• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should regional variants become a series mainstay?

Should’ve regional variants be a mainstay of the series from now on?

• Yes

Votes: 106 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 15 11.0%

• Total voters
It depends upon the execution, really. It's a great idea, putting a spin on old Pokemon, but I don't want just Gen 1 Pokemon getting them. Plenty of other Pokemon from other generations could use it, or Pokemon that have the capacity to have more explored about their lore, a bit like Charizard getting two mega evolutions.

I would also like to see a regional variant of Pokemon with mega evolutions as well. Variant Mega Pinsir, or Variant Mega Abomasnow, etc.

And as someone who does collect all of the forms, I don't understand why people who do that wouldn't enjoy having lots more forms to collect. Isn't that the fun of it?
As someone who does try to collect all the forms, for now there is a little number, so it's OK. After a while, if it becomes mainstream, it'll get tiring. Just like completing the Pokedex
We've gotten new Pokemon each gen, but not many people are tired of the idea of Pokemon. It's not just the concept of regional variation, but the execution of it-with interesting designs, it can still be a good inclusion.
You can't really compare getting new regional variants with getting new Pokemon. Getting new Pokemon is a necessity in Pokemon, while regional variants aren't. Pokemon define Pokemon, regional variants don't. Obviously no one is going to get tired of Pokemon. Regional variants are just the same old Pokemon, but with a different appearance and typing. Once again, it's just repetitive, kinda like they're just revamping old Pokemon now, adding new designs and stats. It makes me think theyare lazy, no matter how good the design is sooner or later. That's probably a reason why there are no new megas this gen - besides the focus on Z-Moves, sooner or later we'll just get more and more megas, so much that it'll both be unfun to collect and, as I said before, a bit lazy as they're just revamping old Pokemon.

Also, look at how much Pokemon are being added now. Less than a hundred. Including megas and regional variants, it's over 100. Literally we'll lose getting more newer Pokemon and now having the ability of getting the same Pokemon, just a different form. Which do you prefer?

Also, I'm trying not to be mean/rude here, just expressing my opinion

As someone who does try to collect all the forms, for now there is a little number, so it's OK. After a while, if it becomes mainstream, it'll get tiring. Just like completing the Pokedex

But then you get into the issue of “Collecting the forms isn’t in any way required or even encouraged.” It is an entirely personal decision and undertaking, and there is no reward for achieving the goal. You don’t have to do it if at some point it becomes too daunting for you.

Personally, I enjoy the challenge, and would welcome lots of new forms. Completing my Living +Form Dex has been hard work, but it has also been a rewarding experience.

But then you get into the issue of “Collecting the forms isn’t in any way required or even encouraged.” It is an entirely personal decision and undertaking, and there is no reward for achieving the goal. You don’t have to do it if at some point it becomes too daunting for you.
yeah, but my point is that if you want to collect forms, it gets more frustrating as time goes on if regional variants become a mainstay. Less and less people would try to collect them, since it'll just be more frustrating than fun

You can't really compare getting new regional variants with getting new Pokemon. Getting new Pokemon is a necessity in Pokemon, while regional variants aren't.
It's not a necessity to have new Pokemon in games. Sister games, spinoff games, and remakes haven't introduced new Pokemon.
Obviously no one is going to get tired of Pokemon.
Surely you've heard of genwunners before?
. Regional variants are just the same old Pokemon, but with a different appearance and typing.
Yes, they're the same Pokemon, with a different concept, a different typing, different stats, different movepool, different abilities...
It makes me think theyare lazy, no matter how good the design is sooner or later.
If you think that someone's lazy regardless of the quality of their work, then that's an unfair assumption.
we'll just get more and more megas, so much that it'll both be unfun to collect
Megas aren't permanent, they can't really be collected.
Literally we'll lose getting more newer Pokemon and now having the ability of getting the same Pokemon, just a different form. Which do you prefer?
Tell me-if the idea of collecting more regional variations is so awful to you, why are you upset at the thought of having less new Pokemon? Both are more to collect.

It's not a necessity to have new Pokemon in games. Sister games, spinoff games, and remakes haven't introduced new Pokemon.
Core series. That's obviously what we are talking about
Surely you've heard of genwunners before?
They're a special case, and even they would (most likely) hate the new Alolan forms. Why would they support other regional variants then?
Yes, they're the same Pokemon, with a different concept, a different typing, different stats, different movepool, different abilities...
but still the same Pokemon in general. Same name, different adaptation, same Pokedex page.... literally the same thing with changes.
If you think that someone's lazy regardless of the quality of their work, then that's an unfair assumption.
You can tell that to the Genwunners who hated the lazy designs of Gen 5. I'm not saying they're lazy, I'm saying that there are so much other more newer things than regional variants they could do, especially after a few gens.
Megas aren't permanent, they can't really be collected.
Ok, I was thinking about collecting mega stones. But still kinda applies, more megas, the more possibilities of good competitive use, and the more hassle collecting them all if you want to use multiple different sets
Tell me-if the idea of collecting more regional variations is so awful to you, why are you upset at the thought of having less new Pokemon? Both are more to collect.
At least new Pokemon are actual new species with different names, as apposed to a Pokemon that has different abilities, types, etc. but literally is just the original Pokemon with a new sprite.

Core series. That's obviously what we are talking about
That's why I listed sister games, which are part of the core series.
They're a special case, and even they would (most likely) hate the new Alolan forms. Why would they support other regional variants then?
I didn't list genwunners as people who would support regional variants, I listed them as examples of how not even the concept of Pokemon is going to be constantly enjoyable for everyone.
but still the same Pokemon in general. Same name, different adaptation, same Pokedex page....
The Pokedex entries are also different between variations. This isn't hard to look up.
literally the same thing with changes.
...I never thought I'd have to say this, but there's no such thing as "the same thing with changes". If you change something, it becomes different.
I'm not saying they're lazy
But you did:
It makes me think theyare lazy
If your opinion changed between posts, that's completely fine. There's no shame in admitting a new opinion. But don't claim to have said something entirely different from a post you made.
Ok, I was thinking about collecting mega stones. But still kinda applies, more megas, the more possibilities of good competitive use, and the more hassle collecting them all if you want to use multiple different sets
It applies even less with Megas. As items, they don't take up the limited space in the PC, and since items are not transferable between generations, Game Freak can't require players to transfer them up to collect them. (as they had up to Gen 6) Besides, finding an item is hardly a 'hassle'.
And my question applies here, too-if you think having more choices with Megas is a bad thing, why do you hope for new Pokemon? Adding new Pokemon to a generation will also offer more choices for players, and require more effort for players to obtain them.
At least new Pokemon are actual new species with different names, as apposed to a Pokemon that has different abilities, types, etc. but literally is just the original Pokemon with a new sprite.
You avoided my question to restate a point you already made.

With the exception of the name, most of the Alolan forms are the same as new pokemon considering they have different types, designs, abilities and all. Regional forms are a good way to make sure there aren't excessive amounts of new pokemon too which considering the rate at which the series is going, will be soon over a thousand. If they have more regional variants or new pkmn, you're gonna catch them anyway, so I don't see how more regional variants will increase your difficulty at catching them all.

I like the regional variants. I don't quite get the argument about how it's lazy to redesign something and change its type. I've seen complaints for years about how people hate when they rehash the same thing in a new Pokémon. Look at... Butterfree, Beautifly, Mothim, Vivillon... they're all really the same thing. So would we rather have a bunch of new Pokémon that aren't anything new, or take old Pokémon and turn them into something new? The obvious answer is that it'd be best to stop rehashing AND reskinning, and actually add new 'mons that are new in both design and concept, but that's not how the world works. I just think regional variants are a good way to make something new out of something old.

Let's take exeggutor. They could have easily made a new Pokémon that resembles a tall coconut tree. But instead, they took something that already existed and gave it some new life.

In a similar vein, let's look at the opposite. Teddiursa and Cubchoo are both based on bears. This would be an example of an animal that would actually be considered a "regional variant." And yet, they chose to make a new Pokémon line for a polar bear, rather than reskin the brown bear we already had and adapt it to cold.

See what I'm saying here? They could do either thing and I feel like someone will be unhappy. I think the variants are actually quite brilliant, and they should have started this long ago. They should definitely utilize it more, but also create a good balance with new Pokémon as well.

Ok, rant over.

With the exception of the name, most of the Alolan forms are the same as new pokemon considering they have different types, designs, abilities and all.
I’m never going to be convinced that most of the Alolan form lines are truly new designs. They’re too close to the original to be superior to a completely new Pokémon of the same concept.

but that's not how the world works.
It can work that way if Gamefreak want it to. See: Talonflame and Vikavolt. They’re quite revolutionary compared to your average regional bird/bug.

I’m never going to be convinced that most of the Alolan form lines are truly new designs. They’re too close to the original to be superior to a completely new Pokémon of the same concept.
I didn't say they were superior to new pkmn. I said that from one perspective they are like them and thus it makes no difference ( If you want to collect them all ) whether you catch one ninetails and 1 new pokemon or 2 ninetails. In the end, same effort.

That's why I listed sister games, which are part of the core series.

I didn't list genwunners as people who would support regional variants, I listed them as examples of how not even the concept of Pokemon is going to be constantly enjoyable for everyone.

The Pokedex entries are also different between variations. This isn't hard to look up.

...I never thought I'd have to say this, but there's no such thing as "the same thing with changes". If you change something, it becomes different.

But you did:

If your opinion changed between posts, that's completely fine. There's no shame in admitting a new opinion. But don't claim to have said something entirely different from a post you made.

It applies even less with Megas. As items, they don't take up the limited space in the PC, and since items are not transferable between generations, Game Freak can't require players to transfer them up to collect them. (as they had up to Gen 6) Besides, finding an item is hardly a 'hassle'.
And my question applies here, too-if you think having more choices with Megas is a bad thing, why do you hope for new Pokemon? Adding new Pokemon to a generation will also offer more choices for players, and require more effort for players to obtain them.

You avoided my question to restate a point you already made.
Ok then, i guess final statements, this case has gone too long
Look, we can't change each other's opinions. Mine may seem invalid in your eyes but its my view on things. Just let this debate go

In all honesty, I'm tired of these debates going nowhere. That's why I want to end it.

this way some type combinations and abilities can be used more.
This will allow for more pokemon fun even if low amount of new pokemon.

fighting/ground,
fighting/rock,
ice/flying,
ground/flying

Last edited:
could you imagine steel/fairy Rapidash with a new kind of ability?
every one wants a flying/fairy pegasus, but what if that would be reserved for a totally new pokemon?

Back in early 2000's, when I first saw that some Pokémon that appear in Kanto also exist in other regions didn't make any sense to me, and ever since than I am not fan of the idea. If only the regional variant existed that way since the beginning. It would be like around 100 new Pokémon and 20 - 40 regional variant for each generation, and we are set.

but some species even in our world and times were noticed very late. take that into account.

Sure. I like them and find the concept neat. It gives a fresh take on familiar pokemon, although, like most things, it's a double-edged sword because some come out looking like literal memes. I'd still like to see different regional variants return in future games and even remakes.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom