• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Fluttershy of Light

Star Guardian Ahri
Reaction score
Since it was Revealed in the Trailer today this thread will be used to discuss the upcoming SSB game for the Nintendo Switch. There is a rather huge questions about it like whether or not this will be a Smash 4 remake since they moved away from the Wii U or a new game entirely, will the Inklings be a playable character as they were shown in the Trailer, and if the Inklings are playable will there be other characters (likely by DLC) will be play or if it's a new installation to the series what other characters will be available? There's many unsolved questions around what will happen so what is everyone's thoughts on this reveal?
For those who have yet to see it here is the Trailer that was Shown

Yeah i was meaning too edit the post since we got an entire site (similar to the one we got for Sm4sh) for it which I don't think we'd be getting if it was a port but I got distracted with a potential headache lol.

My problem with this is that 2018 seems to soon for a new Smash game. That said, it still looks like everything points to an original game rather than a port.

I'm personally hoping for a new one, but there are stuff that points towards a port as well (last game was only 4 years ago etc). The squid people were shown in the trailer though, and I mean I guess they could be DLC, but I kinda doubt it at the same time.

So I'm hoping for it to be a new game, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up too high. I'll definitely have to buy a Switch if it is though >_>

According to IGN, sakurai is working on the game, which makes me think it’s sma5h than a port of sm4sh even more. If it were a port why bring the series’ main dude in to brush it up?

If Sakurai's working on it, I doubt he's doing the heavy lifting this time around. He might just be overseeing development or something.

I feel 80% sure this a new game. Definitely built upon Smash 4's framework, but new. I sure hope so anyway, since Smash 4 felt a bit soulless to me (I think it's the lack of good singleplayer content like Adventure Mode or something that gets me... also, no offline tourney mode? what.) and I want a new one. It is a short turnaround from Smash 4, but Melee came out within like 1-2 years of Smash 64, and there was that mysterious Bandai Namco job listing for a Smash 6 or something way back when Smash 4 was still very recent, so maybe they really have been working on it for a while. Might make sense if they knew already that the Wii U was going to get replaced and its successor needed way stronger, consistent support to succeed.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but personally I hope there aren't so many 3rd party characters this time around. It was okay with just Sonic and Snake in Brawl, but it got out of hand in Smash 4 imo, and I play Smash for the Nintendo aspect. Sonic should stay since he's kind of a veteran at this point and I love Sonic and Bayonetta makes sense with how her series got saved by Nintendo, but like Ryu... yeah, he can go. Pac-Man is all right since he sorta fits in better. Cloud... it pains me to say this as a Final Fantasy fan, but I want Cloud gone. He is very much a character associated with Sony and Playstation, and he just doesn't fit in Smash. Cecil or Terra would've made more sense.

The Smash 4 clones should get relegated to simple alternate outfits/models. No more Lucina and Dark Pit being their own slot. And if they do that, they should make Peach's "Daisy" color scheme an alt for Daisy or something. The Melee one was kinda close to that already (since it changed Peach's skin tone, gloves, dress design etc to match Daisy), but then got lazier in the successive games.

And please let Wolf come back. He was one of my go-to characters in Brawl and as a Star Fox fan it makes me sad how that series gets treated like a second-class citizen sometimes. He was sort of a clone, but I think he had enough differences to justify a slot.

And please let Wolf come back. He was one of my go-to characters in Brawl and as a Star Fox fan it makes me sad how that series gets treated like a second-class citizen sometimes. He was sort of a clone, but I think he had enough differences to justify a slot.
Wolf was definitely less of a Fox clone than Falco was. But he would definitely need a new Final Smash -- like maybe the walker mode from Star Fox Zero?

But I'll be a rebel and say they should drop Falco and add Revali.

Initially I was 90% sure this is a new Smash game, although Nintendo being this vague about what it is gives me doubts. So now I’m around 60% sure.

Anyway, Smash 4 is awesome so there’s not too much I’d really suggest for a new game. The one thing I keep thinking is maybe I’d like more stages. Maybe even “legacy” stages kinda like Brawl had? I just wanna see my boy Hyrule Temple again!

[EDIT: So it turns out Smash for Wii U already does this... as DLC. My mistake, although I have a strong distaste for DLC so there’s still room to improve in my book.]

I also really want Snake back, cuz I loved playing as him in Brawl and I love Metal Gear, but I’m sure Konami won’t let that happen because they’re dedicated to doing the opposite of the good decision in every scenario.

Last edited:
I Cloud... it pains me to say this as a Final Fantasy fan, but I want Cloud gone. He is very much a character associated with Sony and Playstation, and he just doesn't fit in Smash. Cecil or Terra would've made more sense.

imo They should have gone with Warrior of Light from I to be the FF Ref. Cecil also would work as IV had 3 times on Nintendo stuff I'm personally Hoping that it's a new game. also please have a story mode I'm not asking for much something like Subspace would make me happy.

Anyway here's some Characters I'd like to see:
Rex(Xenoblade 2): "But he's just be a Shulk cone!" nonsense give him blades that change up his fighting style and you're golden
Zael(The last Story) PUT MY SON IN, also tls needs more love
Shovel Knight(you can guess): pretty popular
Neku(the world ends with you) with final remix on the horizon it's possible. also I've been wanting him since before sm4sh
A yo-kai(yokai watch) or someone from those games
An ultra Beast(from pokemon)

This isn't a serious list my any means.

Since not too much was seen, I am going to wait until more evidence is presented to see if this either a new game, or a port of Smash 4.

Since not too much was seen, I am going to wait until more evidence is presented to see if this either a new game, or a port of Smash 4.
The best logic so far seems to be that Nintendo has been fairly straightforward about identifying ports up front (examples: Pokken, Mariokart 8, Hyrule Warriors, etc.) and it wouldn't make any marketing sense to present just-another-port in such a teasing, hype-building manner.

There's also the stylistic difference between Smash 4's initial trailer (and its character trailers) and this one.

The best logic so far seems to be that Nintendo has been fairly straightforward about identifying ports up front (examples: Pokken, Mariokart 8, Hyrule Warriors, etc.) and it wouldn't make any marketing sense to present just-another-port in such a teasing, hype-building manner.

There's also the stylistic difference between Smash 4's initial trailer (and its character trailers) and this one.

We'll see how it turns out but I prefer to rely more on actual evidence than speculation. If Nintendo were to be more clear on the details, then it would the proof to see where this game would be.

As far as cloud goes, it’d be better if it were bartz or terra or cecil as they represent Nintendo era FF and IV and VI are two of the more beloved games in the franchise, with V sadly being neglected exdeath and gilgamesh aside.
Also jack, dlc can be done right, nintendo usually does a good job with dlc (mario kart 8, pokken tournement DX, splatoon 2,) but sadly smash was NOT one of them, (for reference, it costs 60 dollars or so to get the all in one dlc pack for both consoles... when both games cost 60 dollars to begin with)
That being said, I would like amiibo to be dropped, as well as custom specials, and allow a compromise on that by still keeping mii classes in, but without any customising beyond class and mii.

I'm hoping Corrin does stay tbh. She's one of my mains and is quite fun lol.
Though has anyone thought of (special) move sets for potential newcomers?
For possible new Pokémon I can see Decidueye being the most likely out of the Starters. Up B would be Fly, Neutral B would obviously be Spirit Shackle (would likely work similar to Pits Bow), B < or > Phantom Force, and Down B could be Razor Leaf or Leaf Blade. The Final Smash would be Sinister Arrow Raid since it makes the most sense lol.
Revali would also be interesting but I'm only thinking of Revali's Gale for B up and something with the Divine Beast for his Final Smash.
Though it would be interesting if Link's Up B was changed to Revali's Gale if he doesn't make it lol

I'm hoping Corrin does stay tbh. She's one of my mains and is quite fun lol.
Though has anyone thought of (special) move sets for potential newcomers?
For possible new Pokémon I can see Decidueye being the most likely out of the Starters. Up B would be Fly, Neutral B would obviously be Spirit Shackle (would likely work similar to Pits Bow), B < or > Phantom Force, and Down B could be Razor Leaf or Leaf Blade. The Final Smash would be Sinister Arrow Raid since it makes the most sense lol.
Revali would also be interesting but I'm only thinking of Revali's Gale for B up and something with the Divine Beast for his Final Smash.
Though it would be interesting if Link's Up B was changed to Revali's Gale if he doesn't make it lol
I recall thinking up a moveset for professor layton
basically his defualt special is the slot machine gun from unwound future
his left or right special is using the shovel he whacked mummies with in miracle mask
his up special would be his mcguyver'd flying machine from eternal diva.
I'd prefer lucina get the axe and replaced with alm for the marth clone this time, because we already have robin, and gaiden only JUST got remade, so it'd make more sense for alm to replace lucina as the straight up clone. that and alm also has the falchion and moniker of the hero king much like marth.

We'll see how it turns out but I prefer to rely more on actual evidence than speculation. If Nintendo were to be more clear on the details, then it would the proof to see where this game would be.
Yeah, actual evidence at this point is ... ambiguous. Among some of the details people have noticed:
- Complete update of the smashbros.com site (the Wii U / 3DS page is still accessible, but now separate)
- Teaser copyright says "original game", however in copyright terms "original" always refers to the first/previous published entry, i.e. N64 Smash (the next Smash isn't copyright dated until published)
- New logo style, "working title" designation, "RP" ESRB label

I haven't really played Smash Wii U that much myself, even though I do own it, so if this is just a port, I probably won't bother with this, unless there's a lot of new, additional content in a re-released Switch port of Smash 4. But you might as well just call it a new game, if you're going to go that route. I'm not really picky for what new playable fighters could be added, but for new battle stages, I'd like something from Pokémon SM/USUM; something like an Island Trial challenge location or the Aether Paradise would be my vote.

As far as cloud goes, it’d be better if it were bartz or terra or cecil as they represent Nintendo era FF and IV and VI are two of the more beloved games in the franchise, with V sadly being neglected exdeath and gilgamesh aside.
I'd settle for a Gilgamesh trophy, if nothing else. This needs to happen.

Back
Top Bottom