect against physical attackers even in and against trick room sets?

Would be cool if it could get Mirror coat , then with Stall it could make good use of it and counter.
Why didnt it get it early? its gem could be used as a mirror clearly.

It has 115 sp. defense and would be cool to use that after so many years.

Last edited:
no, rather would see other/new physical option for it.

what a pitty that we have no moves that could lets say fail if used with succesion(the same move twice in a row) or moves that lower the moves posibility of hitting with evey next usage.
(this would get interresting)

Sableye got Stall? right? that means that moves like mirror coat, counter, avalanche, revenge, shel trap, beak blast wont work properly on it? would be cool if it could heal itself when not getting attack by the oponent or get some defense or sp. defense boost through it.

if it got a ability to move always last then it should get moves like revenge and others to use it properly. Torment, and others should be taken in aknowledge when its moving last.

It can learn Counter that makes it perfect against physical attackers even in and against trick room sets?

Would be cool if it could get Mirror coat , then with Stall it could make good use of it and counter.
Why didnt it get it early? its gem could be used as a mirror clearly.

It has 115 sp. defense and would be cool to use that after so many years.
Well first of all, counter and mirror coat already have the lowest priority, so stall wouldn't matter in that regard.

And stall isn't really that great? Like yeah, it could be used with certain things like revenge or avalanche, but I don't think it would be worth it. Especially not on sableye. Who has a mega to use. Which has prankster, the literal opposite of stall. If anything they should cater more to that, but I don't see what better options it could get since it can already cripple, confuse, and heal at an increased priority.

I still find it bewildering that V-create is still not part of Victini's movepool, nor can it be tutored by an NPC or anything.

Arceus should learn an offensive Fairy-type move; Dazzling Gleam if nothing else, so that it can use Fairy-type Z-Moves. It's such a minor oversight but it really bugs me. They gave Z-Crystals the ability to change Arceus's form just like the Plates, but forgot to squeeze in a Fairy-type move?

Lunala has a suspicious lack of Lunar Dance. (I would say that the Cleffa line does as well, but a while back I checked and saw that in Japanese, the move is called Crescent Moon Dance, which doesn't fit Clefairy since they dance on nights of the full moon.)

Timburr should know Wood Hammer. I mean, c'mon.

I can see what you're going for here, and it does make sense with regard to Timburr, but it would become a bit strange once it evolves and starts attacking with steel beams and concrete pillars instead.

Lunatone Surf(during moon water level grows)

This is good.

I can see what you're going for here, and it does make sense with regard to Timburr, but it would become a bit strange once it evolves and starts attacking with steel beams and concrete pillars instead.

We've had much more weirder moves on different Pokémon (Slurpuff and Clefable having Flaemthrower and Fire Blast respectively for example). I don’t see this being a huge concern.

Just as strange as Shroomish being able to use Drain Punch & Focus Punch, Rhyhorn able to use Iron Tail, Gastly being able to use Ice, Thunder & Fire Punch, Beheeyem being able to use Steel Wing, Aron being able to use Iron Tail, the Nidorans being able to use Iron Tail, Goomy and Sliggoo being able to use Iron Tail, Cyndaquil and Quilava being able to use Iron Tail, Pupitar being able to use Bite & Crunch, Togekiss being able to Drain Punch and the plethora of other Pokemon able to use moves that their bodies should naturally prevent them from doing. It's been a common occurrence for an evolutionary line being able to make use of a move that only one of the evolutionary line can practically execute. Your argument is moot, unless it's just your personal opinion.

All’s I said was it would be weird. Didn’t say it wouldn’t or shouldn’t happen, just to be clear.

Back
Top Bottom