• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty positive he knew this would happen. I'm almost positive that the true teasing and hinting will come after the countdown ends and he starts drawing more in his tweets. He's not dumb. I'm sure he planned for this and is ready to draw. I would be willing to bet the drawings after the countdown will be more hint-y than even the ones we already have. That's just my guess tho

Gen 2 had 251 Mons. It didnt reach the third Hundred. So no pattern there to break.
I think you misunderstood.

Gen 2 crossed the 200 Pokemon mark, leading the amount of Pokemon over the second hundred mark. Gen 3 did this hy crossing 300, Gen 4 with 400, Gen 5 with the 500th and 600th Pokemon, Gen 6 with the 700th (Sylveon) and Gen 7 with the 800th (Necrozma).

If Gen 8 doesn't introduce the 900th Pokemon, the pattern will break.

I think it really all depends on what a reboot means.
In Gen V, the artist had a hard time creating new mons with some like Basculin being made just to fill a quota.
I imagine that they never want to go through that again
A reboot, in the traditional sense, means to start fresh and get rid of everything that has come before. In this case, this will most likely mean resetting the Pokedex count and getting rid of all already existing Pokemon.

A reboot, in the traditional sense, means to start fresh and get rid of everything that has come before. In this case, this will most likely mean resetting the Pokedex count and getting rid of all already existing Pokemon.
that's something they'll never do

Serebii is continuing with his "not Gen 8?""what defines a new gen?" teasing in ResetEra.Does he really know something?
I think you misunderstood.

Gen 2 crossed the 200 Pokemon mark, leading the amount of Pokemon over the second hundred mark. Gen 3 did this hy crossing 300, Gen 4 with 400, Gen 5 with the 500th and 600th Pokemon, Gen 6 with the 700th (Sylveon) and Gen 7 with the 800th (Necrozma).

If Gen 8 doesn't introduce the 900th Pokemon, the pattern will break.

Gee, I never realized that! Ayway, with all the talk lately on pokemon generations, I was thinking about what they meant to me, like how I defined them, or whatever. I guess it's mostly a fan term, and there's probably a bunch that goes into the meaning of it, but to me, it's really about new pokemon, especially the starters. Like, every generation so far has had starters, some pokemon, and the mythicals or legends.
Gen 1 Bulbasaur to Mew, with no new pokemon in yellow
Gen 2 Chicorita to Celebi, with no new pokemon in crystal
Gen 3 Treeco to Deoxys, with no new pokemon in emerald or fr/lg
Gen 4 Turtwig to Arceus, with no new pokemon in platinum or hg/ss
Gen 5 Snivy to Genesect, with no new pokemon in bw2
Gen 6 Chespin to Volcanion with no new pokemon in as/or
Gen 7 Rowlet to Marshadow
But then ultra sun and moon added 5 new mythicals or ultra beasts, but no regular pokemon or starters, so it was kind of like the same batch anyway, even though they held a few back for the sequels? And even though DP and BW, and XY and SM were on the same systems, they both had new starters, and regular pokemon with mythicals, even though they were close in graphics and stuff. That's the way I like to think of it, like starters are the start of something new? So if the switch game is a reboot or sequel, if it has new starters and all it could still be a new gen. I'd like more different stuff too, though.

Last edited:
it means the need to do like 94 new mons for gen 8, which i don't think they can.
Well, looking at the last 2 games, it sure doesn't seem likely. But they coulda been saving some for other games, or deciding to hold baack some for more work. I always hope for a hundred or more, cuz it really adds to the pokemon world feeling real with more creatures to see! It's really funny how we really don't know anything right now, but with Pokémon it's like there always seems to be patterns we can usually look at. It really is exciting that anything could happen still.

unless it's a past region, like kanto that limited the pokemon in the region, probably new forms like Alolan formes for Kanto pokemon, if the kanto reboot thing turns out to be true.

Well, looking at the last 2 games, it sure doesn't seem likely. But they coulda been saving some for other games, or deciding to hold baack some for more work. I always hope for a hundred or more, cuz it really adds to the pokemon world feeling real with more creatures to see! It's really funny how we really don't know anything right now, but with Pokémon it's like there always seems to be patterns we can usually look at. It really is exciting that anything could happen still.

I agree- even when we get Pokemon that are similar to older Pokemon, like Basculin (as much as I find Basculin kind of boring) it feels like it adds a lot to the Pokemon world and makes it feel more real. It's not always the greatest from a gameplay perspective (like, I get that baby Pokemon don't add anything competitively) but its nice for world building, and I'm personally willing to deal with there being a few Pokemon I'm not fond of in exchange for a greater variety of species in the world, most of which I tend to end up appreciating in one way or another.

I agree- even when we get Pokemon that are similar to older Pokemon, like Basculin (as much as I find Basculin kind of boring) it feels like it adds a lot to the Pokemon world and makes it feel more real. It's not always the greatest from a gameplay perspective (like, I get that baby Pokemon don't add anything competitively) but its nice for world building, and I'm personally willing to deal with there being a few Pokemon I'm not fond of in exchange for a greater variety of species in the world, most of which I tend to end up appreciating in one way or another.
Yeah, absolutely! I love Machamp and Conkeldur, and even though they have stats that are close and attacks, they're both totally different and have their own lore and style! I really do like the world building in gen 5, maybe a little more than the others.

oh yeah, and when you go to different parts of the world, you see different animals than what we have, but they can be very similar looking or do the same stuff in that environment. That's why it's important what black and white did, I think.

Last edited:
Thats a sunday
So mabye October 26th for NA & Japan. Pokemon games usually come out a few days later in europe
Interesting
Nah its not an actual release date just a place holder someone comments that on his place the placeholder is june 26 this just confirms that 2018 is almost a shoein at this point.

it means the need to do like 94 new mons for gen 8, which i don't think they can.

Again, also worth noting that if you add Alolan forms to the total of new pokemon added in Gen 7, the total comes out to 104. So they can absolutely release 100+ new pokemon, they would just have to cut back on the new forms this time around.

Personally, I hope they don't, because I'd rather get more regional variants. D=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom