• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Go Catching gimmick will not be optional, since not many people are gonna use if its optional.

Isn't that kind of a huge assumption? Who's to say not many people would use the joycons as an optional feature? Some may not like the idea, but there could be plenty who'd rather use the joycon as opposed to just pressing a button.

He doesn't need to know much...We are all kinda scared about these games simply because it looks like GF tried to target Pokemon Go users rather than the traditional fans. So they skipped gen 8 to go back to Kanto, Pikachu and "everything is like 22 years ago when you were a little kid, fused with Pokemon Go, which is your coolest app on the mobile phone".
Clearly we have no other infos but we are scared of what can be revealed next week.

Based off of what exactly? A few rumors stating that they incorporated some GO features?

I'm not saying people can't be nervous, but there are just a lot of assumptions going on when we have so little info, which I just find really weird.

if i'm wrong plese say

is't the leak say Red and Blue has important role in the story and our characters are totally new ones ? so leak says story gonna take place 20 year after Pokemon Red&Green. ( i said "20" cuz we saw older Red and Blue in S&M) So that means we got new story line, new gym leaders, new elite4, maybe new professor ( Oak is too old to be alive i think ). i can't quite say something about the pokemon in the reigon but i'm sure story gonna be different than Yellow. So nothing to worry about right now.

You can dislike titles, you may not want Kanto, you may have suspicions about wild pokemon in the reigon, you can hate new throwing the ball system ( i still think its just throwing a ball not more ) but as we know right now ( which is almost nothing ) there is no reason to say games are gonna be bad/disaster. we will just wait and see. And as a pokemon fan myself, i'm gonna like everything that i got as long as pokemon in it.

Isn't that kind of a huge assumption? Who's to say not many people would use the joycons as an optional feature? Some may not like the idea, but there could be plenty who'd rather use the joycon as opposed to just pressing a button.

Based off of what exactly? A few rumors stating that they incorporated some GO features?

I'm not saying people can't be nervous, but there are just a lot of assumptions going on when we have so little info, which I just find really weird.
- Let's go
- Pokemon in the overworld.
- New catching mechanic similar to go.
- Games and go connectivity.
- Maybe new battle system.
- Back to Kanto.

We don't know anything else but the titles. All the rumors of these past months however, now seem to have sense...and not in a good way.

I am basing it on the general concensus that is currently going on: Not all traditional players like Pokemon Go (The majority), while i think (Not confirmed though), not many Go Players will buy a Switch, since it can't be played on the move, since its too big for that, unlike the Mobile device.

Gamefreak is taking a huge risk, which imo, will backfire, since they are using the devices as a lead that many people play Pokemon Go, while it can be that some people don't play it anymore, but don't bother deleting them from their mobile devices.

I'm guessing gamefreak is aware by now that the core fanbase will buy whatever games they put out regardless, so they want to put stuff in to hook the go crowd and 90's nostalgia crowd/adult switch owners

It's a pretty genius move tbh

Personally I'm ok with the titles "Let's Go! Pikachu" and "Let's Go! Eevee", but I think I remember seeing that the names could be slightly different.

How would it be recieved if it was "I Choose You! Pikachu/Eevee" or simply Go! Pikachu/Eevee"?

Last edited:
better be optional because I don't plan to use my switch in handheld or outside my room ever, pro controller is far superior

I have a question, will gen 8 come out in 2019? Because 2020 is a 4 year gap, too long of a gap and I don't see that happening ever.

nickdt said:
not many Go Players will buy a Switch, since it can't be played on the move, since its too big for that, unlike the Mobile device.

Gamefreak is taking a huge risk, which imo, will backfire, since they are using the devices as a lead that many people play Pokemon Go, while it can be that some people don't play it anymore, but don't bother deleting them from their mobile devices.
They must have done actual research unlike the rest of us that rely on forums and anecdotal evidence, so there is no "huge risk". Nintendo expect to sell 20 million Switch systems this year and 100 million game units; a large chunk of those numbers must be attributed to these games. Their forecasts have never been that off.

Riahi said:
I have a question, will gen 8 come out in 2019? Because 2020 is a 4 year gap, too long of a gap and I don't see that happening ever.
It's happened twice before, or rather thrice since the gap between RG and GS was 3 years and 9 months. I don't think that the series should become completely annual just because some fans are never happy with what they have.

Last edited:
Whew! Finally caught up with this thread.

You can't prove something like that without official confirmation. It hasn't been disproven.

Also, people have noticed that Masuda's Eevee+Pikachu tweets go back to last year. Have a look at his Pokemon Day greeting.

Really? Well if that trademark hadn't been made I would have been a bit more skeptical because of that. I'm pretty solidly Team Real now though.

I'm team real because it now truly all comes together.
There's too much smoke at this point.

I keep seeing this phrase "Too much smoke" what does this mean? It makes me think of like tricks and lies like smoke and mirrors but it seems like people are saying it in the opposite way. Is this a common phrase I just never heard?

Plus Go, at this rate, is several years off from having a complete pokedex, so there's only a limited number that you could transfer.

I mean. Can't you say the same thing about RBY and GSC on Virtual Console? Or any of the games that let you transfer Pokemon from the previous generation?

Anyway I'm gonna say my piece about what I think of these games and what I would want from them.

I have heard a few people recently talk about rebooting the franchise (which would be absolutely absurd and terrifying if somehow true) or making the next game yet another gen 1 remake (which would be incredibly annoying). Because of hearing these ideas I'm actually far more ok with this than I would expect. As long as this Gen doesn't pull a USUM and instead end up being new sequel games I think seeing a new Kanto in the future could be interesting. I definitely agree with a few other people that this being good requires a few things though.

1.) I think this needs to actually feature at least the bare minimum thing people usually expect out of a new Pokemon Gen: New Pokemon
2.) Even if the game isn't a big leap from gen 7 graphically I think we need to finally go for a controlled camera. Maybe have it set behind the player by default instead over hovering over them, and getting rid of the grid would be good too.
3.) A more gripping story that focuses on interesting characters. Gen 7 went in the right direction by trying to reintroduce this after Gen 6 lacked it so I hope these games will keep that going. They could figure they should go back to basics since they are going back to Kanto though, which would be disappointing.
4.) Once again I think these would only work out if they were set in Kanto's future and referencing the previous games would also make that idea even better. Hopefully R&B will be in their S/M designs.
5.) Having other Mon from newer regions migrate to Kanto so the region has more variety than just the original 151 is a must. Especially since Pokemon like Lucario are classics in their own right now (ffs where is my Lets Go Riolu anyway??)

As for the catching mechanic from Go. I actually think it's a good idea! Considering literally all the actual catching itself has involved has been pressing a button, something like that would only mean a little more interactivity and immersion imho. If it's left to that it really would amount to the smallest feature anyway so I don't see how it would be a particularly important inclusion either way. Judging other Go features would require actually seeing the individual features though obviously so waiting on that.

I'm cautiously optimistic for this.

I am basing it on the general concensus that is currently going on: Not all traditional players like Pokemon Go (The majority), while i think (Not confirmed though), not many Go Players will buy a Switch, since it can't be played on the move, since its too big for that, unlike the Mobile device.

Okay, but that's literally just your assumption. It's totally possible that Go players could become interested in this game and buy it. I doubt that'll happen since I highly doubt this game will take that much from Go at all, but it's still possible. Similarly, there are a lot of traditional players that played and enjoyed Go and may be interested in them adding optional Go-like mechanics.

My point is that it seems like a huge assumption to suggest what players may or may not do when we don't even know what any of the mechanics are going to be like.

I keep seeing this phrase "Too much smoke" what does this mean? It makes me think of like tricks and lies like smoke and mirrors but it seems like people are saying it in the opposite way. Is this a common phrase I just never heard?
The picture you should have in mind is seeing smoke come out of a building; it should mean that there is fire inside. So the metaphor means that if you have a lot of indications of something, then it's probably real.

The phrase is “where there is smoke there is fire”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom