• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should regional variants become a series mainstay?

Should’ve regional variants be a mainstay of the series from now on?

• Yes

Votes: 106 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 15 11.0%

• Total voters
They end up with bad designs. See: Alolan Persian. There are SO. many. Possibilities. But they went with a meme-Pokemon of all things.
And the Diglett line could end up lots better.
I think they admitted to intentionally making dugtrio a meme to reminisce rock stars of old times..

I dunno. I mean, the concept does sound kinda cool in its own way, but I never really liked the regional variants in favor of their regular forms. Personally, I had rather the concept be just a one generation thing, but seeing the popularity of the new forms, I wouldn't be surprised if this gimmick continued in the future generations as well.

I think it could be cool to see other regional variants of Pokemon, but seems like it'd be confusing and maybe difficult to implement in the long run. Not necessarily something I want to see for every region or generation.

If like them to stay but some of the fan ideas for regional variants seem unlikely and weird to me.

I think it could be cool to see other regional variants of Pokemon, but seems like it'd be confusing and maybe difficult to implement in the long run. Not necessarily something I want to see for every region or generation.
They could probably do it for region with vast climate differences. Like I don't see much difference between Johto, Kanto and Unova but Sinnoh is noticeably colder.

They could probably do it for region with vast climate differences. Like I don't see much difference between Johto, Kanto and Unova but Sinnoh is noticeably colder.
I thought Unova was also noticeably colder. It would be wierd if it wasn't since it's essentially Pokemon New York.

I think that there should be more regional variants. I want more non- Kanto variants. I think that this feature gives regions a sense of identity.

I think it should be an Alola feature.
Wasted potential as it could be expanded in Ultra sun and Ultra Moon.

Mega evolutions, cross evolutions and Z moves are much more interesting. I don't like old pokemon with just new designs instead of new lines or new evolutions.

If they can handle megas, evolutions, z moves and also forms in one genetions it's ok, but i doubt this will happen .

Well, I mean, alola forms that are already in existance can't go away. But the question is what will happen to them in future generations if it was a one time thing. Will there be special ways to get Alolan forms? Or will they be forgotten entirely. Although, too be honest, it was a great exploration into how environment can cause Pokemon to change the way it causes animals to change in real life.

Nope. They shouldn't. It would make no sense if alolan sandshrews suddenly start appearing in Mt. Moon in the gen 10 remakes of frlg.

They said special ways, not commonly encounterable. (And, lord, I hope we're not getting Gen 1 remakes in Gen 10...) There are better ways to include them-a tourist NPC could trade them to the player, for example.

It makes sense from a biological evolutionary perspective but at the same time, it seems like it's a way to make new pokémon without really making new pokémon.

what if our not alolan native one has a regional variant in the region its coming from?

what if yungoos line would have a other regional variant from the original region it comes from?
taking that its based on a moongoose, maybe part steel? most snakes are poison or grass.
norma/steel?

Small Asian mongoose - Wikipedia

Last edited:
what if our not alolan native one has a regional variant in the region its coming from?

what if yungoos line would have a other regional variant from the original region it comes from?
taking that its based on a moongoose, maybe part steel? most snakes are poison or grass.
norma/steel?

Small Asian mongoose - Wikipedia

I would much rather have 5 Raichu/Pikachu regional variants than 5 Pika Clones. Mimikyu is the obvious exception, but that's a ghost with a sheet so it's a clear enough distinction.

It wouldn't even be hard. Just say every culture was so in love with Pikachu that they were naturally brought worldwide.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom