• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
lapras one
I think that was just the girl trainer from behind.

I'm honestly surprised you're surprised. Plenty of people were saying that they would be upset if they were out for a while now. Also I've always been under the impression that most people liked having lots of Pokemon battles since they are supposed to be such a big integral part of the games along with things like collecting lots of Pokemon. Honestly it would seem weird to me if lots of people weren't upset. I don't honestly know what GF were thinking.

Want to know something else weird practically everyone outside of this place is taking it well. Even youtube, YOUTUBE! I don't think people are as upset as you think.

No, but we never got any confirmation regarding USUM, either. The point is that they aren't sequels and that limits how much can be changed in a logical way.
When did we get confirmation that these games weren't sequels? From what I'm hearing GF have basically just said "not remakes".

the partner pokemon given to you can't evolve but you're still able to catch and evolve wild pikachu/eevee

guys, relax lol
That sort of defeats the purpose though. At that point Eevee and Pikachu might as well have not been the starters since they are dead weight at that point anyway. Just pick up a Mankey or something instead.

Also I bet if you swap them for a wild version they don't get dress up or cutscene appearances. It's just more spitting in Raichu's face and missing the entire point of Eevee.

I'm not much familiar with animation and models, but I think anime drawing and 3D models work differently in that department.

Being aimed at kids =/ older art style. I'm pretty sure XY MCs are older than SM's.

I just saw a translated bit of a statement from Masuda that said these games are squarely aimed at extremely young children (something like 4-9, I'd imagine). That's the whole point of co-op mode - so an adult/older sibling can help them through "difficult" parts of the game.

These games are Baby's First Pokemon.

Which yes, totally goes against the Nostalgic Kanto setting. But eh - nothing about these games seems well-thought out.

That sort of defeats the purpose though. At that point Eevee and Pikachu might as well have not been the starters since they are dead weight at that point anyway. Just pick up a Mankey or something instead.

Also I bet if you swap them for a wild version they don't get dress up or cutscene appearances. It's just more spitting in Raichu's face and missing the entire point of Eevee.

the website mentions that they'll be "formidable" I imagine there will be bonuses/incentive to use the buddy pokemon

I just saw a translated bit of a statement from Masuda that said these games are squarely aimed at extremely young children (something like 4-9, I'd imagine). That's the whole point of co-op mode - so an adult/older sibling can help them through "difficult" parts of the game.

I’d be curious to see where you saw that, considering that during the conference he said that they were designed with both newcomers and veteran players in mind (a statement which was then echoed by the official site’s announcement, under “Catching Made Easy”). “Extremely young children” aren’t likely to fall under the category of “veteran player.”

Not to mention that the trailer itself shows a variety of different ages playing the games... quite a contrast to the Pokkén DX/USUM reveal video all but outright saying, “Pokkén is for you older players, and oh yeah, parents, we’ve got you covered on this year’s Christmas presents for your little squirts, too.”

These games are Baby's First Pokemon.

Which yes, totally goes against the Nostalgic Kanto setting. But eh - nothing about these games seems well-thought out.

Kind of weird choice to have people way over that age in the advertisement then...

Atleast this explains the hectic atmosphere at GameFreak-
Creating a SM demo on the Switch, then LGPE, and the next Switch game which has been in development since before the switch released.
Not to mention the spin off Pokémon Quest, and the rush to get SM out of the way for the anniversary.

When did we get confirmation that these games weren't sequels? From what I'm hearing GF have basically just said "not remakes".
1. Common sense. They wouldn't be vague if they could just call them sequels.

2. Team Rocket are still at Silph Co. That would be very forced for sequels, and trailers aren't supposed to be (negatively) misleading.

It’s actually clever- release LGPE to get the GO fan base used to the mainline game structure, along with the younger fan base and bringing back the Gen 1 nostalgia Base, and then get them to buy the Generation 8 games to validate their purchase of a Switch console (Who buys a console for a single game? People might think 'might as well purchase the next game in the series')

If these people like Generation 8 they'll bring sales to GameFreak, and the standard fan base will buy the games anyway.

I’d be curious to see where you saw that, considering that during the conference he said that they were designed with both newcomers and veteran players in mind (a statement which was then echoed by the official site’s announcement, under “Catching Made Easy”). “Extremely young children” aren’t likely to fall under the category of “veteran player.”

Not to mention that the trailer itself shows a variety of different ages playing the games...

Ugh, the statement has been lost in this pure torrent of news. Basically it was something along the lines of "this is an easier game meant for guardians to use to introduce their children to Pokemon".

When they say "veteran players" I'm pretty sure they mean Pokemon fans in their 30s and 40s with their own kids who will be helping their kids catch Pokemon and 2v1ing the Trainer Battles, not that veterans can actually enjoy it on their own.

It's like the Kiddie section of an amusement park - adults have fun watching the kids, they don't enjoy the attractions directly.

It’s actually clever- release LGPE to get the GO fan base used to the mainline game structure, along with the younger fan base and bringing back the Gen 1 nostalgia Base, and then get them to buy the Generation 8 games to validate their purchase of a Switch console (Who buys a console for a single game? People might think 'might as well purchase the next game in the series')
This game is VERY dumbed down from traditional Pokemon gameplay.

I’m not sure a lot of the GO fanbase will come back for a more traditional gen 8.

Ugh, the statement has been lost in this pure torrent of news. Basically it was something along the lines of "this is an easier game meant for guardians to use to introduce their children to Pokemon".

When they say "veteran players" I'm pretty sure they mean Pokemon fans in their 30s and 40s with their own kids who will be helping their kids catch Pokemon and 2v1ing the Trainer Battles, not that veterans can actually enjoy it on their own.

It's like the Kiddie section of an amusement park - adults have fun watching the kids, they don't enjoy the attractions directly.

Which again makes it very odd to include several scenes in the trailer where people ages 16+ are enjoying the games, even in friendly pairs, without any children in sight.

Not that being able to help guide one’s children isn’t a potential benefit of these games’ mechanics, but it’s hardly the only appeal that they’ve communicated.

Which again makes it very odd to include several scenes in the trailer where people ages 16+ are enjoying the games, even in friendly pairs, without any children in sight.

Not that being able to help guide one’s children isn’t a potential benefit of these games’ mechanics, but it’s hardly the only appeal that they’ve communicated.
Well, I mean, they're not going to turn down an adult's money if they want to plunk it down. Plenty of games aimed at very young children like Kirby are playable for adults. That's just not their primary audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom