• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've warmed up to the titles... Some... But as someone who no longer plays Pokemon Go (only because my phone won't capture a GPS signal, so I was spoofing, and while I'm not banned, spoofing is blocked), I really hope that the battle system doesn't resemble Go's raids. Those are awful and make no sense. Why does my Gengar take damage from a Hyper Beam? It shouldn't at all.

Because it’s an unnecessary change that doesn’t really add anything other than a cute gimmick.

I mean, so is walking Pokemon, but everyone wants that back~ And it could potentially add something, we don't know yet~

Why does my Gengar take damage from a Hyper Beam? It shouldn't at all.

In GO's defense, the game would be broken if they make type immunities the way they function in the main series. If you leave a Pokemon in a Gym and it can't touch what's attacking (You literally have one unchooseable move to work with and another you have to charge to use), there would be half of the Dex unusued in fear that it would be useless in a Gym Battle. Even in Mystery Dungeon, Ghost Moves are NVE against Normal-types, so it's not like this is totally out of left field.

I don't think Gyms will work like this, BTW, just explaining why that is that way~

Last edited:
As I dabble on this leak more and more, the more and more I like it. I actually really like the idea of a cute pokemon game. And having Eevee as a starter? Cool. Like, really cool. As a kid, I always wanted Ash to get an Eevee, because I just loved Eevee, and the three possibilities it had to evolve (I didn't know about Umbreon and Espeon till I discovered the Pokemon series again like 6 years ago). I think as long as {GF understands what they are dealing with, and knows how to do it right, than these games can be a huge success (if they are the games we are seeing)

Ok so looks like we are going to Kanto again. As many other Gen1 and Gen2 were the first games I played so I like the idea of a remake as long as it will be smth like B2W2. My wishlist:
-Smth like B2W2 (A sequel remake and not a copy/paste one)
-Gyms returning (If this will be a new Kanto I would like to see Misty as an E4 member, and also no new characters being Gym Leaders but old ones taking the spot)
-The dex to include all the pokemon not only the original 151 ones.
-Eeveelutions (Give me that Dragon Eevee please)
-Maybe a new evolution of Pikachu
-Contest returning and being more anime like style (where u also battle between)
-Being able to visit Sevii Islands and Johto either as main plot or postgame
-Briefly joining Team Rocket and do a mission for it and u leave the gang after realizing their bad intentions
-If Trainer Customization will return I want TR outfits there
-New Pokemon or at least new regional forms

My biggest wish is related to the actually story. For years I've wanted Pokemon to scale back the scope of their story. I'm tired of the same ole end of the world scenario that every game for last 4 or so generations lead too. Let's make the story smaller in scale, but we don't have to skip out on the actual story telling. When it was original thought that Team Skull would be the bad guys on Sun and Moon I was excited that the story may be smaller now...And I was disappointed when I found out about the whole Aether Foundation and wormholes and all that noise.

But I only want this if the storytelling is good enough to make a smaller story engrossing.

Gamefreak surely won‘t force the go catching gimmick down to main fanbase‘ throats, really it‘s clearly going to be optional, as veggiebird stated too. Why don‘t you just wait for the reveal, before jumping to any conclusions. I think i have written that a few times now, but it will not get oversocialized, because, again, it‘a Core RPG Game experience gamefreak will deliver. And to the catching thing being like go, i think some still think this means battling being like in go too, but no at most it will just be an optional gimmick while catching pokemon, after you weakened them in battle.

Gamefreak surely won‘t force the go catching gimmick down to main fanbase‘ throats, really it‘s clearly going to be optional, as veggiebird stated too. Why don‘t you just wait for the reveal, before jumping to any conclusions. I think i have written that a few times now, but it will not get oversocialized, because, again, it‘a Core RPG Game experience gamefreak will deliver. And to the catching thing being like go, i think some still think this means battling being like in go too, but no at most it will just be an optional gimmick while catching pokemon, after you weakened them in battle.
they cant force it, it would force poeple to use the joy cons even in console mode, which is something nintendo usally doesnt too.

The Go Catching gimmick will not be optional, since not many people are gonna use if its optional. But on another note: if its not optional, people will not use their Switch in table top mode, basically destroying the purpose of the hybrid. Either way, Gamefreak has a problem, since technically, they cannot afford to make it optional, while they also cannot afford to not make it optional.

And if the rumor about the upscaled SUMO sprites is true, there literally was no reason too move from the 3ds too the Switch, other than too sell the system, which according to the majority of the fanbase who doesn't own a Switch, is not gonna happen since they will be disappointed.

If it stays as Yellow, with no new story or Pokemon or added places, its best for Nintendo and Gamefreak to prepare themselfs for disappointment.

The Go Catching gimmick will not be optional, since not many people are gonna use if its optional. But on another note: if its not optional, people will not use their Switch in table top mode, basically destroying the purpose of the hybrid. Either way, Gamefreak has a problem, since technically, they cannot afford to make it optional, while they also cannot afford to not make it optional.

And if the rumor about the upscaled SUMO sprites is true, there literally was no reason too move from the 3ds too the Switch, other than too sell the system, which according to the majority of the fanbase who doesn't own a Switch, is not gonna happen since they will be disappointed.
According to veggiebird it will be optional

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/VegetableCookin/status/996423762743508993

And all of this is to attract go players and i can imagine it being also solely used just to show it off in the trailer so when go players see it they go like aaah i can play that, it‘s like i know it from the smartphone, but in the game it will be optional of course. And the joy con shaking would be optional when playing on tv of course there pokemon goes like: here look you see this pokemon big on your screen, as if its standing in front of you, here now you can act like a real trainer catching it with moving the joycon like a pokeball, if you like so, if not just press buttons.

So also as it‘s a core rpg game, i just don‘t see it not being optional. Don‘t forget one of the switchs features is also to show off, in which different ways you can play on it.

There is one big reason.
Get famialr with the hardware with a smaller project (scalewise)
With using the SUMO assets they can minimize the needed work and focus on understanding the workings of the console.
this will lead to a better optimized engine and overall better follow up games.

This is the main problem the 3ds entries faced. GF dindt really know how to work with the 3ds and made an over ambitious project (first 3d pokemon) which resulted in a butchered engine that had really bad framrates compared to other games with better graphics on the same device.

Last edited:
Even if he does know something, I doubt it's much. Certainly not enough to start assuming that they're "casualizing the series" or whatever.
He doesn't need to know much...We are all kinda scared about these games simply because it looks like GF tried to target Pokemon Go users rather than the traditional fans. So they skipped gen 8 to go back to Kanto, Pikachu and "everything is like 22 years ago when you were a little kid, fused with Pokemon Go, which is your coolest app on the mobile phone".
Clearly we have no other infos but we are scared of what can be revealed next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom