• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad that it doesn't make sense for either of those version names to be used for a Johto game.

And that is why this rumor is most likely fake, epecially since it says Kanto is expanding West, while it can't, unless it takes in New Bark Town, which i doubt if both regions are in a different game.

I think that what's more likely is the version determining the main region. So you'd have one version with Kanto as the main region and Johto as the post-game one, and vice-versa for the second version.

And that is why this rumor is most likely fake, epecially since it says Kanto is expanding West, while it can't, unless it takes in New Bark Town, which i doubt if both regions are in a different game.
It says northwest. That's possible as it would mean some area north of Johto.

I only saw the Game informer interview, from last year, a few days ago; and it is very good during this period of time with no other information: to know that the new games could receive affirmatively/positively and clearly a response as they did as being open world-ish!

Red and Green, I would say, already began as open world-ish games; just sometimes more symbolically than having huge amounts of extra areas, there were/are still always so many possible paths and decisions, so much incentive to explore, experiment and revisit compared even to the similarly wonderful and timeless Link's Awakening!

So, it can at least be assured that they will be newly fulfulling the original format of the game, no matter what the region turns out to be.

Some thoughts I had
  • Autumnal Red just does not roll off the tongue at all for me lol
  • If Pokeride was making a reappearance, why put the Itemfinder back in the game?
  • "Trial like side-quests for various dungeons" sound ripped right out of BOTW
  • How would regional variants even work? If there's no new Pokemon being added, then they would have to be adding in regional variants of gen 3-7 into the Gen 1-2 games? That seems a little strange to me.

A month ago when the reboot rumor surfaced.

So I talked with them as I said I was going to do, and my source clarified what the Japanese Riddler said. Apparently, others were discussing about a potential reboot, which was something already causing confusion even back then, and apparently he implied it wasn't that what he was referring to when he posted the Rebootmon picture and said that "if anything, it would come to a soft reboot like Black and White", which means the picture is unrelated to that, and that was just his personal comment on the matter.
If it turns out it's a reboot anyways, don't burn me later for this though, I'm just a messenger and nothing more.

How would regional variants even work? If there's no new Pokemon being added, then they would have to be adding in regional variants of gen 3-7 into the Gen 1-2 games? That seems a little strange to me.
Why? Between the passage of time, different universe and new areas, would new variants really feel random? I think they could add a modest number of new Pokemon for the same reason.

Honestly, those are super cool titles for a seasonal game, but Unown Seer and TeaWest pointed out some huge issues with this one.
The Sun and the Moon simply represent male and female energies. The active power to give and the passive power to receive.
  1. Talking about how male energy is inherently active and female energy is inherently passive sounds like a lot of outdated sexism.
  2. Solgaleo and Lunala don't fit this at all. Not just because they're genderless, either, but because neither one of them is shown to be the one giving or receiving-they both play the exact same roles.
The Altar of the Sunne is also an obvious cross, representing both the sacrifice of the self at an altar and the crucifixion of the self in the cross, which is why Cosmoem evolves there into either cover mascot after breaking out of the egg, now embodying the true self, the "real Sun" (Sun = Son), so to speak.
  1. That pun only works in English. In French, for example, Soleil is sun and fils is son. It makes no sense for this connection to be only applicable in one language, especially when that's not even the original language of the games.
  2. The "real Sun" is only applicable to Pokemon Sun. In Pokemon Moon, the mascot is based on the moon. If this symbolism is really part of a massive plan spanning decades, why is it only relevant to half of the games in Gen 7?
The more you study and learn various things, without fear or perjudice,
I should study things without prejudice....to learn that male energy and female energy have certain roles? That's a philosophy commonly used not just to justify prejudice against women, but also against gay and trans people, too. As a gay man, I'm gonna give it a hard pass.

Last edited:
Why? Between the passage of time, different universe and new areas, would new variants really feel random? I think they could add a modest number of new Pokemon for the same reason.

I'm mostly thinking from a biology perspective I guess. For me regional variants made sense in SM because the game takes place on an isolated island, meaning that some Pokemon like Ratatta, Meowth, etc. once got separated onto Alola a long time ago and adapted to their new environment over a long period of time (like Darwinism).

In Johto and Kanto, the species pool has already been established in previous games, so adding new variants from other generations when only 12 years has passed doesn't sound right to me. It'd be like an "invasive species" being introduced from... Unova, lets say, and changing into a regional variant within the 12 years that have passed since HGSS according to the leak.

I'm probably reading into it too much though :) It's not like the games have ever made sense biologically anyway. Like, "HOLY COW we just discovered 100 new Pokemon literally one region over from Kanto"

Each version having a different region doesn't seem like something that would happen.
I agree. GameFreak would prefer to have players visit Kanto and Johto in one game (like in Gen II and HGSS) than force the fanbase to choose between either region. It wouldn't feel complete otherwise, in my opinion.

So does that mean that ALL the mystery merch was Zeraora?

So does that mean that ALL the mystery merch was Zeraora?
I think this means that no new mysteries are meant to appear. The only real interesting mystery apart from the zeraora ones however was the eevee gimmick that now we know is most likely the bandage.

The biggest issue I have with that leak is the pricing. I don't own a switch but everyone says that the games are $60. Ignoring that even bundling, being only 79.99 would not make sense. That's too cheap. Gen VII bundles were literally the price of both games. And never do they make digital download cheaper.

Then there is the whole one region per game. They fit Kanto and Johto into one game in Gen II then pulled it off again in Gen IV. In Gen III they added the Sevii Islands to Kanto. The switch is a console. As in being advertised to be like Playstation and Xbox. There is no way that the game can't handle two regions when console games have handled a lot more than what pokemon gives. And a little bit of expansion to the regions like B2W2 is well...small. It's hardly anything that would make each region super huge and unable to fit in one game together.

Honestly, those are super cool titles for a seasonal game, but Unown Seer and TeaWest pointed out some huge issues with this one.

1. Talking about how male energy is inherently active and female energy is inherently passive sounds like a lot of outdated sexism.
  2. Solgaleo and Lunala don't fit this at all. Not just because they're genderless, either, but because neither one of them is shown to be the one giving or receiving-they both play the exact same roles.

1. That pun only works in English. In French, for example, Soleil is sun and fils is son. It makes no sense for this connection to be only applicable in one language, especially when that's not even the original language of the games.
  2. The "real Sun" is only applicable to Pokemon Sun in Pokemon Moon, the mascot is based on the moon. If this symbolism is really part of a massive plan spanning decades, why is it only relevant to half of the games in Gen 7?

I should study things without prejudice....to learn that male energy and female energy have certain roles? That's a philosophy commonly used not just to justify prejudice against women, but also against gay and trans people, too. As a gay man, I'm gonna give it a hard pass.

Look, first of all I'm not trying to discriminate against anyone, so I don't know why you are feeling offended.
Second, you must look at it from an historical and scientific point of view.
As you certainly know by now, in times of old long past, men would be the warrior, hunter, worker, and gatherer, while the women would be at home taking care of the kids and some crops, making food, and overall supporting the man because he provided for the family.
Scientifically, a baby can only be produced by merging a spermatozoon with an ovum, which are respectively associated with men and women.
So inheriting the symbolism means bringing that baggage along with it. I know that it doesn't fit in with the requirements of our modern society, but still, it's what it is and has its own value to those who value it.
Third, Solgaleo is actually made more prominent in the anime, where the altar is called the Altar of the Sunne, not the Moone.
From the Dex entries you should know that Solgaleo -> "This Pokémon is said to be a male evolution of Cosmog.", Lunala -> "It is said to be a female evolution of Cosmog", and whether you want to acknowledge it or not, males are symbolically represented by the sun, day, and force, while females are represented by the moon, night and form, among other things.
Since they are version exclusives, of course Game Freak needs to adapt this to fit both sides in the games, and even then the process for females is verily the same as it's for males, so it's not really a problem.
Fourth, what you call a pun wasn't a pun, it's an association of themes. The Sephirah of Tiphereth is both connected to the Sun as a planet and giver of life force and the biblical Son and its many variations, be them Jesus, Buddha, etc., so effectively that makes the Sun = Son true in all languages, just happens to work better in English because of how similar the words are. Cosmoem is the Son that is the Sun metaphorically speaking.
Fifth, the "real Sun" just means that a person accepts its shadow self and gains a better understanding of life and the spiritual world, becoming enlightened, therefore you could say they become "bright like the Sun", doesn't mean we are talking about the actual planet Sun here. So Cosmoem evolving to either one doesn't really matter, it just means he transcended the physical realm, in a sense. And like I said, the anime puts emphasis on it being Solgaleo and the Altar of the Sunne because it fits the symbolism better, while the games are forced to make due with what they can due to being dual versions.
Finally, I wasn't saying that you yourself should study, because I don't rule your life, that's something for you to decide. I just said it in the general sense that depending on the time a person spends acquiring knowledge, the better perception he/she will have of various things.
Once again, sorry if it sounded like I was offending anyone by using old things to explain a game's concept, that was never my intent.
I also think we should shelf this conversation about symbolism because this isn't the thread for that, but do what thou wilt.

I'm probably reading into it too much though :) It's not like the games have ever made sense biologically anyway. Like, "HOLY COW we just discovered 100 new Pokemon literally one region over from Kanto"
Don't forget hundreds of Pokemon appearing in Hoenn as soon as the Cave of Origin emitted its energy.

Disregarding the AU angle which is a little cheap, they could just establish that the mountainous areas were previously cut-off from Kanto/Johto (in the sense that hardly anyone explored them) and there were always special Pokemon there. Over the past 10+ years, those areas and Pokemon have been incorporated into the two regions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom