• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might alienate older players who think that the titles are too childish. That, and they don't even fit any of the main series naming conventions. They, in my opinion, sound like spinoff titles.
First off sorry for the far back quote but:
arent we over this already?
They went from colours to gems back to teo colours and then do two letters and then the sun and moon.
Then there are those ultra/omega stuff lately.
They broke their own naming conventions already.

This isn’t usual for him though. He rarely criticize GF/Pokemon in general.

Less on his site/Twitter but in GameExplain occasionally he's complained about things. Regardless, we have leaks and rumors and nothing confirmed and he's already getting people in a frenzy over literally nothing. Joe isn't an insider or anything, he's as clueless as the rest of us and ain't really in any position to be acting like he knows they're "casualizing the series"

If Kanto is indeed the region in the "new games", please let the Pokemon distribution be improved. I am not going to take on Brock with a Pikachu, a Pidgey, and a bug Pokemon (Butterfree). Considering how many connections Gen 1 Pokemon have with Pokemon from subsequent generations, I also hope that we aren't limited to the first 151 Pokemon either.
I could see the new dex being a combination of Kanto and Johto, with some Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokémon thrown in for variety. Houndour outside Celadon City, Misdreavus in Pokémon Tower, Sneasel at the Seafoam Islands, Larvitar in Victory Road (or as early as Rock Tunnel), etc. I really like Yellow's and FRLG's distributions too - Ponyta in Cycling Road, Nidoran as early as Route 2, etc. It's so varied compared to RGB imo.

Yes let's all freak out and have a break down due on one persons cryptic words and without any actual info ourselves.
Nobody is saying the game is crap. I simply posted his tweet because he might have heard something bad.

And this thread until recently was nothing but cryptic tweets. You’re annoyed now?

Nobody is saying the game is crap. I simply posted his tweet because he might have heard something bad.

And this thread until recently was nothing but cryptic tweets. You’re annoyed now?

I don't know 'bout that bruh, them thar Pikachu tail on the logo is sure cryptic, I can't quite figure it out.

Nobody is saying the game is crap.

Wellll

Of course we know the minority is always the loudest and this doesn't mean anything but it's reasons like this that I really can't deal with this frenzy and panic and immediate dismissal and writing off of a RUMORED game just because of someone who runs a website. Joe knows nothing, IDK why people put him on a pedestal

Even the term casualisation in this context is quite subjective.

If it means less Multiverse and less Doomsday Scenario then Hell, I’ll raise the Casualisation flag myself!

Seriously though, I think it’s worth taking a second to remember this is a MASSIVE moment for Game Freak. We’re about to see the very first main series Pokémon game on a home console. Even if the next release is seen as a casualisation of the franchise - I think it’s understandable. Logical, even. Game Freak will want to maximize accessibility for these games. They want to attract new players and yes, potentially people who played/play Pokémon Go. Then, once the hooks are in, it’s safe to assume that the games after the first Switch release will be less casual, less derivative.

I think we can pretty much guarantee that regardless, there are going to be things that people love about the new games and things that people could do without - like... uhm... every single Pokémon game thus far?

I think someone like Joe Merrick saying ‘causalisation of the franchise’ is extremely misguided. Just because the next entries might be more casual (for aforementioned valid reasons) does not mean that the franchise as a whole, is doomed.

Besides, as fans of Pokémon don’t we want to see Game Freak take the necessary steps to ensure Pokémon continues to bring in new fans? Personally, I’m going to err on the side of positivity ... I don’t see any of us feeling particularly isolated by these next games.

Joe knows nothing more than we do (unless he's hiding something). It's ridiculous to assume anything about the games from just the titles and some very vague details. So I don't see why anyone would/should get pessimistic just because he's worried.
He's been so annoying about the games not being gen 8 and the anime not ending this year, he suddenly jumped to the 2018 boat for no reason claiming that this year the release of two titles is possibile provided that they are not gen 8, he even wrote an article about how go may influence the switch titles...Are we still denying he knows something?
Anyway, I still don't understand why GF made this weird choice...They could have simply created gen 8 even with usum graphic and they would have easly sold milions of copies.
They are clearly targetting a more casual audience but we have to discover what the games are exactly to understand if this choice could cost them the loss of the fond audience in exchange of a new, more casual one or if it will just extend it.

Wellll

Of course we know the minority is always the loudest and this doesn't mean anything but it's reasons like this that I really can't deal with this frenzy and panic and immediate dismissal and writing off of a RUMORED game just because of someone who runs a website. Joe knows nothing, IDK why people put him on a pedestal

I think that "rumored" game has swiftly jumped from rumored to "legit but not yet officially announced" and some of the conclusions that may be drawn from the titles might be enough to turn some people off hardcore... liiiiike it being a Yellow remake/reboot (I don't care which) or heavily featuring Pikachu and Eevee if you happen to hate either of those two pokemon.

Personally, that they pretty much decided to make their Switch debut be a revisited concept in many ways already turned me off from it. Any Go-related integration is just icing on an already bland cake. And I mean... I like Pokemon Go. But I like BBQ sauce and pudding too, but that doesn't mean I'd mix them.

I think that "rumored" game has swiftly jumped from rumored to "legit but not yet officially announced" and some of the conclusions that may be drawn from the titles might be enough to turn some people off hardcore... liiiiike it being a Yellow remake/reboot (I don't care which) or heavily featuring Pikachu and Eevee if you happen to hate either of those two pokemon.

Personally, that they pretty much decided to make their Switch debut be a revisited concept in many ways already turned me off from it. Any Go-related integration is just icing on an already bland cake. And I mean... I like Pokemon Go. But I like BBQ sauce and pudding too, but that doesn't mean I'd mix them.

When I say rumored, I mean, everything about the game is rumored. Mechanics and such, even the basis of it as a whole, we don't know any of it, it's just titles and rumors. And I mean, if people hate Pikachu and Eevee or the idea of a Pokemon Yellow remake with GO attributes, then by all means, don't buy the game. My point is that: to start crying about what they're doing to the series when we effectively are going on rumors is a bit extra

I'd be willing to bet it'll be shown on either next Tuesday or Thursday. With an announcement the direct is coming tomorrow or Friday. That said if the direct is next Thursday then the announcement of the direct could come Monday or Tuesday

He's been so annoying about the games not being gen 8 and the anime not ending this year, he suddenly jumped to the 2018 boat for no reason claiming that this year the release of two titles is possibile provided that they are not gen 8, he even wrote an article about how go may influence the switch titles...Are we still denying he knows something?

Even if he does know something, I doubt it's much. Certainly not enough to start assuming that they're "casualizing the series" or whatever.

Man these games feel and sound like spin off games but made by gamefreak, I'm so confused

Maybe it's just me, but I thought Joe's tweet sounded harmless enough in that he felt that, by the sounds of things, they might be casualizing, and he expressed his opinion on that as not being a good idea? Not really crying about how they're definitely doing it, just that they might be and he's not on board with that direction.

I don't know about the person who responded to it saying that it was going to be bad- maybe they just hate Pikachu.

I rise from the grave once again to voice my concerns, which are that these are main series games rather than derivative spinoffs. I, er, sort of bought the Switch banking on Gen 8 at some point and am very lucky that the console has had enough great titles to make it worth it beyond this particular IP. This franchise is very important to me. I admire the ongoing creativity and the overall feel of the series, and new Pokémon and places to explore are really what I follow the franchise for. So, you know, I'm all for a Yellow remake or a fun little game with Go features eventually, and the franchise has debuted on new consoles with spinoffs before, but the main worry for me is that the whole-ass new main series game on the Switch is a region we've already seen and know everything about. I think the Switch will live a long time and all companies go through rough spots every once in a while, but having them be fully-fledged RPGs expected to be the series' next step would be pretty damn disappointing. (To me personally, no shade on people who look forward to them).

TBH I'm not really sure what "casualizing" the series means...they're pretty casual already IMO, they're designed to be easy and accessible. The main demographic is children after all. Does he mean selling to people only familiar with the series' early days or GO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom