• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

USUM Datamine Discussion

could also just be a breeding mechanic with an item. you know have one of the parents hold say the strange souvenir and then boom, alolan vulpix. what will be interesting is how they deal with ones like Cubone and Pikachu which only evolve into alolan formes and are not born one. (although i don't know how they set up those kinds of evolutions anyways.)
Special evolution items from Alola (Alola Thunder Stone, Alola Leaf Stone and maybe some sort of Dusk Stone for Cubone).

Ok, so I just saw some post on Chinese forum Baidu about the Ultra Ride. Apparently, the person who got to play said that the further you travel, the more likely the pokemon will be shiny when encounter. Also, further warp hole only increase chances of legendary, no guarantee. So you might encounter a legendary just about 300 light years away and might not encounter one about 4000 light years away.

could also just be a breeding mechanic with an item. you know have one of the parents hold say the strange souvenir and then boom, alolan vulpix.

They can just use the Everstone for those, they already do that with the Kantonian forms, so the easiest solution is to just swap them around.

Cubone/Exeggcute/Pikachu are a bit tricky since they actually need to be in Alola. I guess they could include standard wild encounters around the Legendaries and, if they decide to continue with portals/wormholes, have you actually encounter the Tapus in Alola.

Since Alolan forms are supposed to be adaptations to the environment (i.e., actual evolution) it would have just made more sense if they just made it a breeding mechanic where Pokemon with an "Alola" hidden value (more important for things like Cubone who are only variants in evolution) gave birth to Alolan variants if the mother is an Alolan variant (i.e., the same way species are decided for inter-species breeding in the series). No more convoluted held items. Just change the mechanic in the future!

New games could literally just solve the issue by having (female) Alolan variants as gift Pokemon or returning the Safari Zone and having an "Alolan" area to catch them.

Super-duper Ultra Insignificant reference I just caught while going through the text files again, but it made my fanboy heart flutter nonetheless:

> “I’ve finally come to Alola after a long journey! You’re the first Trainer I’ve met! To commemorate our meeting, please have this! That’s a Nugget! I can’t give you any nuggets of wisdom, so that’ll have to do! The Alola region has a lot of islands. It’s similar to my homeland. I dug up a lot of Nuggets on the Sevii Islands. So I’m giving them away everywhere.”

I never expected a cameo from the guy who dug out Three Isle Path... also, I’m pretty sure that this is only the second time ever that the Sevii Islands have gotten a reference in a later game.

Also, I don’t know if anyone else has pointed it out, but there is also some text that suggests you can trade Shards for Bottle Caps. Old news, Ess. :p

Last edited:
Super-duper Ultra Insignificant reference I just caught while going through the text files again, but it made my fanboy heart flutter nonetheless:

> “I’ve finally come to Alola after a long journey! You’re the first Trainer I’ve met! To commemorate our meeting, please have this! That’s a Nugget! I can’t give you any nuggets of wisdom, so that’ll have to do! The Alola region has a lot of islands. It’s similar to my homeland. I dug up a lot of Nuggets on the Sevii Islands. So I’m giving them away everywhere.”

I never expected a cameo from the guy who dug out Three Isle Path... also, I’m pretty sure that this is only the second time ever that the Sevii Islands have gotten a reference in a later game.

That's so beautiful and perfect :cry::love:

I'm a little sorry for being so hard on you, USUM :p

Last edited:
Very disappointed in Game Freak with Stakataka. They missed a huge opportunity here-it could have been Ghost/Steel, or even Ghost/Rock, for some unique defensive typing. But no. They just love making Rock/Steel types with insanely high defenses undermined by two 4x weaknesses. Its lack of recovery is also strange, given its Jenga-like design. Recover would make so much sense.

And lastly, they give its counterpart a neat signature move, but not Stakataka itself.

The name Stakataka had given me a sliver of hope that this Ultra Beast wouldn't be defense oriented. Sadly, it was doomed from conception.

I just have one of those enlighten moment which I realized that Necrozma theme isn't fusion like Kyurem as I had thought when I saw Dawn Wings and Dusk Mane. Necrozma is reconfiguration. Its formes revolve around arranging its body parts in different ways to get completely different looks.

Very disappointed in Game Freak with Stakataka. They missed a huge opportunity here-it could have been Ghost/Steel, or even Ghost/Rock, for some unique defensive typing. But no. They just love making Rock/Steel types with insanely high defenses undermined by two 4x weaknesses. Its lack of recovery is also strange, given its Jenga-like design. Recover would make so much sense.

And lastly, they give its counterpart a neat signature move, but not Stakataka itself.

The name Stakataka had given me a sliver of hope that this Ultra Beast wouldn't be defense oriented. Sadly, it was doomed from conception.

Well Staka has 131 Attack + a (nearly always) high powered Gyro Ball. 131 Attack + 150 BP move is a very strong combination, it's stronger than things like Garchomp's Outrage, Tyranitar's Stone Edge, Excadrill's Earthquake, Tyrantrum's Head Smash. It can even set up Trick Room for itself to get the Gyro Ball damage rolling.

I'm guilty of being disappointed in Staka's type, but it looks like it will have a stronger niche than most of us expected. It certainly will be better than Bastiodon, Aggron and Probopass before it, which is good at least. It needs to be looked at as more of a bulky attacker than a wall.

Do we currently know if we have access to white hair and purple eyes earlier than the post game? Or is it locked until the post game again? Also, and more importantly, do we finally get full length pants in USUM? Gamefreak will have hell to pay if they are going to force me to wear shorts again.

Do we currently know if we have access to white hair and purple eyes earlier than the post game? Or is it locked until the post game again? Also, and more importantly, do we finally get full length pants in USUM? Gamefreak will have hell to pay if they are going to force me to wear shorts again.

You can find the new customization options here. That's all the new there is, the rest is still the same. So no real long pants, no.

Can't really figure out if eye and hair colors are locked to postgame again. Knowing GF, they probably are :/

You can find the new customization options here. That's all the new there is, the rest is still the same. So no real long pants, no.

Can't really figure out if eye and hair colors are locked to postgame again. Knowing GF, they probably are :/

It's bad enough knowing that we are forced to wear shorts when plenty of NPC characters wear full length pants, but it is even worse knowing they force us to wear shorts despite the fact that even though it is an island region, part of it snows. Atleast one store in this region should sell warmer attire to account for that. :/

Oh well, looks like I'll have to put up with such unattractive attire again until the next games. Atleast the new Kommo-O themed shirt looks good.

Also, I don’t know if anyone else has pointed it out, but there is also some text that suggests you can trade Shards for Bottle Caps.

You could already do this in the originals, there's an NPC in Festival Plaza that will trade you a Bottle Cap for a certain number of Shards (it was a pretty ridiculous trade though, you needed something like 20 of any color).

You could already do this in the originals, there's an NPC in Festival Plaza that will trade you a Bottle Cap for a certain number of Shards (it was a pretty ridiculous trade though, you needed something like 20 of any color).

Ahh, I see. Thanks for that, I never bothered to try.

Are you sure that’s all? I don’t see the Kommo-o hat there, unless I’m being blind.

It's bad enough knowing that we are forced to wear shorts when plenty of NPC characters wear full length pants, but it is even worse knowing they force us to wear shorts despite the fact that even though it is an island region, part of it snows. Atleast one store in this region should sell warmer attire to account for that. :/

Oh well, looks like I'll have to put up with such unattractive attire again until the next games. Atleast the new Kommo-O themed shirt looks good.
At least there's Gen 8 in the works hopefully. it goes back to Gen 6s tier of customization which still is the best!

This set could be the most useful for Stakataka imo.. I don't think it'll be in the same tier as Nihilego (UU) but given there's no real recovery outside of rest this might be the better set for it considering it's typing..

Stakataka @->Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball (getting 0 ivs in speed though is going to be difficult as crap..)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide/stone edge
- Zen Headbutt/Superpower

Its still got quite a bit of bulk to it and 130 base attack non stab EQ with LO still isn't a guaranteed 1-hit kill against it (252 Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 291-348 (89.2 - 106.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO) (ignore the pokemon used.. I did some editing on the stats and proper typing change) Most likely going to be more used in Dubs though..

Still missing the ponytail from G6 though :V.. I've been stuck on the long straight option and brunette for my character's hair but haven't used the blonde hair color because it looks like it soaked up too much yellow in G7.. Hopefully I won't have the urge to change it as repeatedly during UM.. but it's likely not to happen because things get old too quickly..

Back
Top Bottom