• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, also worth noting that if you add Alolan forms to the total of new pokemon added in Gen 7, the total comes out to 104. So they can absolutely release 100+ new pokemon, they would just have to cut back on the new forms this time around.

Personally, I hope they don't, because I'd rather get more regional variants. D=
I don't consider Alola Forms new Pokemon. They don't have their own dex slots.

Sure, but in terms of new designs introduced requiring new models to be added to the game, they absolutely contribute to the total of new additions- which is my point in counting them. They haven't stopped adding 100+ new designs to the game. In Gen 6, we had mega forms take up some of the total and in Gen 7 we had regional variants. If they don't make a ton of new forms for Gen 8, then we could get 100+ new pokemon because they never stopped producing 100+ new designs.

Well pokemon company consider them as a new pokemon so you can't argue with that also every pokemon form is apparently a new pokemon in their definition so that is something you cannot decide on your own.

So that concludes that they never released a generation with under a hundred pokemon released

Sure, but in terms of new designs introduced requiring new models to be added to the game, they absolutely contribute to the total of new additions- which is my point in counting them. They haven't stopped adding 100+ new designs to the game. In Gen 6, we had mega forms take up some of the total and in Gen 7 we had regional variants. If they don't make a ton of new forms for Gen 8, then we could get 100+ new pokemon because they never stopped producing 100+ new designs.
They do show clear concern about the amount of new Pokemon there are.

Well pokemon company consider them as a new pokemon so you can't argue with that also every pokemon form is apparently a new pokemon in their definition so that is something you cannot decide on your own.

So that concludes that they never released a generation with under a hundred pokemon released
Where did you hear that? Alola Forms are not new Pokemon. They don't have their own National Pokedex Number.
Do they? Not to be rude, just wondering if you have a source for that because I'd like to see it. =/
I heard about it somewhere but I forgot where exactly.

True, but to me it's kinda felt like they were making new pokemon, without making new pokemon if that makes sense. Say like Alolan Sandshrew, it's 2 totally different types, with some different stats and attacks. It even looks a bit different, say compared to a mega evolution or whatever. I bet with a whole different design/creature, it'd be no different than any other 2 pokemon line. That's why I'm not a big fan of the variants, cuz I 'd rather see split evolutions instead. They're okay though, and different too.

Official or fake, all these leaks we keep getting kinda give me the feeling that Gen8 might be released later this year. Also, SM series really don't have much left, as most of the episodes we have had so far have been fillers.
I think there will be a new pair of games for Gen8 and not a reboot. The reboot game might be the third game released. M20 and M21 maybe foreshadow this!?

I would love if we got new regional forms (dragon retyped pls) and evos/prevos of older pokemon, eeveelutions and the thing I've been asking since gen 5: mid-battle evolutions. (Gyms are a must)

Where did you hear that? Alola Forms are not new Pokemon. They don't have their own National Pokedex Number.

Every time they introduce a new form they always use the word "new pokemon discovered" even if it is just a simple form change so that right there merits that they consider them new pokemon also every form has separate Dex entry starting sun and moon

Every time they introduce a new form they always use the word "new pokemon discovered" even if it is just a simple form change so that right there merits that they consider them new pokemon also every form has separate Dex entry starting sun and moon
I am talking about National Pokedex numbers. If Alola Forms were new Pokemon they would have gotten their own National Pokedex numbers but the don't, so they are not new Pokemon and just forms.

Right, and to add to that, the Alolan forms are permenant so their more like new pokemon than a change of form anyway, I think.

That's because you most likely heard it from other fans, fans who are scared to death that Game Freak will run out of ideas. I have not once come across an official statement from people at Game Freak saying "we don't want to make too many Pokemon".

The only thing that's been said recently is that during an interview about ORAS, that they eventually wanted to "go back to simplicity". Even that statement alone is kinda vague and they never went into detail about what that meant exactly.

I am talking about National Pokedex numbers. If Alola Forms were new Pokemon they would have gotten their own National Pokedex numbers but the don't, so they are not new Pokemon and just forms.
They're pretty much new pokemon when you talk about gameplay though, right? It's another choice to use alolan variants, and have different types and everything. Marowak and Alolan Marowak are nothing alike in most ways, I'd say. You're right about no new numbers though, cuz they've been discovered already, even though there's a new version of them, I guess.

Oh that's fair. Just was wondering because adding new forms works both somewhat as a limiter keeping the number down (though if you have to collect regional variants to catch them all anyway, it's not like it changes the total much) and as a unique world-building concept.

I mean, regional variants especially tell us something about the pokemon world- species are able to adapt to new environments and change as a result! That's fascinating and means that familiar pokemon could turn up in radically different environments than what we're used to them being in. WHAT IF FISH GROW LEGS? The (absurd) possibilities!

That's because you most likely heard it from other fans, fans who are scared to death that Game Freak will run out of ideas. I have not once come across an official statement from people at Game Freak saying "we don't want to make too many Pokemon".

The only thing that's been said recently is that during an interview about ORAS, that they eventually wanted to "go back to simplicity". Even that statement alone is kinda vague and they never went into detail about what that meant exactly.
It could be a legitimate concern. There's 807 now. I heard that the amount of new Pokemon was why the National Dex was put in Bank. That, and they wanted to recreate the feel of catching a Pokemon in Gen 1.

Alolan forms have different typings, different designs, different abilities and movepool than their original forms.

For all intents and purposes, they re new pokemon.
They are not new Pokemon. They don't have a unique National Pokedex number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom