• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... Who here excited for gen 8 2019?
giphy.gif

I wonder what rumors are true now. We can ignore any Kanto ones, but now we have a lot of others.

Any rumor that didn't mention LGPE should be dismissed, really. The 2019 games aren't being localized yet, either.

SodiumChloride said:
I hope gen 8 looks much better than LGPE and has a much longer main story (35-40 hours compared to the usual 25)
The fact that it has been in development before the switch even released is a good sign
1. It will be under 40 hours as per Masuda.
2. It's likely been in development since Ohmori finished with SM. A total of 3 years would make it the same as XY and SM.

In GO, catching Pokemon gives experience, as well as how stylishly you throw the ball. (Catch on first try, ball hits pogey without touching the ground, etc.) You also get experience and a major stat boost for evolving pokemon. Depending on the Pokemon's physical attributes, they will do different things to dodge the ball that you have to be aware of. Ghosts/floating Water types/etc. float to the left or right to dodge your ball, rock types will sometimes outright deflect it off of their hide, small pokemon like Caterpie and Poliwag jump up and stomp the ground. Flying types fly up in a loop or fly straight up to dodge. Their body sizes affect how easy it is to target them (although you can huck a ball right at A-Exeggutor's chest and hit it every time so far). Omanyte is a pain because it is so low to the ground and you have to lob the ball slowly and softly.

After that, you have different types of berries that aid in catching. Nanab makes Pokemon calm down from dodging, while Razz increases catch rate.

While I understand people's complaints about the dumbing down of the series, there is a challenge to the GO catching mechanics that I feel is being underestimated. And I'm a player who prefers the classic catching formula of damage, sleep, then ultra ball. Trust me, if you had to damage the pokemon on top of watching for behaviors and judging throw arcs, you'd tear your hair out. The throwing is enough of a puzzle that I feel comfortable about their decision to cut wild battles for this game.

Having said all of that, and as I said before, I'm hoping that the leveling/strengthening makes sense and you don't have to catch and release 400 Magikarp to get your Gyarados. Because that IS what you have to do in GO. You can set is as your walking Pokemon so that it gains more candies to work it's way to evolving passively, but it's still 4-freaking-hundred. I have my Swablu set as my buddy, and we're only at 40 after stray catches and walking.

Ok... and? What's the issue?
GF/Nintendo never said Pokemon Switch would be released this year. They always had "2018 or later" as the release date.
All you have to do is wait a year.
Maybe you should have read the all conversation cause I think you didn't catch the point of my comment.

I honestly can't wrap my head around the suffocating negativity in the discussion of these games already, after only a 3 minute reveal trailer. Even for those who don't like the idea of this game and don't want to buy it, we finally got a release window for Generation 8, as well as new spin-off for the Switch.

In fact, GF looks to be aiming at more 'casual' fans and GO players rather 'hardcore' fans with these games. In my opinion, this is only positive. This way, GF might be able to better tailor their games for these differing, though overlapping, groups of players instead of needing to severely compromise on important aspects in order to please every single type of fan. Furthermore, I think there are many people who will adore these games, and I since I'm a Kanto fan, I also look forward to them. LPGE looks to be a perfect fit for a large part of the existing Pokémon playerbase, while at the same time being accessable and appealing to newcomers looking for a fresh starting point in the series.

Naturally, everyone is entitled to their opinions, whether they be positive or negative, but I prefer to not to continue to read the overwhelming amount of disappointed and angry posts on here. Perhaps, once the dust has settled, I will return to this thread again.

Graphics wise, im guessing they give us a non chibi lets go style. It makes sense if they are really splitting "main series" into casual and competitive paths (not sure i like those labels but cant think of better ones at this time) it would make sense for them to look different as to not get them confused with each other. Pokemon models I expect to stay the same though

Any rumor that didn't mention LGPE should be dismissed, really. The 2019 games aren't being localized yet, either.

1. It will be under 40 hours as per Masuda.
2. It's likely been in development since Ohmori finished with SM. A total of 3 years would make it the same as XY and SM.
He actually said he was unsure if the game would be 40 hours or not

Quite a few of those leaks may be for the 2019 game, because they don't specify a release date. They include:
IRUV "Freelancer from the Future" leaker
Dex Leak
Unverified Chinese Leak
YouTube Leak
Marble Leak

But still, every leak that states that something other than LGPE is coming next year should be thrown out. They include:
Anonymous Leaker
Switch Leaker

That's why we shouldn't call leaks fake yet.
Because the leaks that talk about a new region could well be the 2019 game.
Most leaks declared their games to be Game Freak's first Switch games. The content might not be enough to prove them fake, but statements like that certainly do.
Even Plus and Minus could be real.
I wonder what it will take to finally put +- to rest? Geno claimed the game was well into development (story, features, and new Pokémon were all ready to be leaked) in 2014. He also claimed they would be Gen 7, and had no knowledge of ORAS, SuMo, USUM, or LGPE, citing XY as the game to bring Pokemon from. (And that's skipping his errors on other games) At what point do we let it go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom