• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that Gorochu means anything. It's a scrapped Pokemon and that's all that it will ever be.
I think she mentioned that as a counter argument to nickdt, who argues that Gorochu would be problematic in the US due to being misconstrued to be demonic/referencing the devil in the 1990. Whereas, lavandula argues that the US audience would be wrong for associating it with the devil. And also referencing the representation of Oni as adversarial characters in anime (which could've been counter intuitive to Pikachu's role as a protagonist.)

gorochu_artwork_by_emdy93-dcalr9v.jpg
I'll be sticking an eviolite to my baby Raichu, thank you. :p

And also referencing the representation of Oni as adversarial characters in anime (which could've been counter intuitive to Pikachu's role as a protagonist.)
They seem to have no issues making villainous Raichu episodes...

I have no issues to it being a Diancie-like counterpart to the Pikachu family, or maybe a Mega Raichu. But please don’t make 4th evolutions...

Oh... the present feedback to Gorochu shows that Raichu is already being sidelined.

Everywhere, Gorochu is being reported as ‘Pikachu had a third evolution', and 'Pikachu had a scrapped evolution' instead of 'Raichu had an evolution planned' or something like that.

The second headline implies that Pikachu doesn’t have an evolution at all, pretending that Raichu doesn’t exist.

A Gorochu I believe is going to be an ultimate disservice to Raichu fans. It almost seems like a "F* you" from GameFreak for daring to use a thunderstone on Pikachu.
I'm more bitter than most on the subject since Raichu is my favourite Pokemon, and I hate the treatment they give it (like making regular Raichu completely unavailable in SM, and the treatment it gets in anime). :(

The only positive thing which comes out of this is seeing the Gorochu fanart as possible Mega Raichu designs. There are some on deviant art which I actually like.

I don't understand why the US would complain about the horns and evilness with a pokemon, when the construct of the "devil" having horns comes from the pagan horned god. We also have Houndoom which is arguably the most evil demonic looking pokemon in the series and has caused no controversy at all. What lavandula said is 100% correct on the Oni.

Oh... the present feedback to Gorochu shows that Raichu is already being sidelined.

Everywhere, Gorochu is being reported as ‘Pikachu had a third evolution', and 'Pikachu had a scrapped evolution' instead of 'Raichu had an evolution planned' or something like that.

The second headline implies that Pikachu doesn’t have an evolution at all, pretending that Raichu doesn’t exist.

A Gorochu I believe is going to be an ultimate disservice to Raichu fans. It almost seems like a "F* you" from GameFreak for daring to use a thunderstone on Pikachu.
I'm more bitter than most on the subject since Raichu is my favourite Pokemon, and I hate the treatment they give it (like making regular Raichu completely unavailable in SM, and the treatment it gets in anime). :(

The only positive thing which comes out of this is seeing the Gorochu fanart as possible Mega Raichu designs. There are some on deviant art which I actually like.

I think it's mostly "Pikachu had a third evolution" because it's the iconic mascot of the franchise so everyone knows Pikachu by name first and foremost. It's kinda the lead singer to the whole chu band.

XD And yeah, wouldn't worry about fourth stages becoming a thing, I feel like Mega Evolution is the answer to that, so if there's any hope for Gorochu, it would be in becoming a mega evolution for Raichu. Which really wouldn't be too unwelcome, probably? The design doesn't sound like it was bad. Kinda hope they will use it as a mega form one day.

it would be in becoming a mega evolution for Raichu. Which really wouldn't be too unwelcome, probably? The design doesn't sound like it was bad. Kinda hope they will use it as a mega form one day.

Hopefully Raichu gets a Gorochu inspired Mega and give Pikachu no way of mega evolving.

I wonder how will they handle Alolan Raichu if Mega Raichu becomes a thing... Will the Mega be exclusive to regular Raichu, like how only the Alolan variant can use Stoked Sparksurfer?

Hopefully Raichu gets a Gorochu inspired Mega and give Pikachu no way of mega evolving.

I wonder how will they handle Alolan Raichu if Mega Raichu becomes a thing... Will the Mega be exclusive to regular Raichu, like how only the Alolan variant can use Stoked Sparksurfer?
I could see that being the case, and it would kinda be fair since Alolan Raichu got the exclusive z-move and Raichu didn't... now I really want a Mega Raichu. =< I like regular Raichu more than Fatty McPancake.

I was just wondering how they may handle Megas if Pokémon capable of Mega Evolving received Regional Variants, I think it's possible they'd only give the Mega to Raichu, but I think they could also give it to both.

As when you look at Alolan Raichu, although it does have a Z-Move and can learn more Moves/TMs than regular Raichu, this may have been done to attract attention to it as Raichu only has a x2 Weakness to Ground, while Alolan Raichu has a x2 Weakness to Bug, Dark, Ghost and Ground, that is literally 4x as many weaknesses, which could make it noticeably more unappealing than other Pokémon, to some or many.

=< I like regular Raichu more than Fatty McPancake.

…Did you say…Pancake?
IMG_6613.JPG

As when you look at Alolan Raichu, although it does have a Z-Move and can learn more Moves/TMs than regular Raichu, this may have been done to attract attention to it as Raichu only has a x2 Weakness to Ground, while Alolan Raichu has a x2 Weakness to Bug, Dark, Ghost and Ground, that is literally 4x as many weaknesses, which could make it noticeably more unappealing than other Pokémon, to some or many.

Well... they didn’t do so for Marowak...

They just gave it a Z-Move because it’s the new thing.

I cannot imagine Alolan Raichu with horns and fangs of all things... It gets the Z-Move and regular Raichu gets a Mega. Fair in my opinion.

They could always make it a branch evolution.
Pikachu would have a preevo who evolves with happiness and that has a form in spiky-eared pichu and two evolution, one of which evolves with the thunder stone and has an alola form. I mean, that would be a complex evolutionary line.

I don't understand why the US would complain about the horns and evilness with a pokemon, when the construct of the "devil" having horns comes from the pagan horned god. We also have Houndoom which is arguably the most evil demonic looking pokemon in the series and has caused no controversy at all. What lavandula said is 100% correct on the Oni.

Because they wouldn't understand it. And i argued that its the horns, in combination with the reddish colour (Which Houndoom doesn't have, since its mainly black, possibly because GF wanted to avoid controversy like with Jynx, when it was still black), if it is the same colour as Raichu, there obviously will not be any controversy.

Because they wouldn't understand it. And i argued that its the horns, in combination with the reddish colour (Which Houndoom doesn't have, since its mainly black, possibly because GF wanted to avoid controversy like with Jynx, when it was still black), if it is the same colour as Raichu, there obviously will not be any controversy.

Even if it was the case, I doubt there would be any real controversy in the modern era. Even now in modern generations we have legendary pokemon based off real gods and cultural aspects of other countries and they havent offended anyone. I think the Jynx situation was just American people not understanding what Jynx was actually based off and just assumed it was having a go at their culture when there was no connection. I do wonder what the next controversial thing with pokemon will be, the last controversial thing I can recall was the Hitler Registeel Salute stance.

If this is a R/B remake, Kanto revisit/sequel or gen 8, I really hope they do something new with the Gym system, it could be amazing.

Since we technically almost have 8 gens, I would love if each gym represented a region/generation, like the first Gym being based on Kanto, the trainer class' could be ones only found in Kanto, Pokémon only from Kanto( (swear I'm not a genwunner lol) and design based around Kanto ect, and the rest done like that but with the other regions influences, with the 8th being influenced by the new region or a mix of all of them if it's back to Kanto. Of course I assume they'll go back to the one-type gym thing, but they could still do that and do this if they wanted to. Tbf though, I feel if they cared about gym that much; we would of got more than that simulator of Vermillion gym in Alola lol, even if gyms were taking a backseat this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom