• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers What do you NOT like about USUM?

Just beat Hala and I'm disappointed the Kahuna theme hasn't gotten an upgrade. It was one of my least favourite themes in SuMo cause it's simply way too happy and was hoping it would sound more epic now, like the wild battle theme. But alas :(

I've only played up to the second trial, but I've already have too much things I don't like about the game:
1. Nearly a carbon copy of Sun/Moon. I feel like this game is just Sun and Moon with some added cutscenes and added content, but that's it. It bothers me because that meant I pretty much spent $40 on DLC
2. No walking Pokemon. GF hasn't added walking Pokemon since HGSS, and while it was frustrating in other games, it's the most frustrating in this game because a) There are Pokemon you can interact with that's like walking Pokemon and b) FREAKING HAU HAS WALKING POKEMON
3. Ultra Recon Squad. They just pop out of nowhere, say a few words or battle, then just leave. So far there isn't a big point for their inclusion, but that may change later

Seriously this game is making me want to sell it after beating it, a first for Pokemon games.

So I don't know that this is so much a complaint with the game per se more than it is a complaint with the battle UI, but the following scenario just happened, and it bothered me quite a bit:

I was fighting Gladion for the second time and he sent out Type: Null. Now I know I had seen this before because I had already fought him once before, but my moves were not showing the effectiveness against it like they normally do for a Pokemon you've already encountered. I clicked High Jump Kick anyway and that's when Zoroark's illusion ended. Now that I know this, it's a dead giveaway if my opponent is an illusioned Zoroark, because the type effectiveness still shows up regardless of what the illusion is.

So I went to Malie, where the cut-off jeans were. And they didn't have the black ones in stock, even though those are my FAVORITE pants, and they had black versions of items everywhere else. I can't even get them in Festival Plaza because only one person I've seen actually wears them, and I can't buy a pair off of them because they keep commenting on how we both own the same hat.

Version-exclusive clothing was a mistake. Festival Plaza was a mistake.

Guzma's new character arc. He went from this:
097.jpg

To this:
tumblr_oxz41iXbng1uwlqvvo9_1280.png

So I don't know that this is so much a complaint with the game per se more than it is a complaint with the battle UI, but the following scenario just happened, and it bothered me quite a bit:

I was fighting Gladion for the second time and he sent out Type: Null. Now I know I had seen this before because I had already fought him once before, but my moves were not showing the effectiveness against it like they normally do for a Pokemon you've already encountered. I clicked High Jump Kick anyway and that's when Zoroark's illusion ended. Now that I know this, it's a dead giveaway if my opponent is an illusioned Zoroark, because the type effectiveness still shows up regardless of what the illusion is.

That's weird, cause when he used Zorua in his first battle, the type effectiveness did change for me when the illusion ended. Will pay extra attention to that next time I battle him, hm.

That's weird, cause when he used Zorua in his first battle, the type effectiveness did change for me when the illusion ended. Will pay extra attention to that next time I battle him, hm.
Well since there's now a spoiler tag on this thread, I won't bother with further spoiler tags:

I fought Gladeon at the base of Mount Lanakila. He sent out Zoroark illusioned as Silvally. Since I had now seen Zoroark, I saw the type effectiveness of my moves against it, but it showed the type effectiveness of my moves as if I was using them against Silvally-Grass. Then, when he sent out Silvally, I could not see the type effectiveness of my moves against it because I hadn't technically seen Silvally yet.

Conclusion: The game's type effectiveness indicator works only if you've seen the Pokemon at least once before in at least one form. If you encounter the same species (Pokedex number) at a later time in a different form with a changed type, it doesn't care; because it just knows that you've seen it in at least one form before, so it shows you the effectiveness of your moves for any form or variation thereof.

I had a similar experience with a Dancer that used all four Oricorio formes. Even though I had only ever seen the electric form, the game showed my type effectiveness against all four forms. I can't say I approve of this mechanic, seeing how forms that change type are kind of a big deal.

The GTS is still absolute horsehit. It's been generations and they still haven't made it so people can't make impossible demands. Even worse is that most people don't ask for reasonable trades, and so few people are bothering to make trades at all because the GTS is so bad.

Basically:

-Certain character scenes from the original removed/changed for the worse felt a few things were missing and off even for an alternate timeline.

-I'm mixed on the ending while shorten(which I'm one of the very few that didn't mind the other one) it felt eh....and didn't left an impact like the original did.

-URS lost potential

-Outside seeing all past villains which was cool the whole Rainbow Rocket episode was a bit underwhelming(except fighting with Lillie and seeing Colress some more the best parts for me! :) )

Rotom Dex constantly giving hints when trying to look at the map.

Lillie only being a partner in the Battle Tree with only 3 confirmed Pokemon so far. I can guess a couple that she can also potentially have but that'll be until her obvious future cameo appearances.

This is pretty much it honestly

Last edited:
Mallow's trail. Like... was that supposed to be an improvement somehow? The one in SuMo was more fun imo, using Stoutland to explore the area yourself. Now Mallow literally takes you everywhere and all you have to do is pick a bush/tree. That was extremely underwhelming. Though I kinda liked the Sudowoodo part which was more of a puzzle, the rest looked like pure guesswork.

Still forever disappointed they didn't do more with the trials, and then this happens when they have an actual chance to improve it -_-

Mallow's trail. Like... was that supposed to be an improvement somehow? The one in SuMo was more fun imo, using Stoutland to explore the area yourself. Now Mallow literally takes you everywhere and all you have to do is pick a bush/tree. That was extremely underwhelming. Though I kinda liked the Sudowoodo part which was more of a puzzle, the rest looked like pure guesswork.

Still forever disappointed they didn't do more with the trials, and then this happens when they have an actual chance to improve it -_-
it's so weird that Lana and Kiawe's bland trials go unchanged yet Mallow's more interesting one was changed to basically the same thing but streamlined. very disappointing that most trials weren't on the level of Sophocles's.

I've only just made it to Ula'ula, but I'll just mention what I don't like so far.
  • The Charizard flying animation is still too long for my tastes.
  • SOS Battles. Seriously, would an item that prevents these from happening be so hard?
  • The awful lag still present in double battles.
  • Lazily not changing the Kahuna battle music.
  • Rotom giving tips OVER AND OVER is really annoying. Wish you could turn it off.
  • Shoving in being 11 years old when both protags clearly look like teenagers, in my opinion. At the very least, it should just be left vague.
  • The trials are still honestly really boring.
That's about all I got for the moment.

SOS Battles. Seriously, would an item that prevents these from happening be so hard?

An item would be ideal, but for what it’s worth, you can prevent them by inflicting status on the opponent.

Lazily not changing the Kahuna battle music.

Is this necessarily “lazy,” though? They didn’t remix like, the Gym Leader or Elite Four themes in any of the other third versions. It is entirely possible that they simply think the Kahuna battle theme is fine as-is. (I love it, myself.)

When these games were announced I toyed in my mind with the idea of 'Alternate Story' meaning much more than a simple 3rd game...And seeing Guzzlord's homeworld really makes me wish that they went in full stop with the idea. Making USM's Alola into a truly different experience, where life took another direction. That would've been wild. I mean...Maybe not the Ultra Ruin scenario exactly...But still! The fundamental idea is better represented there than anywhere else in the game in my opinion. It's all too samey.

Yeah, I had the same thought when I read about Ultra Ruin, although I've never seen anyone come up with a good idea for how Alola would be altered except for gyms. There was speculation about volcanic activity, but that would have been pretty irrelevant to the story (this isn't Hoenn here).

A more obvious missed opportunity is Ultra Megalopolis not even being a city, much less the mini region it should have been. Another thing they could have easily done was have Necrozma steal the light much earlier in the game.

I don't know why they hyped up Lillie and especially Hau's "new" characteristics. The latter's artwork is completely misleading.

Last edited:
Yeah, I had the same thought when I read about Ultra Ruin, although I've never seen anyone come up with a good idea for how Alola would be altered except for gyms. There was speculation about volcanic activity, but that would have been pretty irrelevant to the story (this isn't Hoenn here).

A more obvious missed opportunity is Ultra Megalopolis not even being a city, much less the mini region it should have been. Another thing they could have easily done was have Necrozma steal the light much earlier in the game.

I don't know why they hyped up Lillie and especially Hau's "new" characteristics. The latter's artwork is completely misleading.
i think actually 'ultra charging' the story would've done wonders for the game. just literally doing anything to make USUM seem more like a fresh experience through Alola would've redeemed the game in most people's eyes, i think.

kinda as it was said in the other thread, i feel as if Game Freak just didn't wholly commit to, well, anything in USUM. they make some story changes, but the vast majority of the story is the same or same-ish (for better and for worse too). they add some new areas, but then a whole bunch of areas in Alola are still neglected let alone most of the areas they added are really shallow to begin with. and then they add some new content and post-game stuff but-- not that i really care-- then a lot of it is still based in the usual catch-a-thon rather than actual lasting content.

Rotomdex. Will not. Shut up.

Yeah I know my pokemon need healing why do you think I'm going to the pokemon center? Give me a minute I'm not wasting a potion when the center is literally right there. I don't need hints I didn't ask for. Ugh why do you look sad again. UGH. Also you've asked to call me Roto-L twice now. Pick a different nickname or let me give myself one.

Cut dialogues popping up by like 70% and it'd be tolerable.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom