• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM053: Hurry! The Great Lusamine Rescue Operation!!

My main concern is what Kiawe called Marowak's moves- god I hope he did.

So the Pokemon question was kind of asking who the first person out of Ash and co. to battle, and it was Kiawe.

No idea and I'm so happy that Burnet treated Braviary. She's so nice.

And I really love the voice of her. Where she share the same voice with Chibita from Osomatsu-san.

Another favourite series of mine. That I had been watching every Monday.

The "Rescue Lusamine" arc still continues to be disappointing.

This episode was boring and only amounted to:

Lusamine:: "Leave me alone!"
Kids: "No!"

If you're going to spend an entire episode as a dedicated chase sequence, then at least make it exhilarating. It's at times like these that I wish Sun & Moon were still headed under the writers/directors of XY(Z). They really knew how to choreograph tense battle and world-building scenes like this should be. I couldn't take the battles seriously here because of all the stock footage, blurry backgrounds, sluggish animation and the fact that Ash's non-battling friends suddenly rival Lusamine's doped up Totem aura levels of power. Which by the way, could it kill Vulpix (!), Togedemaru, Charjabug, Popplio and Steenee to learn some new moves?

I also had an issue that Ash is being pegged as the one to rescue Lusamine. You know, the mother of Lillie and Gladion? The reasons why we are here in Ultra Space? They easily could have had Lillie be the one to ride on Solgaleo and leave Ash back with Clefable, in that last shot. Or even one better-have Ash stay behind with Gladion to fight the OP Absol, have Lillie deal with Clefable and have her continue to go after her mother. It just looks very poor in execution and design. It's also a huge disservice to Lillie's development and inspiration from the Sun & Moon games since she was right up there with the PC in confronting her mother.

Lastly, this would have been an optimal time for the kids to discuss the aspects of the Ultra Deep Sea. In the games, Lillie makes a comment on how difficult it is to breathe there. Yet we get no shots of difficult breathing, or any substantial exploring, commentary, or general issues of being transported to another world. The kids barely interact with the native Nihilego and they find Lusamine immediately.

I would say the only thing I genuinely liked about this episode was that Gladion's Umbreon was revealed to be caught in a Heal Ball (he really doesn't like the average Ball, huh). Also, I thought Kiawe's Marowak knew Flame Wheel this whole time, rather than Flare Blitz.

The "Rescue Lusamine" arc still continues to be disappointing.

This episode was boring and only amounted to:

Lusamine:: "Leave me alone!"
Kids: "No!"

If you're going to spend an entire episode as a dedicated chase sequence, then at least make it exhilarating. It's at times like these that I wish Sun & Moon were still headed under the writers/directors of XY(Z). They really knew how to choreograph tense battle and world-building scenes like this should be. I couldn't take the battles seriously here because of all the stock footage, blurry backgrounds, sluggish animation and the fact that Ash's non-battling friends suddenly rival Lusamine's doped up Totem aura levels of power. Which by the way, could it kill Vulpix (!), Togedemaru, Charjabug, Popplio and Steenee to learn some new moves?

I also had an issue that Ash is being pegged as the one to rescue Lusamine. You know, the mother of Lillie and Gladion? The reasons why we are here in Ultra Space? They easily could have had Lillie be the one to ride on Solgaleo and leave Ash back with Clefable, in that last shot. Or even one better-have Ash stay behind with Gladion to fight the OP Absol, have Lillie deal with Clefable and have her continue to go after her mother. It just looks very poor in execution and design. It's also a huge disservice to Lillie's development and inspiration from the Sun & Moon games since she was right up there with the PC in confronting her mother.

Lastly, this would have been an optimal time for the kids to discuss the aspects of the Ultra Deep Sea. In the games, Lillie makes a comment on how difficult it is to breathe there. Yet we get no shots of difficult breathing, or any substantial exploring, commentary, or general issues of being transported to another world. The kids barely interact with the native Nihilego and they find Lusamine immediately.

I would say the only thing I genuinely liked about this episode was that Gladion's Umbreon was revealed to be caught in a Heal Ball (he really doesn't like the average Ball, huh). Also, I thought Kiawe's Marowak knew Flame Wheel this whole time, rather than Flare Blitz.
The problem in this episode was indeed lack of new moves which made it more pathetic. It's not the writers' fault, they just don't know where to begin with. Cheer up, the final one of this rescue arc will be good. The results are different.

I have mixed feelings on this episode. On one hand I liked how there was no pointless stuff minus the short unnecessary scenes of TR and Kukui + Burnett. And I loved the moment with Lillie and Clefable. The flashbacks of her as a child throughout Clefable's life with the Poke Doll were super cute. But at the exact same time, I just didn't like how Lillie was left to deal with Clefable while Ash went after Lusamine. That's Lillie mother and this is her mission. Ash should have been the one to battle Clefable while Lille and Nebby followed Lusamine. But that was the only issue I had. I did think it was funny how this is the first time we've seen Kiawe battle with Marowak since it was captured.

Secondary note, I do like how all of Gladion's Pokemon are in non-standard Poke Balls. A Heal Ball is perfect for Umbreon considering it was in an injured state when Gladion found it. :) 8/10 for this episode.

So like I saw the subs with the episode and I'll admit I'm a bit confused as to Nihilego controlling Lusamine by drawing on her desire to meet UBs as a child and hence making her act like a child and running away from them. Guess this is the kids version of what she really does I suppose. Well at least we know she shouldn't fall into a coma as Ash will save her before that happens. Something that irks me is Lillie's speech to Clefable, firstly she reminisces about how they played together with the doll and it shows a fully evolved Clefable and Lillie calling her the big sister to the doll. Now in the first episode where Lusamine met Lillie, Lillie was holding a grudge with Lusamine for evolving Clefary but yet she was okay to play with it's new evolved form. Now I'm not sure if it's just me but if I am angry as a kid with something being different I'd normally not be happy around said thing. Then in the preview for next week it's Lillie telling Clefable how she was angry with Lusamine for evolving it but she now understands how there is something special about each form that it had. If you're now realizing this after the love speech, how were you happy playing with it as a kid? It just doesn't make sense to me...

Apart from that, happy for Kiawe getting some good battling in, Rowlet is still an egg, not surprised and Lycanroc used a couple moves and looked decently strong. Lusamine has a awesome set of Pokemon though. League challenging team tbh.

This episode would've been much more touching had they shown us the relationship between Lusamine's Pokémon and family throughout the last year instead of just throwaway comments like "yeah, Absol is my Umbreon's friend".

I have mixed feelings on this episode. On one hand I liked how there was no pointless stuff minus the short unnecessary scenes of TR and Kukui + Burnett. And I loved the moment with Lillie and Clefable. The flashbacks of her as a child throughout Clefable's life with the Poke Doll were super cute. But at the exact same time, I just didn't like how Lillie was left to deal with Clefable while Ash went after Lusamine. That's Lillie mother and this is her mission. Ash should have been the one to battle Clefable while Lille and Nebby followed Lusamine. But that was the only issue I had. I did think it was funny how this is the first time we've seen Kiawe battle with Marowak since it was captured.

Secondary note, I do like how all of Gladion's Pokemon are in non-standard Poke Balls. A Heal Ball is perfect for Umbreon considering it was in an injured state when Gladion found it. :) 8/10 for this episode.
This time, I have to agree with you. This was very touching when it comes to Lillie to free a brainwashed Pokemon.

So like I saw the subs with the episode and I'll admit I'm a bit confused as to Nihilego controlling Lusamine by drawing on her desire to meet UBs as a child and hence making her act like a child and running away from them. Guess this is the kids version of what she really does I suppose. Well at least we know she shouldn't fall into a coma as Ash will save her before that happens. Something that irks me is Lillie's speech to Clefable, firstly she reminisces about how they played together with the doll and it shows a fully evolved Clefable and Lillie calling her the big sister to the doll. Now in the first episode where Lusamine met Lillie, Lillie was holding a grudge with Lusamine for evolving Clefary but yet she was okay to play with it's new evolved form. Now I'm not sure if it's just me but if I am angry as a kid with something being different I'd normally not be happy around said thing. Then in the preview for next week it's Lillie telling Clefable how she was angry with Lusamine for evolving it but she now understands how there is something special about each form that it had. If you're now realizing this after the love speech, how were you happy playing with it as a kid? It just doesn't make sense to me...

Apart from that, happy for Kiawe getting some good battling in, Rowlet is still an egg, not surprised and Lycanroc used a couple moves and looked decently strong. Lusamine has a awesome set of Pokemon though. League challenging team tbh.

Drawing out those negative traits aka cranking it up (Her child like behavior and her initial desire to meet an Ultra Beast being two juicy ones we saw BEFORE she got infected) redirecting priority to the Ultra Beast above everything else (Sub's has her shouting to her kids the words "I hate you") and lowering the moral center. (She nearly killed Lillie a few times in this episode in her temper tantrum. One from a stone edge, the other in sicing the Clefable at her own daughter "Which proceeded to aim at Lillie") is exactly what the venom does to you mentally.

Last edited:
LEAVE LUSAMINE ALONE!!!
What's their reasoning for turning Lusamine into "mother of year"? Apparently, even her "poisoned" form is not evil. It's not even Lusamine at this point.

LEAVE LUSAMINE ALONE!!!
What's their reasoning for turning Lusamine into "mother of year"? Apparently, even her "poisoned" form is not evil. It's not even Lusamine at this point.
She is actually acting like a child playing a toy she wanted the most, but now that Ash and the other nuisance her to try get her out of this UB, she keeps running away and saying "I hate you! leave me alone!" like they want to steal her toy. "She's just a kid" Iris would say during times like this.

She is actually acting like a child playing a toy she wanted the most, but now that Ash and the other nuisance her to try get her out of this UB, she keeps running away and saying "I hate you! leave me alone!" like they want to steal her toy. "She's just a kid" Iris would say during times like this.
She's being brainwashed the Nihelego toxins. She saved her children from this beast when she realized what it was responsible for and understood that is was dangerous, not because she wanted to play with it.

She's being brainwashed the Nihelego toxins. She saved her children from this beast when she realized what it was responsible for and understood that is was dangerous, not because she wanted to play with it.
Oh, right. I didn't know that. Now that Lusamine's Clefable is out of mind-control, is it going to be braiwashed again? Who knows? But I'm sure there is 100% she will be put on a coma once they save her, or maybe not. If they do rescue her, they will have to deal with her memories of meeting that UB. I could improvise to call for Faba to use his Hypno to erase her memories so she can return back to normal. Or using a Beheeyem for this case. It's entry says that it can remove everyone's memories once they encounter it.

Even in the most serious and intense moment, Rowlet still manages to have people shake their heads lolol.

If Rowlet evolves, I'll miss its ditzyness and deer in the headlights look. Lol oh man good timing (most of the time) for its comic relief.

Last edited:
Everything involving Lana, Mallow and Sophocles was disappointing
Here we were, being set up for them to keep Lusamine's pokemon busy and... suddenly hula
Come on - they're as bad as Rowlet getting distracted by Sweet Scent

At least Kiawe and Gladion were in top form, as usual

Everything involving Lana, Mallow and Sophocles was disappointing
Here we were, being set up for them to keep Lusamine's pokemon busy and... suddenly hula
Come on - they're as bad as Rowlet getting distracted by Sweet Scent

At least Kiawe and Gladion were in top form, as usual
Cos Lana, Mallow and Sophocles are weaklings that have no battle experience at all. If they had to train more like Kiawe and Gladion did, they would be able to deal with these three mons. They need more battle experience!

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom