• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s really interesting

Come close to 10-15 years ago, magazines, admins of forums and webmasters of sites like serebii had access to a wealth of information and data the public couldn’t and knew more than the general public, now with the rise of social media and how the industry has changed, the general public knows just as much if not more than admins and webmasters of dedicated sites and forums.

I’ve noticed this with recent switch leaks and news, the once credible sources are quite often the last to know.

Makes me curious on who will leak Pokémon switch news / the direct first or the hint of its existence.
We also had a huge difference 10-15 years ago where everything there was to know was already released in Japan by the time it was any relevant to us. Now we're all on the same page, so information is moving at a much different rate- webmasters don't get the luxury of getting it well before the rest of the world anymore.

I do have a question though:

Assuming that a leak contains true information, what do the leakers gain from leaking confidential content? Followers? Fame? Are they paid to leak such important information from someone? Is it part of a clever marketing tactic by the game company to get consumers hyped up and prepare their wallets?

I'm not trying to criticize anyone, but I'm genuinely curious about the existence of leaks before official announcements of upcoming games. The last option isn't anything new; there are examples of phone models having been leaked intentionally for marketing purposes before their official announcements, so I'm wondering if GF or Nintendo have agreed with the leaks beforehand.

We also had a huge difference 10-15 years ago where everything there was to know was already released in Japan by the time it was any relevant to us. Now we're all on the same page, so information is moving at a much different rate- webmasters don't get the luxury of getting it well before the rest of the world anymore.

Exactly right :)

Assuming that a leak contains true information, what do the leakers gain from leaking confidential content? Followers? Fame? Are they paid to leak such important information from someone? Is it part of a clever marketing tactic by the game company to get consumers hyped up and prepare their wallets?

I'm not trying to criticize anyone, but I'm genuinely curious about the existence of leaks before official announcements of upcoming games. The last option isn't anything new; there are examples of phone models having been leaked intentionally for marketing purposes before their official announcements, so I'm wondering if GF or Nintendo have agreed with the leaks beforehand.

This has crossed my mind several times. IIRC during an interview talking about the Switch, Masuda and (I forgot who the other guy was) were shown browsing through an Internet forum(they pointed at a post specifically talking about open-world exploration). So it's not like they're not aware that leaks and rumors are being discussed among fans. I honestly think they do have somebody that does go on forums and drops "leaks" to get the hype train going.

If that was their intention, they fucked up royally, which is why I don't believe ANYTHING we've been told by ANYONE is real. If it was, then a true announcement would've confirmed it ages ago. It hasn't.

Sometimes fame, other times views and hits.

I mean the dude that leaked and played sun and moon early a week or so early is a good example, he had such a large following near the end and there was many desperate viewers and people. It’s a sense of power. He held all the power and everyone was putty in his hand. When the fan base is extremely desperate, maintaining control is easy and I would imagine it would be fun.

Lurantis’s mark is forever written in the internet as history. It’s a fairly cool achievement if you think about it.

I mean the dude that leaked and played sun and moon early a week or so early is a good example, he had such a large following near the end and there was many desperate viewers and people. It’s a sense of power. He held all the power and everyone was putty in his hand. When the fan base is extremely desperate, maintaining control is easy and I would imagine it would be fun.

Lurantis’s mark is forever written in the internet as history. It’s a fairly cool achievement if you think about it.
It's interesting to me that you say this, because I have literally never heard of this guy until now. I wasn't actively looking for leaks, but I was checking on news and was on a few discord servers that discussed news as well. (I remember one shared the audio files when it was discovered the demo had a

This isn't to say that fame isn't a valid motivator, of course-obviously it was enough for Lurantis, and he did get a good amount of attention-but it's interesting to me how little fame was necessary to motivate Lurantis to put his job on the line. The information was only ten days early, it was on 4Chan (so there wasn't any money for hits), and Lurantis can't even claim the accomplishment as his own anymore. (He gave up his tripcode for public use)

I guess I'd better stop thinking "no reason to leak" is a valid reason to doubt-if a board full of people screaming racial/homophobic slurs is worth leaking to, social media or Pokemon-based sites are probably even more so. (I mean, position is still a factor-Lurantis just worked for a video game store, not Game Freak itself-but still)

Oh yes, I remember that day when Lurantis appeared on VP. Good times. And then there was FyreLordZuko last year with USUM.

Some people just can't hold their water and or they want to be internet famous.
Sometimes though, companies like Capcom tell people to leak stuff and it backfires majorly

I know this is probably fake, but its pretty much a wishlist of what I want

Attachments

• _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    952.1 KB · Views: 171
oh god, not him again.

I could see them confirming whether it’ll be a 2018 or 2019 release, and I agree that there’s a slim chance of getting titles, but I doubt we’re getting more than that if it’s at the meeting itself. We could get a name drop before the meeting, but they’re not going to waste time showing a trailer to investors, that would be bad business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom