• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Pokemon Switch Version

What do you think this game or these games will be?

• Total voters
With all the gen 4 cards and promotion lately I've been thinking, what if the next game is a sequel set in sinnoh but with new Pokemon. So we have a new gen just an old setting.

It would save gamefreak alittle time since the region doesn't have to be designed it already is. But no matter what they're starting from the ground up all over again.

With all the gen 4 cards and promotion lately I've been thinking, what if the next game is a sequel set in sinnoh but with new Pokemon. So we have a new gen just an old setting.

It would save gamefreak alittle time since the region doesn't have to be designed it already is. But no matter what they're starting from the ground up all over again.
if any region were to be revisited with a sequel to serve as a new generation it would be Kanto (and that's even assuming they branch out). if we're not going to revisit Kanto as the Switch's debut, then it would be a safe assumption that we're going somewhere new. on top of that, conceptualization of a new region is likely by far the easiest part of making a game so even with the basic skeleton of Sinnoh already made, they'd still have to make it.

that being said generation is a fan term anyways.

Last edited:
if any region were to be revisited with a sequel to serve as a new generation it would be Kanto (and that's even assuming they branch out). if we're not going to revisit Kanto as the Switch's debut, then it would be a safe assumption that we're going somewhere new. on top of that, conceptualization of a new region is likely by far the easiest part of making a game so even with the basic skeleton of Sinnoh already made, they'd still have to make it.

that being said generation is a fan term anyways.
Generation should be redefined as games that can trade with each other ( not including Bank transfers) even if restricted alittle.

But anyway could also just be a remake with new Pokemon, that way people will want to buy the remakes, and then the n xt game is a new region with a new story and people will want to buy those too. This instant new gen sales for both games of the generation xD

They're doing a set for every generation. It means nothing.

I really hope it's NOT Gen 8, especially with how rushed Gen 7's lineup felt, with TWO third versions right after the initial pair, and NO other remakes or sequels of any kind, Gen 6 or Gen 3/4 is the type of lineup they should aim for with every generation, that being said, that doesn't necessarily mean starting off with the new main series games first, sure they've never started off a new system with remakes, but there's a first time for everything, Gen 3 was the first with remakes, Gen 5 was the first to skip remakes and then do sequels to the initial paired games, Gen 6 was the first to not have at least 3 games taking place in it's initial region. Gen 7 was the first to have 4 or more games and have all of them take place in the same region. I see no reason why Gen 7.5/Gen 8 can't start off with remakes instead.

So you guys know how they released additional Pokemon and forms for USUM? The same could be done for Gen 8.

Let's say, in theory, they release Kanto remakes or sequels on the Switch, and call it the beginning of Gen 8, it can still be Gen 8 without showing off the new Pokemon prematurely because of how they can release new Pokemon mid-Gen now. Maybe include a teaser legendary Pokemon at the very VERY end of the game (like they've done a lot in movies and the anime), and a year later release the new games which are actually Gen 8 with a new region and new Pokemon. It's a strange idea, I'll admit, but it'd be a nice change of pace in my opinion.

I really hope it's NOT Gen 8, especially with how rushed Gen 7's lineup felt, with TWO third versions right after the initial pair, and NO other remakes or sequels of any kind, Gen 6 or Gen 3/4 is the type of lineup they should aim for with every generation, that being said, that doesn't necessarily mean starting off with the new main series games first, sure they've never started off a new system with remakes, but there's a first time for everything, Gen 3 was the first with remakes, Gen 5 was the first to skip remakes and then do sequels to the initial paired games, Gen 6 was the first to not have at least 3 games taking place in it's initial region. Gen 7 was the first to have 4 or more games and have all of them take place in the same region. I see no reason why Gen 7.5/Gen 8 can't start off with remakes instead.

So you guys know how they released additional Pokemon and forms for USUM? The same could be done for Gen 8.

Let's say, in theory, they release Kanto remakes or sequels on the Switch, and call it the beginning of Gen 8, it can still be Gen 8 without showing off the new Pokemon prematurely because of how they can release new Pokemon mid-Gen now. Maybe include a teaser legendary Pokemon at the very VERY end of the game (like they've done a lot in movies and the anime), and a year later release the new games which are actually Gen 8 with a new region and new Pokemon. It's a strange idea, I'll admit, but it'd be a nice change of pace in my opinion.

I still don't see how remakes are any more likely to be released this year and not be considered 'rushed.' A remake of Kanto or DP would likely be just as rushed if it was released this year as a new Gen VIII game would. As I have pointed out in a previous comment, no matter what game it is, it still has to be completely built from the ground up, and the only time that would be saved would be times used for Pokémon concepts and character concepts (although characters would probably be re-imagined and re-designed anyway).

A familiar region wouldn't need to be "built completely from the ground up". The template is already there and Game Freak wouldn't need to explore the real-life setting, especially when dealing with their home region.

A remake won't entice new buyers as much as a new generation.

The reason for the complaint of "rushed" is the many times they made more versions that have more features than the original, when they could've put them in to start with. However, thinking about it, that makes those extra versions more the lame thing and not the original games, since it's clear they're only being made as a cash-in while they prepare other things. Still, the idea that they could've put in the extra features anyway seems insulting to those that got the original versions. Either way, it's not something we want to see again, and we want the next game to be as full as it can be. That isn't to say that the first games of a gen CAN'T be that way. I avoided the extra versions for several generations and only got USUM for the prospect of new pokemon. I was happy just with the first versions of the generations that had them. There is also the matter that perhaps the improvements were made after they had more experience and knew how to put more into the game. They already put so much into Sun and Moon that maybe they didn't even think of doing more with it. Either way, I feel that the reason for the argument is purely buyer's remorse. That's not the company's fault, it's yours.

Finally, as much hesitance as I have for Gamefreak being able to live up the standards of a console release, they have never failed to use the features of a system to their fullest extent. There was a time when we thought that a non-grid world with decent human models and decent scaling was impossible. There was a time when we thought a 3D world at all was impossible. There was a time when we thought even using models at all was impossible. There was a time when Pokemon couldn't have been thought of anything more than an 8 bit game with no colors and there were no extra features at all. Yes, the stakes couldn't be higher, but with the Switch, all bets are off. They are no longer constrained to the same limitations they had before. I don't know exactly what I'm expecting, but they will use everything they can to bring this franchise into it's new setting. Will it be mind-blowing? I can't say, but I also don't think it's entirely fair to say that all they can give us is the same old thing we've seen time and time again. Pokemon has changed, it is far different than what it started as. That is the one thing I can say, is that we will see something that we have never seen before, no matter what region it takes place in.

So, an idea for how a more open Pokémon could work on the Switch. You have a starting town, get your first pokémon, do a basic hand holding task to get introduced to all the the basic mechanics, maybe upto and including the first gym (a la Midgar in FF VII), and then BOOM, go wherever you want. Each route that you can access does a silent lvl/badge check to determine the lvl and type of the wild encounters (lower levels get zigazagoon, upper levels get linone for example) and each gym has a lineup based on how many badges you have. All of this funnels into a culminating E4 battle to make you the champion. Use Gym wins to unlock events with the regional villain, you can even Gen 1 it by forcing location for the confrontation. Want to make it even more challenging, make certain pokémon unlockable only within certain level spreads.

Post game, I'm not sure. I'm still trying to flesh this out in my head. Maybe DLC to other location? (a la G/S/C/HG/SS)

Pokémon doesn’t need to get rid of the linearity. They just need to stop being too linear. Up until the 3ds games I didn’t feel confined. The other games either had multiple routes, or reasons to back track, or just little places to go off on the side. And that’s fine. I actually find too open world to be irritating in Pokémon. I can’t speak for everyone clearly, but I know snowpoint annoyed the living daylights out of me trying to find the items in the snow and stuff.

As for the next games. When they do come out I think they’ll be a new generation. And by that I mean new region. For starters johto is a kanto sequel. Their plots connect and you get to revisit kanto. So unless they want to continue the plots of Alola in kanto, there isn’t really a necessity for a Kanto sequel. None of them need a sequel save for maybe XY.

But doing a remake or some sequel with the same old old isn’t going to garner the attention of people to want to buy the switch. It’s a console to a point. It’s price ain’t the cheapest. Not as bad as others but still. They need something new and exciting to convince people to buy it.

Also Pokémon does not need to compete with console series because it’s never been one. And the switch isn’t only a console. Hence the whole point of how Nintendo advertises it. It is also portable as much as it’s a console. Maybe not as easily as a game boy or ds but sill portable.

They just need to cut down on the handholding, or make the tutorials more fun, and give a little more breathing room. And of course continue trying to make t at least somewhat difficult or at least interesting enough to where that doesn’t matter.

Seasoned series veterans naturally have stricter, higher standards for what constitutes agency, difficulty, and interesting.

Seasoned series veterans naturally have stricter, higher standards for what constitutes agency, difficulty, and interesting.
I don't believe that's entirely true at all. I've been playing for years and I don't actually have that many issues. Heck most of my issues are with the 3ds games, and even then just tiny parts of each ones individually. I think if they take the best parts of each 3ds game then they'll have a great game for the switch. And even though each game has flaws, yet they are all great and have replay value. And I know other veteran players feel the same. I think the issue with being critical is that the flaws have been more obvious and so many in a row. Which is why we want something better for the switch game, but even flawed it will still be loved.

This seems like the appropriate place for this topic, I think...

Anyway, I wanna talk about visuals and music. Everyone’s been speculating on the gameplay and such thanks to some rumors, but I’m gonna go ahead and talk about some hopes I have for the next generation (or whatever it is).

Visually, I’m hoping this game really delivers. The jump to 3D in gen 6 was well-appreciated, but it didn’t update at all in gen 7. How could it? They have all the models, high-quality, and everything. So it made sense. However, the switch is more powerful. I don’t think they need to change the models (well, they should for some, lookin at you, Tropius and Xatu), But they should definitely update the textures. It may be a bit of a stretch to suggest, but I think they could go with Pokken-like designs for everything. When I look at the art and in-game models for Pokken, I’m amazed at how detailed it is. You can see actual fur on some Pokémon that not even their art comes across that way, such as umbreon and espeon. I think it could be a really nice way to show off what the switch (and Game Freak) is capable of.

Next, music. Music is one of the most important aspects of a video game for me. Judge me all you want. As with the visuals, I feel as though the music has stagnated a bit in the last few entries. Now, I’m not saying it isn’t good, but with their current hardware it seems they use the same sets of MIDI instruments again and again. I feel the series could really benefit from a recorded orchestral soundtrack. Playing games like Zelda and Mario, Xenoblade 2, almost every big entry currently on the switch, they’ve made the music amazing by just adding that real element to the sound. I cannot stress how inferior midi is to live instruments. That said, the compositions in Pokémon have always been great, so that along with an orchestra, or even just a small chamber group, if an orchestra is too much for GF, I think it could really improve the series and give it a more realist feel.

Ok, sorry for the novel. Move if there’s a better place for this, plzthnx.

This seems like the appropriate place for this topic, I think...

Anyway, I wanna talk about visuals and music. Everyone’s been speculating on the gameplay and such thanks to some rumors, but I’m gonna go ahead and talk about some hopes I have for the next generation (or whatever it is).

Visually, I’m hoping this game really delivers. The jump to 3D in gen 6 was well-appreciated, but it didn’t update at all in gen 7. How could it? They have all the models, high-quality, and everything. So it made sense. However, the switch is more powerful. I don’t think they need to change the models (well, they should for some, lookin at you, Tropius and Xatu), But they should definitely update the textures. It may be a bit of a stretch to suggest, but I think they could go with Pokken-like designs for everything. When I look at the art and in-game models for Pokken, I’m amazed at how detailed it is. You can see actual fur on some Pokémon that not even their art comes across that way, such as umbreon and espeon. I think it could be a really nice way to show off what the switch (and Game Freak) is capable of.

Next, music. Music is one of the most important aspects of a video game for me. Judge me all you want. As with the visuals, I feel as though the music has stagnated a bit in the last few entries. Now, I’m not saying it isn’t good, but with their current hardware it seems they use the same sets of MIDI instruments again and again. I feel the series could really benefit from a recorded orchestral soundtrack. Playing games like Zelda and Mario, Xenoblade 2, almost every big entry currently on the switch, they’ve made the music amazing by just adding that real element to the sound. I cannot stress how inferior midi is to live instruments. That said, the compositions in Pokémon have always been great, so that along with an orchestra, or even just a small chamber group, if an orchestra is too much for GF, I think it could really improve the series and give it a more realist feel.

Ok, sorry for the novel. Move if there’s a better place for this, plzthnx.
I actually find the visuals to be fine. Except mr mime. He’s creepy.

I’m also one of those people who wasn’t entirely comfortable with the jump to 3D models for Pokémon.

And considering I don’t isually have the sound on, I don’t care for the music.

I do want them to fix that lag issue. That was irritating. I don’t expect the game to run smoothly, but for it to run super slow during double or more battles was irritating

I do want them to fix that lag issue. That was irritating. I don’t expect the game to run smoothly, but for it to run super slow during double or more battles was irritating

I wouldn't worry about there being lag. That was entirely due to the fact that the 3ds couldn't handle SM/USUM. On the switch it likely won't have lag unless they're working with something crazy powerful that requires the Switch it put out a crap ton of work. That's unlikely tho

Hope they'll take advantage of dlc and amibo with this generation, like a red amibo to wear his outfit or to fight him and same with other characters. Dlc for battle frontier or some parts of a region like andlc to explore spear pillar and a dlc to explore black tower of something. This way it's optional and gamefreak can't use their Pokemon xcuse about the casuals not having time for it, they won't buy it so that factor is removed.

Please no to the Amibo. That's worse than my EA co-developing the loot crate system of micro-transactions comment. Because it's basically the same thing. Just not a fan of that mechanic.

I wouldn't worry about there being lag. That was entirely due to the fact that the 3ds couldn't handle SM/USUM. On the switch it likely won't have lag unless they're working with something crazy powerful that requires the Switch it put out a crap ton of work. That's unlikely tho

I sure hope so. I imagine that the graphics will still be slightly improved on the Switch, but I hope that they don't go too overboard to where the battles lag horribly.

I sure hope so. I imagine that the graphics will still be slightly improved on the Switch, but I hope that they don't go too overboard to where the battles lag horribly.
Agreed. I rather sprite graphics than drake th lag. And honestly since gen 3, pokemon has always looked great so sacrificing a small upgrade is definitely worth it for a smooth running game. While it’s true that the reason for SM lag was pushing the ds limits I rather them not risk it on the switch.

As for amiibo. Please no. Especially if it’ll just end up with more kanto fluffing and fab fav Pokémon fluffing. Out of the Pokémon amoibo I literally like one and that’s mewtwo. There is not enough Pokémon amiibo to make that a likeable feature. And especially not enough of a variety.

Back
Top Bottom