• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM061: Set Off! Our Ultra Guardians!!

I've seen a lot of people compare the suit-ups to Sailor Moon. Overall, I kinda like the Power Rangers comparison, especially with Lusamine as Zordon.

This episode was bad, The AF remodeled the school into a Batmanesque secret base really? No
The weird material to make their suit which covers their actual clothes into tight fit suits? Weird and impractical.
How much of you all were expecting this big fight between Bewear and Buzzwole when it turned into literally the same scene vs Oranguru, flared aura and some arm wrestling. Literally a repeat scene, after seeing how many of you were so hyped for that in the discussion thread, I wonder how disappointed it left you.
The Snorlax scene was a massive let down, it recovered with a potion? And berries...
To Buzzwole, was the whole bodybuilder showdown with Ash and Kiawe necessary? that's 20 seconds of my life wasted.
The battle was brief as fk and only Pikachu used, they caught it with one Beast Ball and Buzzwole didn't even take damage so the balls are Master Ball level?
The release was weird, Buzzwole just chose to leave and fly through the wormhole?
After that fake sell in the preview to make it seem like this episode would be serious, it was just a joke with so much elements seeming ripped off from other shows... That didn't even feel like Pokemon.
It was a fun episode for me, don't blame the series, blame the writers for this. Some episodes are great and the rest are filler, that's supposed to be.
Doesn't change the fact that the battle itself was horrible as usual. SM upgrade their animation and never use it on the one thing Pokemon was known for, Battles. Instead it's used to show us all this useless ripoff shit.
The only reason they let it be caught so easily is just to rush it as usual tbh and to add their comedic relief everywhere.
Would it be better if the next generation is going to be less boring? I don't think so. This is for kids and they are aiming for the young audiences.

Last edited:
One of the Pokémon that has a bow is Popplio, whose gender was not confirmed. Can we count that as confirming Lana's Popplio is female?
I personally would say so. Would make sense too. With the Trainer and Pokémon having having matching genders, I mean.

Watching the sequence where the Ultra Guardian's suit up and launch reminds me of Thunderbirds are Go which wasn't bad
You ever watched the original Thunderbirds? It's closer to that IMO, but it may be just because they were a big part of my childhood.

I'd like to get a consensus on this before making any changes to their respective pages, but I'm fairly certain that's the intention with the Pokemon amulets (except Rotom, who's genderless). I think we finally have a conversation on it in the Catch/Release thread.

It was a fun episode for me, don't blame the series, blame the writers for this. Some episodes are great and the rest are filler, that's supposed to be.

Would it be better if the next generation is going to be less boring? I don't think so. This is for kids and they are aiming for the young audiences.

Fun? Subjective I suppose but the poor writing took that away. Fun is all well and good but this level of poor writing is just atrocious. The writers make the series so I blame them and the series by extension takes the brunt of that.
Define less boring because this is just an anime with silly faces atm and nothing remains of what Pokemon is at its core. I'm sorry but I can't watch this and think this is Pokemon because it truly isn't.
This is a blatant rip off atm at best.

Fun? Subjective I suppose but the poor writing took that away. Fun is all well and good but this level of poor writing is just atrocious. The writers make the series so I blame them and the series by extension takes the brunt of that.
Define less boring because this is just an anime with silly faces atm and nothing remains of what Pokemon is at its core. I'm sorry but I can't watch this and think this is Pokemon because it truly isn't.
This is a blatant rip off atm at best.
Oh, boy. Here we go...

RAMBLING MODE: ON

Well, aren't you just little Mr. Sunshine. For me, you come off as a person who can't accept anything that's not what you're used to.

Why don't you tell me what you think Pokémon is supposed to be like? This is the Generation that broke many established traditions in the series, and the anime is also doing the same thing in many regards. Why can't you give these new ideas and ways of writing a chance?

Personally, I really liked this episode. Of course, people are free to have their own opinions, but I don't appreciate people who can't even respect others liking stuff they don't like, and your hatred is reaching unfair levels in my books.

I've seen so many people piling unwarranted hate on this series so much that I've grown sick and tired of it long ago. If you hate something, why do you even bother coming to the internet to watch and complain about it?

RAMBLING MODE: OFF

Oh, boy. Here we go...

Well, aren't you just little Mr. Sunshine. For me, you come off as a person who can't accept anything that's not what you're used to.

Why don't you tell me what you think Pokémon is supposed to be like? This is the Generation that broke many established traditions in the series, and the anime is also doing the same thing in many regards. Why can't you give these new ideas and ways of writing a chance?

Personally, I really liked this episode. Of course, people are free to have their own opinions, but I don't appreciate people who can't even respect others liking stuff they don't like, and your hatred is reaching unfair levels in my books.

I've seen so many people piling unwarranted hate on this series so much that I've grown sick and tired of it long ago. If you hate something, why do you even bother coming to the internet to watch and complain about it?

Oh, nicely said, pal. I liked this episode too.

Can we just confirm that most of the main mons have their genders revealed? This is quite obvious, Turtonator, Marowak, Charjabug, Lycanroc, Rowlet, and Litten are males, Snowy, and Popplio female, you can tell by their Ultra Guardian accessories.
No. There is people who get banned for that.

I love how the whole machine that suits them up and transports them to HQ was built right beneath the school between SM055 and SM060 without them knowing it. Was that maybe the true motive of the random field trip to Mt. Lanakila?

That scene of Buzzwole drinking Snorlax’s blood in the trailer I felt was really pushing the threshold of a K7 rating. But then just like in the Morelull episode, Snorlax is fine after eating a ton of food?
Should have known.

And yes, the release of Buzzwole does seem to imply that Piople will just be the next Nebby, even if they don’t know it’s an Ultra Beast at first.

And after all of that, we’re going back to boring old school for at least the next four episodes. For this reason I think it would’ve been better if they had just saved this whole Ultra Guardians sequence for a much longer Necrozma arc over several episodes - but it’s still a bit early in the series for that, so it gives us something to look forward to I guess.

Oh, boy. Here we go...

Well you'd be wrong if that's what you assume, there are many episodes of SM I liked just FYI and I was greatly looking forward to seeing the writers tackle Trials and Grant Trials. So before you assume you know me unknown person, don't ever try and question my opinion on something. I don't give a shit how I come off to you, I stated my opinion on what I consider poor writing.
Let me ask you something, where in my comment did I insult the other person's opinion. I said fun is subjective which means something could be fun to another but not to me. I went on to explain why I don't believe FUN is enough to cover poor writing which in this case I clearly stated what I considered to be as such.

Do you want to know what Pokemon isn't, it isn't a anime that needs to borrow elements from other shows to try and make a storyline. It was never an anime that required to use funny faces as a call out to other shows because Pokemon in their own right is a brand that should never have to copy something like Super Sentai to this extent. The game broke traditions and was well received, the anime could have easily done that as well. The big thing of trials isn't even treated with respect in the anime when it started off by saying the island challenge is a big deal. Now if you liked the episode then that's all well and good, good for you but do not try and shoot down my opinion and label me as someone who hates change when I have no idea who the hell you are before now and you've obviously never seen me comment here before if you think I always had an issue with SM.

So don't ever reply to me and tell me how I should think when I've not disrespected anyone, look at yourself and ramble on little boy.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom