• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

OK, "sunny side up" to "sunny side down" is one of the most arbitrary changes I've ever seen in this dub. Along with that extra line about burnt eggs and slapping text on the plant signs for some reason, I wonder if 4Kids had some sort of quota of how many changes they needed to make every episode.

Also, I had a feeling that "plenty more girls to reject you" line was dub-only. Even if it's true (Bulbapedia counts over five hundred), it still struck me as a rather out-of-character thing for Ash to say.

It's surprising that 4Kids went to reference a slasher film when the scene shows an elderly couple quietly eating rice. Wouldn't it be easier to just make up a film title that make it sound like it's about the elderly couple missing their kids and grand kids?

Ah, the start of the tradition of using Pokemon in film making. Always a treat, but the first time was the best because of how nutty they made it :LOL:

And funny you bring up Psyduck's DEM powers since he just used those a couple of weeks ago! :ROFLMAO:

Though say...what WAS "There's Nothing I Like More Than Breakfast" based on, given the Kanto Saga's habit of making Japanese pop culture references? Anyone got any ideas? o_O Because whatever it was looked like an old drama about a poor couple.
Also, leave it to 4Kids to make a change that's even MORE awkward than what was there...Seriously, a reference to "I Know What You Did Last Summer"? Not only is that inappropriate (though to be fair, it was parodied/imitated for years, so kids may've known about the meme before the movie), but it just doesn't work in context :confused:

Last edited:
OK, "sunny side up" to "sunny side down" is one of the most arbitrary changes I've ever seen in this dub.
They also forgot to edit the egg.
Screenshot_2017-10-03-05-59-47.png

Last edited:
Can we just take this moment to look back on Lucky Lucky - like seriously, where the f did this come from?! I still can't get over the fact that they actually used this song in the show.

(In case anyone's confused - I love this song.)

The dub of this episode is just...wow. I could tell there were plenty of dub-isms throughout, but the script was even more heavily edited than I thought. Granted, the dub lines are pretty funny in their own right, but I still don't see why 4Kids felt the need to change most all of those lines. Also, I have to say that the dub track makes the dance scene rather awkward though – so in-universe songwriters know that "Team Rocket's on the run" now?

As for the episode itself, I agree Katrina was a pretty boring character, and she didn't even show up later at the League or anything. I did like the rest of the episode, though. Cleavon Schpielbunk was an entertaining character and I'm pretty disappointed that he only shows up once more in the following episode.

Kinda off-topic but, what's a "sunny side down" egg? A fried egg served with the yolk facing down?
I didn't even know that was a thing! Dang, even the simplest of foreign cuisine customs can seem so strange to one...

Okay, I've never met Dogasu, but every thread I've seen him in he seems kinda rude.
He also apparently really doesn't like the English version very much
I’ve seen him blatantly admit he hates the dub on his Facebook page.

That’s all fine and dandy if that’s how he feels, but it certainly plays a part into why a lot of these comparisons come off as nit picky or downright whining in some cases.

I’ve seen him blatantly admit he hates the dub on his Facebook page.

That’s all fine and dandy if that’s how he feels, but it certainly plays a part into why a lot of these comparisons come off as nit picky or downright whining in some cases.

I mean he also praises the dub when he thinks it's done well and sometimes will even admit he is nitpicking, so I'm not sure what you want. Most of the negativity I've seen is in the "thoughts" section of each comparison (which imo is usually my favorite part of each one) but that's very obviously marked as his personal thoughts of each episode?

And like it's called Dogasu's Backpack so of course it's gonna be pretty heavily-based on his opinions (though I still stand by the fact that his comparisons are usually pretty objective).

I mean he also praises the dub when he thinks it's done well and sometimes will even admit he is nitpicking, so I'm not sure what you want. Most of the negativity I've seen is in the "thoughts" section of each comparison (which imo is usually my favorite part of each one) but that's very obviously marked as his personal thoughts of each episode?

And like it's called Dogasu's Backpack so of course it's gonna be pretty heavily-based on his opinions (though I still stand by the fact that his comparisons are usually pretty objective).
> Dogasu
>"Objective"
> "Usually"

His opinion on Butch's dub voice: "Eric Stuart makes Butch sound like teh chain smoker!"

The facts: Stuart has never smoked in his entire life, even said in an Interview he tried to stay away from any of that because it'd harm his voice if he did, thus his career.

A very objective deduction by Dogasu!

Or how about the time when he said, to paraphrase what he said in his Episode 1 dub comparison...

>"The first dub episode keeps 50% of the OST, which is more than the company will end up doing later"

Only keeps 2 pieces, 11.8%: RBY Opening & Tears After The Cloudy Weather, less than even what 4Kids would keep towards the end of their Anime dub on average. But no, he was totally right about this, like he is with everything!

I could go on and on, but he isn't without his own "inaccuracies" as well.

Also, it's not like TPCi didn't produce their own inaccurate scripts at times for the dub either at times (and still does in some episodes), but of course only 4Kids could do this because they are the devil, even though the company is long since dead and it totally makes sense to bash their Kanto dub in 2017, while not reviewing any TPCi dub episodes since mid BW, when he hasn't reviewed those Arcs at all.

Clearly we have no double standards here from you people, no, not at all: it's okay to do, as long as it's not 4Kids who does it! :D

(P.S. He never thinks it's done well lately other than "The Pi-Kahuna" script wise, and before you say anything how "If 4Kids scripted these eps better blah blah blah I wouldn't have to" Dogasu and co., keep in mind before this Kanto 2017 campaign of yours, Dogasu never personally lambasted Michael Haigney in a review nor did he write paragraph long essays on the dub at times, either, you were far less verbose in your text length, and clear in the past in your analyses IMHO.)

Last edited:
His opinion on Butch's dub voice: "Eric Stuart makes Butch sound like teh chain smoker!"

The facts: Stuart has never smoked in his entire life, even said in an Interview he tried to stay away from any of that because it'd harm his voice if he did, thus his career.

A very objective deduction by Dogasu!
Are you serious? :ROFLMAO:
Also, it's not like TPCi didn't produce their own inaccurate scripts at times for the dub either at times (and still does in some episodes), but of course only 4Kids could do this because they are the devil, even though the company is long since dead and it totally makes sense to bash their Kanto dub in 2017, while not reviewing any TPCi dub episodes since mid BW, when he hasn't reviewed those Arcs at all.

Clearly we have no double standards here from you people, no, not at all: it's okay to do, as long as it's not 4Kids who does it! :D
I have no idea where you get that Dogasu is a TPCI dub fan. He was always critical of it. I'm also mystified by your insistence to support 4Kids dub, no matter what changes they made.

Last edited:
Are you serious? :ROFLMAO:

I have no idea where you get that Dogasu is a TPCI dub fan. He was always critical of it. I'm also mystified by your insistence to support 4Kids dub, no matter what changes they made.

(1) Yes, that shows how poor his judgment is on voice acting, right there. He shouldn't say a word about someone's acting when he doesn't even get his facts straight. If he wanted to call someone's voice a chain-smoker, the only time that would even be justified would be with Sarah Natochenny or the late Maddie Blaustein's work since they two did/used to smoke in the past, but that sort of criticism has the maturity of a 5 year old in analyzing someone's VA work in general, so I find it infantile in general.

(2) The thing is Dogasu is often never critical of TPCi dub scripts despite their own inaccuracies over the years, he's glossed over tons of changes they made while bashing 4Kids dub scripts for the same exact stuff- these double standards frankly lead me to question his logic, that's why. It's totally okay for TPCi to do things like this, things he never mentioned in his compare on the episode as an example (Anime Episode Database), but if 4Kids did it? The devils!

And I'm mystified by people's insistence on defending TPCi's dub while bashing 4Kids' dub for doing the same stuff the current dub still does too, no matter what changes they make, as they're not any better about this than 4Kids was save for less visual edits (if not worse in certain areas nowadays, Team Rocket's dialogue and the music replacement at its highest these days being among the contenders, not to mention the lovely shortened intros we've had the last decade, among many other things).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom