• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like the games to go in a darker direction. We've never seen any T-rated Pokemon games before. There's always a first time for everything.

Reactions: D_S
I don't think Pokemon will ever get any darker than E10+ (and even that's a stretch), and I'm honestly fine with that. Not only do kids under ten make up a big chunk of the target audience, they've shown that they don't need a higher rating to tell a compelling, serious story. Obviously opinions on what makes a great story will differ somewhat here, but the majority considers BW and SM to have excellent plots, and honestly if they can get away with things like child abuse and attempted genocide under an E rating I see no reason to raise it.

And the seriousness of the plot, or really anything about the plot for that matter, has never been Pokemon's main draw. It's the Pokemon themselves and the collection/adventure gameplay that attracts the majority of fans, both young and old. That alone is enough to draw in plenty of older players.

Last edited:
I've always wanted a Pokemon game that was a little more like a western RPG or a tabletop game where you tell your character's own story, but I can understand why that isn't really feasible and is mostly reserved for existing as people's fanworks or comics. That being said, it'd be interesting if you could choose where you start your journey from (which city is your hometown? I think the headcanon/basically unstated canon that gym leaders have different teams that they use for trainers of different skill levels, so they could scale the levels based on where you choose to start) or have your decisions affect some of the outcome of the story. I feel like I would have enjoyed the X and Y friends a lot more if there was some element of choice- like, who would you like to be friends with? ALTHOUGH on second thought, I really never want Pokemon games to ever have a dating element, and that kind of mechanic might end up getting too close to that concept for my personal comfort.

EDIT: In agreement with Roselia R, I don't really think that Pokemon needs to get any darker. I want the quality of the stories to be high, obviously, but that doesn't always mean more adult. There's a lot of adult and dark things with terrible plots, or are dark for the sake of darkness, and that always feels insulting to me.

If the series got darker in a really well written way that didn't stay too far from the tone and ethos of what Pokemon is (a little like BW, perhaps?) I would be all for it. But I don't think it has to do that to tell good stories.

What do you think of this?(I know that that 0 & 1 leak was proven fake,and that Piuk believes the titles are You & Me)

Attachments

• 1522005909487.png
    1522005909487.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 103
I just wish the plot didn't have to be being the best AND saving the world.

These two paths need to converge into the same climax in order to be the most effective.

And as far as the story getting darker. I personally would love to see the story take a slightly more darker tone, as this guaruntees the character interaction will be equivalently tender (both towards friends and foes).

Reactions: D_S
tbh i don't really play pokemon for the story but i would like to see the darker side of the pokemon world.
necrozma stuff was in the right direction but still need to go beyond that.

These two paths need to converge into the same climax in order to be the most effective.

And as far as the story getting darker. I personally would love to see the story take a slightly more darker tone, as this guaruntees the character interaction will be equivalently tender (both towards friends and foes).

You know I think that is why BW worked so well for me. After saving the world from pokemon that could easily be called eldritch abominations, and have powers way beyond what we should be dealing with, becoming champion just doesn't really cut it. Personally I would love to have a game where this is actually brought up and have characters question why do we need the pokemon league if all they are going to do is just sit on their butts and do nothing while the evil team gets closer to taking over, or destroying the world. I could understand if the evil team was working in secret but often they are working in broad daylight and don't even have a good coverstory like Team Plasma, or Aether foundation, but usually they don't which makes everyone in universe not doing anything about them seem like an idiot.

If you're going to ask Pokemon to make sense, you'll die before that ever happens.

You know I think that is why BW worked so well for me. After saving the world from pokemon that could easily be called eldritch abominations, and have powers way beyond what we should be dealing with, becoming champion just doesn't really cut it. Personally I would love to have a game where this is actually brought up and have characters question why do we need the pokemon league if all they are going to do is just sit on their butts and do nothing while the evil team gets closer to taking over, or destroying the world. I could understand if the evil team was working in secret but often they are working in broad daylight and don't even have a good coverstory like Team Plasma, or Aether foundation, but usually they don't which makes everyone in universe not doing anything about them seem like an idiot.

I think that I would like for either the Elite 4 to help fight with you like Lance in GSC, or for the world save world plot/box legendary pokemon battle to be incumbent upon the player to defeat the Elite 4 as like a rite of passage.

Joe seems awfully confident that it's not Gen 8(and that's it's coming 2018)...

Attachments

• IMG_20180325_233113.png
    IMG_20180325_233113.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 127
Good for Joe!

No disrespect intended but at this point, literally anyone's opinion is just as valid and as valuable as his. We know nothing, he knows nothing.

(Also someone cannot mince another persons words. Only you can mince your own words. He means 'don't put words in my mouth' or something to that effect. See... he does get stuff wrong :p)

Joe seems awfully confident that it's not Gen 8(and that's it's coming 2018)...

Well, if its not Gen 8, I hope there's a lot of really cool stuff present in order to make it an enjoyable experience- like, maybe they can add some more animations for existing Pokemon, and re-implement Pokemon following behind (I'm honestly just expecting that straight-up at this point, considering that there are walking, running, and transitionary animations in SuMo for every Pokemon- there is zero excuse or reason for not re-implementing Pokemon following as far as I'm concerned). As I've stated before, I also would love to get more Pokeathlon-esque minigames- maybe they'd use the JoyCons instead of the touch screen instead, or something, but I love minigames, especially if they can give me prize points or ribbons for my Pokemon or something.

And as much as I love getting new Pokemon, I also do sort of lament how many there are, because that ensures that some Pokemon, out of necessity, don't get as much TLC put into their animations and models. (Please fix Audino... are its ears really supposed to be flat?? I always thought they were like flowers, and that the little curly stethoscope things came from inside of them, but the model just depicts the whole ear as flat- there's also issues like Chinchou's model having flat lanterns, and those absolutely look like they should be 3D teardrop shapes) That being said, I'm not ruling out new forms or megas yet either, and I will not be complaining if we do get new designs in some form or another.

But... he said that the game will not be a reboot, port or remake(I remember that he said something like that, if im wrong please tell me XD)and now he is more confident that it's not Gen 8... well, if it's not Gen 8, and it's not a reboot or remake, then what the hell this game i'ts supposed to be, a dating game? XD

But... he said that the game will not be a reboot, port or remake(I remember that he said something like that, if im wrong please tell me XD)and now he is more confident that it's not Gen 8... well, if it's not Gen 8, and it's not a reboot or remake, then what the hell this game i'ts supposed to be, a dating game? XD

Maybe its the fabled "a bunch of previous regions all in one game" game that fans have been wanting for years now, haha

I don't think they could fit all the regions into one game again, but if they could, I don't even know which one I'd pick to start in. I feel like I've used all the existing starters so many times before... but there are definitely places I'd love to revisit.

Or, it could just be a new region that has old Pokemon in it. Maybe most of which have new forms, like Alola, just no actual new species. Is that how the Orange Islands worked in the anime? I never actually watched it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom