• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I definitely see another direct(a big one this time) soon this month(there's a reason this direct was called "Mini") the fact that there was no big stuff like Fire Emblem 16, Yoshi Switch, Project Octopath and other big 3rd parties plus nothing but mostly ports, some game updates and few new games makes it obvious. So Pokemon Switch still has a decent shot wouldn't hold my breath though.

Last edited:
In all honesty the analyst may only get one of them right. It could be the kind of thing where they have sources saying stuff might happen, but in the end only one ends up being the main focus. Also while it's not technically a rumor or anything, it's worth at least noting that there's apparently a theory floating around that Nintendo may be wanting to do something special for the one year anniversary of the Switch launch. I could see a direct coming in March featuring at least one of the 3 things the analyst predicted. Any of the 3 would be a big enough thing for them to focus on as something special. That said I'm hoping Pokemon tho hahaha

Hmm, I certainly hope they don't limit Pokemon's appearances on Nintendo Directs to Pokken. It would be a huge missed opportunity for both Pokemon and the Switch's other games to not reveal them all in a single ND.

Things have gotten interesting. Looking forward to whatever is revealed next :0 don't think I can keep up with all the stuff going around lol.

Isn't Crystal coming out this month?

Yeah, it releases next week. But since the last trailer for it was a few weeks ago and it wasn't mentioned in the Direct mini, I'd guess they'll go ahead and remind people to buy it whenever they do their Pokemon Direct.

March does sound about right, especially if the release of late 2018 does happen. If you recall, XY was revealed in a January Pokemon Direct and SM were revealed in a February Pokemon Direct, so getting a reveal in the 1st quarter of the year is possible. Heck, it may be even possible that Masuda's recent visit to TPC was probably them filming the Pokemon Direct and getting it ready for an upcoming release... not this month, but you know sometime later.

So a couple of things that I'm seeing in the speculation that we are all doing here today. One, because of the unique place that Pokémon has in the Nintendo pantheon, it normally gets it's own spotlight for big announcements. Side note. Don't kid yourself, a Pokémon core release on a console instead of a handheld is the biggest of news. It WILL get it's own direct and they will make it about as long as the Direct Mini was on the 11th. Looking back, the X and Y launch announcement on the 3DS was 11 minutes long.

Secondly, this as a Switch Direct Mini, so there is no reason for them to mention Crystal.

Also if anyone is not aware yet, another empty slot appeared in the nintendo japan's site direct list, that confirms that a new direct is coming within the next 2 weeks.

Wait another as in additionally to the one that disappeared before the mini direct or is that the one you're talking about?

SM were announced at the end of February (basically March) and came out in November. If the games are scheduled to come out in December the reveal can be as late as the end of March.

I'm confident of a 2018 release, the anime supports that as well as Game Freak/Nintendos actual comments.

I'm sticking with 2018 unless we get to the March CoroCoro and Zeraora still hasn't been revealed (I agree they're unlikely to announce Gen 8 before Zeraora) then we'd likely be looking at an early 2019 release.

Haven't seen a shred of evidence to suggest late 2019

I'm confident of a 2018 release, the anime supports that as well as Game Freak/Nintendos actual comments.

I don't watch the anime so im a bit lost, in what way does it support a 2018 release?

I don't watch the anime so im a bit lost, in what way does it support a 2018 release?

A few months ago they rapidly increased the pacing of the anime, they rushed through the Nebby/Lusamine story arc at breakneck pace and Ash only has 2 grand trials left. The standard water/fire/grass trials were done back to back.

There simply isn't enough content left to fill ~ 100 episodes until October/November 2019. Some argue they could introduce a filler arc like the decolore Islands in Gen 5 but why would they rush through the main story and then add in a filler arc?

Similarly they will almost certainly be giving out Zeraora in July 2018, what would they give out in July 2019 if there was no new game at this time?

A few months ago they rapidly increased the pacing of the anime, they rushed through the Nebby/Lusamine story arc at breakneck pace and Ash only has 2 grand trials left. The standard water/fire/grass trials were done back to back.

There simply isn't enough content left to fill ~ 100 episodes until October/November 2019. Some argue they could introduce a filler arc like the decolore Islands in Gen 5 but why would they rush through the main story and then add in a filler arc?

Similarly they will almost certainly be giving out Zeraora in July 2018, what would they give out in July 2019 if there was no new game at this time?
oh thanks, that's interesting

I could definitely see a March reveal for A release in December. It'd follow their usual release schedule timeline. I can't see us making it to fall of 2019. I'd say the latest we can expect the game to come out is summer of 2019 and even that's stretching it.. I'd say if not this year them it's early 2019

The counter argument is this:

Ash needs 2 more captures (His last capture was Litten in April 2017, thus 10 months ago. If a 2018 release as in the cards, they would have given Ash his fifth capture in September/October 2017, so they could properly showcase it. Then his last capture would have been a thing in February/March 2018. They hinted a league, so Ash is gonna have a team of six. But the thing is: If a game comes out in December 2018, the league is gonna start late September/Early October since it usually takes a month and a half, which means Ash only has 7 months left to complete 2/3 trials, 2 Kahuna battles and to catch 2 Pokemon, of which the last one usually is caught 6 months before the league (Which means he has to get 2 captures in February/Early March and we all know that isn't happening). Litten fully evolving is also highly likely, meaning they have to cramp in his evolution (And since Dartrix/Decidueye haven't debuted yet, that means we must not disregard the possibility of Rowlet evolving, thus that makes 5 team changes in 8 months). And Vikavolt also hasn't debuted yet, so Charjabug can evolve (Which means that is a week less for Ash). And the same can be said about Popplio evolving into Primarina (Hasn't debuted yet) and Steene evolving into Tsareena (Hasn't debuted yet). And Lillies character arc is far from complete, which means she gets episodes, so in total Ash maybe has 4 months left for 2 captures and Litten fully evolving (And the possibility of Rowelt going fully).

His first Kahuna Battle was in January 2017, with his second one being in August 2017 (8 months later). With the UB arc starting in February, its very likely Ash won't have time to do trials and Kahuna battles because he is too occupied inn dealing with the UB (And most, if not all, are likely getting their own debut episode (Nihilego already debuted, so we have nine left and Necrozma makes). So doing the math, they cannot affort Fillers and Breaks (And we already lost January and the first week of February because of that), nor can they affort to give development episodes to the companions, since that takes time away from Ash.

So no.. the anime doesn't support a 2018/early 2019 release at all.

The counter argument is this:

Ash needs 2 more captures (His last capture was Litten in April 2017, thus 10 months ago. If a 2018 release as in the cards, they would have given Ash his fifth capture in September/October 2017, so they could properly showcase it. Then his last capture would have been a thing in February/March 2018. They hinted a league, so Ash is gonna have a team of six. But the thing is: If a game comes out in December 2018, the league is gonna start late September/Early October since it usually takes a month and a half, which means Ash only has 7 months left to complete 2/3 trials, 2 Kahuna battles and to catch 2 Pokemon, of which the last one usually is caught 6 months before the league (Which means he has to get 2 captures in February/Early March and we all know that isn't happening). Litten fully evolving is also highly likely, meaning they have to cramp in his evolution (And since Dartrix/Decidueye haven't debuted yet, that means we must not disregard the possibility of Rowlet evolving, thus that makes 5 team changes in 8 months). And Vikavolt also hasn't debuted yet, so Charjabug can evolve (Which means that is a week less for Ash). And the same can be said about Popplio evolving into Primarina (Hasn't debuted yet) and Steene evolving into Tsareena (Hasn't debuted yet). And Lillies character arc is far from complete, which means she gets episodes, so in total Ash maybe has 4 months left for 2 captures and Litten fully evolving (And the possibility of Rowelt going fully).

His first Kahuna Battle was in January 2017, with his second one being in August 2017 (8 months later). With the UB arc starting in February, its very likely Ash won't have time to do trials and Kahuna battles because he is too occupied inn dealing with the UB (And most, if not all, are likely getting their own debut episode (Nihilego already debuted, so we have nine left and Necrozma makes). So doing the math, they cannot affort Fillers and Breaks (And we already lost January and the first week of February because of that), nor can they affort to give development episodes to the companions, since that takes time away from Ash.

So no.. the anime doesn't support a 2018/early 2019 release at all.

There's a lot I find incorrect with what you said. For example just because a Pokemon hasn't debuted yet doesn't mean it's going to be a main characters stage 1 Pokemon evolving all the way up to stage 3.

But most importantly, you've provided us with the most stretched and lengthy timetable possible for the anime and it's still nowhere near enough to last until October/November 2019.

And once again, they need a mythical to give away in July 2019.

There's a lot I find incorrect with what you said. For example just because a Pokemon hasn't debuted yet doesn't mean it's going to be a main characters stage 1 Pokemon evolving all the way up to stage 3.

But most importantly, you've provided us with the most stretched and lengthy timetable possible for the anime and it's still nowhere near enough to last until October/November 2019.

And once again, they need a mythical to give away in July 2019.

I haven't said that is enough to last until October/November 2019, but its too much to have for 2018. The thing most people don't think about if they count on a 2018 release is this: Anime episodes are usually produced 3 months in advance, so they can tweak or add and remove stuff closer to its airdate, which means they knew about Dusk Lycanroc before it was officially released to the public, which means they knew about it after Rockruff was caught, but its likely they knew about it before Rockruffs capture in February, which thus can mean they where informed about it before the start of the series.

If we take the Rockruff/Dusk Lycanroc situation into consideration, don't you think GF would have informed the anime staff in May 2017 that a game was coming in 2018 so they could give Ash his fifth capture late 2017 to showcase it properly (The anime exists for marketingpurposes and since Ash is the main Protag, is always gonna have a team of six), with his last capture coming March 2018 at the latest.

I also haven't said that Rowlet fully evolving is a certainty, but that we don't have to disregard the possibility either, since Dartrix and Decidueye haven't debuted yet (And seeing its the most popular Alola fully evolved starter, its more likely that Ash is gonna showcase it than someone else, especially since it has the Exclusive Z-Move).

We will get the Switch game in May 2019 at its earliest and October 2019 at its latest according to the anime.

They could do something similar to what they did when he went to Sinnoh. He could have a late series catch and then ultimately bring it along with him to the new region. Then he could technically eventually get 6 Pokemon for his team and still not have to have that the one on for very long before leaving Alola. I honestly don't think his time in Alola will end the way his time in every other region has. He doesn't HAVE to take on a tournament league. Regardless of how much they "hint" at said league (which it sounds to me like they barely mentioned it) his last thing in Alola won't be a normal run of the mill ending. The entire SM anime has been a huge departure from the rest of the series. He's technically on vacation after all so it's not like he suddenly HAS to have 6 Pokemon and compete in a Pokemon league right at the very end. Also beyond Kukui saying once that he wants Alola to have a league like the rest of the regions I think they'd build up that thought more if Ash was really gonna end up competing in such a league. Even at this point they'd be actually "hinting" and poking at the idea more. Ash would likely already know about it by this point. They're not just gonna suddenly get to the of his trials and be like "Hey Ash by the way there's a huge tournament nobody mentioned to you all this time!". I think he will maybe catch one more normal Pokemon and evolve Litten and then if he absolutely needs a 6th then he'll catch one more to eventually bring to whatever the new region is. The SM series is definitely not gonna end with him losing yet another league. I think this series was meant to be a breather from his normal travels after he got so close to winning in Kalos. This series he doesn't take part in a league tournament because he's on a vacation and then next series he gets back up on the Mudsdale and does whatever the new region has. All that said I don't think there's nearly enough content for them to reach a full 2 years and if the game doesn't make 2018 then it'll definitely be early 2019.

Oh also considering they flew through all of Akala's trials in about a month I don't think it's out there to think he can get through 2 more regular trials and 2 more grand trials in that same amount of time. They don't need to spend a crazy amount of time on the trials as they've shown to us already

Possible schedule for the anime:

By late March: A chunk of the UBs are showcased, Ash catches Poliopole, Litten evolves
By late May: Ash catches Alolan Sandshrew and completes the Ula'ula trials
By late July: Necrozma is showcased alongside the remaining UBs, Sandshrew evolves
By late August: Ash completes the Poni trials, Torracat evolves
By late November: League (if there is one), closure

Sandshrew's rushed evolution would be justified due to the Ice Stone requirement. An extra 3-4 months would be enough to add more fillers.

And seeing its the most popular Alola fully evolved starter,
In Japan? Either way, comedic starters have never evolved before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom