• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you purchase newer Generations on VC?

Would you purchase Gen III/IV/V on the VC?

• Yes

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
Sentimental value is still a factor. Getting a Cyndaquil for beating the Hoenn league isn't the same as traveling through the Johto region with one.

There's nothing that's indicated that. We've only gotten VC for RBY and GSC, both of which have already had remakes. It's not necessarily an either/or situation. Besides, remakes use the same region, same characters, and often the same plot as their original-why don't you consider that lazy?

Because remakes aren’t JUST made to revisit the region, they always expand on it and add cool features, people give remakes a lot of slack yet they’re some of the best selling games by far.

FireRed/LeadGreen added the Sevii Islands and League rematches, as well as breeding, a cave for Lapras, one of the legendary beasts, and the secret Navel Rock and Birth Island events.

HGSS added walking Pokémon, good use of the bottom screen, a really vibrant and colorful overworld, the secret Celebi and spiky-eared Pichu events. Different uses for the radio, the SinJoh Ruins event, rival, gym, and league rematches, and the Battle Frontier, as well as Kanto and Hoenn starters being available.

ORAS added the Delta Episode, online secret base sharing, more legendaries, the DexNav, the Battle Resort, Deoxys, and just a 3D, vibrant and exciting version of Hoenn.

People also use VC releases as excuses NOT to make remakes, you can see it all over these forums. People say “well we just visited Kanto on VC so they shouldn’t remake Kanto”. And that is, like I said, supporting laziness.

Kanto deserves a remake just as much as Sinnoh does, because the last time we played as Red was in GBA graphics. Hoenn, the same generation as FRLG, got remade for the 3DS and it was by far one of the best selling games on the 3DS and honestly rivaled some initial pairings in sales numbers.

For a Kanto remake they could add:

-Expanded Sevii Islands post-game with more features and functions to them.
-Similar Mega Evolution plot like in Origins.
-Mewtwo post-game episode
-Mew cameo
-Battle Frontier/facilities
-a Johto visit post-game that serves as a prequel to the Johto story of Gen 2, maybe showing the region still in development.
-Gym Leader rematches
-More side quests like USUM did
-More legendary involvement, maybe an episode dealing with Lugia being the trio leader for the birds, something like the Power of One movie.

Because remakes aren’t JUST made to revisit the region, they always expand on it and add cool features,
As was USUM, and yet you've said-
USUM actually kinda pissed me off, why would I want to revisit the same region, TWICE, after already visiting it, TWICE?
As great as new features are, not everyone thinks they're enough to merit a new game, and consider remakes lazy. I don't say this to be anti-remake, but just to explain that VC games are similar. While some people don't see the point in making VC games, that doesn't mean they're just lazy money grabs with no point to them.
people give remakes a lot of slack yet they’re some of the best selling games by far.
Now that's just not true. Look at this list:
List of best-selling video games - Wikipedia

Seven different Pokemon titles on here-none of them are remakes.

FireRed/LeadGreen added breeding, one of the legendary beasts,
HGSS added good use of the bottom screen, as well as Kanto and Hoenn starters being available.
ORAS added more legendaries, Deoxys
You're giving a little too much credit here. These aren't features newly added in with remakes-they're features added in by main series games prior.
People also use VC releases as excuses NOT to make remakes, you can see it all over these forums. People say “well we just visited Kanto on VC so they shouldn’t remake Kanto”. And that is, like I said, supporting laziness.
The issue isn't the VC-it's the recentness of it. People aren't saying "we should never go to Kanto again because we have an 8-bit VC game!"-they're just saying "not now".

And besides, VC is obviously not the entirety of people's issue with Kanto, because VC is not the only presence Kanto has. Kanto hasn't just been in RBY-it was also in GSC, FRLG, and HGSS.
Kanto deserves a remake just as much as Sinnoh does, because the last time we played as Red was in GBA graphics.
And the last time we saw Red was in USUM. Red's not that interesting a character-he's an entirely silent, blank protagonist. He's not that different from our other playable characters.
Hoenn, the same generation as FRLG, got remade for the 3DS
Kanto still made an appearance on the DS, a generation later. And Kanto was a generation that had already received a remake-Hoenn was not.
and it was by far one of the best selling games on the 3DS and honestly rivaled some initial pairings in sales numbers.
While ORAS has much higher numbers than other games, it's still a good 3 million behind non-remake main series games. IR Information : Financial Data - Top Selling Title Sales Units - Nintendo 3DS Software

Last edited:
I don’t count Kanto’s appearance in the Johto games because it’s not the region the story takes place in, its post game content. When I say I wanna play a Kanto game, I mean from Pallet Town and onwards, the actual story of Kanto. Not the “oh, here’s Kanto post-game because it’s next to Johto” that’s still great and all, but the fact remains that Kanto as well as Johto and Sinnoh are now some of the regions we haven’t seen in new titles since Gen 4, which makes them all next in line, in theory, for a remake. Which is why I suggested a reverse of GSC, where a Kanto game has pre-Johto games Johto in the post game.

Also, USUM pissed me off because it was RIGHT after SM. If it was broken up by a remake or was simply one game instead of two, I wouldn’t feel as sick of Alola as I am. Platinum was two years after DP, Emerald was two years and one remake after RS, BW2 were an entirely different story taking place after BW. I was just 3 when Crystal came out but it’s one of the worst selling games probably for the same reason USUM is tracking similarly badly.

If, inbetween SM and a third version, we either had another year, maybe a Kanto remake, and one third version instead of two, I wouldn’t be downing the games, but here we are, a year after two Alola games, we get the same story in nearly the same Alola with the first 85% of the game being nearly identical.

Also, USUM pissed me off because it was RIGHT after SM. If it was broken up by a remake or was simply one game instead of two, I wouldn’t feel as sick of Alola as I am.
So surely you can understand why people might be irritated by a Kanto remake shortly after Kanto VC?
probably for the same reason USUM is tracking similarly badly.
You consider 7.17 million sold "tracking badly"? That's the 8th best-selling game on the 3DS. (and in only a few months, too)
but here we are, a year after two Alola games, we get the same story in nearly the same Alola with the first 85% of the game being nearly identical.
And here we are, just shy of two years since VC RBY, and you're saying we should retell the story of Kanto.

Again, I'm not saying you should suddenly change your opinion about the possibility of Kanto remakes. I'm just trying to explain that just because some people don't consider a region worth revisiting doesn't mean making another game for it is "lazy" or not worthwhile. You have perfectly legitimate reasons to personally dislike USUM (because it's old content brought back too soon) and to like the idea of a Kanto remake (because of new features)-but at the same time, the same logic you're using could be applied in the opposite way. (One could like USUM for its new features and dislike the idea of Kanto remakes because they're old content brought back too soon) Nobody is required to buy games that revisit regions, so what's the harm in including the option to play VC in addition to remakes?

People will start saying “no Sinnoh remakes cuz we got ports” “no Unova remakes because we got ports”. Just as they do with Kanto and Johto now. See what I mean? VC releases encourage that type of response, whereas HGSS and ORAS were seen as possibly the best Pokémon games of their systems. And yeah, USUM is tracking badly, it’s selling worse than all three prior 3DS Pokémon main series releases. 8th best on the 3DS isn’t that great of a milestone for a Pokémon game when they’re usually flooding the top-5/8 for a system.

It’s the worst selling 3DS Pokémon game, ORAS sold so good it almost caught XY which is a solid achievement for a remake. That shows you how good they sell. And how bad USUM is doing vs. ORAS. ORAS, XY, and SM all sold over 13M copies. USUM is at only half that. Clearly USUM was a mistake and the stats show that. I genuinely believed we were getting Kanto remakes or something after SM.

Also, I can’t count VC releases against the idea of possible remakes because they’re not new games. They’re old games. If you pop Platinum into your 3DS, play it, and say, “it’s too soon for Sinnoh remakes I just played Sinnoh”, that doesn’t work. You’re comparing an old game to a new refreshed version.

The only difference between that and VC is that they’re being released as an emulator on a system they’re not designed to be played on. But that doesn’t change the fact that they’re old games. I can just as easily fire up my GBA SP and play my physical Yellow as I can fire up my 3DS and play my digital Yellow VC. That doesn’t change the fact that the game’s engine is over 20 years old. Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh all deserve revisits in 3D on the Switch, and even Unova, eventually. Then they can say every main series region has been in full 3D.

Last edited:
People will start saying “no Sinnoh remakes cuz we got ports” “no Unova remakes because we got ports”.
Unless you're a Psychic-type, I don't think you can rightfully claim to know the future nor the intentions of other people/.
Just as they do with Kanto and Johto now.
As I said before:

The issue isn't the VC-it's the recentness of it. People aren't saying "we should never go to Kanto again because we have an 8-bit VC game!"-they're just saying "not now".

And besides, VC is obviously not the entirety of people's issue with Kanto, because VC is not the only presence Kanto has. Kanto hasn't just been in RBY-it was also in GSC, FRLG, and HGSS.

VC releases encourage that type of response,
Offering an alternative is not the same as discouraging something else. If someone's not buying something, they're not buying.
whereas HGSS and ORAS were seen as possibly the best Pokémon games of their systems.
Is that why ORAS sold less than XY and SuMo?
And yeah, USUM is tracking badly, it’s selling worse than all three prior 3DS Pokémon main series releases.
With only three months since its released, compared to SuMo's release in 2016, ORAS's release in 2014, and XY's release in 2013, I'd say it's a little early to start comparing sale totals.
8th best on the 3DS isn’t that great of a milestone for a Pokémon game when they’re usually flooding the top-5/8 for a system.
Again: USUM has only been around for three months. When a game system has been around since 2011, and a game makes top 8 in three months, that's quite a feat.

I think there is some confusion due to the aversion to Kanto remakes. A lot of people are sick of kanto because of the pandering and the fact we had it in four generations.

However plenty want remakes still without a doubt, it’s jsut nice to also have the classics with in easy and cheaper reach to enjoy the feel of that and to see how the games have changed. A remake and original are two different experiences.

I would more likely pick up Emerald if it comes to VC. Gen 3 is now the only one not playable on current hardware (plus Nintendo still needs to solve how to do a proper GBA VC on 3DS).

I would more likely pick up Emerald if it comes to VC. Gen 3 is now the only one not playable on current hardware (plus Nintendo still needs to solve how to do a proper GBA VC on 3DS).

But in a sense, it is playable. RBY instead of FRLG, and ORAS instead of RSE. They've got the entire series just about wrapped up on the 3DS, which is why, in my opinion, the Switch might be a soft-reboot, since it can't play 3DS games, it could be a good opportunity to redo every region starting with the ones we haven't played in the longest in new games (Sinnoh, Johto, and Kanto) and working their way up. We could quite possibly see every region besides the 3DS regions represented on the Switch, which would be amazing.

I think Gen IV Virtual Console would be a risk to sales of a remake. Not for fans who have followed each release, but people who missed out on the generation or just want new Pokemon. Gen IV is daunting and I can see people wanting a break before returning to Sinnoh, if they do. Gen IV and V are both divisive in their own ways and the brand doesn't need that before the switch release. VI and VII are both approachable and welcoming games that leave you wanting more. It's the perfect opportunity to build off of that. I also can't see them putting it up without a remake just because VC releases always feel like they're time capsules in a way. Not to mention if they split the remakes up, then they're not going to want Platinum widely available as it'll likely be missing some features. There are just so many variables to consider that I don't think it makes good business sense at this moment.

As for Kanto remakes? Maybe. I think it's likely we're getting a reboot of them sometime soon, if not as the next games. The thing is that Gens I-III are single screen games, whereas Gens IV-VII are dual screen, with IV and V being the oldest. I think those will get priority just to make them more widely accessible. I mean the concept for the remakes has always been to get Pokemon not available in the main games accessible on a new system. There'd likely be no FRLG if you could trade between systems. The story stuff is more commentary after time has passed, but it's not really been the focus. Maybe moreso the Delta episode with ORAS because you could transfer Pokemon between V and VI, and therefore IV to V to VI, though it was messier than simply trading. I think you could transfer from III to IV as well, but I can't remember. The point is that they release games so you have the easiest access to transferring from them. The Pokemon Bank will likely be accessible on the switch. As the VC allows transfers from RBY and GSC, and Pokebank providing direct access to ORAS (therefore Gen III), XY, and SM, that leaves Gen IV and V as the only ones without direct access. Meaning while they could release the games on VC and do it similar to Gens I and II, I don't see them releasing III thanks to ORAS and not wanting to compete with sales. So if we do get remakes, they're almost certainly going to be Gens IV and V. That's the only thing that makes sense and why I think a Kanto remake is more likely to be entirely new and include new Pokemon. It's always been about direct accessibility to older games on a new system and Gens IV and V are the odd ones out. (Keep in mind the DS was the first system to get two Gens on one system. I expect something similar here to keep with tradition.)

Just a reminder, this isn't thread isn't about re-makes. We already have quite a few threads devoted to kicking that dead Rapidash. I'm simply asking if you would purchase VC releases of Gens III/IV/V for 3DS.

And as a random thought, what about ALL core titles on a Switch VC?

Just a reminder, this isn't thread isn't about re-makes. We already have quite a few threads devoted to kicking that dead Rapidash. I'm simply asking if you would purchase VC releases of Gens III/IV/V for 3DS.

Sorry, but when you mention VC releases, it is inevitably going to get compared and debated against remakes.

To answer your question, no, I wouldn’t get VC releases for most games, I’d get Emerald and that’s probably it.

I'd consider getting Emerald & FRLG on VC to experience the old Battle Froniter & Sevii Islands again, but I wouldn't be too excited about it compared to the Switch game & the prospect of Gen IV remakes - we've just been to upgraded Hoenn not too long ago, and it would be mainly because of the hardware gap between the generations (as it stands you can play Gens IV & V on 3DS anyway).

Since I'll be beginning to play the core games with the Switch, I'll purchase most of the titles that appeal to me- ORAS, USUM and XY. Since we'll be most likely getting Kanto and Sinnoh remakes, I'll give those games a pass, and BW has a decent chance to be remade in the future, so I will not be purchasing that, too.

In my opinion, I would buy the gen 3 games, mainly because the only copies I have of them are bootlegged. However, I not exactly about further up, since I have almost all the main series Pokemon games (except Pokemon Y) after gen 3.

*waves protest sign with "Not My Hoenn" written on it*

ORAS isn't bad, but the lack of any Emerald content is almost unforgivable, especially if you compare HGSS.

Oh I agree with you, and I still hold Emerald in high regard exclusively for that reason, but what ORAS didn't add was made up by the visual presentation, post-game content, the Delta Episode, online secret base sharing, mirage spots, etc.

ORAS gets a 9/10 from me for LITERALLY just excluding the Battle Frontier, it'd have been the perfect game, in my opinion, if it had just added that one thing, I still wonder what that "Battle Frontier Project Starting Soon" thing means, I think that eventually, in a Switch game, the Hoenn Frontier will be a post-game area that you can travel to, kind of like how in Emerald, you can travel to the Sevii Islands, but only two of them. This would be like going to Hoenn but not really.

I have the cartridges and the consoles so I wouldn’t buy any VC games. However, if they release Emerald on VC with all events unlocked then I will seriously consider buying it.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom