• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What should the next pair of games be called?

I'm not good at science. I don't even know what's those things are
Haha no biggy! They’re the parts that make up an atom. The nucleus has protons and neutrons, and the electrons orbit the nucleus. Protons have a positive charge while electrons have a negative charge, and neutrons having no charge. That’s why I thought electron would work better than neutron, since it would make that positive/negative thing.

Haha no biggy! They’re the parts that make up an atom. The nucleus has protons and neutrons, and the electrons orbit the nucleus. Protons have a positive charge while electrons have a negative charge, and neutrons having no charge. That’s why I thought electron would work better than neutron, since it would make that positive/negative thing.

Oh lol I thought Neutrons are the negative ones cause they make up the nucleus with the protons. And then Electron can be the third game

It seems as if though almost every idea has been explored within this thread, so what about Night and Day? Somewhat silly, I know, but I sincerely can't think of anything else!
Isn't that basically the same as Sun and Moon?

Remember that Plus and Minus leak that turned out to be fake?

Pokémon 2003 and Pokémon Brotherhood.

It really depends on what the next game(s) would be, right?

Going ahead and making assumptions based on rumors going around lately, along with my own speculation:

It looks to be a new Kanto/Johto story, one that will most likely pickup the Rainbow Rocket plot thread. The heavy Eevee focus has me thinking the main character starts with an Eevee, in a sort of inverse of Yellow-- which is nice, as Eevee's the only starter we've never actually been able to start with.

If it's a paired game, which seems more likely-- I vote Pokemon East and West. A game that contrasts the more metropolitan and genetics/technology-focused Kanto with the traditional, spiritual Johto.

But with the move to a home console for the first time, I think it's at least possible that they try for a single release. I had taken B2W2 as a signal that they were done with unpaired games entirely (I never believed Z was coming), but this may be a special case. I'd be surprised, but you never know.

In which case, I have several ideas:

If you're making a new Kanto game, you'd probably use the old color-based naming scheme. If you're bringing Kanto into the modern era, the obvious cover mascot to me is Mewtwo. He occupies the same role in the game that other cover mascots from gen 2 and up have had. Mewtwo's really the only endboss Pokemon that hasn't been on the cover of a mainline game. If Mewtwo's on the cover, I'd think the game would be called Pokemon Violet.

(Pokemon Purple
is also possible, and one of the most recently added Pokemon being named Poipole could almost feel like a hint in this direction, but I just don't think the title sounds as good as Violet).

But another thing to consider is that, rather than making Kanto no longer the odd-man-out, you could lean into the "starter on the cover for Kanto games" thing and put Eevee on the cover. After all, we had the Pikachu version and now this would be the Eevee version. But "Brown" sounds terrible, so I started looking up synonyms. I could get on board with Pokemon Hazel.

And if you wanted to add Johto-significance, I guess you could do something like Pokemon Bronze. It's brown for Eevee and it's a precious metal like the gen 2 games. I'm not as fond of it though.

But then you could also consider that the cover legends for the Kanto games (other than Yellow) weren't just weird because they were starters and not legends, but they were the final evolutions to the starters. So maybe instead of Eevee, you could put all its evolutions on the cover? A game cover that looks like EvoBoost or that T-shirt with the Eevee jumping through a prism would be neat. Really emphasizes what's unique about Eevee.

In which case, I think the title would have to be Pokemon Rainbow, which I've been mentally restricting myself from guessing up until now because 1. it doesn't sound very cool, and 2. in my mind, they kind of already used it? But that's actually not true at all, as Niji is an internal codename that the public was never supposed to know (and no one but diehard fans would). The title would have a double meaning as this is almost certainly a game with a big Rainbow Rocket focus. I think it's at least possible.

Anyway, I'm not leaning towards any of these in particular, I'm just spitballing.

Last edited:
I doubt the next games will be a single release- The Pokemon Day Countdown's entry for 2 was '2 Versions', which makes it clear that GameFreak considers 2 versions an intregal part of the Pokemon experience.

Pokemon Left/Pokemon Right
Pokemon Rose/Pokemon Violet
Pokemon Orange/Pokemon Purple
Pokemon Gay/Pokemon Straight(/Pokemon Bisexual)
Pokemon Ana/Pokemon Kata
Pokemon Magnets/Pokemon Miracles
Pokemon Go/Pokemon Stop
Pokemon Cops/Pokemon Robbers
Pokemon If/Pokemon Then
Pokemon Butt/Pokemon Head

It really depends on what the next game(s) would be, right?

Going ahead and making assumptions based on rumors going around lately, along with my own speculation:

It looks to be a new Kanto/Johto story, one that will most likely pickup the Rainbow Rocket plot thread. The heavy Eevee focus has me thinking the main character starts with an Eevee, in a sort of inverse of Yellow-- which is nice, as Eevee's the only starter we've never actually been able to start with.

If it's a paired game, which seems more likely-- I vote Pokemon East and West. A game that contrasts the more metropolitan and genetics/technology-focused Kanto with the traditional, spiritual Johto.

But with the move to a home console for the first time, I think it's at least possible that they try for a single release. I had taken B2W2 as a signal that they were done with unpaired games entirely (I never believed Z was coming), but this may be a special case. I'd be surprised, but you never know.

In which case, I have several ideas:

If you're making a new Kanto game, you'd probably use the old color-based naming scheme. If you're bringing Kanto into the modern era, the obvious cover mascot to me is Mewtwo. He occupies the same role in the game that other cover mascots from gen 2 and up have had. Mewtwo's really the only endboss Pokemon that hasn't been on the cover of a mainline game. If Mewtwo's on the cover, I'd think the game would be called Pokemon Violet.

(Pokemon Purple
is also possible, and one of the most recently added Pokemon being named Poipole could almost feel like a hint in this direction, but I just don't think the title sounds as good as Violet).

But another thing to consider is that, rather than making Kanto no longer the odd-man-out, you could lean into the "starter on the cover for Kanto games" thing and put Eevee on the cover. After all, we had the Pikachu version and now this would be the Eevee version. But "Brown" sounds terrible, so I started looking up synonyms. I could get on board with Pokemon Hazel.

And if you wanted to add Johto-significance, I guess you could do something like Pokemon Bronze. It's brown for Eevee and it's a precious metal like the gen 2 games. I'm not as fond of it though.

But then you could also consider that the cover legends for the Kanto games (other than Yellow) weren't just weird because they were starters and not legends, but they were the final evolutions to the starters. So maybe instead of Eevee, you could put all its evolutions on the cover? A game cover that looks like EvoBoost or that T-shirt with the Eevee jumping through a prism would be neat. Really emphasizes what's unique about Eevee.

In which case, I think the title would have to be Pokemon Rainbow, which I've been mentally restricting myself from guessing up until now because 1. it doesn't sound very cool, and 2. in my mind, they kind of already used it? But that's actually not true at all, as Niji is an internal codename that the public was never supposed to know (and no one but diehard fans would). The title would have a double meaning as this is almost certainly a game with a big Rainbow Rocket focus. I think it's at least possible.

Anyway, I'm not leaning towards any of these in particular, I'm just spitballing.
I love the time and thought you put into this explanation. It makes sense, it’s clear, and it’s absolutley a brilliant idea. Thank you for that. :D

Additionally, Kanto needs to be brought into the modern era. I love the old games, make no mistake, but the magic of the region is fading with every new generation. A throwback to the grassroots of the series is just what the franchise needs. I understand that this is just speculation, but I could see a huge surge in popularity for these games if this comes to pass. I’ll certainly stand behind it.

Pokemon Yes and Pokemon No.

In Pokemon Yes, after creating your character, you answer yes to every question you're asked. (Better pick the starter you want right away!) In Pokemon No, after creating your character, you answer no to every question you're asked-even the ones like "Would you like a Pokemon of your own?" You make your way to Champion by flat-out declining the Elite Four's options of battle. The evil team can't fight you, because you just refuse to let them try.

Trading between the two games is a nightmare-Pokemon Yes players always select the first Pokemon the click on, and Pokemon No trainers can't even complete a trade, having to hit "No" every time the game asks if this trade is okay. (Not that they have any Pokemon to begin with, having said "no" to the catching tutorial)

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom