• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just here to say that Gen 8 is very very likely to come out in 2018, if not early 2019.
But summer 2018 may be a bit farfetch'd.

The Chinese translation for Gen 8's story script seems finished.
It also seems that they have finished naming new Pokemon (in Chinese).

That, or release a newer and cheaper model, like they did with the 2DS. Switch Mini, perhaps. A handheld optimized Switch. That's what I'm hoping for. Heck, release it within the month or two before Pokemon and it's great. Maybe even release a Switch Mini + Pokemon bundle.
Pokemon bundle seems highly likely, together with Pokemon themed Switch, I think.
That's exactly why I haven't bought myself a Switch yet.

If it was just last E3 that they even announced starting work on it, and they know they're developing for a console (or portable-with-console-ability if you will), 2018 at all seems just a little farfetch'd for me.

Just here to say that Gen 8 is very very likely to come out in 2018, if not early 2019.

Pokemon bundle seems highly likely, together with Pokemon themed Switch, I think.
Source on first part?

@lavandula

Do those sources have a proven track record? Just wondering. Anyway, I am not surprised:

Unown Seer said:
I'm wondering if the fact that USUM have only added one mythical implies that 2018 is a very serious possibility for the Switch debut. The last two generations had enough mythicals for their entire run, even with Mega Mewtwo Y and Magearna sharing the spotlight in 2013 and 2016, respectively.
That and the anime's pacing for the past 20 episodes has been really rapid.

As for how a 2-year development cycle for a console is even possible...

The point is that they did start this year and yet are considering a 2018 release. So maybe, just maybe, people shouldn't be taking anything for granted.

Remakes would be too underwhelming, though. Sequels are another story, especially if new Pokemon are involved (they have always been a bigger factor than new regions).

if they don't create something new and game changing similar to z-moves, megas, new fairy type in the past, then they only need to create a new regions for future games, could use most data from old games now to do it.
Then its easy to do faster even in 3D... Kalos, Hoen and Alola they needed to test that first.

Creating new pokemon, some new moves and some new abilities isnt now that bad with such amount of created ones in the past. Make changes to some old moves and old abilities, especially those with problems or lack of in-battle effects. Would rather that then too much overfocus on the ingame envoirement.

maybe they reallly worked on more games at once than we thought, maybe thats why they only try to put together what pokemon to put into what game to make it have a bigger in-game sense , or they "hear and see" fan wishesh on the internet more and now have more to do then ever before?

Would rather that then too much overfocus on the ingame envoirement.

(Assuming you use "ingame environment" to mean gameplay, since that's the impression I got. Please inform me if you mean otherwise). No. Gameplay experience should be foremost. I will pay for playing the game and not for the new abilities and moves. Yes, they are a factor, but they shouldn’t take priority over the gameplay, and replay experience.

I’ve got showdown if all GameFreak's going to offer is new Pokemon, moves and abilities with little focus on other features and gameplay.
This shouldn’t be taken to mean that I oppose the addition of new Pokemon and abilities, but I'd rather see great gameplay first, even if it means getting a revisiting-a-region game. I want to see GameFreak incorporate Switch's features in their games first and foremost. Make the jump to the new system pronounced.

Last edited:
I wish we could get story leak... man, I just hate waiting for that, I want know at this very moment if the game is worth of my moneys [I bought only X and I regret it, 3ds era is a mess, the most lazy games in existence of this franchise]

edit; I mean I want full leak to know if the game is good

edit; if game freak is reading this then tell them to f... off from the starters and make them competitive good overall like they did with primarina, why decidueye and el tigre are worse...

Last edited:

Does the source say anything about side activities similar to Pokémon Contests or PokéStar studios? I feel that the lack of side activities like this have been bringing down the Pokémon games in the 3DS era, and I'd hate to see Game Freak scrap those types of side-content the way they did with the Battle Frontier.

Does the source mention that gen 8 have an larger dex of new pokemon? I'm really disappointed by the fact that there are still tiny amount of new pokemon in gen 6 and 7, I just really want to see an large dex as like Unova or Kanto for the first time in many years composing of completely new pokemon, rather than seeing boring Kanto pokemon again.

But since GF is lazy, I'm going to expect a small dex again. I just wish that they would step up their game up as like they did with Gen 5 and 4.

Does the source mention that gen 8 have an larger dex of new pokemon? I'm really disappointed by the fact that there are still tiny amount of new pokemon in gen 6 and 7, I just really want to see an large dex as like Unova or Kanto for the first time in many years composing of completely new pokemon, rather than seeing boring Kanto pokemon again.

But since GF is lazy, I'm going to expect a small dex again. I just wish that they would step up their game up as like they did with Gen 5 and 4.

Um......It's not about them being lazy that the number of new Pokemon have been smaller than in the past. They've made it clear that the reason is that the number of Pokemon as a whole is getting pretty big. By them introducing less in past gens that has slowed the growth a tiny bit. Otherwise we'd likely be in the thousands already. It's not lack of trying, its strategic. Maybe don't call them lazy just because you want more Pokemon and they're not giving them to you?

Um......It's not about them being lazy that the number of new Pokemon have been smaller than in the past. They've made it clear that the reason is that the number of Pokemon as a whole is getting pretty big. By them introducing less in past gens that has slowed the growth a tiny bit. Otherwise we'd likely be in the thousands already. It's not lack of trying, its strategic. Maybe don't call them lazy just because you want more Pokemon and they're not giving them to you?

To add onto this: I think GameFreak are trying to "compensate" with designs which don’t add Dev numbers, like Mega Evolution and Regional Variants. I like this direction: less but quality designs+the new regional thing (hopefully they limit it to just Megas and Regional forms, I'm not sure if I can handle a brand new mechanic every generation).

To add onto this: I think GameFreak are trying to "compensate" with designs which don’t add Dev numbers, like Mega Evolution and Regional Variants. I like this direction: less but quality designs+the new regional thing (hopefully they limit it to just Megas and Regional forms, I'm not sure if I can handle a brand new mechanic every generation).

Exactly. If you swap out the megas in gen 6 and the regional forms in gen 7 you get about the same number of "new" Pokemon as you would have any other region more or less. I for one would rather them focus on better designed Pokemon and and a better story than them making Pokemon for the sake of making them. But that's just me

I'm aware of that phrase that was made by GF themselves. But that phrase does not make a excuse for their own laziness. I actually do believe that they're putting in far less effort than what they used to do, hence the low amount of pokemon than before. It's quite strange that they went for a low amount of new pokemon after the large dex that was gen 5. It could be the rough transition to 3D, but I have no clue.

Have you ever compared the amount of new content that was found in gen 6 and 7? It's quite few compared to the massive amount of content that was found in gen 3, 4 and 5. Additionally, the gen 6 was pretty notorious for it's unfinished content and rushed story, since Zygarde and Z guy didn't get expanded on along with confusing and short story with almost no post game content and easy as hell gameplay. SM had it's fair share of similar stuff that happened, with the unfinished walking cycles for nearly all pokemon. You can also tell that they have put far less effort into it from noticing the simple differences to the earlier gens, most trainers have a smaller amount of pokemon than before and were much easier to defeat. The crappy remake that was called Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire was the worst remake that I've ever seen which featured removal of features, much worse than the amazing HG and SS remakes which were genuinely fun and showed lots of effort into it with the features that changed the game thoroughly. But maybe it's by the fact that they're trying to make it easier for children who only play phone games.

I don't know how much monsters Digimon has, but it's around 1200 monsters in total in games, maybe more if they count exclusive monsters from TV and other media and yet the creators haven't complained the amount of digimon are there as far I'm aware of. If Digimon can handle that there are 1200+ monsters without any problems, then Pokemon can handle that much. It all just needs some better organization which would make knowing each pokemon far easier. Or maybe a total reboot with the pokemon franchise would help to fix up with the number problem that they're having. I don't know how the hell does Game Freak does with the organization of their own creations.

They really need to explain all that weird crap going on with gen 6 and 7, rather than trying to hide it away from people who are confused by the odd choices that were made. I'm calling them lazy, because that they aren't being clear enough with their messages and need to be much more transparent as like much more recent developers are. I would understand them, if only they explained why it has happened with the development of the games, rather than short statements that make things worse.

The only thing that I really like that is coming from the limited dex, is that the introduction of regional forms that actually make them feel like new pokemon, which fills up my expectations of new pokemon by some point. Unfortunately they didn't use it to most of old pokemon which kinda shows their "laziness", there's much more you can actually do with the older pokemon in new environments.

Part of my reason why I want to have the same amount of pokemon as like gen 5 or 1, is because having a larger amount of new pokemon designs can really make the whole region feel more exciting and alive, as there's something worthy to discover new as part of the series' main goal. Having old pokemon in, invalidates the goal as you are aren't surprised or excited of seeing an old pokemon in a new region.

Last edited:
got the aesthetic right
yes I know, but would you rather want more new pokemon or more aesthetic? think of that. If they want that too, better would be to hire more people and plan it in advance.

Ok. change of subject:

will the next legendary be dark/fairy?
We got now 3 psychic legendaries, what typing could be next?
ghost/bug?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom