• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
gen 8.PNG

This is what bores me. Nintendo has 3 big franchises: Mario, Zelda and Pokemon. The first two on the switch were revolutionary in both graphic and gameplay.
And then there's pokemon: we cannot expect amazing graphic cause it's pokemon; we cannot expect an open world or a new form of gameplay cause it's pokemon; we cannot even expect a new region or new pokemon apparently. What the hell can we expect? It's like these games have to be mediocre for some major reason.

I'll say it again: that GF probably wanted to play safe for the first main titles on a home console is a thing but a kanto remake with s/m graphic is something that I cannot litteraly stand. It's basically like fusing a 22 years ago game with the graphic of a 2 years old game. It would be the most boring thing ever made in a franchise. Pokemon Switch? Let's better call it Pokemon Unswitched.
I don't feel like making a "safe" entry is such a good idea, either... if you're playing it safe by pulling up old material and reformatting it with a slightly different twist, then you're kinda underselling yourself? I mean, we know they're capable of more than that. They could put out an outstanding first entry for the Switch that really goes above and beyond what they already have... but instead they're going to make their first entry into the home console market a familiar snooze fest? Kanto does not have a particularly interesting or enriching environment, even if you were to amp it up in 3D and add a few new areas.

This is what bores me. Nintendo has 3 big franchises: Mario, Zelda and Pokemon. The first two on the switch were revolutionary in both graphic and gameplay.
And then there's pokemon: we cannot expect amazing graphic cause it's pokemon; we cannot expect an open world or a new form of gameplay cause it's pokemon; we cannot even expect a new region or new pokemon apparently. What the hell can we expect? It's like these games have to be mediocre for some major reason.

I'll say it again: that GF probably wanted to play safe for the first main titles on a home console is a thing but a kanto remake with s/m graphic is something that I cannot litteraly stand. It's basically like fusing a 22 years ago game with the graphic of a 2 years old game. It would be the most boring thing ever made in a franchise. Pokemon Switch? Let's better call it Pokemon Unswitched.

It’s GF. Their second name is “LazyDesign”. Because they are lazy or unprepared. In USUM we still have many bugs like: character that can be stucked forever, totem with wrong battle cry, some totems that cannot enter the bank and others that can (because they blacklisted some by mistake), hack checks that are ... that are not hack checks. I can continue, have we seen a patch? Yes, one that fixed gamebreaking battle moves bug but not the other things. They are lazy. And USUM is the proof imo

If we cannot believe in progress, then what the hell are we doing?

Also they does not hear feedbacks from the fans. Many other companies have simple way to report bugs or ideas. TPCI has not. I have tried many times to report the bank blacklist problem: I was not able to contact them. Via tpci site they say to write to Nintendo. From Nintendo support they say to write to tpci. Nobody cares. The twitter accounts don’t answer to people, they are in an isolated bubble, maybe they live on another planet

It’s GF. Their second name is “LazyDesign”. Because they are lazy or unprepared. In USUM we still have many bugs like: character that can be stucked forever, totem with wrong battle cry, some totems that cannot enter the bank and others that can (because they blacklisted some by mistake), hack checks that are ... that are not hack checks. I can continue, have we seen a patch? Yes, one that fixed gamebreaking battle moves bug but not the other things. They are lazy. And USUM is the proof imo

I don't think they're lazy- I'd honestly be loathe to call any big name Japanese studio lazy, since most of what I've heard about working conditions in Japan is 'brutal hours, high expectations'. I'll definitely admit that they are capable of making mistakes and poor decisions though, I just don't think I'd call them lazy ones- lazy is Bethesda rereleasing Skyrim over and over for years onto new systems without ever fixing old known bugs that players have been complaining about since the game first released. I'd guess that the fact that the current bugs in USUM aren't patched yet speaks more to them focusing their time elsewhere and neglecting USUM a bit, which isn't great, but I have trouble believing that the people there are too lazy to do it.

Also, I think that as an older game design studio, there just isn't really a solid system in place for fan feedback- I think that's a fairly new practice, and I DO think that Gamefreak, as well as most of Nintendo in general, have always been fairly closed off and distant from their audience, with the exception of games like Splatoon where they have to maintain the online community and content to support ongoing community involvement (Pokemon obviously has an online community as well that requires maintenance and upkeep and event planning, but its way less work to maintain than a shooter like Splatoon that needs to have 8 player matchmaking and is mostly built for online play, with the single player campaign coming secondary to the online game)

Also they does not hear feedbacks from the fans. Many other companies have simple way to report bugs or ideas. TPCI has not. I have tried many times to report the bank blacklist problem: I was not able to contact them. Via tpci site they say to write to Nintendo. From Nintendo support they say to write to tpci. Nobody cares. The twitter accounts don’t answer to people, they are in an isolated bubble, maybe they live on another planet
Customer service is certainly a problem, at least on the English side of things- I contacted them about the damn March legendary distribution (what a mess) and basically got a response saying that it was my fault and then nothing when I replied back that it wasn't.

I wonder if the Japan branch doesn't respond better, though.

It's also probably fair to assume that outside of Japan, the company attitude is basically that of distributors- they don't want to bother with having to fix the product because they didn't make the product, so they just keep pointing customers around to someone else until they eventually give up.

Last edited:

I wouldn't call them lazy. Despite pokemon being as massive as it is, gamefreak is a smaller company than people realize (118 as of last year, probably higher now due to the switch game, but still) and they are ambitious on their own terms. They can be backwards with some of their decisions as you've mentioned, but there's still clear progress with every generation they put out.

Watching Masuda and Ohmori's interview with gameinformer, they're very aware of the expectations people have of them moving to switch so I don't think they'll half-ass the games like people are expecting with a probable 2018 release. If we're revisiting an old region, I'm sure they'll find a way to surprise us, and if not, then it would be time to riot. We really need concrete information before jumping to conclusions.

and to be fair. yes I agree that USUM was basically filler, but it did offer more and add more than previous third versions.

I remember Cydonia pointing out that during the flashback of Hapu grandma you can clearly see in the background two trainers in Pony wilds that are there despite the memory takes place 50 years early. Like too lazy to simply remove them.
Go to 2:40

I found XY utterly underwhelming and take issue with the notion that a sequel that balanced Kanto and Johto and expanded both, would be less interesting. I am not hungry for new Pokemon just two years after SM, but I still expect to see some.

InfernapeTheWise said:
When were Volcanion and Genesect announced for TCG?It was the same year as SM and XY iirc.
Feels like they're trying to get Zeraora out of the way fast.
Volcanion and especially Genesect were revealed much earlier than Zeraora, but the TCG announcements were probably around April.

I remember Cydonia pointing out that during the flashback of Hapu grandma you can clearly see in the background two trainers in Pony wilds that are there despite the memory takes place 50 years early. Like too lazy to simply remove them.

Yeah I am talking about stuff like this. Maybe lazy is not the right word, but they are not prepared, or they do things without 100% effort. This is an example. They live in an old videogame industry structure but it’s time to move on. And I’m sure that if the switch game will be bad (as, for example, the lapras image) or not the revolution we need, they will face consequences. Because they are late. I laugh thinking that after yo kai watch added the boss battles, they decided to add the totem battles. Because it’s really difficult to think about a powerful Pokémon that maybe has some boosts, we need to see if others can do that, then we can copy them.

the only reason I'm hungry for new pokemon/new generation so soon after S/M is because we've been getting less and less pokemon. It doesn't help that a large portion of S/M's dex was legendaries so the dex ended up feeling even smaller then X/Y's dex.

I'm hoping if the next generation features a small dex as well, not too much pokemon are revealed before release.

edit: and yeah both Volcanion and Genesect were revealed for the TCG the same year new generations launched.

About this Nintendo Spain thing,I'm sure it is not new and was discussed a while back.The guy has written some inaccuracies in the past iirc.Or am I thinking of a different case?Isn't this the one with the Yellow cover you're talking about?
Yeah basically that magazine and the one that claimed we could revisit Sinnoh in USUM are from the same company (since they have several magazines going on) so I would not put that much faith on it.

d5tGp1n.png

Yeah I am talking about stuff like this. Maybe lazy is not the right word, but they are not prepared, or they do things without 100% effort. This is an example. They live in an old videogame industry structure but it’s time to move on. And I’m sure that if the switch game will be bad (as, for example, the lapras image) or not the revolution we need, they will face consequences. Because they are late. I laugh thinking that after yo kai watch added the boss battles, they decided to add the totem battles. Because it’s really difficult to think about a powerful Pokémon that maybe has some boosts, we need to see if others can do that, then we can copy them.
I think it's just more of a case of a WW release throwing everything off.
In the past, the Japanese version of Pokemon games were filled with glitches that TPCI would fix when they bought it to the West but now that everyone is on the same page, that's harder to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom