• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I have an idea for an original story, but I've hit a hurdle: the protagonist might be boring. She has no core drive at first, and she's not directly connected to what's at stake. The deuteragonist is more interesting, but I don't know what he could do. I need an inticing incident.

Also, I want to write a Lorule version of Spirit Tracks.

I have an idea for an original story, but I've hit a hurdle: the protagonist might be boring. She has no core drive at first, and she's not directly connected to what's at stake. The deuteragonist is more interesting, but I don't know what he could do. I need an inticing incident.

Also, I want to write a Lorule version of Spirit Tracks.
Aha! I know you! You hang out on ZU don't you?

Edit: oh freaking frig. I'm an idiot. It took me his long to figure it out.

I think I need to do some worldbuilding, figure out what the rules are. I don't want to throw in an eldritch abomination or anything because I want to introduce the world of Everbright and the creatures who inhabit it first.

All right, I'm looking for a Pokémon that a Pokémon Professor will gift to an ally of my main character. Who is willing to supply me with a name? I am also undecided on three Pokémon of my main character's rival. Who is willing to supply me with some species? The story takes place in Kanto but the rival's parents came from Alola.

Are you thinking along the lines of a starter or a Pokemon along the lines of Pokemon usually caught in the wild like Rattata, Nidoran, or Pidgey?
A wild Pokémon that can be caught in any region in Kanto in the games. No myth, /legendaries or shinies. Preferably one that appears very little in fan-fics.

bellsprout

i haven't read too many fanfics but i very much doubt the bellsprout line is much used

Hmm, I already have a poison-type lover, flying-types are covered too. Sandshrew, yes, that one sounds good for the main character's rival. A Weedle seems more likely to be eaten by a Pokémon rather than defeating one.
I base Pokémon appearances on the games.

I was just thinking about I have no idea what Estelle could actually do in The Shining Star of Everbright, when I suddenly got an idea! She could be absolutely obsessed with the idea of finding a bonflyer (basically a bird of prey that vaguely resembles a phoenix, which are revered under the misconception that they're more phoenix-like than they actually are), and then she does. This gives her a core drive without changing the premise of the story.

@Iggy How about Nidoran? I barely see it in fanfics.

I'm also imagining a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon story where there's a mission where the former-human protagonist has to rescue a Nidoqueen's kids, then he asks her how she has kids, and she just laughs.

I@Iggy How about Nidoran? I barely see it in fanfics.
All right, that one will go to an ally. Perhaps more original than the Kirlia I had originally in mind.

I'm also imagining a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon story where there's a mission where the former-human protagonist has to rescue a Nidoqueen's kids, then he asks her how she has kids, and she just laughs.
Ask the Nidoqueen?

Last edited:
Wow I've gotten literally no writing done these last few days, strictly speaking. All my fic-writing time is taken up by planning for once. The good news, though, is that now I know what's gonna happen for the next 20 chapters of Star Performer. It just feels wrong not to be writing, but I've promised myself not another word until I have a full summary.

Wow I've gotten literally no writing done these last few days, strictly speaking. All my fic-writing time is taken up by planning for once. The good news, though, is that now I know what's gonna happen for the next 20 chapters of Star Performer. It just feels wrong not to be writing, but I've promised myself not another word until I have a full summary.
Understandable. For me, plot constructing, character arcs developing, revelations, character webs, time line and summary writing takes up at least 80% of the time. Then there is always that nagging question in the back of my head: "Can I do better?" Most of the time, the answer is yes. The actual writing of the story, really the last step, will be another challenge in itself.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to see a Chatot used in fics...

Anyway, I actually find the writing part much more engaging and less challenging than the planning part of things... which is interesting to me, because for just about everything else, simply imagining or outlining things in my head is usually 100x better than what it ends up being like in reality.

I just kinda hate planning in general. I pretty much just made myself do it this time, though, so that my fic doesn't go the way of...most other things I've written.

i would not say i love planning, but i definitely want to have planned every major thing in advance. continuity and consistency is very important to me and i really don't wanna mess it up.

i do love it when i come up with new ideas for scenes and such. though i try not to think them 100% through when i'm not able to write them at that moment so that i can still feel inspired when i'm actually writing.

Back
Top Bottom