• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

AmourShipping (Ash x Serena) Thread

Ash is always going to be confirmed 10, that has nothing to do with anything. Obviously we're never going to get a timeskip, they're speaking in the far future long after the shows current continuity ends. Even if we never see it, it doesn't matter, it's implied.

Considering people still bring up old things that happened in the anime from the OS, AG or DP on a daily basis even though they happened years/decades ago, people will still talk about Amour/Serena decades after she left the show too. It's also not like people don't go back and rewatch old eps either, so no old character is truly gone even after they leave the show forever.

Ash is always going to be confirmed 10, that has nothing to do with anything. Obviously we're never going to get a timeskip, they're speaking in the far future long after the shows current continuity ends. Even if we never see it, it doesn't matter, it's implied.

Considering people still bring up old things that happened in the anime from the OS, AG or DP on a daily basis even though they happened years/decades ago, people will still talk about Amour/Serena decades after she left the show too. It's also not like people don't go back and rewatch old eps either, so no old character is truly gone even after they leave the show forever.

But the target audience wouldn't know who she is.

But the target audience wouldn't know who she is.

Most kids watch eps on the internet now, unlike the old days. Kids of today can know who Misty, May or Dawn are, all of which have been gone from the show for decades or years. For Serena it'll be the same.

Most kids watch eps on the internet now, unlike the old days. Kids of today can know who Misty, May or Dawn are, all of which have been gone from the show for decades or years. For Serena it'll be the same.

Yea my 6 year old nephew knows a lot more about Dawn then I do.

Hi! I am new to this forum and i wanted to ask if its any chance to return serena in ep 37? In previews sad ash asnd lana meet A PERFORMER with a brionne... At least this is what i understood...

Forums in general aren't very active anymore, especially the shipping section. Most pokemon anime fans are on social media now like tumblr and twitter, they constantly talk about ships there.

Besides that, discussion for all main girl ships generally dies down a bit when the female character leaves the series. Same thing happened with May and Dawn before that, there used to be very active threads for them here too a few years ago when they were more recent.

The pokeshipping thread was also flat out dead until recently and that's only for the obvious reason that Misty got a cameo in SM. So yeah, I'd recommend checking out tumblr especially if you want to see more Amour discussion.

Forums in general aren't very active anymore, especially the shipping section. Most pokemon anime fans are on social media now like tumblr and twitter, they constantly talk about ships there.

Besides that, discussion for all main girl ships generally dies down a bit when the female character leaves the series. Same thing happened with May and Dawn before that, there used to be very active threads for them here too a few years ago when they were more recent.

The pokeshipping thread was also flat out dead until recently and that's only for the obvious reason that Misty got a cameo in SM. So yeah, I'd recommend checking out tumblr especially if you want to see more Amour discussion.

I actually never saw much discussion on Twitter tbh and as for Tumblr, everything is randomly spread around that it's hard to find good convo places. Realized I'm late in this in general as I never knew about it while watching the anime :cry:

Well you can just search through certain tags there. For tumblr just go to "most recent" and type in keywords like Amourshipping, or Ash Serena, or stuff like that. I found tumblr confusing to navigate at first too but then I got used to it.

Most pokemon anime fans are on tumblr now and post their thoughts there. It's why both Bulbagarden and serebii aren't very active anymore. I wouldn't expect these shipping threads here to be very active at all, most people just simply don't post here anymore.

Well you can just search through certain tags there. For tumblr just go to "most recent" and type in keywords like Amourshipping, or Ash Serena, or stuff like that. I found tumblr confusing to navigate at first too but then I got used to it.

Most pokemon anime fans are on tumblr now and post their thoughts there. It's why both Bulbagarden and serebii aren't very active anymore. I wouldn't expect these shipping threads here to be very active at all, most people just simply don't post here anymore.

Ah I see, well thanks for that! Tumblr sure is a problem to navigate tbh. Real shame this thread died though seeing as I never really shipped anyone in Pokemon before and I finally found one that had me like wow :D

Hello Ladies and Gents. Long time no see.

Since I was in the neighborhood, I was browsing through old posts and realized that next week will be the three year anniversary of the Date Episode (XY59).

It's hard to believe it's only been three years. Looking back it seems like an eternity ago.

Anywho, I thought, given that discussion is pretty light here these days, it might be fun to take a minute from your regularly scheduled programming to reflect upon XY59 and its counterpart XY60 (Serena's first Showcase) and the impact this duo had on AmourShipping in hindsight.

Firstly, I recall the massive amount of attention that XY59 garnered. I do think that that episode was the one that really set AmourShipping right front and center for the whole fandom to see. Yes, Amour was certainly visible and discussed before this episode, but I look back to the sheer buzz and the amount of new members (myself included) who joined the community in the build up to this episode, and I my rational as to why this episode was significant from a visibility point of view might seem well formed. It galvanized the Amour community in a way that I certainly never saw again to quite the same extent.

Secondly, I like to be able to look at the "date" in XY59 and juxtapose it to the "date" in XY138 (Serena's last focus episode). Seeing how differently Ash regards Serena in the latter is noteworthy. I need not delve into how, in the first, he almost seems to regard Serena's presence as an afterthought, whereas in the second he actually engages her and accommodates her on a much more emotional level. You can also look at Serena's conduct during both. During the first, her infatuation with Ash largely dominated her attention. During the latter, there is an almost palpable melancholy in her demeanor. Despite the fact that she is finally hanging out with Ash (and is actually the object of his attention) her considerations of her future overshadow their outing. Yes, her feelings were certainly not diminished -- as the last episode of XY made clear -- but she had learned how to more maturely incorporate her feelings for Ash with her life goals, demonstrating that she views those two objectives and mutually compatible. In fact (and this thought is just occurring to me now) perhaps XY138 was where Serena mentally switched from a short-term strategy for winning over Ash, to the long-term one she ultimately settled upon.

XY60 is a cornucopia of implications all in itself. The introduction of Palmero and her secondary influence on Amour can't be ignored. Her outfit change which included the ribbon Ash gifted her in the previous episode became a perpetual symbol of Amour, while also setting the tone for the more level, goal-oriented Serena of the rest of the series. In hindsight that, while XY59 didn't really have any mutual Amour hints it did provide more symbolic Amour moments. XY60, on the other hand, had those more concrete hints (from both sides arguably) but perhaps didn't offer as much opportunity for post-season evaluation as the tone of XY59.

Long story short, I still stand by the assessment I gave these two episodes back when they first aired in February of 2015 that they form an AmourShipping Duology that really set the tone of how Amour would progress for the rest of the series.

Hello Ladies and Gents. Long time no see.

Since I was in the neighborhood, I was browsing through old posts and realized that next week will be the three year anniversary of the Date Episode (XY59).

It's hard to believe it's only been three years. Looking back it seems like an eternity ago.

Anywho, I thought, given that discussion is pretty light here these days, it might be fun to take a minute from your regularly scheduled programming to reflect upon XY59 and its counterpart XY60 (Serena's first Showcase) and the impact this duo had on AmourShipping in hindsight.

Firstly, I recall the massive amount of attention that XY59 garnered. I do think that that episode was the one that really set AmourShipping right front and center for the whole fandom to see. Yes, Amour was certainly visible and discussed before this episode, but I look back to the sheer buzz and the amount of new members (myself included) who joined the community in the build up to this episode, and I my rational as to why this episode was significant from a visibility point of view might seem well formed. It galvanized the Amour community in a way that I certainly never saw again to quite the same extent.

Secondly, I like to be able to look at the "date" in XY59 and juxtapose it to the "date" in XY138 (Serena's last focus episode). Seeing how differently Ash regards Serena in the latter is noteworthy. I need not delve into how, in the first, he almost seems to regard Serena's presence as an afterthought, whereas in the second he actually engages her and accommodates her on a much more emotional level. You can also look at Serena's conduct during both. During the first, her infatuation with Ash largely dominated her attention. During the latter, there is an almost palpable melancholy in her demeanor. Despite the fact that she is finally hanging out with Ash (and is actually the object of his attention) her considerations of her future overshadow their outing. Yes, her feelings were certainly not diminished -- as the last episode of XY made clear -- but she had learned how to more maturely incorporate her feelings for Ash with her life goals, demonstrating that she views those two objectives and mutually compatible. In fact (and this thought is just occurring to me now) perhaps XY138 was where Serena mentally switched from a short-term strategy for winning over Ash, to the long-term one she ultimately settled upon.

XY60 is a cornucopia of implications all in itself. The introduction of Palmero and her secondary influence on Amour can't be ignored. Her outfit change which included the ribbon Ash gifted her in the previous episode became a perpetual symbol of Amour, while also setting the tone for the more level, goal-oriented Serena of the rest of the series. In hindsight that, while XY59 didn't really have any mutual Amour hints it did provide more symbolic Amour moments. XY60, on the other hand, had those more concrete hints (from both sides arguably) but perhaps didn't offer as much opportunity for post-season evaluation as the tone of XY59.

Long story short, I still stand by the assessment I gave these two episodes back when they first aired in February of 2015 that they form an AmourShipping Duology that really set the tone of how Amour would progress for the rest of the series.

Totally agree with you here, the differences in both Ash and Serena between the first date and the more legit second one is quite astounding. Made me really appreciate the growth in their relationship.

Pokemon's official U.S. twitter actually posted the scene of Serena kissing Ash at the end of XY because today is Valentines Day:

View: https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/963865862267531264

The replies are mostly filled with butt-hurt shippers all arguing with each other though, lol.

But either way the fact that the official Pokemon twitter chose Ash/Serena over anything else for their Valentines day post is nice, especially since XY has been over for nearly 2 years now.

Pokemon's official U.S. twitter actually posted the scene of Serena kissing Ash at the end of XY because today is Valentines Day:

View: https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/963865862267531264

The replies are mostly filled with butt-hurt shippers all arguing with each other though, lol.

But either way the fact that the official Pokemon twitter chose Ash/Serena over anything else for their Valentines day post is nice, especially since XY has been over for nearly 2 years now.

Wonderful time to be alive tbh

This isn’t surprising at all. :p

Anyway, it was really nice seeing that moment again. The whole buildup, with Serena going up the stairs and the little music playing and Ash looking puzzled and Serena leaning forward and… aaah! I feel my heart fluttering every time I think about it! It’s such a sweet and adorable moment! <3

Oh, and since I don’t want to see this thread rusting again and the Twitter channel brought up that moment, I guess we could try to keep the conversation rolling with a question:

“If Serena were to meet Ash in the Alola region, how do you think she would interact with him?”

Serena's personality would likely be altered in SM the same way Ash's was to fit this sagas's writing style, so she'd probably be more playful or kid-like around him. XY wrote the characters as if they were in their early teens, so there would be a contrast.

Overall though, I don't think Serena will appear in SM, especially now. We're getting to the later half of the saga now and Serena might not be a good fit for the saga. I don't think Serena will appear for a long time to be honest, the writers didn't even give her a special when she left either. (when even characters like Iris and Cilan got specials), so it seems the writers intended the XY finale to be her sendoff for a good while. Maybe in Gen 8 or beyond if the tone of the saga changes again to be something more similar to AG/DP/XY again.

I don't get why shippers engage in wars over fictional characters, especially since Ash will forever be 10.

It's not rational, so don't try to come up with a rational explanation for it. Shipping is serious in fandoms and people get inordinately attached to their favorite couples, probably because they see something in them that they wish was in their own lives. I used to engage in shipping wars myself, but I quit because it just took up too much time and emotional energy.

This isn’t surprising at all. :p

Anyway, it was really nice seeing that moment again. The whole buildup, with Serena going up the stairs and the little music playing and Ash looking puzzled and Serena leaning forward and… aaah! I feel my heart fluttering every time I think about it! It’s such a sweet and adorable moment! <3

Oh, and since I don’t want to see this thread rusting again and the Twitter channel brought up that moment, I guess we could try to keep the conversation rolling with a question:

“If Serena were to meet Ash in the Alola region, how do you think she would interact with him?”

Personally think she would be a bit different to her XY counterpart, they'd ofc push the limits with her being in love with Ash, funny faces etc and maybe even put her in a situation or two for comedic effect which I personally would rather not see. Most importantly I believe it's too early to see her again after the last episode.
As Cybersai said, the characters have been altered to fit the tone of SM and the same will happen to Serena, most importantly for me though, I'd rather not see how she'd look in SM art style. So far none of the transitions have clicked for me. Ash, Jessie, James, Misty, Brock, Delia and even Pikachu to an extent haven't really been to my liking compared to the characters made for the series, who all look rather fitting imo.

Back
Top Bottom