• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I found a translation of a Q&A after the conference yesterday: Pokemon 2018 Video Game Press Conference - full Q&A transcript - Nintendo Everything

idk if it's a translation error, but Ishihara said that "They’ll actually be different games as all-new Pokémon series entries, kind of like how Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, and then Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, were new games within the main series."

Edit: Misread the quote, but still interesting

Last edited:
So I found a translation of a Q&A after the conference yesterday: Pokemon 2018 Video Game Press Conference - full Q&A transcript - Nintendo Everything

idk if it's a translation error, but Ishihara said that "They’ll actually be different games as all-new Pokémon series entries, kind of like how Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, and then Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, were new games within the main series."

It’s not an error. That article is copied directly from the translation of the Q&A on the official site.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that's just implying a new gen.
I think it's obvious they mean Gen 8 next year, otherwise they wouldn't have announced it LITERALLY right after LGPE.

I don't know why people think otherwise.
I just made a quick edit to my post before you guys posted, turns out I misread and realized they were talking about the 2019 core RPG game. Still, interesting information

So these have been stated to been in development since before the release of the switch. Most limely when gamefreak got their dev kit. Most limely 2016 or 2015. Definitely before the release of SM. Who do we think the director is?

And that magazine that said Pokémon Gen 8 will be on the switch came from Spain as well. That could be interesting.
Pretty sure that's just coincidence-the magazine also claimed Gen 8 would be the first Pokemon Switch game, so they likely didn't have real insider info. (It's not like previous locations used for inspiration got any extra info, either)
I wonder if some rumors are still debunked now that we know Let's Go and Gen 8 were being worked on in tandem, meaning there might still be insider info.
PokemonTrainerV had a good list of leaks that were proven fake by the recent announcement. Here's what he had:
Trailer Leak (March 2018)
Polish Leak (January 2018)
Unknown Twitter leak imo should be removed since it has nothing of substance. Same goes for Chinese Forum.
YouTube Leak (December 2017)
Reddit leak should be remove imo since it contains nothing of substance.
Switch leaker (September 2017)
Dex Leak (May 2017)
IRUV Freelancer
Anonymous Leaker (Augur 2017)
Regions Region leak is also most probably fake.

Last edited:
So, was the oha suta thing just a dud? Did no new news come out of there? You would think they would reveal the mysterious pokémon at least.

So, was the oha suta thing just a dud? Did no new news come out of there? You would think they would reveal the mysterious pokémon at least.

I think it was just a recap

They probably want to keep the new Pokémon secret for a while. There’s no need to blow everything about the games right away, and that new Pokémon is probably one of the more interesting things that these games will have to offer. We have enough to chew on right now.

I think it was just a recap

They probably want to keep the new Pokémon secret for a while. There’s no need to blow everything about the games right away, and that new Pokémon is probably one of the more interesting things that these games will have to offer. We have enough to chew on right now.
Yeah, good point.

I just realized I dislike how LPLE looks, the colors are so bland like pokemon go they look like toys, anyone knows if gen8 will follow this art direction?

So what do you think the 8th gen games will take from LGPE? There's several things this game is doing that would make good additions to the series. I'm thinking:

-Pokemon in the overworld
-Co-op mode
-Pokemon following

I also want to see the capture mechanics carry over, but not as a replacement for wild Pokemon battles. Instead, you weaken the Pokemon like normal, then use motion controls to throw. The more accurate the throw, the higher the capture rate, and if you hit the Pokemon dead on it's a Critical Capture.

So what do you think the 8th gen games will take from LGPE? There's several things this game is doing that would make good additions to the series. I'm thinking:

-Co-op mode
-Pokemon following

I also want to see the capture mechanics carry over, but not as a replacement for wild Pokemon battles. Instead, you weaken the Pokemon like normal, then use motion controls to throw. The more accurate the throw, the higher the capture rate, and if you hit the Pokemon dead on it's a Critical Capture.
Still think people will be mad at the change

-Co-op mode
-Pokemon following

The two I bolded are the most I'm looking forward to. Not only just pokemon appearing on the field, but as I mentioned previously, as pokemon we can ride or surf on. Anticipating a lot more variety here.

The Co-op mode could also have a lot of potential. Maybe they could give players the choice to enter a battle in different formats like Doubles, allowing two people to take charge of half the party members.

I think pokemon following and overworld pokemon will remain too. Gamefreak's said a big focus they were trying to push was making the world feel more "alive" and human/pokemon interaction so those features both fit really well.

I also honestly don't expect the visuals to look that different from LGPE tbh. Imo the character models will go back to being taller and since the region will have been made from the ground up, we'll ditch the grid-based design again, so the games will look fine if not slightly more impressive.

I can actually see following Pokemon return, the animations for all the current ones were already created. I would actually like to see them add a cosmetic feature to them though. Let us transform them into their temporary forms in the overworld, but have them start battle at their normal forms. That way, the intended way would still be there while allowing us to see a form in the overworld that we wouldn't otherwise see.

I'm guessing that Gen 8 will take place in a Spanish region. Mainly because of that one NPC in a town with a lighthouse (can't remember the name at the moment) speak some lines in Spanish. This really reminds me of that backpacker in Kalos who was revealed to be from Alola.
There's also an NPC that speaks Spanish in Gen V and Possibly one in Gen VI. I doubt that it will be Spain (could be cool, though).

EDIT: I hope Pokémon in the overworld stay. I really, really hate the random battle mechanic from every single RPG I played, especially the frequency, and it will make it easier to find the Pokémon that I want. I'm still bitter after spending SIX HOURS looking for an Eevee in Pokémon Moon, and three hours for one Bagon. And once I found them, I didn't feel satisfied at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom