• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rumours/Fakes/Leaks Discussion Thread (V2)

OR it's actually illegal to put up footage of a game that isn't released yet, of course it's being removed. You could also just have patience and wait the remaining 6 days.
meh i have enougth for way i dont care everyone its agreed with you comment ¿you want rekt me or deal with it or something? because i feel you try reduce absurd my argumento

Also, not to be a downer, but there's not much to be yearning for here. Like, sure I'm looking forward to playing it, but I've seen a good amount of the game and it's almost exactly the same as SM and includes very few improvements. Most of SM's problems have not been fixed at all. It's just minor story changes (no more different than Emerald from RS for example), a new minigame or two (Mantine Surf, Ultra Wormhole Ride), and a slightly bigger dex.
exacly its same but its pathetic how copy and paste same thing my first reaction obviously its pissed completely

778 pages of discussion hetween the two leak threads for SM and USUM. Good leak seasons for this generation.
indeed glad to meet you and everyone this is my first experiencie watching thread evolving and i m feel kinda sad because hope i want soku reunite again

I've been watching streams and there are some smaller changes as well.

When you get to Malie City Hau challenges you to a battle once you get past its Pokemon Center instead of soon after you get off the boat, there's a comical Chuuster event at Hano Grand Resort, Mallow's trial is now slightly different in that she guides you around Lush Jungle, Kiawe's trial answers are also different, the Pokemon you fight in Lana's trial at Brooklet Hill are also different and the totem in UM is Araquanid.

778 pages of discussion hetween the two leak threads for SM and USUM. Good leak seasons for this generation.
It helps we've had two eventful leak seasons in a row. SM alone had the fully evolved Alolan starters leaked months before release, the riddler, the Chinese leaks, etc. Next gen will probably be just as big because it's on a new console.

Kind of the fault of Game Freak for consistently releasing mediocre games, no surprise people are jaded at this point.
They haven't released a mediocre game since XY*, IMO. Now, I am disappointed that they didn't bother to include new Alolan forms (and yet Megas, a much more forced and unnecessary concept**, got an extra push in ORAS) and we aren't getting too many UBs, but that's the extent of my disappointment. I'm more than happy with the selection of Move Tutor moves, the fact that the games do less hand-holding is good, and seeing Guzma get to make good on his redemption and help the player out is worth the price of the game for me.

*calling XY "mediocre" may be a bit too generous, considering the bland characters, poor story, abysmally low amount of new Pokemon, utter screwing over of the Bug type and the introduction of the wildly unnecessary concept of Mega Evolution, but I'm in a decently good mood today and don't feel like being too mean
**there are still some good Megas, though. Ampharos, Heracross, Beedrill and Sableye are great, but most are overdesigned to an extent they make Gen IV's designs seem as simple as Gen I and II's designs and I really wish they hadn't turned Lopunny into a good Pokemon

Last edited:
You know the old adage “you can’t please everyone all the time?” Yeah, that.
i think there's a difference between "did you like emerald y/n" and releasing a game that's essentially 40 dollar DLC that isn't even worth 40 dollars. but i guess-- not to come at anyone particular in the thread because i know it's not the case for everyone-- when you're not paying for the games yourselves it's easy to justify it.

If USUM was truly, "just DLC", then how do you add in the alternate story on top of the one SM has?
In SM, you have to battle Nebby. However, Nebby is a gift Pokémon in USUM. Contrasts like this are why USUM can't be DLC.

If USUM was truly, "just DLC", then how do you add in the alternate story on top of the one SM has?
In SM, you have to battle Nebby. However, Nebby is a gift Pokémon in USUM. Contrasts like this are why USUM can't be DLC.
this is such a flimsy argument. the story changes are overall minute and could have easily been packaged as a post-game episode that they've grown fond of. the changes are there so Game Freak can justify selling a half-assed game, full price. also Nebby is not a gift in USUM, you've gotta capture them as well.

i think there's a difference between "did you like emerald y/n" and releasing a game that's essentially 40 dollar DLC that isn't even worth 40 dollars. but i guess-- not to come at anyone particular in the thread because i know it's not the case for everyone-- when you're not paying for the games yourselves it's easy to justify it.

From what I have seen from the datamine, I don’t see how USUM is different from any of the other third versions from Yellow onward.

This feels like Stars all over again - people hyped up in their minds what USUM will Be and reality fails to come close. I, too, am slightly disappointed that there are no new Alolan forms and see that as a big missed opportunity. However, I feel there’s enough there of new content for me to purchase the game. Surfing Pikachu and Rainbow Rocket being worth the price of admission - your mileage may vary.

I get this isn’t the game the entire fan base wants, but like other fandoms, I’m tired of seeing the whining and entitled attitudes calling things “half assed” or whatever when most of us haven’t played it yet. Go make your own games then.

(That whinny quip isn’t directed at you specifically, Godiego, just a general airing of grievances. You’re not the worst offender in these threads and have been rather polite in your frustrations to USUM)

I don’t see how USUM is different from any of the other third versions from Yellow onward.

Exactly. That's the problem.

However, I feel there’s enough there of new content for me to purchase the game. Surfing Pikachu and Rainbow Rocket being worth the price of admission - your mileage may vary.

Fair; I'm inclined to agree.

GameFreak is a business selling a product that we pay for. This isn't a gift. The entire concept of entitlement is completely irrelevant to this topic. The fanbase has every right to be highly disappointed in the continuance of a practice which is highly outdated and kinda sleazy, especially in the time of free updates and paid DLC. Add this to another two facts:

1) GameFreak already set a bar higher than this: Black 2 and White 2. They've already shown they are capable of developing a proper sequel with plenty of fresh content - a "third version" worth buying. Not to mention the 3rd version staple of having a high-quality, high replay-value, varied battle facility (Battle Frontier/PWT).

2) Not only is the amount of new content in USUM no beefier than a typical $10 DLC ($30 cheaper than a full game release), but USUM is being released only 1 year after its predecessors, whereas Emerald and Platinum at least had the excuse of waiting a solid 2 years.

I hope you enjoy USUM, just as I hope I will do the same - but to ignore the fact that GameFreak has been pushing out games with relatively minimal effort is staggeringly disappointing. This is not just evident in the games and how little they have evolved (must I bring up the fact that they are the only developer incompetent enough to introduce good new features only to take them away in the next entry?), but even in interviews they admit this. Masuda has stated multiple times that they have opted to include less content in their games based on the ridiculous reason that smartphones and their content are popular and they don't think people care about content anymore. Another Pokemon executive stated that they are aware that a third version release like USUM is an outdated practice, but that they thought it would still be successful. Being the developers of Pokemon, they are one of the wealthiest game developers in the world, and they have every capability needed to improve Pokemon games. They didn't even fix the basic QOL issues that many people complained about in SM.

Go make your own games then.

Please. This kind of argument is nothing but fallacy. The people you're telling to make their own games (us, and such people in the fanbase) are not one of the wealthiest and most influential groups of videogame developers with 20+ years of experience, like GameFreak is. There's no reason that Pokemon could not be of similar quality and caliber to first party Nintnedo games like BOTW and Odyssey (not saying they should be similar in gameplay, just overall quality) or even non-Nintendo AAA franchises. They're not only successful, but in partnership with the giant that is Nintendo.

I assure you, I'm not hating. I love Pokemon, I'm looking forward to USUM just as you are (though maybe not as much as I'd like to be able to). But accepting products of such lazy quality when their potential is so much greater will just encourage GameFreak to do nothing to critically improve.

Last edited:
this is such a flimsy argument. the story changes are overall minute and could have easily been packaged as a post-game episode that they've grown fond of. the changes are there so Game Freak can justify selling a half-assed game, full price.

Now see, this is an area where I’m a bit unsure about how I feel. On the one hand, yeah, I think it would be smart of them to embrace DLC, and I do think that USUM in particular should have changed more than they did.

But on the other hand... in a general sense, even a standard cut third version is going to give me a lot more to do in the second year than a download that gives me a mere extra hour and a half of story and some bonus features, even though a good chunk of that third version is just a slight rework of stuff I played through before.

I guess I’m just wondering if DLC would “replace” follow-up games, be they third versions or sequels or whatever, and if so, I’m not sure how much I’d like that. I understand why other people wouldn’t want to play through a game that they already played last year, but speaking purely for myself... replaying Pokémon games that I’ve already played is what I do all the time anyway. I like going through the main campaign sooooooooo much more than I like doing basically anything in the post-game, and with something like USUM, you get to go through the main campaign from the ground-up with a wider selection of Pokémon and overhauled Trials, and you can’t just steamroll it with a fully assembled team that’s at least in the Lv70s with every TM and item at your disposal.

I guess I’m just wondering if DLC would “replace” follow-up games, be they third versions or sequels or whatever, and if so, I’m not sure how much I’d like that. I understand why other people wouldn’t want to play through a game that they already played last year, but speaking purely for myself... replaying Pokémon games that I’ve already played is what I do all the time anyway. I like going through the main campaign sooooooooo much more than I like doing basically anything in the post-game, and with something like USUM, you get to go through the main campaign from the ground-up with a wider selection of Pokémon and overhauled Trials, and you can’t just steamroll it with a fully assembled team that’s at least in the Lv70s with every TM and item at your disposal.

I feel much the same. This is why I would prefer if they just made the initial generation pairs much more fleshed out and complete and full of content; as if the "third version" were the original instead. Then, instead of a third version like C/E/Pt/USUM, they could either release a full-fledged sequel or remakes to fill the generation. This way, DLC and updates wouldn't even be necessary (outside of making new forms and such introduced in the sequels/remakes usable in the originals).

Exactly. That's the problem.

Fair; I'm inclined to agree.

GameFreak is a business selling a product that we pay for. This isn't a gift. The entire concept of entitlement is completely irrelevant to this topic. The fanbase has every right to be highly disappointed in the continuance of a practice which is highly outdated and kinda sleazy, especially in the time of free updates and paid DLC. Add this to another two facts:

1) GameFreak already set a bar higher than this: Black 2 and White 2. They've already shown they are capable of developing a proper sequel with plenty of fresh content - a "third version" worth buying. Not to mention the 3rd version staple of having a high-quality, high replay-value, varied battle facility (Battle Frontier/PWT).

2) Not only is the amount of new content in USUM no beefier than a typical $10 DLC ($30 cheaper than a full game release), but USUM is being released only 1 year after its predecessors, whereas Emerald and Platinum at least had the excuse of waiting a solid 2 years.

I hope you enjoy USUM, just as I hope I will do the same - but to ignore the fact that GameFreak has been pushing out games with relatively minimal effort is staggeringly disappointing. This is not just evident in the games and how little they have evolved (must I bring up the fact that they are the only developer incompetent enough to introduce good new features only to take them away in the next entry?), but even in interviews they admit this. Masuda has stated multiple times that they have opted to include less content in their games based on the ridiculous reason that smartphones and their content are popular and they don't think people care about content anymore. Another Pokemon executive stated that they are aware that a third version release like USUM is an outdated practice, but that they thought it would still be successful. Being the developers of Pokemon, they are one of the wealthiest game developers in the world, and they have every capability needed to improve Pokemon games. They didn't even fix the basic QOL issues that many people complained about in SM.

Please. This kind of argument is nothing but fallacy. The people you're telling to make their own games (us, and such people in the fanbase) are not one of the wealthiest and most influential groups of videogame developers with 20+ years of experience, like GameFreak is.

I assure you, I'm not hating. I love Pokemon, I'm looking forward to USUM just as you are (though maybe not as much as I'd like to be able to). But accepting products of such lazy quality when their potential is so much greater will just encourage GameFreak to do nothing to critically improve.

See, I guess I’m coming from a different place - I started with Gen 1 back when they first came to the US, Gen 3 being the last games I purchased for years - almost a decade. I bought a 3DS and ORAS/XY only a few months before SM came out. I found ORAS great but XY lackluster. And that’s okay. SM has me excited again for the series and I had a blast playing them.

I haven’t been with the series with every iteration of the games over the years, so I don’t have nostalgia goggles or anything for two gens I didn’t play and one that I did but wasn’t around for the hype. So to me, compared to Gens 1-3, SM were a huge improvement and I enjoyed the story...

There’s also a few things we need to keep in mind. 1) at the end of the day, these games are geared towards children. Young children. Us older players are not and will not be their target demographic for features/content. And 2) while the games have been highly successful here in the West, we are not the home market for these games nor are our wants going to be the first GameFreak hears. Also, there is a precedent in the gaming community-at-large where fans complain, publishers change something, and it isn’t good. There are many changes or decisions I’d make if I were making Pokémon games, but I’m not.

And I’m sorry, the fan base does come off as entitled and pathetic when they complain about a game and say they’re not going to buy it when they haven’t played it. Yes, GameFreak is a company and in the interest of turning a profit, however, that doesn’t mean some fans don’t take ownership of the franchise and think their opinion is the only one that matters. That’s obnoxious.

Back
Top Bottom