• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly the thing that feels the worst here to me is I actually had faith in this idea when we just had the leaks. I was one of the people that thought that the Go integration wouldn't be that bad and I actually even liked the idea of the catching mechanic. I thought it would be fun to act like all the trainers in the anime that treat throwing a Pokeball like an olympic sport you have to train for. I don't think I asked for much wanting more than boring old Kanto again. All I wanted was for them to change it up. Give us some new mon or at least some old favorites from something besides the dusty gen 1 ones. God this Gen 1 pandering is almost on the level new FE pandering.

At this point I only plan on watching a lets play of these to see what the story is about, and if that's not interesting or even just a rehash then there is literally nothing of worth here. What a waste of a promising concept.

I don't know what happened but I just woke up and looked on serebii and I found the announcement of gen 8 for next year before I even saw the trailer for LGP/E. You know how does this sound? Like last year when they announced the switch titles after a week from usum, which basically means (again): "We know you didn't want these games but we are making new ones".
Basically there's no plot, no battles, they were called remakes, good graphics (which means new graphics than s/m not actually good ones.... -.-'). 11 months for this...Meh....

the website mentions that they'll be "formidable" I imagine there will be bonuses/incentive to use the buddy pokemon
That's good at least (although kinda vague).

Still think not having the Evolution Pokemon able to evolve and giving these Prevos all this stuff as opposed to. You know. Letting your starters evolve is a boneheaded idea though.

That's it....I feel like I'm finally starting to get fed up with this fandom now. Pokemon just doesn't seen as fun to talk about when the actual games are shown. Just a place complain about the little things that didn't even know people cared about till now. Almost as if they just made it up. I mean sense when did people look forward to wild battles?! I dunno. I don't want to just pack up and leave cause I like talking about pokemon with people, but lately complaints just come off more and more petty these days that it's grating.

That's it....I feel like I'm finally starting to get fed up with this fandom now. Pokemon just doesn't seen as fun to talk about when the actual games are shown. Just a place complain about the little things that didn't even know people cared about till now. Almost as if they just made it up. I mean sense when did people look forward to wild battles?! I dunno. I don't want to just pack up and leave cause I like talking about pokemon with people, but lately complaints just come off more and more petty these days that it's grating.
the community has been toxic for 4 years already, it's nothing new

Sorry for that...the thing is that we were expecting a main serie game with some Go integration (at worst) and instead we got Pokemon Go with some main serie integration :)

Hey guys, I just have a question. How do we know that the eevee and Pikachu we’re going to have as a starter won’t evolve. It wasn’t mentioned in the trailer...

Well, I mean, they're not going to turn down an adult's money if they want to plunk it down. Plenty of games aimed at very young children like Kirby are playable for adults. That's just not their primary audience.

You’re missing the point.

If these were intended as “Baby’s First Pokémon” as you put it, (and I say this well aware of the fact that in the broader view of things, young children are already the “primary audience” of the Pokémon series in general - honestly, that’s not anything new), then the advertising would reflect that. The ORAS trailer started by following a child into a cave. Those SM promos were about a group of young schoolchildren. And then there was the Pokkén/USUM video I mentioned previously which made it clear which game was aimed at which demographic. But here, this trailer is actually pretty balanced. There are child-only scenes, there are a couple that look like the dynamic you’ve described with someone older assisting someone younger (although it is a bit hard to discern due to the camera angles), but there are also just as many scenes with just older players, hanging out with other older players. It’s portrayed that way for a reason, to demonstrate a broad appeal.

Which, like, makes total sense, because these games clearly draw heavily from Pokémon GO, which last I checked was played primarily by teens and young adults. LGP/LGE aren’t about getting your four-year-old into Pokémon (though they can certainly do that) so much as they are about cashing in on the GO market regardless of who that’s comprised of. Kids are invariably going to want the new Pokémon game anyway. But these are about more than that; these are about trying to bring in the more casual-minded audience - in other words, a large portion of the 800 million people that have downloaded Pokémon GO.

There’s “sure, we’re happy to take your money for this kid-oriented Kirby game, even though we didn’t ask” and then there’s “deliberately making equal space in your marketing to show the game being enjoyed by various demographics, with plenty of focus going to teens and young adults outside of any childbound context, and restructuring the entire gameplay system to be more aligned with that of an app game that’s usually played by teens and young adults.”

Guys just chill, everyone has their preferences and it‘s impossible to please everyone. For People who wholeheartedly dislike LGPE, there is good news, a core RPG game with traditional gameplay is coming next year and with 3 years(devkits given out) in developement already and another to come, it means they will be great, as much work got into it. For People who wanted to revisit Kanto, who play Pokemon Go or new Players who were afraid of new games and needed a restart, be happy about the games and more to come next year.

I personally am wholeheartedly against Kanto and the Go implentations and some other things put or removed in here too, but on the other hand there are also some cool features here in the games i liked to try, also it looks pretty good. For me the games will be a good bridging, while waiting for the games in 2019. it will also be a good testing field for Gamefreak to learn for next games. So i think nobody really loses here, as there will be games for both sides. I‘ll just enjoy them both.

P.S: oh also, that was just the first trailer we got, let‘s just wait and see if maybe there‘s more to it than just what they‘ve shown, we also don’t know anything about the postgame at this point. E3 is right around the corner.

Last edited:

Yeah, I find this game to be the best solution of keeping go and the main series separate. Also, the names should have given them away as spin offs. It's Kanto pandering, but it's separated from the mainline games. Plus 3 years for a new generation is not unreasonable. None of this really comes off as unreasonable. Ideal? Not really, but it's understandable.

Guys just chill, everyone has their preferences and it‘s impossible to please everyone. For People who wholeheartedly dislike LGPE, there is good news, a core RPG game with traditional gameplay is coming next year and with 3 years(devkits given out) in developement already and another to come, it means they will be great, as much work got into it. For People who wanted to revisit Kanto, who play Pokemon Go or new Players who were afraid of new games and needed a restart, be happy about the games and more to come next year.

I personally am wholeheartedly against Kanto and the Go implentations and some other things put or removed in here too, but on the other hand there are also some cool features here in the games i liked to try, also it looks pretty good. For me the games will be a good bridging, while waiting for the games in 2019. it will also be a good testing field for Gamefreak to learn for next games. So i think nobody really loses here, as there will be games for both sides. I‘ll just enjoy them both.

P.S: oh also, that was just the first trailer we got, let‘s just wait and see if maybe there‘s more to it than just what they‘ve shown. E3 is right around the corner.
What bothers me is that they could have made 2018 a gap year. No wild battles (so no ivs, evs), x/y graphics in hd, just the 151 pokemon like pichu never existed, no online (which means no competitive), if there's a plot we just didn't see that.
I mean...it's a bit too much after the disappointment of usum and I agree I would have prefered these games to be considered spin offs so we wouldn't have expected a traditional main serie game this year. But hey, they will simply take my money next year and not this year so XD (if the games will be good clearly).

I'm not gonna lie, Yellow remake(s) are exactly what they needed to do to pull me back in. After USUM I was so burnt out of Pokemon, I've hardly posted on here or played the games in the past year. Alola this, Alola that, trial this, easy-mode hand-holding that. Just give me the old school formula back, it's what worked for over 15 years, the change was welcome in SM, not so much in USUM. I'm excited, whether these are remakes, reboots, sequels, I don't really care, that trailer was phenomenal, I've had a Switch for about half a year, knowing this day would come.

Designing the maps a lot faster in order to put more focus on Gen 8.
I know right, that is evident on many points, like the pokemon walking, did you notice how Electrode is rolling. They really put work in to detail there, so it makes also sense there to be just 151 pokemon, as doing all the models would take much more time, even more if they used new pokemon. These games are really just for bridging, nostalgia, getting go players, getting new players and kids not familiar with Pokemon, all them to join the Pokemon franchise. Testing things out, getting used to switch hardware. Experimenting with new ideas and looking back at fan reactions. It‘s seems pretty clever from Gamefreaks standpoint. Future games will really benefit from these games.

I'm going to wait for the trailers to see if the games are worth it to buy at launch for full price. If there are no Pokémon/new forms it’s a no sale for me since even ORAS and USUM of all things managed to include new Pokemon and forms.

I know right, that is evident on many points, like the pokemon walking, did you notice how Electrode is rolling. They really put work in to detail there so, it makes also sense there to be just 151 pokemon, as doing all the models would take much more time,

They already have following Pokemon animations for all the Pokemon so this argument doesn’t make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom