• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changing code is not comparable to changing the entire genre of the games.

Now hold your horses partner, I feel as though you're exaggerating a bit there. Not trying to be a smart-aleck, but Pokemon would still be an RPG, even if the battle system was altered in any way, which I know has been your main talking point for quite a while now. While I did (literally) like your previous comment, this one takes it a bit too far.

I know you are worried about the battle system but I can guarantee you they won't make any drastic changes, they won't kill the competitive aspect of the game

I'm very nervous about this "potential" new battle system but I will have to give Gamefreak some benefit of the doubt. For one if true we gotta see how it looks before making a decision on if its "potentially" a good or bad decision. 2nd again if true I severely doubt Gamefreak will exactly copy DW's ENTIRE mechanic as its never stated from this leak it'll be 100% DW's gameplay but something similar to that or Pokken in the mechanics. Plus Gamefreak love to spin their own thread when it comes to crafting ways to make the games new while still keeping it familiar and not too alienating to fans. So best situation to do under these circumstances is to wait for the gameplay to see radical changes or not.

But it’s also worth noting the scale factor - the shift from GSC to RS was drastic, and that was just them moving onto the next handheld. Moving to a console hybrid is a bigger deal, and could warrant bigger changes.

That being said, at the risk of repeating what others have already covered... the sense I’m getting is that it would still be a turn-based RPG, and games within that genre are not all exactly the same. They wouldn’t be “changing the entire genre of the games.”

I'm hoping we do get a little teaser in a Direct this month. It doesn't have to even be that big to get me excited. I've be been seeing several rumors flying around that the Direct is on the 11th of this month.

But it’s also worth noting the scale factor - the shift from GSC to RS was drastic, and that was just them moving onto the next handheld. Moving to a console hybrid is a bigger deal, and could warrant bigger changes.

That being said, at the risk of repeating what others have already covered... the sense I’m getting is that it would still be a turn-based RPG, and games within that genre are not all exactly the same. They wouldn’t be “changing the entire genre of the games.”
Just because the system is more powerful doesn't mean that they have to change almost everything.

I know you are worried about the battle system but I can guarantee you they won't make any drastic changes, they won't kill the competitive aspect of the game

However, if the battle system will be made more simplistic, then that doesn't mean that the competitive aspect will be killed. It'll only be less strategic. DX isn't that strategic yet it's one of the most competitive Pokémon games.

However, if the battle system will be made more simplistic, then that doesn't mean that the competitive aspect will be killed. It'll only be less strategic. DX isn't that strategic yet it's one of the most competitive Pokémon games.
You're comparing a fighting game to an RPG. They are nothing alike.

Riley you continuosly copy-paste the same thing over and over. We understand your position. BUT remember that the competitive scene, according to Merrick (that knows these things) is less than a 1% of the entire pokemon core game buyers. So, if they change the system some of the competitive players will still continue, others will stop. But even if they lose the entire 1% and gain a more % of new players (maybe the go fans, or general audience) and a new competitive scenario will born, it will be ok anyway

Riley you continuosly copy-paste the same thing over and over. We understand your position. BUT remember that the competitive scene, according to Merrick (that knows these things) is less than a 1% of the entire pokemon core game buyers. So, if they change the system some of the competitive players will still continue, others will stop. But even if they lose the entire 1% and gain a more % of new players (maybe the go fans, or general audience) and a new competitive scenario will born, it will be ok anyway
Those players might not even care for competitive play.

a new competitive scene should be born, as always and as for any new game. I don't see the problem. Also, not all the competitive players will quit, some of them yes, some not

sorry but I don't agree, also i don't see the problem. it's ok to try something new. The stasis is boring sometime.

sorry but I don't agree, also i don't see the problem. it's ok to try something new. The stasis is boring sometime.
I would wait to play the game and then judge it but in this case I do think it'll be better if instead of completely revamping the main series they make a spin-off or start another series. I think people are really underestimating the capabilities of changes which can be made without changing the core. Of course that stems from GF themselves shying away from more concrete changes but I believe they can still come up with something really good for the next game.

the current battle system has some evident limit, in the years they tried to modify it, but not all can be modified. It is based on an old concept of game and an old engine, it is a cool battle system, of course, but it is also really complicate. This means that not all the players can enter the competitive scene, also because is based on a wrong and slow breeding mechanics. also, hacking is a problem as everyone now need to hack if they want to stay competitive (or...have all day freetime). So, if in their minds there is the idea to open to a new audience and create a new competitive scene with a new battle system...well, this is the best way to do it: modify it. Simplify is not always a bad idea, you know? You don't like it? it's ok, you can stop play the game. one people stop, 2 new players may start.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have like 15 friends that are playing go from the start and played the original GBA games, from red. But they quit the core series. Now, when they heard the kanto remake and new BS rumor they are excited and they will buy the switch game if true. You see? General players, nostalgic players and so on, a wider audience. Core players like me? simple: if i will like the game i'll buy it, if i won't i won't buy it. Super simple, don't need to make a drama on it. We will see if the "new BS" will be true, and if will be cooler. Time will tell. No need to write sentences like "they will lose everything" etc. Openmind, then we decide if it is ok or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom